Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Smackdown Live and Talking Smack split the vote, Raw runs away with the prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Seriously though that Cena interview is probably the best he's had in years. I don't know what it is, somehow everyone just seems to be much better on Smackdown like they have room to breathe.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Seriously though that Cena interview is probably the best he's had in years. I don't know what it is, somehow everyone just seems to be much better on Smackdown like they have room to breathe.

What you're saying is that wrestlers are more comfortable when not reciting verbatim the words that an insane old man screamed at them 2 minutes earlier?

This is madness.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I pretty much consider Smackdown to be a 2.5 hour show now that Talking Smack is paired with it. It actually advances the plot of the main show.

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

To be fair to whomever transcribed that (unless Kennedy wrote that himself) "New Finland" is phonetically correct
Every Newfie I've ever met pronounces the "found".

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

sticklefifer posted:

I pretty much consider Smackdown to be a 2.5 hour show now that Talking Smack is paired with it. It actually advances the plot of the main show.

But... but.... "OMG, why are they not showing this thing on show X instead of on show Y! This company is so stupid!"

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

dromal phrenia posted:

He shits his pants, and rather than being embarrassed or denying it (and demanding his subordinates do the same), he celebrates it, and uses it to harass his longtime friend. How can you dislike this story?

I eventually realized what you meant by this, but I was absolutely tickled by the idea of Vince making GBS threads his pants during a promo, returning to the backstage area and demanding that Patterson and Brisco also poo poo their pants in solidarity.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I haven't seen SD since Backlash but is Miz still Intercontinental Champion?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I sorta want to ask my parents for a replica IC Belt for my birthday coming up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yes

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a.lo posted:

Yes and you should. You are welcome.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

a.lo posted:

ask for this

http://shop.wwe.com/the-miz-backlash-2016-15-x-17-framed-plaque-w%2F-ring-canvas/011-413-189-0.html

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Vince is a 70-year-old teenager who uses his TV show to tell his latest fart jokes to millions of people.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

heck, why not both?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Vince is, by all accounts, heavily involved in both Raw and SD, guys. I think it's time to look for alternative explanations for the discrepancy in quality than "Vince is an insane old man who ruins everything." Like maybe the writers have more influence over the shows than we thought.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Spermgod posted:

Vince is, by all accounts, heavily involved in both Raw and SD, guys. I think it's time to look for alternative explanations for the discrepancy in quality than "Vince is an insane old man who ruins everything." Like maybe the writers have more influence over the shows than we thought.

Nobody knows anything, until 10 years later we get the scoop on who REALLY ran things. So until then everyone is just going to latch onto The Big Names.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Spermgod posted:

I thought the explanation was that the head writer for NXT wrote Smackdown now.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Big pig

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Hace posted:

Nobody knows anything, until 10 years later we get the scoop on who REALLY ran things.

2026:

IT'S ME, AUSTIN. IT WAS ME ALL ALONG

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Spermgod posted:

all hail ryan ward

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

In like 20 hours the TNA thread is probably getting merged here :rip:

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Vaguido posted:

Splitting the tag division was a mistake. There's only three good teams on Raw, and at this point it's hard to argue Gallows and Anderson are a good team anymore because they keep losing. So all you have are New Day and Enzo and Cass. Smackdown has Alpha, Usos (who are good now), Slater and Rhyno, Breezango, Hype Bros, etc. And some of those names aren't nearly on the level of New Day or Enzo+Cass, but they're certainly above Shining Stars, Golden Truth and whatever other teams are on Raw.

If you count Superstars teams, theres also Titus/Jinder and Bo/Axel for heel teams, which are more alliances than outright teams. Basically the lack of heel teams on RAW is why they didn't let JeriKO go after KO won the belt. I'm somewhat okay with that outcome since Jericho is pretty much KO's manager.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Vince is a 70-year-old teenager who uses his TV show to tell his latest fart jokes to millions of people.

God bless America.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Raw's handling of their tag division and women's division is so god drat hilarious.

I remember when the draft was over everyone was certain that Smackdown was going to be dead in the water on BOTH of those fronts. People were speculating that the tag division was designed to make American Alpha look like unbeatable gods and they'd just be running squash matches week after week because surely nothing else made sense with who they had to play with. People were questioning who the hell Becky was even going to feud with because the rest of the girls with her besides Nattie were the useless dregs or those who weren't ready for the big stage. In 6 weeks they revived the Usos, made Slyno from less than nothing, made viable midcarders out of Hype Bros, Breezango and Ascension when for months before that they couldn't even get on TV, and gave Eva, Naomi, and Carmella distinct and interesting characters and let Alexa get more over out of the gate than almost any NXT callup in history outside of Owens and Balor. The built two complete divisions from what everyone on this very forum considered to be trash.

Raw's Tag Division had the hottest tag team since the TLC Era if not the freaking Road Warriors in the New Day. They had The Club, two of the biggest tag team workhorses and smark favorites in the industry who had just spent months getting heat and momentum by working with AJ Styles. They had Enzo and Cass, an absolutely red hot fan favorite. Even if you ignore all their other resources, that's three times as many over teams as Smackdown started with. What were they doing while Smackdown built their tag division from nothing? Sucking all the life out of New Day's act, burying Anderson and Gallows to the point nobody can take them seriously anymore, and having the Realest Guys give birth to an invisible baby before jobbing to the Main Eventers. Did they build one other team, or even make one of the teams they started with more over than when they began? Hell no! And now people are saying "Well, geez, this is all they've got!" AS IF ITS NOT THEIR FAULT THAT'S ALL THEY'VE GOT.

And Raw's women? What was Raw doing while Smackdown turned four nothings into three worthwhiles and one great, and capped it off by bringing back Nikki Bella to elbow faces off? Coasting on Sasha and Charlotte without even a vague attempt to make anyone else matter. loving up something that vaguely resembles a face turn breakup angle for Dana at every turn. Having Nia endlessly squash randoms with no purpose or end in sight. And finally putting Bayley into that poo poo sundae only for her to wind up as just another scoop of vanilla instead of the cherry on top she could have been. And the amazing thing is that the Women may be one of the best parts of the show! Boy is that sitting on a bubble!

Remember that first Raw after the draft, what a great show it was? We got completely fooled. The incompetence that its taken for them to leave their Tag and Women in this state by comparison to what Smackdown's creative has accomplished is staggering.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'll give you all of that except that they've dropped the ball with Breezango. They've been on all of one show this month. :(

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
They also did that with 2 hour shows, no overruns, and Otunga commentating. I think I see how Smackdown is fitting all this in. Daniel Bryan isn't in like 10 storylines at once like Steph/Mick and Shane is like baaarely in one storyline with Brock. Mick shows up more on an episode of Raw than Lucy shows up on a loving episode of I Love Lucy. Mick and Steph feel like they're supposed to be the stars of the show and every bit of drama revolves around them in some way. Bryan and Shane just feel like normal characters among other characters.

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 30, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Were the Club really Smark favourites? I might just be underestimating their popularity, but from what I remember about their NJPW run (at least the last year or so of it, which was when I started watching) not many people were really calling them a great team, or even particularly good. It might've been because New Japan's Heavyweight Tag Scene was dire at the time, but I was never that into them and they never seemed super popular. Like, lots of people loved Gallows and Anderson themselves because they're cool funny dudes with an entertaining podcast and Anderson especially was a really underrated guy who deserved a big push. But I don't remember the team itself being loved that much.

Or maybe I just don't know what i'm talking about.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Were the Club really Smark favourites? I might just be underestimating their popularity, but from what I remember about their NJPW run (at least the last year or so of it, which was when I started watching) not many people were really calling them a great team, or even particularly good. It might've been because New Japan's Heavyweight Tag Scene was dire at the time, but I was never that into them and they never seemed super popular. Like, lots of people loved Gallows and Anderson themselves because they're cool funny dudes with an entertaining podcast and Anderson especially was a really underrated guy who deserved a big push. But I don't remember the team itself being loved that much.

Well, I can say for certain based on when I was living in Japan that Karl Anderson was pretty popular among the wrestling fans I met. And they got a nice reaction when they came out to defend the belts at WK10.

Also harperdc told me one of his students used to get really excited because he thought him and KA looked alike. That was a fun day :)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Well, I can say for certain based on when I was living in Japan that Karl Anderson was pretty popular among the wrestling fans I met. And they got a nice reaction when they came out to defend the belts at WK10.

Also harperdc told me one of his students used to get really excited because he thought him and KA looked alike. That was a fun day :)

KA does rule a hell of a lot. I can agree with that.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The stuff with Smackdown is weird, because aside from Styles I pretty much universally like the Raw roster guys better, but Smackdown has benefited from much better booking. So it's become the better show. It's kind of a shame really. How much talent that show has squandered over the years.

Opinions on Club seemed kind of mixed coming in. People were excited because they were members of a popular stable but at the same time I do remember some people saying they weren't really much to get excited about. Their stuff with AJ was good, but to me they're one of the least interesting teams by themselves. Like I said earlier, they're both very good second bananas(Anderson especially) but by themselves they're not interesting.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Sep 30, 2016

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Gun & Gallows were a completely serviceable team that pretty much everyone acknowledged was holding back MGKA from being the great wrestler that he is. When they were signed, I think that every one got excited because maybe a more robust tag division would let them shine. Instead, the tag divisions split and we are left with the Club as a completely serviceable team holding back Karl Anderson from having great WWE singles matches.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

One of the best things about current Smackdown booking, aside from everything else about it, is that they have come perilously close to giving us the holy grail fo the last ten years: the John Cena Heel Run. His new post-return gimmick of being self-aware that he is the only person who matters is great. Plus the number 2 angle on the show is that Dolph Ziggler is worthless and weak and should not have a job.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

No one from Newfoundland & Labrador pronounces it "found" and tourists who do are almost always subject to some sass hahaha

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

sticklefifer posted:

I'm from the province next door and I've never heard the "found" pronounced, you been dealing with some suspect-rear end newfies

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh my God that is legitimately horrifying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

In like 20 hours the TNA thread is probably getting merged here :rip:

Can't wait until TNA content is on the network so I can watch such great shows as ummmmmmmm

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Can't wait until TNA content is on the network so I can watch such great shows as ummmmmmmm

There was that one 5 star triple threat.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Let's not pretend everyone isn't looking forward to watching the art that was Black Reign.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Also the moment a bloody Joe rises up behind Angle with a look on his face like he's legitimately going to murder him there and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

There's those, there's the Motor City Machine Guns vs Beer Money 2/3 falls match, there's Cheex vs That Guy Cheex Fought, all sorts of top content on TNA network

• Locked thread