Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Inject comstar into a star trek au. Subspace comms is run by the cardassians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

AUs are cool and good and I can't understand why anybody would be mad about them.

I guess because some people get very, very invested into a setting and see the idea of alternate universes as somehow disrespectful, as though to say "It's not good enough, it should be changed." Now, that's generally not why AUs are started or thought of, but I can see how some people could see them that way. This would also explain why despite not having to use the AUs, those people are still upset; it's not that other people are enjoying something else, it's the presumed implication that the setting they love so much isn't good enough.

I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AUs make people mad when they're poorly done. If you loved a favorite character from a TV show as a kid, and your parents promised that character was coming to your party, would you be universally happy regardless of result? If the person who showed up to play the character did a good job, you'd be pleased even though it wasn't the "real" character. If the guy playing the character were a drunken homeless pedophile, you would likely be decidedly less pleased about it. Neither person playing the character is any more "real" than the other. They're both AU style characters in their own way.

But you're only going to remember your time in the woodshed with the angry drunken clown, and have a distaste for all of that style of performer regardless.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Some goofy interim scenarios, or going back to try a boarding action, could be fun filler during which PTN gets time to do longer term planning for a new arc.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Vedette's only taking damage on a 10, 11, or 12 on the hit location roll.

Yeah, not a whole lot of good options; might just go head for those 2 height dunes instead, presuming that more units are going to come in from the west and/or north. Especially since it occurs to me that only one or two units might actually be driving forward, depending on if/how many people miss orders.

On the bright side, everybody who wants a realistic Battletech finally got it: all tanks and one "realistically" lovely mech :v:. In fact, I seem to recall Industrial Mechs actually getting a shot penalty, which is even *more* fun with all those machine guns.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 29, 2016

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

PoptartsNinja posted:

My idea's a little different.

The reason the Terran Hegemony stopped where it did was because that was about the limit of the territory Terra could administer directly without bankrupting itself and falling apart, not because they didn't feel like conquering everything else. They still wanted to be in charge--that's what the Star League was all about.

It's still to early to discuss what I'm actually planning, though. Mostly because very little of it is finalized.

I think if the GM of a massive LP thread wants to do something new.Iit's always a good idea to encouraging him/her. Wether or not the new one will be as lvoed as the old one will be known when the new one had some time to shine.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Please don't end the thread before players get to be terminator-style battle armor wearing WoB super cyborgs at least once.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'm mostly worried people won't want to see the current AU "end." There's going to be loose ends no matter what, but I lost a lot of my early notes and vote results with my old computer. I could keep the current thread going forever--but the question is: should I? There's going to be a point where I start contradicting myself and everything's going to turn into a mess (just like what happened in the real universe) and we'll start needing bigger and bigger time-skips to see how things turn out. Especially since it'll be half a year before the rest of the Homeworld clans can show up.

Plus, and this may be a small matter to some, but it isn't to me: this is primarily a BattleTech thread and as much as I really want to experiment with Alpha Strike I'd also feel guilty springing an 8-10 turn Alpha Strike scenario on someone expecting a 15-20 turn BattleTech scenario. Especially when I'm still not entirely familiar with the rules. Things could also go pear-shaped in a hurry (even though I don't expect it) since I'd be translating Alpha Strike back to hexes.

I'm not looking to end the LP. It's just grown hard to continue when I've lost half my notes (along with my list of Dramatis Personae). I've legit forgotten some of the people I've killed off, which is why the Precentor Martial wound up being both Tor Miraborg and Ian Davion.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I guess a lot of people (at least me) would LOVE to see your writing of the coming developments. With or without any battles/campaigns.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AUs can be awful for the same reasons fan fiction is usually awful, because AUs are basically a particular form of fan fiction. To my mind, they have a better chance of not being awful in part because they're not purporting to add to the canon.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm mostly worried people won't want to see the current AU "end." There's going to be loose ends no matter what, but I lost a lot of my early notes and vote results with my old computer. I could keep the current thread going forever--but the question is: should I? There's going to be a point where I start contradicting myself and everything's going to turn into a mess (just like what happened in the real universe) and we'll start needing bigger and bigger time-skips to see how things turn out. Especially since it'll be half a year before the rest of the Homeworld clans can show up.

Plus, and this may be a small matter to some, but it isn't to me: this is primarily a BattleTech thread and as much as I really want to experiment with Alpha Strike I'd also feel guilty springing an 8-10 turn Alpha Strike scenario on someone expecting a 15-20 turn BattleTech scenario. Especially when I'm still not entirely familiar with the rules. Things could also go pear-shaped in a hurry (even though I don't expect it) since I'd be translating Alpha Strike back to hexes.

I'm not looking to end the LP. It's just grown hard to continue when I've lost half my notes (along with my list of Dramatis Personae). I've legit forgotten some of the people I've killed off, which is why the Precentor Martial wound up being both Tor Miraborg and Ian Davion.

Just make Leperfish go through the thread and write up the current state of things.

And if he balks have the mods threaten to permaban him.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have just been really infatuated lately with the idea of an Inner Sphere without ComStar. Possibly going hand-in-hand with an Inner Sphere where the Star League was never formed to begin with.

Hmm... no ComStar and no Star League changes pretty much everything. The pre-Star League Inner Sphere was pretty much unrecognizable politically, except for the Combine.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TildeATH posted:

Just make Leperfish go through the thread and write up the current state of things.

I was going to say, if there is something we thread dwellers could do to help you out involving combing through posts, i'd totally waste a couple days at work doing that.

(That doesn't help with your behind the scenes notes though)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just give us the biggest cliffhanger ending ever, waiting for what might come and then leaves us hanging until we manage to fill a new thread full of posts the same size as this one.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Would the solution be to hold a one-off Alpha Strike playtest in a seperate thread, then judge the results?

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
I enjoy the thread, but I'd rather see PTN writing stuff he enjoys than drag things out 'for the fans' like some people who get paid actual money to do so, and hence don't quite fit into the strawpoll options. I think maybe a rapid-fire sequence of missions and political updates to capstone the current 'hot' events into another transitionary / apparent stalemate over the coming couple of months whilst the new thread and AU is worked up to speed would be a more than satisfactory conclusion.

There's nothing to prevent revisiting the current AU on occasion to see what really happened to Korean Robert if PTN wants to.

Just promise you won't put a list of six hundred goons into the name banks for the 20th Assault Universe of Clan Emerald Bucks and fastidiously track the casualty rate as they invade a series of uninhabitable worlds with robots slightly over 3 m tall (using the same rules but trying to paper over some of the dumb). Not because of the papering over the dumb part, but because I've still got residual issues with TOEs and numbers from binge-reading Weber. Or maybe go for it if you think you can make it work, you can always re-re-reboot.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

thetruegentleman posted:

Yeah, not a whole lot of good options; might just go head for those 2 height dunes instead, presuming that more units are going to come in from the west and/or north. Especially since it occurs to me that only one or two units might actually be driving forward, depending on if/how many people miss orders.
Don't forget that the map is going to be scrolling. I'd suggest making sure you have a clear path for moving north and not get yourself stuck behind terrain and left behind. The Desert Hawg should be moving five hexes north each turn, so you should probably make sure you go at least that far.

I wouldn't worry too much about missed orders - PTN could have them default to just going at flank speed north so a single missed turn doesn't knock them out of the mission.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nullkigan posted:

Just promise you won't put a list of six hundred goons into the name banks for the 20th Assault Universe of Clan Emerald Bucks and fastidiously track the casualty rate as they invade a series of uninhabitable worlds with robots slightly over 3 m tall (using the same rules but trying to paper over some of the dumb). Not because of the papering over the dumb part, but because I've still got residual issues with TOEs and numbers from binge-reading Weber. Or maybe go for it if you think you can make it work, you can always re-re-reboot.

Haha, no worries there.

No, the other trick to the new AU is: with no ComStar and with HPGs rare and being run typically at state expense, technologies don't spread the way they did in canon. So you'll see much more regional differences in `Mechs and armaments. It also means battlefield salvage and foreign mercenaries are highly prized because being able to surprise the Draconis Combine with Capellan or Free World `Mechs they've never seen before could be hugely advantageous.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Haha, no worries there.

No, the other trick to the new AU is: with no ComStar and with HPGs rare and being run typically at state expense, technologies don't spread the way they did in canon. So you'll see much more regional differences in `Mechs and armaments. It also means battlefield salvage and foreign mercenaries are highly prized because being able to surprise the Draconis Combine with Capellan or Free World `Mechs they've never seen before could be hugely advantageous.

So... rather than equipment being state secrets like it was in the 3060s, it's a manufacturer secret?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you're switching game rules, that would definitely be the perfect time to switch universes. I'd recommend putting a close off point on the current list though when you're in the planning stages for closing this thread out. Basically a "Hey, if you want to sign up for the CURRENT, BATTLETECH RUN THREAD, please sign up in the next 5 days. After that, the list is closed until the new thread". Then you can be sure you run enough missions to get everybody whos already signed up a chance to play, and any extra spots you need you just loop through the old players like you've been doing and nobody feels cheated.

I think most of us don't WANT to see this universe end. We've had a lot of fun here, the stories are enjoyable, we've had some wins and some losses. Fan favorites have carried out crazy odds, and some have died to Space Fu Manchu. It is a place of familiarity and adventure at the same time, and we've all had a great ride. But if it had to come to an end, and that end lead to another PTN adventure? I think the vast majority of us would be just fine with that. We leave our old friends behind and make new ones. Nobody wants to say goodbye to the things they like, but it doesn't mean they'd all be butthurt lunatics about it.

Please don't leave this universe on a permanent cliffhanger though. That would be so painful.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Despite what we've seen of the Amaris-Clantech arms race, isn't this less of an issue than the narrative would make it out to be?

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you're being hit by medium lasers or AC/5s, it's still 5 damage a hit. Barring notoriously bad designs, weight class and whether or not something has clantech seem to be the most significant generic factors in effectiveness. You'd have to combine it with a new BV system, or unexpected assaults appearing on milk runs, or something. You might end up with 'the PPC house', 'the MASC clan', 'the LRM house', and 'the RAC/5 merc unit', but that's sort of already the case. You could split up the clantech across various factions, but wouldn't the CERML and CLRM groups 'win'?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
What should I do, in the dig lord? Just move for a mod and unleash hell on the little machinegun boat?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Please don't end the thread before players get to be terminator-style battle armor wearing WoB super cyborgs at least once.

:agreed:

Or at least a big silly naval battle, because naval battles are cool.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Neopie posted:

What should I do, in the dig lord? Just move for a mod and unleash hell on the little machinegun boat?

It might be best to make use of your height by walking back two or three spaces, shooting the Rotunda with the Autocannon (which can one-shot it, I believe) while leaving you out of machine gun range and unlikely to be hit by the Vedette.

Alternatively, you can to run to 1202, face 1103 and shoot it with your machine guns while shooting the tank with the Autocannon, then melee the Rotunda with the Rock Cutter in case it survives somehow. Basically, trading a decent chance to get one kill and one damaged enemy tank in exchange for some risk.

Ardlen posted:

Don't forget that the map is going to be scrolling. I'd suggest making sure you have a clear path for moving north and not get yourself stuck behind terrain and left behind. The Desert Hawg should be moving five hexes north each turn, so you should probably make sure you go at least that far.

That's a fair point, but I'd only be moving diagonally for a turn, after which I'd be moving straight up again, able to keep going just fine (and with a better view besides).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I actually wouldn't mind going back and summarizing all the updates. Not sure I really have the time, but it would be a fun project.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Nullkigan posted:

Context please?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Please don't leave this universe on a permanent cliffhanger though. That would be so painful.

It's still a very hypothetical thing, I need to make sure I can create something more than superficially interesting first and foremost. So don't worry, if it does happen it'll probably be months from now.

Nullkigan posted:

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you're being hit by medium lasers or AC/5s, it's still 5 damage a hit.

As long as there're no difference between types of `Mech armor, this is true.

That's one of the very things I'm planning on changing right from the start.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 30, 2016

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Shoeless posted:

Context please?

Hey, look, Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft's not an easy read.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

Hey, look, Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft's not an easy read.

I don't understand.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's still a very hypothetical thing, I need to make sure I can create something more than superficially interesting first and foremost. So don't worry, if it does happen it'll probably be months from now.

As long as there're no difference between types of `Mech armor, this is true.

That's one of the very things I'm planning on changing right from the start.

I can't wait to see the faction that gets saddled with HR Armor.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

I can't wait to see the faction that gets saddled with HR Armor.

It's the High Explosive armor you have to worry about.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's the High Explosive armor you have to worry about.

Oh, they finally found a use for all the MG ammo did they? Just tape it to the mech's armor!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shoeless posted:

Oh, they finally found a use for all the MG ammo did they? Just tape it to the mech's armor!

You put it on your fist and explosive punch someone, like Batman.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Explosive reactive armor is pretty cool, but I have a bad feeling BT rules make it hilariously ineffective.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

At least this thread has a nice, neat table of contents that's kept up to date. Makes backtracking and archiving much easier.

Unlike the Aurora thread :gonk:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its fine.

Have the last political vote be

See the consequences of our actions over:
10 years
20 years
50 years
200 years
2000 years

^^^^^
replace it with 'Roast Beef was here'

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Tran posted:

Explosive reactive armor is pretty cool, but I have a bad feeling BT rules make it hilariously ineffective.

BT has it, actually. It just halves the damage from missile and artillery weapons, and reduces the effectiveness or armor-piercing stuff like Tandem Charge SRMs/AP rounds from autocannons. From what I remember the points/tonnage ratio isn't very good though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tran posted:

It was used in the previous scenario.

By the hunchbacks, who didn't actually get a chance to engage the missile-heavy Star at all.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

KnoxZone posted:

Your next project could be a Farmville AU and I would still be interested.

Leperflesh posted:

Inject comstar into a star trek au. Subspace comms is run by the cardassians.

TildeATH posted:

Strawpoll Results posted:

No, and I'd probably stop reading the thread if it happened ... 0 votes

(I did not vote for it.)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Can't wait for the thread climax to reveal this setting was building up to that Battletech/Shadowrun crossover splatbook all along!

For real though, it's been years of a good thing and I think we the audience have just been fortunate to enjoy the series up to now, no matter where you feel like taking it or what you feel like doing afterward there'll be interest in seeing it! Besides, one of the challenges/interesting things about settings with a sense of history about them is that history doesn't really end, unless everyone dies. It's just a matter of choosing wherever you feel is the best stepping-off point.

That'll leave the rest of us free to get started on our alt-universe fan fiction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

PoptartsNinja posted:

I agree, it's time to end it. I like consistency and it'd be a shame if too many contradictions arose in the future.

But before it ends, I want to see at least one city map. I'd hate to have my terrible contributions go to waste.

Also, video game adaption when?

• Locked thread