Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Kassad posted:

They've been doing air strikes since the Charlie Hebdo attacks in 2015. It's just that the aircraft carrier has to be pulled back every few months for maintenance. Guess it just arrived back in the region.

For the record, he's the one who's right in this particular instance. Sorry Toplowtech :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyandaber Z
Apr 8, 2009
Even before sending the Charles-De-Gaulle, France has been participating in the air strikes with a dozen planes or so, operating from neighbouring countries. After the USA, we're providing the biggest amount of planes to the coalition. Which doesn't mean much, since USA's participation dwarfs every other countries combined.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/YanniKouts/status/781776497447170048

Mamma mia, that's-a spicy-a meat-a-ball, etc. etc.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Did you read the article?

quote:

France has begun air operations over Iraq from the aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, reports say.

A number of Rafale fighter planes took off from the carrier early on Friday, news agency AFP said.

The Charles de Gaulle, France's only aircraft carrier, was sent to the region earlier in September.

This is its third mission with the US-led coalition since France stepped up military operations after the January 2015 Paris attacks.

As bonus content, have a picture of a photo op they made to kill the time while sailing to destination. All aircraft on deck, except the one copter that took the picture.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's true that most of the time they don't communicate about the air strikes. It's probably because of the coming attack on Mosul.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
France, stop trying to make French Syria happen, it's not going to happen.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Guavanaut posted:

France, stop trying to make French Syria happen, it's not going to happen.

Didn't know Syria was in Iraq.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Lecture about trumpism/europe/brexit:

EDIT, doesn't seem to be working anymore, youtube link available now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkm2Vfj42FY

Thank you for this video, very interesting stuff.

As someone who grew up detesting American Conservatism, I am so very jealous of Europeans. But while I know where they are coming from with regards to likening Le Pen to Trump, this comparison always kinds of offends me. I mean, for one thing, Le Pen has been in the game way longer so why is this "movement" named after Trump? I saw this same kind of thing when non-Australian people first heard about Pauline Hanson on another forum. "Oh she's an Australian Trump." No, Trump is an American Hanson/American Le Pen. Anyway, another thing that bugs me is Trump is a buffoon and has basically gotten by on people appreciating his buffoonery. Whatever else one can say about Madam Le Pen, she knows how to present herself.

I do enjoy this more sympathetic take on the supporters, though. It's not just racism or hate, it's about the economics. I myself have sometimes fallen into the trap of seeing all of Trump's supporters as horrible monsters but they're really not.. It's a tragic story of some people who have been kicked around so much that they honestly think this rear end in a top hat will either make their lives better or at least "he can't make it any worse."

I still lament our Right is so infinitely more terrible than the one in Europe.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Thank you for this video, very interesting stuff.

As someone who grew up detesting American Conservatism, I am so very jealous of Europeans. But while I know where they are coming from with regards to likening Le Pen to Trump, this comparison always kinds of offends me. I mean, for one thing, Le Pen has been in the game way longer so why is this "movement" named after Trump?
Because America is the center of the world and everything else must be derivative even the guy who was doing the same poo poo in the 70s, right? :downs: Also yeah, overall it's the "economy, stupid!".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cat Mattress posted:

Did you read the article?

As bonus content, have a picture of a photo op they made to kill the time while sailing to destination. All aircraft on deck, except the one copter that took the picture.

How cute, a babby carrier with like 15 planes.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

NikkolasKing posted:

As someone who grew up detesting American Conservatism, I am so very jealous of Europeans. But while I know where they are coming from with regards to likening Le Pen to Trump, this comparison always kinds of offends me. I mean, for one thing, Le Pen has been in the game way longer so why is this "movement" named after Trump?
Trump is the first such figure with a realistic shot of becoming the leader of a developed/Western nation - Le Pen and her ilk have so far been fringe players with no realistic chance of leading anything, whereas Trump is polling within a few percentage points of Clinton.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

blowfish posted:

How cute, a babby carrier with like 15 planes.

Looks like 22 Rafales and two E-2s. Where do you get 15 from?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

LemonDrizzle posted:

Trump is the first such figure with a realistic shot of becoming the leader of a developed/Western nation - Le Pen and her ilk have so far been fringe players with no realistic chance of leading anything, whereas Trump is polling within a few percentage points of Clinton.
It's mostly because the two rounds electoral system doesn't favor the far right. And Sarkozy/Le Pen would be a lot closer result than Juppé / Le Pen. I personally would never vote Sarkozy. Blank votes were 6% of the votes in 2012 (Sarkozy/Hollande).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Kopijeger posted:

I don't know exactly how Charles de Gaulle works but typically carriers also contain aircraft below deck as well.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

YF-23 posted:

I don't know exactly how Charles de Gaulle works but typically carriers also contain aircraft below deck as well.
Its official limit is 40 aircrafts: 35 Rafales + 2 Hawkeyes + 3 helicopter

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kopijeger posted:

24 Raffies, 2 Hawkeyes, one Tiger, and three Alouettes III (one of which is taking the picture). Total 30 aircraft.

YF-23 posted:

Yes, though for this picture they've all been taken to the deck.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's pretty conceivable that France doesn't get enough sortie targets to justify more than that from the West of Syria.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

24 or 35 fighters is a considerable military force, conflicts today aren't like WW2's where you had huge masses of planes thrown at each other.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

NikkolasKing posted:

Anyway, another thing that bugs me is Trump is a buffoon and has basically gotten by on people appreciating his buffoonery. Whatever else one can say about Madam Le Pen, she knows how to present herself.

Her father was closer to the buffoon image... if you were the kind of person to find jokes about gas chambers funny. That's the image his daughter has been trying to so hard to overcome. It's also why you only ever see the same handful of people from her inner circle talking to the media. The rest of the party can't be trusted to keep the racism plausibly deniable.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

YF-23 posted:

24 or 35 fighters is a considerable military force, conflicts today aren't like WW2's where you had huge masses of planes thrown at each other.

Plus it's not like they can't just fly some more out there if they need them. The carrier will be within range of NATO land bases.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

YF-23 posted:

It's still kinda cute, compared to the ten US supercarriers, which can carry something like 100 aircraft each.

The United States military is a loving death machine that could put minor Hindu deities to shame.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

Ehm, FrP and TrueFinns are both in ruling coalitions.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kassad posted:

Her father was closer to the buffoon image... if you were the kind of person to find jokes about gas chambers funny. That's the image his daughter has been trying to so hard to overcome. It's also why you only ever see the same handful of people from her inner circle talking to the media. The rest of the party can't be trusted to keep the racism plausibly deniable.

I dunno, there's stuff like this. Not to mention the story I heard about maybe a month or so ago where there was some friction in the group over LGBT rights.

As a nationalist group, and as a pragmatic political entity, FN has to realize France has more than just white straight people in it. I think Le Pen is savvy enough to see that.

It's just another contrast with our sorry state of American Right-Wingers. Trump's entire appeal is pretty much to white people and given his treatment of women, only white men.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Cardiac posted:

Ehm, FrP and TrueFinns are both in ruling coalitions.
There's a big difference between being a minor partner in a coalition and being the head of government.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
True Finnism

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

It's still kinda cute, compared to the ten US supercarriers, which can carry something like 100 aircraft each.

The United States military is a loving death machine that could put minor Hindu deities to shame.

US carriers are true supercarriers. De Gaulle etc. are closer to what carriers historically have been like.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

There's a big difference between being a minor partner in a coalition and being the head of government.

Head of the government as the prime minister I assume you mean here?
Both parties are parts of the ruling coalition and have ministers in charge of various departments.
They are not head of the actual ruling coalition, true, but the ruling coalition wouldn't exist without them.
There is a difference between this and DF for example.

But I would agree that Le Pen is another story, since from what I understand the president of France is a more powerful position than you get in other countries.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

As a nationalist group, and as a pragmatic political entity, FN has to realize France has more than just white straight people in it. I think Le Pen is savvy enough to see that.
Lol, this is Europe man, they have tons of gay people at highly visible posts in their party (unlike most of the other French parties, that's pretty pretty sad) and told the anti-gay marriage people from "La manif pour tous" that no one wanted to cancel the gay marriage law. My favorite gay far in the right moment is probably when the left-wing progressive gay centric magazine Tetu (no longer publishing) elected a mister Gay France in 2015 and them being shocked as hell when he publicly took his FN party card and started praising Marine Lepen. The fn is a party full of homophobes and (sometime closeted) gay men but the leadership realize they don't live in America.

edit: gently caress now i wish Delanoe was candidate.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 30, 2016

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

edit: gently caress now i wish Delanoe was candidate.

Holy poo poo yes! Someone make it happen!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cardiac posted:

But I would agree that Le Pen is another story, since from what I understand the president of France is a more powerful position than you get in other countries.

France has a semi-presidential system, that means there are two powerful positions: head of state (the President) and head of government (the prime minister).

In many European countries the head of state is purely decorative, with very little actual power (often because they are monarchs). But if you compare with the USA, where the President is both the head of state and of government, essentially being president and prime minister all rolled into one...

Traditionally, the President is supposed to oversee directly foreign policy and defense policy, and otherwise to define the general line for the rest but not be involved in the day-to-day management of the country. Since the reform to reduce presidential mandate from 7 years to 5 years, that is changing as they meddle increasingly more in domestic affairs in the hope of getting reelected. In hindsight the quinquennat was probably a bad idea. It seemed a good thing at the time because it meant the prez would leave quicker, but mostly it means they spend more of their time in office being awful.

Toplowtech posted:

Lol, this is Europe man, they have tons of gay people at highly visible posts in their party (unlike most of the other French parties, that's pretty pretty sad) and told the anti-gay marriage people from "La manif pour tous" that no one wanted to cancel the gay marriage law. My favorite gay far in the right moment is probably when the left-wing progressive gay centric magazine Tetu (no longer publishing) elected a mister Gay France in 2015 and them being shocked as hell when he publicly took his FN party card and started praising Marine Lepen. The fn is a party full of homophobes and (sometime closeted) gay men but the leadership realize they don't live in America.

The key to the FN's success is that they welcome all the bigots, of all races, sexual orientation, and creed. Are you an Arab who hate Jews? The FN is for you. Are you a Jew who hates Arabs? Come into the FN's warm embrace. Are you a gay who hates both Jews and Arabs? Brother, you've found your family. It doesn't matter who you hate, as long as you hate them.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Traditionally, the President is supposed to oversee directly foreign policy and defense policy, and otherwise to define the general line for the rest but not be involved in the day-to-day management of the country. Since the reform to reduce presidential mandate from 7 years to 5 years, that is changing as they meddle increasingly more in domestic affairs in the hope of getting reelected. In hindsight the quinquennat was probably a bad idea. It seemed a good thing at the time because it meant the prez would leave quicker, but mostly it means they spend more of their time in office being awful.
The real big problem is that people in France are too used to let the parliamentary elections go the way the presidential election went, electing a court for the president-King. I don't care if you elect Sarkozy president IF you give him a PS prime minister for a few years to keep him honest until he enviably dissolve the assembly. Cohabitation is surprisingly decent for most people, except the politicians involved.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 30, 2016

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno, there's stuff like this.

I'll be blunt: I think these people are being fooled by the party's propaganda. There are also stories about North African Muslims joining the actual party (as opposed to being supporters, just to be clear) and leaving in short order because they couldn't stand the open racism/xenophobia of other (white) party members. It still is a deeply racist organization. I don't find I can find articles about it in English, sadly.

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh, she certainly is, that's why I talked about her and her inner circle. The majority of the party, who have been members since before she took over from her father? Nah, they're cool with the Holocaust jokes.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Kassad posted:

I'll be blunt: I think these people are being fooled by the party's propaganda. There are also stories about North African Muslims joining the actual party (as opposed to being supporters, just to be clear) and leaving in short order because they couldn't stand the open racism/xenophobia of other (white) party members. It still is a deeply racist organization. I don't find I can find articles about it in English, sadly.

Have you noticed everything you oppose is openly (or secretly) racist and xenophobic and white power? And hitler?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kassad posted:

Marine le Pen is the French Ivanka Trump.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Ligur posted:

Have you noticed everything you oppose is openly (or secretly) racist and xenophobic and white power? And hitler?

Ligur I know you're trying to be ironic but for your information it's cool&good to oppose racists and xenophobes and white power. And also dead Hitler. Especially when the political lineage of the dudes and dudettes you oppose gets its roots down from the Vichy Regime.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Informal poll:

Anyone interested in creating a French Politics thread?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Ligur I know you're trying to be ironic but for your information it's cool&good to oppose racists and xenophobes and white power. And also dead Hitler. Especially when the political lineage of the dudes and dudettes you oppose gets its roots down from the Vichy Regime.
You mean the regime on the same side as the anti-Communist forces of the Continuation War?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You mean the regime on the same side as the anti-Communist forces of the Continuation War?

W---what? Yes? I don't know. I'm missing the joke.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Finland was on the same side with Hitler in WW2, is the "joke". Great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Oh ok I didn't know if he was agreeing with me or trolling or what. It sucks being dumb, guys. It sucks.