Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Um, excuse me, United States vampires protect the American people by running a powerful anti-supernatural U.S. government agency. They're heroes, if you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

nrook posted:

Um, excuse me, United States vampires protect the American people by running a powerful anti-supernatural U.S. government agency. They're heroes, if you think about it.

:patriot: God bless America!

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

nrook posted:

Vampires running Task Force: VALKYRIE always seemed like kind of a cop-out to me. If I were Emperor of all nWoD canon, first thing I'd say (if forced to speak at all) is that TFV is bankrolled by a U.S. Department of Defense slush fund that bleeds money out of various bloated defense budgets. Like say, some military top brass asked to buy a hammer, and they wanted $400 to get it, or something wacky, for a classified DOD project. Spend $5 on the hammer, and the other $395 goes to fund the R&D team at TFV that makes laser cannons and poo poo to crisp up vampires slightly faster. A conveniently-placed, untraceable money pit for all sorts of political uses!

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Task Force: VALKYRIE is clearly run by a committee composed of every splat. Except for Beasts. No one likes them.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Beasts are the Ted Cruz of the WoDCofD.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Beasts are the Ted Cruz of the WoDCofD.

Then what's the Donald Trump? :stare:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

Kavak posted:

Then what's the Donald Trump? :stare:

The Seers have ensured that Donald Trump is the president.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The mention of Usiel earlier had me check the comprehensive noddism stuff for which angel did what curse. That bit isn't important, but it highlighted why taking the side-by-side view is really neat sometimes. This is combining Erciyes, Lilith Genesis Fragment, and Nod entries that sit side by side, ostensibly as different conversations, into a single weaving. In the first and fourth paragraphs, he's speaking to Lilith, demanding to be an equal; in the second, he's raging against an angel and against YHVH, and in the third, Lilith is joining Jehovah. It dovetails fairly nicely with the conventional Caine and Lilith narrative, but it adds additional depth. We can also read the second paragraph as Lilith's response to the request - "Lilith loved me, and I knew this. Lilith would do what I asked, Though she did not wish it." flowing into 'I gave him my heart's own worship' and then being cast out for offering blood - rather than as part of Caine's own speech.

"Caine said, “Even so, a life without
Power
Will not be worth living.
I would die without your gifts.
I will not live as your Thrall.

I gave Him my heart’s own
Worship,
And He deemed it unworthy.
I offered Him up the fruit of all
My labours,
And he deemed it too little.
And when I offered Him blood, as
He had taught me to do,
He cast me out."

He took her there in Heaven,
And He knew her as a mate.
For seven days and seven nights,
She sat upon His lap and He sat within hers.

And so, Lilith, bright-eyed Lilith,
Awakened me.
She cut herself with a knife
Bled for me into a bowl.
I drank deep. It was sweet."

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

White Wolf is really missing out on not hiring Loomer to write the setting Bible.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Incidentally here are the Grand masquerade videos, including the Q&A that apparently got everyone riled.

Keynote Address
Q&A

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Ministry of Mammon, specifically.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Obligatum VII posted:

Ministry of Mammon, specifically.

Are they the ones that perform all their rituals while blasting "head like a hole" over the speakers?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rubix Squid posted:

Task Force: VALKYRIE is clearly run by a committee composed of every splat. Except for Beasts. No one likes them.

I prefer the idea that every single splat is certain they're secretly behind Task Force Valkyrie and that all the other guys are just small time players.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion: 187k and counting.

quote:

Welcome back, faithful readers! A lot of folks have been asking for how PSPs work, so here’s a preview of the Æsir and Shén Pantheon Signature Purviews.
Each pantheon has its own unique Signature Purview, encompassing the unique qualities and cultural magic of the pantheon and its followers. Scions gain access to the Signature Purview of their divine parent’s Pantheon (A Scion whose parent is in multiple pantheons, or has parents from two different pantheons, must choose one). Relics and Guides cannot grant access to a Signature Purview.
Æsir Signature Purview: Wyrd
The Wyrd Purview encompasses the magic used by the Æsir and their worshippers to foretell and manipulate the fates spun by the Nornir. These include galdr (spells and charms) cast through runes or chanting, spá (prophecy), and the practice of seiðr in emulation of the Nornir.
Innate Power: You have a personal fate that you know you are destined to meet. This might be a death whose circumstances mirror those of your divine parent’s fated doom in Ragnarok, a betrayal by those closest to you, the failure of an ambition, or some similar dramatic downfall. Whenever you encounter narrative difficulties that advance your fate or echo its circumstances, or because you are trying to avoid your fate, you gain 1 Momentum.

Cast the Runes
Cost: Free
Duration: One session
Action: Complex
Once per session, you may perform a divination by casting runes etched onto stones, strips of bark, or other objects in a ritual that takes one scene to complete. The Storyguide gives you a lead or a clue about what will happen in the near future (i.e. what they expect to happen in the current session).
If you use a boon or marvel later in the same session, and the Storyguide agrees that it will help in bringing about the foretold events, you may “cash in” the divination for this session in place of spending or imbuing 1 Legend towards that power’s cost.

Spin the Thread
Cost: Imbue 1 Legend
Duration: Condition
Subject: One character
Range: Infinite
Action: Complex
You use the art of seiðr to lay a blessing or curse on another character, entering into a ritual trance that lasts one scene and envisioning their future. You predict a specific triumph or downfall the character will face, and impose a Condition that represents this destiny on them. If an action is likely to bring about the foretold fate, the Condition provides Enhancement 2. Actions that struggle against this destiny have their Difficulty increased by 1, or by 2 if they would make it outright impossible for it to come to fruition. These effects cut both ways—a blessing might make it more difficult for a warrior to undertake a plan if it would lead to his defeat, while a curse might give a foe an Enhancement on actions that lead to their downfall.
This Condition resolves once the outcome you have predicted comes to pass, the Storyguide deems that it is no longer capable of being fulfilled, or you reclaim the Legend imbued in this boon.. It can also be lifted by magic capable of altering destiny, such as marvels of this Purview or the Fortune Purview.

Shén Signature Purview: Tiānming
The Shén order heaven, hell, and the World through a great celestial bureaucracy. At its head is the Jade Emperor, and from him all power flows downward in the form of positions and titles, privileges and responsibilities: the tiānming, or mandate of heaven. This Purview holds sway over the hierarchy of the heavens as well as all mortal bureaucracies, which are seen as Worldly extensions or reflections of the celestial model.
Innate Power: You ignore all Complications from bureaucratic delay, corrupt officials, missing paperwork, long lines at the DMV, or similar obstacles that impede the right functioning of bureaucratic and official institutions.

Celestial Promotion
Duration: Condition
Subject: Self or One character
Range: Short
Action: Simple
You name yourself or another with a title imbued with the authority of Heaven: “Great Sage, Equal to Heaven,” “Protector of Dogs,” “That One God No One Likes,” or something similar. The bestowed title is a Condition. The target’s title is self-evident to anyone who meets him, and people who need aid related to the title’s duties will tend to come to them for help. The title provides Enhancement 2 on rolls to influence characters or form plans whenever the target is able to take advantage of it, but imposes a 2-point Complication where it incurs the displeasure of those they’re working with—cats don’t like the Guardian of Dogs, and no one likes That One God No One Likes.
A character who finds their title disagreeable can resolve this Condition by undertaking a dramatic action that carries significant potential consequences in the service of their title’s duties, finally releasing themselves from its obligations. A spurned lover named “King of the Poorly Endowed Assholes” might resolve the Condition by rounding up a gang of fellow assholes and establishing authority over them with shows of strength and intimidation. If the Scion recovers the Legend imbued in this boon, the Condition also resolves.

Vermillion Tape
Duration: Indefinite
Subject: One organization
Range: Long
Action: Simple
You place a curse on a bureaucracy or similarly structured organization from within range of either its leader or its headquarters. Any member of the organization conducting its official business faces a 4-point Complication. If the Complication is not bought off, the task either takes significantly longer than intended—enough that it occurs narratively “too late”—or it turns out to be misunderstood, resulting in an end product or accomplishment that is not what the character originally intended.
When you use this boon, you can specify a behavior, such as holding weekly prayer rituals or wearing fancy suits, that lets a character ignore this Complication.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Desiden posted:

Incidentally here are the Grand masquerade videos, including the Q&A that apparently got everyone riled.

Keynote Address
Q&A

The more Swedracula talks the more I hate him. Shane's not much better.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I don't know why I looked at the comments. What is wrong with me.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Night10194 posted:

I prefer the idea that every single splat is certain they're secretly behind Task Force Valkyrie and that all the other guys are just small time players.

I still hold to the theory that sure, it's run by vampires but they're super-patriotic vampires and at least one is a founding father with fangs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

unseenlibrarian posted:

I still hold to the theory that sure, it's run by vampires but they're super-patriotic vampires and at least one is a founding father with fangs.

Alexander Hamilton is going to massively strengthen the federal system and allow for elite government NO MATTER THE COST to his sanity or soul.

Sadly, he was in Torpor while Jackson was president and the Ghoul he sent after him had both his pistols misfire.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

I don't know why I looked at the comments. What is wrong with me.

Jesus Christ. "HOW DARE THESE SJWS ASK THESE QUESTIONS THIS IS WHY WE WANT TO RAPE THEM IN RPGS!"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Mors Rattus posted:

Scion: 187k and counting.
I thought enhancements were supposed to be pretty rare and powerful?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

paradoxGentleman posted:

I thought enhancements were supposed to be pretty rare and powerful?

Yeah, that title power seems way too easy to boost. Just name yourself "The Kicker of rear end" and suddenly you're at Enhancement 2 for all combat actions. Or tag your enemy with "The Weak And Pathetic Minion of <Your Name Here>" and bam! 2 complications to anything they do to resist you. There doesn't even seem to be a roll to resist getting a title.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kaza42 posted:

Yeah, that title power seems way too easy to boost. Just name yourself "The Kicker of rear end" and suddenly you're at Enhancement 2 for all combat actions. Or tag your enemy with "The Weak And Pathetic Minion of <Your Name Here>" and bam! 2 complications to anything they do to resist you. There doesn't even seem to be a roll to resist getting a title.

Note what the bonus and complication are for - only social actions to influence others and to form plans. The Kicker of rear end is no better at kicking rear end, the Sissy Man no worse. Rather, they are better at convincing others they are that thing, worse at dealing with others who dislike that thing. Also everyone instinctively knows you are that thing.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I'm always a little confused at why those full on misogynistic types get involved in White Wolf games. Its not like they're the least bit subtle about being left oriented in general, and pro-feminist in specific in many of their lines. Socially awkward people with unexamined underlying misogyny, definitely. People rolling their eyes at the current internet landscape of social justice, or at the particular American brand of feminism, sure maybe. But full on MRAs? Seems like the texts would be about as welcoming to them as Texas Tea Party pamphlets are to Mexicans.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mors Rattus posted:

Note what the bonus and complication are for - only social actions to influence others and to form plans. The Kicker of rear end is no better at kicking rear end, the Sissy Man no worse. Rather, they are better at convincing others they are that thing, worse at dealing with others who dislike that thing. Also everyone instinctively knows you are that thing.

I actually did miss that. It's not as bad, but being able to give a persistent +2 enhancement to influence rolls for being "The Most Persuasive Man In The World", since that seems easy to take advantage of and the power just says Influence Rolls, is still a bit worrying - although more in the "Let's see how the rules go" rather than "Immediate red flashing light"

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Desiden posted:

I'm always a little confused at why those full on misogynistic types get involved in White Wolf games. Its not like they're the least bit subtle about being left oriented in general, and pro-feminist in specific in many of their lines. Socially awkward people with unexamined underlying misogyny, definitely. People rolling their eyes at the current internet landscape of social justice, or at the particular American brand of feminism, sure maybe. But full on MRAs? Seems like the texts would be about as welcoming to them as Texas Tea Party pamphlets are to Mexicans.

They have very selective readings, which usually emphasise 'dark', 'real', and 'gritty' over what's actually in the material, what's actually in reality, and what's actually gritty rather than edgelordy. Quite a lot of them also tend to embrace the fascist aspects of the setting, which are definitely there as either a deliberate thing to oppose or an accidental 'poo poo, we just made hitler right about the secret cabal trying to ruin Germany, didn't we' implication. Unfortunately, they don't realize that's meant to be the enemy, either because it was very badly handled (Tradition vs Technocracy springs to mind) or they're deliberately reading in a dishonest manner and/or they're actually incapable of conducting a deeper reading.

It's the same thing that lets people pretend the oWoD is in any way a setting that cares about realism beyond using the real world as a set dressing, that the Followers of Set and the Baali are redundant, and that every faction should be evil/vile/conservative/assholes because 'this is the world of darkness, not the world of fluffy happiness'. It's the kind of immaturity I had a rant about earlier, which mistakes the set dressing of 'mature themes' for an actual exploration of those themes. It's just being applied to the concept of 'darkness' generally.

A lot of it comes from the fanbase, like for most rpgs if to a lesser degree than say DnD until recently, having entered the hobby as socially awkward teenagers and for a lot of them, they then reinforced the exact opposite traits they should have been building up. There's a lot of stunted growth in this hobby's base, and it comes out in reactionary outlashes over things like 'maybe we shouldn't make the good guys actively hate transgender people' or 'could we perhaps have less unnecessary tits on the cover of RPG books so we can read them in public without looking like total creeps' or 'if they wear a slutty costume to dragoncon, I'm allowed to touch them no matter what, they're asking for it' because the emotional maturity of many people in the hobby is lacking. While we're in something of a golden age for the popularity, acceptability, and mass appeal of various tabletop games thanks to celebrities, the internet, etc, the reality is that the oldschool 'core' of the hobby (and also to a large degree for sci-fi and fantasy in general, though like for TTRPGs this is a massive simplification of the actual audience and communities) picked up a lot of bad habits over the years.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The Seers don't care who's President, as long as they're divisive and create drama, scandal, and conflict.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
Hey guys, there was an interview with Swedish Dracula on the future of the World of Darkness.

http://keepontheheathlands.com/2016/09/30/the-future-of-darkness-an-interview-with-white-wolf-publishing/

Some definite positives; he talked about including supernaturals from places other than europe, and doing so with less prejudice and rose tinted goggles. Someone I have not heard of (Dhaunae De Vir) said "...when exploring dark topics, everyone should be free to choose what experiences and what level of intensity they want to be exposed to and participate in. If some topics are not interesting or if the subject matter is too harsh, there should always be the possibility to opt-out. I want to clarify when I say “too harsh”, I don’t necessarily mean rape. We are role-players, and our imagination is vast and ever-growing." Martin also said in response to the larp drama from the Grand Masquerade "What we did our best to message at The Grand Masquerade was that even though our world is dark and mirrors all kinds of really heavy topics it is important that when larping or participating in any our products, that people do it on the level they think is ok and safe for them. We are also absolutely behind the fan groups playing our games in a way that fits their individual preferences."

Of course, on the downside, Swedish Dracula referenced "the lure of heroic fascism in Werewolf," and the two books he explicitly called out as needing to be updated and republished were ”Shoah: Charnel Houses of Europe” and ”Gypsies” (though in fairness he added that it "Should be called something like 'Opre Roma!' "), which makes me really nervous.

He also concluded with "Army of the Abandoned; the time has come to rise! Blood and Souls!", which based on my larping experience I can only assume was shouted loudly, while wearing a cloak, in a train station parking lot or empty mall food court.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Yessod posted:

Of course, on the downside, Swedish Dracula referenced "the lure of heroic fascism in Werewolf," and the two books he explicitly called out as needing to be updated and republished were ”Shoah: Charnel Houses of Europe” and ”Gypsies” (though in fairness he added that it "Should be called something like 'Opre Roma!' "), which makes me really nervous.

God. drat. IT.

The only appropriate revisit, update, and republishing appropriate for that book is a large donation to various Roma charities and a public 'yeah, sorry about that'.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yessod posted:

Oh good.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Great timing on the fascism line though. Good of Swedish dracula to give quotes that reinforce my post.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I understand precisely what you mean but there is never really good timing for 'The Lure of Heroic Fascism' except maybe as the title of a sociology essay.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This is like a bad joke, like the property was given to him to deliberately sink it.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
There's no mention of if Seoul by Night will be available in English. If not, that necessarily brings The Project to an end with 5E, not to mention if they really do canonize live action and social media play there'll be great trouble when there's non-english sources affecting major change without reliable translations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

5th Edition is not worthy of The Project. Chronicles of Darkness is.

I've got to wonder what Obsidian is thinking looking at what's being done with the property and knowing they're going to have to work with it. Have they stated that video games are going to be using the new continuity, or can they going to set things pre-Gehenna to avoid it?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've been listening to a podcast going over oWoD, and listening to them talk about how easy it was to break the tone and just go around rocket-punching terminators, has anyone ever made a fan supplement that ran with that playstyle?

I mean it's not like it's really necessary-you already have Exalted, and a storyteller had to do was tell his group to leave the Cure albums at home and just have fun, but I still want to see a full treatment that just straight up makes the WoD line-up into an off brand Avengers.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 30, 2016

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Not a fan hack, but NWOD/ChronD had an official-ish April Fool's day sourcebook called Dudes of Legend that went straight into rules hacks for playing badasses in trenchcoats with katanas.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

I've been listening to a podcast going over oWoD, and listening to them talk about how easy it was to break the tone and just go around rocket-punching terminators, has anyone ever made a fan supplement that ran with that playstyle?

I mean it's not like it's really necessary-you already have Exalted, and a storyteller had to do was tell his group to leave the Cure albums at home and just have fun, but I still want to see a full treatment that just straight up makes the WoD line-up into an off brand Avengers.

I'm not sure what else you thought Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand was about

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Yessod posted:

Are you loving kidding me.

Mentioning that you'd like to update some stuff, then mentioning the one oWoD book that handled incredibly dangerous source material with the gravity and respect it deserved in the same breath as the absolute nadir of oWoD's racial deafness, is something you'd expect out of old fans guessing the worst possible announcements you could make.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
There needs to be another, even worse, panel for that webcomic with the dog on fire. It no longer reflects this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Daeren posted:

Are you loving kidding me.

Mentioning that you'd like to update some stuff, then mentioning the one oWoD book that handled incredibly dangerous source material with the gravity and respect it deserved in the same breath as the absolute nadir of oWoD's racial deafness, is something you'd expect out of old fans guessing the worst possible announcements you could make.

I have to ask. Original Gypsies was written by Americans, right? Americans are generally just ignorant of anti-Roma prejudice. The new owners being European means there's more chance that 'Gypsies are thieves and scum' isn't an accidental and ignorant implication, but something the authors are down with.

Especially if it's a European dude who is talking about 'the lure of heroic fascism'.