Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So what was once a burn card are now kill-streak activated abilities?

I'm cool with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked amped weapons and thought the TTK was fine.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I didn't like them because of my tendency to hoard so I'd just destroy the ones I didn't care about to make room for the shiny rare ones, and then never use them :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Niggurath posted:

They just updated which model is connected to the grapple; it's still very much connected to your ability.

Yeah, looks like the grapple ability is tied to the more basic looking model and the blink ability is tied to mr robotjox

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Lemming posted:

I didn't like them because of my tendency to hoard so I'd just destroy the ones I didn't care about to make room for the shiny rare ones, and then never use them :(

or, you could use map hack and titan drop to become death, destroyer of streamers

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Niggurath posted:

They just updated which model is connected to the grapple; it's still very much connected to your ability.

Except the player model that uses the new Amp Wall ability is the same bomb-suit guy as the Holo Pilot. And we see that same model use the Holo Pilot ability* later in the video, so that one hasn't just been swapped. EDIT: Actually the guy that uses A-Wall has Holo Pilot on his HUD so apparently that's just a placeholder icon. So the guy later who uses the Hologram Boost might actually have A-Wall too. That doesn't confirm that the player model is totally customizable, it just means we can't draw any firm conclusions about model=ability yet. The website shows Amp Wall to be the old Cloak character model, and the new game of thrones motherfucker is the new Cloak. But it still shows robo-Crockett as the grapple pilot. Seems like they're still sorting things out. EDIT: The website has a lot of discrepancies with the icons and payer models. Probably miscommunication between the dev team and the web team.

Also, don't forget that there's at least a male and female version of each. My theory/hope is that "robot" is a third gender option. The first multiplayer trailer showed a female pilot model we haven't seen anywhere else using grapple.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, looks like the grapple ability is tied to the more basic looking model and the blink ability is tied to mr robotjox

The model that uses Phase Shift in the beginning of the trailer is human. Hard to see but it looks like the Phase Shift guy on the website. It definitely doesn't have robolegs. EDIT: Apparently the models are definitely switched in the version that all the new videos are coming from. So phase shift IS a roboguy in the most recently playable version we've seen.

*Technically we see them use the triple-hologram Boost, but his HUD still shows Holo-Pilot is his normal ability.

runchild fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 23, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Psion posted:

or, you could use map hack and titan drop to become death, destroyer of streamers

What you did on angel city.... I'll never forgive.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

We all did it at least once. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Knifegrab posted:

don't make me "unhappy leave" Discord, okay

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wazzit posted:

PC focused blog post with PC Specs and additional information:

https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/pc-specs/

They're really focusing on PC, and I like it, all of the extra bells and whistles will be awesome.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
As burn cards, amped weapons only really showed up once or twice a match. As a killstreak reward the top of the leaderboard is going to have it a hell of a lot more

a lot of the changes feel like complaints by the pro community to make the dominant player even more dominant

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I definitely think that amped weapons were far more common in the tech test than they are in the first game. That's probably why people felt that the TTK was lower as well. I think ditching the burn card system was a mistake personally, and it would have benefited from some tweaking and adjustments rather than being scrapped and giving everyone having amped weapons more frequently because the impact it's had on the game isn't for the better, in my opinion. The amped weapon situation is something that can be easily tweaked and adjusted in balance patches however, so it might not be a problem in the full game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blind Duke posted:

As burn cards, amped weapons only really showed up once or twice a match. As a killstreak reward the top of the leaderboard is going to have it a hell of a lot more

a lot of the changes feel like complaints by the pro community to make the dominant player even more dominant

Yeah. I can't disagree that it's bad to have something like that as a kill streak. Reminds me of why I hated Modern Warfare 2. I think the best solution would be to have them on a timer. Seems like something that could get out of control with snipers too.

Either way we don't really know what they are going to be like in the final game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I only played maybe an hour of Titanfall 1 on a friend's xbox, so I don't know what amped weapons are exactly. Are they just souped-up versions of regular guns that you get for doing well?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Geight posted:

I only played maybe an hour of Titanfall 1 on a friend's xbox, so I don't know what amped weapons are exactly. Are they just souped-up versions of regular guns that you get for doing well?
They were really souped-up versions of regular guns, but you had to play a Burn Card to use them. If you died, you losed them on respawn and you could only carry a maximum of 3 burn cards in a match.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Honesty though, even in rounds where I was doing really well (like 20-30 kills in bounty hunt) I rarely used amped weapons more than 3 times per match in the network test. it might have been that I usually didn't just use them the second I got the boost though. I think 3 times is about the average someone would get to use amped in a match.

If anything I died more using amped weapons because I would tend to go in guns blazing.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I understand doing away with Burn Cards since I'm assuming most players always hoarded the better ones (free Titan, map hack) instead of what I believe the devs intended (using them as they came).
I'm not entirely sold on the new Amped Weapons working like a killstreak, but I'm more than willing to wait and see it in action before complaining about it. :v:

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

The Boosts technically ARE on a timer, because they made the Boost/Titan meter increase over time on the second weekend of the tech test.

And remember that there were only 2 Boosts available in the tech tests. There will be 8 in the full game, and most of them look pretty great. Less people will be running around with Amped Weapons than you think.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Short Smart Pistol gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4t3Rdf9zjY

It looks like they've modified the lock-on so that the closer they are to the center of your screen, the faster you lock.

There's a sub-one second lock-on time in the video :getin:

(despite this, the player said he was only able to get three kills with it and didn't seem too impressed)

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
So not only is it a boost, it's a very powerful auto-aim weapon that's expensive to get

instead of being one of the first weapons you get, honestly a little weaker than most other options and replaces your more powerful options

did they just forget why the Smart Pistol was a good thing

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
IIRC, I remember the original impetus that lead to its design was that one of the casual developers was trying to ambush extremely good players, and unless he headshot them with his first bullet they would turn around and murder him. So the point was to make a weapon that if you got position on someone you could get a guaranteed kill.

But that's not how it worked in practice, so I guess the thinking was that bad players were still bad with it, only good players were truly scary with it, so let's embrace that. Would like to read an interview about their thoughts on the matter honestly.

I can see it being kind of an option if you are running a Grenadier or Sniper weapon.

Honestly you don't need a Smart Pistol if you have good matchmaking. Put the bad players with the bad players, let them goof off. It's only needed if you plan to have massive in-game skill differences.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 27, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Smart Pistol wasn't useful for killing pilots, it was for wiping out grunts very quickly so you could farm Titan charges faster

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Can't wait to get called names for using the SP again. Praise be to the smart pistol, nerfed but never forgotten.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

Smart Pistol wasn't useful for killing pilots, it was for wiping out grunts very quickly so you could farm Titan charges faster

it was actually extremely useful for killing pilots, as well

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Antoine Silvere posted:

it was actually extremely useful for killing pilots, as well

Well, yeah, you can obviously do that too, but it was worse than other guns for that. It was by far the fastest for killing grunts

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Real Smart Pistol pros hip-fired it and killed pilots way faster than the lock-on could. :smug:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I had over 160 grunts in one round thanks to the smart pistol and electric bastard ray in TF1. I need a combo as stupid as that in TF2.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

de la peche posted:

I had over 160 grunts in one round thanks to the smart pistol and electric bastard ray in TF1. I need a combo as stupid as that in TF2.

The trick was silenced smart pistol (don't show up on the map during grunt murderfests) and transition to the speedy titan with the grenade launcher, dashing everywhere and wrecking havoc.

I'd pull off 160+ matches, pissing off foe and my own team alike. It was glorious.

:getin:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lemming posted:

Well, yeah, you can obviously do that too, but it was worse than other guns for that. It was by far the fastest for killing grunts

Quoting for posterity.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Smart pistol looks dumb, but it takes all kinds I guess :shrug:

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
A neat/bastard tip for the Smartie is to run it as a secondary pistol in place of your loadout pistol, with that replaced by an R-101C from a dead grunt by using the "pickup weapon" button, or whatever dropped weapon you fancy.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sure didn't expect them to go the FMV route with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnTGqERtbeI

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mordja posted:

Sure didn't expect them to go the FMV route with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnTGqERtbeI

The lamest thing they dropped so far, I guess.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mordja posted:

Just play Mad World in the background for false pathos and you've capture the Halo/Gears crowd.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I liked it :colbert:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
It was alright as a fluff/propaganda/full blown advertisement piece. It's obviously not trying to be "actual gameplay!", but it still shows off plenty of mechanics available in the game and gives you a good idea of what the game is about. Probably aimed more at people who never played the first one.

Those little spider-orb bot things were cool though. I hope we get to fight more non-human type things in the campaign. I know there were some neat lizard things in the first campaign trailer.

I love well designed non-human enemies in games. FIghting the same soliders in different coloured uniforms gets old.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I wonder if the Titanfall television project is still underway with Lionsgate TV.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Alehkhs posted:

I wonder if the Titanfall television project is still underway with Lionsgate TV.

I'd watch it, but it'd need a decent CGI budget.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Between the news of Attrition coming back and the looks of that smart pistol gameplay this game is looking....dare i say...good? :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Titanfall 2 at "TwitchCon" being streamed right now: https://www.twitch.tv/xbox

quote:

Schedule:

Friday, September 30th
5:30PM PT - Titanfall 2 TwitchCon Kick-off with Jay Frechette and Darkness_429
6:00PM PT - Twitch Streamers vs. Fans in Titanfall 2 Amped Hardpoint
7:00PM PT - Interviews w/ Major Nelson