Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I didn't see a mech that looked like a Mad Cat in that video :confused:

Also when did Wargaming: Planetside Hybrid Wars become a thing? I've never heard of it before, last new game I was getting news about was Master of Orion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
drat, the people ITT who have been praising the Bayern weren't kidding. This thing does not give a gently caress. Even only half upgraded I've been kicking all manner of rear end. Let's see how long it will take for WG to nerf it.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I know it's just infuriating to watch the shells go OVER at point blank range even while aiming as low at the water as possible.

Psst, try to not use your scope if you're fighting withing 2km. You can depress your gun angles lower that way :)

Nordick posted:

drat, the people ITT who have been praising the Bayern weren't kidding. This thing does not give a gently caress. Even only half upgraded I've been kicking all manner of rear end. Let's see how long it will take for WG to nerf it.

I hated it because I didn't like how slow and unsubtle it was. I am having a much better time in my ninja-Gneisenau! Its hull profile is much closer to the water.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty much the fundamental legal rule in making a mech game is "don't make your mechs look like Mad Cats."

NTRabbit posted:

I didn't see a mech that looked like a Mad Cat in that video :confused:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I was referring to the LRM racks on top of the mech they showed.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
The best way to get cruisers back into the meta is to get destroyers back into the torpedo boat role. Right now you never take cruisers since Russian and US DDs are basically fill the cruiser role of fast gunboat better than any cruiser out there. Nerf stealth shooting, buff torpedos, increase cruiser rate of fire and give all cruisers radar and blam, cruisers are back in action as the fire starting destroyer hunters they're supposed to be.
BBs > cruiser > DD > BB
As it is now BB > cruiser < DD

Also that hybrid wars game looks awesome

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 30, 2016

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was referring to the LRM racks on top of the mech they showed.

It takes a lot more than the racks to make a Timber Wolf :goonsay: you need a more exposed cockpit and encased OmniMech pods for lower arms

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nordick posted:

Turn nose in to the enemy, and hum The Imperial March until your Victory-class Star Destroyer has killed everything.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Honestly, the solution to CVs, to me, seems to just be to increase the number of replacement planes and squadrons.

That way, effective cruiser and BB AAA is still effective. You can really tear apart some strikes and end up only facing 2 torpedoes on that strike, but the carrier player can feel freer to act.

For example, the carrier player can opt to not split resources and send two squadrons of torp bombers against a hardened AA target for the increased the chance of scoring a hit without also totally removing half of his ability to deal damage for the rest of the match.

I think this idea is on the right lines but if you wanted a simple solution like this, and to try and keep historical accuracy (ie no CVs carrying 150+ planes), then the better solution would be to keep all plane numbers and squadron sizes the same but make the planes literally twice as tough. When you think about it, the two things that have apparently never changed in this game are loving air dropped torpedo damage (Langley same as Midway wtf), and the health of planes.

But IMO CVs/AA have to be looked at from the ground up. If I could make a sweeping change right now, I would leave CA AA as it is but literally halve the AA of virtually all BBs from T8+ (and the Gneisenau).

And all of this is glossing over the horrid CV interface which runs counter to every RTS habit any gamer has picked up, ever, and is also literally hard-capping APM and also has random other bugs.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Nordick posted:

The Bayern is good but I picked up the Warspite during the EU sale and I've been really surprised at how good it is. I actually think it has the best guns tier-for-tier of any BB except Yamato. I had kept my Bayern after unlucking Gneisenau but now I sold it and am going to finally save up and buy a Hindenberg and drop the captain in there instead.

If the Warspite turrets turned as fast as a Fuso or New Mex (actually basically anything), I honestly think it would be the best BB in the game relatively speaking. As it is, the slow turrets are a colossal weakness. My last game I got sunk by a Molotov at 6km that I would unquestionably have sunk first if my turrets could turn faster.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I don't understand all that huffing.

Cruisers are perfectly viable, if anything they may get punished a bit too much by the new economy but that is all.

As for anti air, even a full AA specced Iowa can get trashed by a decent Hakuryu driver. Carrier are still bar far the best damage dealers and the ship that have the most impact on a team chance of winning.
If anything the things that need balancing are the IJN relative to USN carriers and the AA effectiveness relative to tiers. It is a bit unfair that a ship with good AA can completely melt aircrafts two tier under yet do nothing against aircraft two tiers above in the next game.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

kaesarsosei posted:

I think this idea is on the right lines but if you wanted a simple solution like this, and to try and keep historical accuracy (ie no CVs carrying 150+ planes), then the better solution would be to keep all plane numbers and squadron sizes the same but make the planes literally twice as tough. When you think about it, the two things that have apparently never changed in this game are loving air dropped torpedo damage (Langley same as Midway wtf), and the health of planes.

But IMO CVs/AA have to be looked at from the ground up. If I could make a sweeping change right now, I would leave CA AA as it is but literally halve the AA of virtually all BBs from T8+ (and the Gneisenau).

And all of this is glossing over the horrid CV interface which runs counter to every RTS habit any gamer has picked up, ever, and is also literally hard-capping APM and also has random other bugs.

On the subject of the UI, has wargaming somehow put the game together in such a way that the camera has to lazily swoop everywhere rather than snapping immediately to a new bit of the map you've clicked on? Applies to both moving the overhead CV view via minimap clicking and spectator mode. Would it be possible to mod in a snap-to?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

kaesarsosei posted:

The Bayern is good but I picked up the Warspite during the EU sale and I've been really surprised at how good it is. I actually think it has the best guns tier-for-tier of any BB except Yamato. I had kept my Bayern after unlucking Gneisenau but now I sold it and am going to finally save up and buy a Hindenberg and drop the captain in there instead.

If the Warspite turrets turned as fast as a Fuso or New Mex (actually basically anything), I honestly think it would be the best BB in the game relatively speaking. As it is, the slow turrets are a colossal weakness. My last game I got sunk by a Molotov at 6km that I would unquestionably have sunk first if my turrets could turn faster.

Aside from the guns, the thing that surprised me the most about the Warspite is the insanely good turning circle. If you keep your guns on a certain bearing you can pretty much turn the ship to the correct angle.

As for the BB thing, I've noticed it a lot more after being away from the game a couple of months. I used to see scattered messes but rarely this whole, everyone is bunched up in a distant corner thing. I try to get in and cover smaller ships while they cap but often get slammed by everything for doing so and its pretty frustrating.

Not saying this is a fix, but what do you think would happen if they awarded points based on proximity to capture points? You'd still need to be in the capping area to take it but you would get a bonus for being within a certain distance.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 30, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Krogort posted:

I don't understand all that huffing.

Cruisers are perfectly viable, if anything they may get punished a bit too much by the new economy but that is all.

As for anti air, even a full AA specced Iowa can get trashed by a decent Hakuryu driver. Carrier are still bar far the best damage dealers and the ship that have the most impact on a team chance of winning.
If anything the things that need balancing are the IJN relative to USN carriers and the AA effectiveness relative to tiers. It is a bit unfair that a ship with good AA can completely melt aircrafts two tier under yet do nothing against aircraft two tiers above in the next game.

I don't know, i hardly ever see more than 3 CAs a game these days, and when I do the match is filled with people complaining that they got LOLDELETED from 20KM away by BBs.

And they're right. Most of them have armor made of fairy farts, and a single lucky salvo from a BB can ruin their day before the match even starts. Getting detected early in a CA is a death sentence right now, far more so than a DD, which at least has maneuverability, smoke, and no citadel to pen. I honestly can't think of the last time I saw a CA in game and thought "Oh, man...I need to watch out for that boat!" instead of "Welp, let's see how long before they explode".

This leads to the CAs hovering at the far edge and then trying to hide behind the BBs and avoid notice...which is a pretty boring playstyle.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

CitizenKain posted:

WG isn't sure what to do with RN cruisers. Initial super-test ships were basically turbo Atlantas, they could hide in smoke, had radar and just vomited 6" shells while in smoke. So they were going to test giving them high pen AP and no HE, so they'd sandpaper down bigger ships.

Looking at a think on Armored Patrol, British ships will have detonaters on the AP shells that arm after 3.8m of penetration, meaning they will explode in the hull of a destroyer and won't overpen. So DDs are going to be completely hosed if caught by a RN cruiser.

So uh, they will increase the shell velocity or lower the arc right? How can you have higher pen with the same weight shell if you don't do one of those things?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maybe the meta will shift to cruisers once brit cruisers release and everyone is grinding them

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

NTRabbit posted:

Turn nose in to the enemy, and hum The Imperial March until your Victory-class Star Destroyer has killed everything.

I like to listen to Life After Death Star, a Star Wars/Notorious B.I.G. mashup when playing. I swear my win rate goes up.

All this cruiser talk makes me want to break out my Molotov.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Thronde posted:

Maybe the meta will shift to cruisers once brit cruisers release and everyone is grinding them

:wargaming: can make it happen. They've done it before in tonks to push new lines. Still, cruisers aren't as appealing as auto-loading speedwagons or battleships

This was a dumb post I don't know where I'm going with this

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

World of Warships : Auto-Loading Speedwagons - I Don't Want Hydroaccoustic Sweep, I Just Wanna Keep On Slugging You

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

So uh, they will increase the shell velocity or lower the arc right? How can you have higher pen with the same weight shell if you don't do one of those things?

Magic. People have looked at stats on ships and there is a extra modifier on shells that WGing can tweak to make them do what they want.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I want fast, high piercing, low damage shells. Like what english tanks have in war thunder.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I'm struggling to like and enjoy the North Carolina right now. Does it get better with the upgraded hull outside of the health buff? I've done a little searching and reddit appears convinced that there might be a stealth dispersion buff with the upgraded hull.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Thronde posted:

I had thought of that as well. Though it seems like that each ship nation / class has been subject to power creep. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Brit cruisers feel completely OP compared to their better-enameled counterparts.

Also, I played my first Zao game in awhile and it was a lot of fun. Between the concentric cap circle map and the fixed repair cost people were brawling in a Tier 10 battle.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I want fast, high piercing, low damage shells. Like what english tanks have in war thunder.

I want the British to have fast and high piercing armor piercing shells that barely ever penetrate because the shells shatter on impact; however, only for ships that saw service prior to 1918.

I also want British ships that often suffer catastrophic magazine explosions, completely destroying the ships not just citadeling them, on the first or second penetrating hit.

Also, the British First World War era ships should have double the re-load time of their German counterparts.

Wait... there I go with insisting on realism again.

Edit.

When exactly are the "soon" British cruisers going to appear?

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 30, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It's up in the air at this point. Got a Perth on my team today, but they're obviously still under NDAs so, the player wasn't saying anything - and as it was on the other side of the field couldn't watch it either.

Quite a few people are thinking the new IJN destroyer line will release first now. Of course, they also thought it might release before this new season started, so eh.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

It's up in the air at this point. Got a Perth on my team today, but they're obviously still under NDAs so, the player wasn't saying anything - and as it was on the other side of the field couldn't watch it either.

Quite a few people are thinking the new IJN destroyer line will release first now. Of course, they also thought it might release before this new season started, so eh.

Unfortunately, they never lift our NDAs.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
Anyone have pro tips for doing well in the Nagato? Maybe it's just me, but her dispersion feels really super bad, even with the aiming module. When I do manage to hit something, it's usually an over-pen or a shattered shell. I feel like I must be doing something wrong, though my buddy has been having the same experience.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
If you are on A hull the Nagato has different AP ammo which is garbage. Other than that though I don't really know, the dispersion wasn't worse than the typical bb rng and with those 410mm you can absolutely wreck things. Though you have to be careful where to hit with those as overpens are easier to achieve with higher caliber guns.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So buffing torpedoes. How have they been nerfed?

I'm a bit skeptical about "buffing" torpedoes because over the last two days I've been in a couple Tier X matches with a tier 8. This has been the first time I have to face tier IX and X destroyers and the accompanying (literally) kilometers long walls of torpedoes being spammed over and over from entirely invisible destroyers.

I haven't yet been killed outright by this (yet), but spending 50% of the match trying to dodge invisible torpedo walls did not strike me as particularly fun.

I would probably be more cool with this if the maps were bigger; however, this doesn't really work without screwing with map/fun balance for most people. They could also add real(ish) water, visibility, and sea state physics.

This would make destroyers, in some cases, have to get much closer to torpedo spam. And conversely it would make some secondary guns unusable on battleships and cruisers, making getting closer easier for destroyers.

It would also help cruisers because engagements ranges would narrow giving cruisers a chance to put their DPS on battleships without having to hide/weather the death ride getting close enough to do damage.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 30, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Vorkosigan posted:

Unfortunately, they never lift our NDAs.

Never? I'm pretty sure I've seen some youtube reviews that violate the NDA then, because any review of the ship, even after it had made it to the tech tree, would be a violation.

Usually, parts of NDAs are lifted after a certain time--like game launch. So as a company, you might not allow people to talk about the testing and development process, you would allow them to talk about gameplay as soon as everyone had access to that gameplay.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I had a perth in my game yesterday that popped smoke, so that seems interesting.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Never? I'm pretty sure I've seen some youtube reviews that violate the NDA then, because any review of the ship, even after it had made it to the tech tree, would be a violation.

Usually, parts of NDAs are lifted after a certain time--like game launch. So as a company, you might not allow people to talk about the testing and development process, you would allow them to talk about gameplay as soon as everyone had access to that gameplay.

That's the Community Contributor NDA which gets lifted, not the Supertester one.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Finally got the Yamato! :woop: That sure was exhausting.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

So buffing torpedoes. How have they been nerfed?

No, people are saying IJN torpedoes have been nerfed, not all torpedoes. And just look at the stats and it's blatantly obvious how.

Here's the stock torpedo the Shimakaze starts with, the Type 93:
Range: 20 km (16 with Torpedo Acceleration)
Speed: 62 kts (67 with TA)
Detection: 2.5 km

The range looks scary, but you will almost never find a decent Shimakaze player using these anymore, because that detection range is hilariously stupid. The speed also isn't great for a T10 torpedo.

Here's their second option, the Type 93 mod. 3:
Range: 12 km (9.6 with Torpedo Acceleration)
Speed: 67 kts (72 with TA)
Detection: 1.9 km

This is the one most Shimakaze players are using, some with and some without TA. Decent speed and range, but the detection is still really high, as we'll see in a moment. The problem with this one, and the next IJN option even moreso, is that you are incapable of staying out of RADAR range of cruisers with them.

Their final option, the F3:
Range: 8 km (6.4 with Torpedo Acceleration)
Speed: 76 kts (81 with TA)
Detection: 1.9 km

Same detection, though it matters far less since they're so fast. Problem being 8 km range is utter poo poo at T10 for a torpedo, and is incredibly risky to use. I don't think you'll find a single sane captain using this torpedo combined with TA, so the second numbers are simply for the sake of being complete.

Now, let's compare those three options to the Gearing's singular one, the Mark 17:
Range: 16.5 km (13.2 with Torpedo Acceleration)
Speed: 66 kts (71 with TA)
Detection: 1.4 km

So longer range than anything other than the poo poo Type 93, stealthier than anything the IJN gets, and good speed. Oh, and even with TA it's still longer ranged than either of the IJN's other two options under any circumstances, while also being significantly faster. Even with TA they are capable of torping while staying out of RADAR range.

So to summarize, the nation marketed as having the destroyer line for those who want to focus on torpedoes only has access to ones that are slower, easier to spot, and shorter ranged than the jack of all trades nation. THIS MAY BE A loving PROBLEM. Oh, and other than being moderately faster (though still ahistorically slow), the Shimakaze is significantly inferior to the Gearing in guns too - since, you know, that's what the Gearing is supposed to be decent at. Of course both get absolutely destroyed by the Khabarovsk, which doesn't give a poo poo about its torpedoes, but that's a different matter.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ZombieLenin posted:

If the alpha one (which got lifted a while back) is an indication, you can't talk about how they were during the testing period even after.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Vorkosigan posted:

That's the Community Contributor NDA which gets lifted, not the Supertester one.

Still. So if a year goes by and we all start talking about whether rebalancing British ships was a good idea, this would mean super testers couldn't talk about it since the NDA was still in place.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Still. So if a year goes by and we all start talking about whether rebalancing British ships was a good idea, this would mean super testers couldn't talk about it since the NDA was still in place.

Exactly.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

kaesarsosei posted:

Oh I do love the Warspite. The thing is, the Bayern is very similar to it. Same caliber guns with the same turret layout, and it also has a very tight turning circle. Not as tight as Warspite's, but 630 meters is still plenty good for a BB. And then on top of the similarities the Bayern has better secondaries, AA and armoring. It's a drat monster.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Minimum detection range working through islands has got to be the dumbest destroyer hating mechanic in the game. What possible justification is there even for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Kim Jong ill posted:

Minimum detection range working through islands has got to be the dumbest destroyer hating mechanic in the game. What possible justification is there even for this?

I'd assume at 2km you can hear the enemy ship standing on the deck.