Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I didn't tune in for this episode, but KQED Forum owns.

Michael Krasny has gotten a lot crankier in the time I've been listening to him (16 years). He's pretty much the living embodiment of the hot tub Marin liberal. There have been some really good shows though. I particularly liked his interview with Studs Terkel.

...but they love to poo poo on my A's, so they can go gently caress themselves.

I can only take so much of Democracy Now! I'm pretty much in line with their politics, but if I ever hear her mention oh bee tee dubs, I was in East Timor again, I will shoot myself. And her pronunciation drives me up the wall, mILLions....

The better show on KFPA is Letters and Politics, but even they have tried to turn it into a call-in show like forum, except their callers are even nuttier and less worth listening to.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I haven't listened to Forum regularly for about four years now - it used to be my go-to for commute time driving.

I didn't ever hate it. The moderator, Michael Krasny, is a decent interviewer. Unfortunately, he has "being aggressively fair" syndrome, an extremely widespread problem with modern journalism where if you have someone on your show with A Opinion, you have to have someone else on the show with the opposite opinion, no matter what. This apparently makes for more exciting debates, but when one guest's opinion is mostly or entirely correct - backed by facts, well-researched, whatever - and the others is objectively horseshit, this approach is maddening.

I want my news people to do loving analysis, not just let two people with opposing opinions have some kind of equal-time debate. Debates have their place, but they're not always the best way to explore a topic.

Whoever screens the callers and picks the emails to be read on the air also does a pretty garbage job at filtering for useful questions that add to the discussion. I realize it's not always possible to know in advance that the question someone wants to ask will turn out to be wildly tangental or meandering or actually just an excuse to tell their own anecdote (which is never not annoying), but I rarely heard a question posed by the public that I thought was actually a good question, and half the time the guests or Michael simply didn't answer it anyway, or started to answer it and then went off on a tangent.

All that said, I don't find it to be a bad show. If it was, I wouldn't have listened to it regularly. But I don't think it's as good as it should be, and the fact that it's actually extremely good in comparison to the alternatives is really really depressing.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

You sound real mad and you must be talking about 96.9 THE EAGLE
I don't like driving to Sacramento and THE EAGLE is one of the stations, I could swear there's another one but the radio in the car doesn't scan and the presets don't work because the car touchscreen is from 2001.

quote:

The host of forum asks good questions and the show addresses most important Bay Area issues. The idiot callers are a feature.

"We'll let that comment stand and move to the next caller"
I think Krasny asks mediocre to poor softball questions that, even on topics I know almost nothing about, come across as too basic. Like "hey so you're a mathematician working on black hole theory, can you tell me how much I should tip on delivery pizza? Now let's get some questions from email, Gargamel from Larkspur asks how do I catch these smurfs?"

Two hours later you've learned nothing except that you could have been ruminating on the nature of the universe or planning out the rest of your day to make sure you get to Sonic for happy hour. God forbid you get a topic like vaccinations where an anti-vaxxer will get uninterrupted air time for a minute or two and the pushback is super weak (this assumes that they haven't booked an epidemiologist and a naturopath to both be guests).

If the show was only an hour it wouldn't be so bad.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Forum, talk of the nation (dead, i know ), and science friday, are total garbage.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'll sometimes listen to KGO and I've noticed that whenever whackjob callers end up on the radio (same for she I accidentally hear from one of Rush Limbaug's fluffers while turning the dial) and I noticed the same kind of hate spewing people on Facebook have a very distinctive cadence to their voice, sort of like a tour guide having to yell over the sound of a pneumatic hammer in the background.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Michael Crasny is a complete joke but you guys should distinguish between KQED (which produces Forum) and NPR (which produces a bunch of other content that KQED broadcasts).

The problem with Crasny is he asks terrible questions that oftentimes even the guests struggle to turn into an interesting question, he frequently cuts off responses right as they're heading in an interesting direction, and he loves to insert his own anecdotes that barely relate to what the guest is saying. I actually think Forum is a much better show when any of the various guest hosts take over, like Scott Shafer.

The best thing, by far, that KQED broadcasts is Fresh Air. Now there is someone who knows how to do an interview.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Papercut posted:

The best thing, by far, that KQED broadcasts is Fresh Air. Now there is someone who knows how to do an interview.
I don't listen to Fresh Air much since it doesn't line up with my commute, but I will never forgive Terri Gross for interviewing Allie Brosh (of Hyperbole and a Half fame) about her struggles with depression and suicide, something she was still struggling with at the time of the interview, and straight-up asking her live on air, "You said that you became suicidal. How were you planning to kill yourself?"

I'm sure she's done some amazing interviews over the years, but holy goddamn poo poo that was chilling. :stonk:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Michael Krasny has gotten a lot crankier in the time I've been listening to him (16 years). He's pretty much the living embodiment of the hot tub Marin liberal. There have been some really good shows though. I particularly liked his interview with Studs Terkel.

...but they love to poo poo on my A's, so they can go gently caress themselves.

I can only take so much of Democracy Now! I'm pretty much in line with their politics, but if I ever hear her mention oh bee tee dubs, I was in East Timor again, I will shoot myself. And her pronunciation drives me up the wall, mILLions....

The better show on KFPA is Letters and Politics, but even they have tried to turn it into a call-in show like forum, except their callers are even nuttier and less worth listening to.

KPFA was broadcasting some building 7 truther poo poo the when I checked it out recently.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

The only reason I listen to forum is so I can hear the guests (who are often legitimately good) answer from callers. Callers are usually incoherent of course, and Krasney is milquetoast as gently caress and boring - but since the whole program is like 2 hours you're guaranteed to get at least one nugget of decent discussion out of the whole ordeal.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

For a hot minute they had this show called "So Well Spoken" that had black hosts and guests discussing race issues and it was really smart and interesting, but the callers were always racist NIMBY neolib types who would ask the cringiest poo poo imaginable, like "I wanted to show my young granddaughter how lively the black community is, so I started taking her to a black church and going to the black women's post-sermon coffee. They didn't make me feel as welcome as I think they should have; how do I let them know this is reverse racism?"

I assume the show is no longer on because the hosts heads probably exploded.

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

Dead Reckoning posted:

:lol: what are you on? First, as noted above, "being selected as a vendor to provide goods and services to the government" is generally not held to be a constitutional right.

No, but if it's in retaliation for constitutionally-protected speech acts, it's a direct violation of the first amendment. Just like it would be unconstitutional for a state to deny drivers' licenses to anyone who's spoken up in favor of marriage equality, even if receiving a driver's license is not a right in and of itself.

quote:

The government has pretty wide latitude in how it awards contracts, which is why they are allowed to favor minority/disabled/etc businesses.

That latitude does not extend to saying "anyone who expresses opinion A is barred from receiving government contracts."

quote:

Second, commercial activity is generally not considered to be protected speech.

Boycotts certainly are.

quote:

Finally, the government has a compelling interest in prohibiting U.S. companies from participating in foreign-organized boycotts, which is how the federal anti-boycott law works.

The federal anti-boycott law has never been used, largely because it's understood that it wouldn't survive constitutional scrutiny. The right to engage in free speech, including boycotts, trumps the government's interest in preventing US organizations and individuals from expressing opinions about foreign affairs.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I just listen to CDs in my car. :shrug:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I just listen to CDs in my car. :shrug:

You'd think Hitler would have a juicier gay secret.

Forum is good because it gets good guests and covers local issues, particularly election issues, well. Nowhere else are you going to find an hour long discussion about a single ballot proposition with the actual pro and con agents debating each other. Just the other day they had a full hour on prop Q

For all it's other failings, I still listen for that. I like that I can listen to the podcast and pick and choose based on topics.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I haven't listened to Forum regularly for about four years now - it used to be my go-to for commute time driving.

I didn't ever hate it. The moderator, Michael Krasny, is a decent interviewer. Unfortunately, he has "being aggressively fair" syndrome, an extremely widespread problem with modern journalism where if you have someone on your show with A Opinion, you have to have someone else on the show with the opposite opinion, no matter what. This apparently makes for more exciting debates, but when one guest's opinion is mostly or entirely correct - backed by facts, well-researched, whatever - and the others is objectively horseshit, this approach is maddening.

I want my news people to do loving analysis, not just let two people with opposing opinions have some kind of equal-time debate. Debates have their place, but they're not always the best way to explore a topic.

Whoever screens the callers and picks the emails to be read on the air also does a pretty garbage job at filtering for useful questions that add to the discussion. I realize it's not always possible to know in advance that the question someone wants to ask will turn out to be wildly tangental or meandering or actually just an excuse to tell their own anecdote (which is never not annoying), but I rarely heard a question posed by the public that I thought was actually a good question, and half the time the guests or Michael simply didn't answer it anyway, or started to answer it and then went off on a tangent.

All that said, I don't find it to be a bad show. If it was, I wouldn't have listened to it regularly. But I don't think it's as good as it should be, and the fact that it's actually extremely good in comparison to the alternatives is really really depressing.

The idea of a forum is a place open to public expression no matter how objectively horseshit or entirely correct it may be. There's an argument to be made about how educational/informative such a place is, but I think it has at least some advantages over a "here's the correct opinion and why its correct" approach.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the goal of the show is not to necessarily come to a conclusion about what opinion is correct or explore the topic in the best possible way but rather to explore the topic in this one specific way that gives a voice to practically anyone who wants to express themselves.

Its also worth saying for people not familiar with the program that many times they will only have one side of a story so its not always a pro/anti discussion that is taking place.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BattleHamster posted:

The idea of a forum is a place open to public expression no matter how objectively horseshit or entirely correct it may be. There's an argument to be made about how educational/informative such a place is, but I think it has at least some advantages over a "here's the correct opinion and why its correct" approach.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the goal of the show is not to necessarily come to a conclusion about what opinion is correct or explore the topic in the best possible way but rather to explore the topic in this one specific way that gives a voice to practically anyone who wants to express themselves.

Its also worth saying for people not familiar with the program that many times they will only have one side of a story so its not always a pro/anti discussion that is taking place.

Yeah except when Krasny talks over the guest to explain how his opinion is the correct one and they're wrong aaand now to a caller

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I really like WNYC's On the Media. I listen to their podcast during my commute, but I think I've also caught it being rebroadcast here.

This set of interviews comes to mind as particularly good: Part 1 (9 mins) Part 2 (8 mins) - or if you're in a rush, just skip to 4m30s on Part 2

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ITT we reveal ourselves to be such bougie bastards that we have strong opinions about the tier rankings of NPR "news" shows.

My least favorite one has got to be Marketplace hosted by Ky "Ignorant Smuglord" Ryssdal. Quit clowning around you gently caress, the economy is people's lives. :argh:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

^Marketplace isn't NPR
:goonsay:

KALW > KQED if only because they give the school lunch menu.

Also 99% Invisible is produced in beautiful downtown Oakland and is a good show.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
how do people even listen to radio in the bay area; there's zero stations that will come in consistently

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

lancemantis posted:

how do people even listen to radio in the bay area; there's zero stations that will come in consistently

Lots of presets.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

ITT we reveal ourselves to be such bougie bastards that we have strong opinions about the tier rankings of NPR "news" shows.

My least favorite one has got to be Marketplace hosted by Ky "Ignorant Smuglord" Ryssdal. Quit clowning around you gently caress, the economy is people's lives. :argh:

I can be so much more smug bagging my whole foods groceries into my public radio tote bag.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

I can be so much more smug bagging my whole foods groceries into my public radio tote bag.

Ugh, good job shopping at libro-terian Whole Foods, I only shop at Berkeley Bowl where I buy my non-irradiated mangos and bhuddas hand I use in my homemade kombucha :v:

Kobe Bryant
Nov 16, 2010
For what it's worth, Kai Ryssdal did take a huge poo poo on David Malpass (Trump's economic advisor).

Has anyone seen any recent survey results for Prop 53? With all the focus on 64 and 51, I feel like 53 isn't getting as much attention as it deserves.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Trabisnikof posted:

Also 99% Invisible is produced in beautiful downtown Oakland and is a good show.
99pi loving owns and is the main reason I bothered to setup podcasts thru my car. nearly every ep is really informative and good, and not nearly as obnoxious sound editing as radiolabs, gently caress radiolabs

and it's produced in beautiful downtown Oakland

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

Ugh, good job shopping at libro-terian Whole Foods, I only shop at Berkeley Bowl where I buy my non-irradiated mangos and bhuddas hand I use in my homemade kombucha :v:

Berkeley bowl, or berkeley bowl west?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

99pi loving owns and is the main reason I bothered to setup podcasts thru my car. nearly every ep is really informative and good, and not nearly as obnoxious sound editing as radiolabs, gently caress radiolabs

i donated in order to get the challenge coin

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lancemantis posted:

West is the the best. Mostly because the Ashby one is a clusterfuck

Monterrey Market is where its at tho (and I live like 2 blocks away which is nice)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Forum is good because they cover a huge range of topics including a lot of local issues that barely get discussed longer than two minutes anywhere else. Krasny does his homework on every topic, and you can tell when a guest starts spouting the factoids Krasny went over the night before because he'll start mentioning facts of his own. The callers are ridiculous but no more so than any other radio show that accepts public calls. About 10% of the shows are awful due to boring topics or guests, but YMMV on which 10% those are. Mina Kim does a good job filling in on Fridays, the other guest hosts range from okay to needs to get a non-radio job. They replay an hour of it late at night after BBC World that I sometimes catch when coming home from the gym.

Prairie Home Companion is still the best thing on NPR, though now that it's getting a new host instead of being retired that may change very quickly.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Xaris posted:

99pi is indeed good, but I'm worried that they're kinda getting too full of themselves. The whole challenge coin thing is kinda ridiculous and half their episodes now seem to be content scraped from other podcasts or smaller NPR shows. It's still a good show, but I worry that Roman Mars's ego is gonna pass the Ira Glass "inflated but tolerable" stage and end up at the Garrison Keillor "so huge it's an active fight to hold back the searing contempt for his audience (and everyone else)" level.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I like having satellite radio now because I can just listen to BBC World Service reliably wherever I go

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tokyo fish market for my blocked sashimi-grade, and also those triangle things
99 ranch for everything else

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

lancemantis posted:

I like having satellite radio now because I can just listen to BBC World Service reliably wherever I go

You can just do that with shortwave!

Oh, gotcha.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Doc Hawkins posted:

You can just do that with shortwave!

Oh, gotcha.

Yeah, BBC Shortwave hasn't been beamed at North America since 2001. Now all you can get is the occasional news broadcast, hour of live coverage (like 9-10PM on KQED) or co-productions like The World, to the extent that there's any OTA coverage in the US at all.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

We're in the regional politics thread of a debate board of a dead nerd forum you have to pay to join. I don't think there was much doubt that we would also have NPR tier rankings.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
So I care intensely about prop 55, but the excitement seems less than prop 30 was so I'm a little scared. I was reading an article on prop 55's Facebook and the comments were off the wall. This was the best. Public page so I did not bother to remove names.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bast Relief posted:

So I care intensely about prop 55, but the excitement seems less than prop 30 was so I'm a little scared. I was reading an article on prop 55's Facebook and the comments were off the wall. This was the best. Public page so I did not bother to remove names.

Polling suggests it's going to pass easily.

Also I just saw a table of the California income tax brackets as adjusted by prop 30 and :lol: if 55 doesn't pass the the highest tax rates flatline at 9.3%, a single filer making $56k would be in the same bracket as someone making over $526k.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FreshlyShaven posted:

No, but if it's in retaliation for constitutionally-protected speech acts, it's a direct violation of the first amendment. Just like it would be unconstitutional for a state to deny drivers' licenses to anyone who's spoken up in favor of marriage equality, even if receiving a driver's license is not a right in and of itself.

The federal anti-boycott law has never been used, largely because it's understood that it wouldn't survive constitutional scrutiny. The right to engage in free speech, including boycotts, trumps the government's interest in preventing US organizations and individuals from expressing opinions about foreign affairs.
TBH, I think you'd have an uphill climb to convince any court that the govt can't consider participation in a foreign organized boycott when selecting suppliers.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

lancemantis posted:

After moving away from Berkeley I've gotten over not having the greatest supply of produce but I'll never get over just how nice it is to pick up some groceries and not want to punch a child in the face.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Does Berkeley bowl have Buddha's Hand in right now bc if it does i need to head up there again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Sydin posted:

Polling suggests it's going to pass easily.

Also I just saw a table of the California income tax brackets as adjusted by prop 30 and :lol: if 55 doesn't pass the the highest tax rates flatline at 9.3%, a single filer making $56k would be in the same bracket as someone making over $526k.

Well that makes me feel better, thanks!
All the argle bargle on Facebook was mostly about asking why we can't just use the lottery money or claiming that California schools are failing while always using LA schools as an example. I know...don't read the comments.