Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Skyscraper posted:

Deadly Premonition was all kinds of fun and while I have bad memories about the gameplay, I think it's just because I didn't get the radio until I used gamefaqs. That radio really is super critical.

Edit: I wish more game makers felt free to go absolutely batshit insane in their last act.

You say that, but then you end up with something like Indigo Prophecy

SheepNameKiller posted:

Cat Lady receives high praises but I thought it was flat out bad - not fun, not scary, and at times very unintentionally funny.

The Cat Lady is weird like that. It's unashamedly clunky and hard to control, but I think it is a game that you really have to be in the right mindset to enjoy. I first played it at a time when I wasn't doing great and it blew me away, but when I went back and LP'd it a few years later it was kind of hard to take it seriously at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Bogart posted:

Deadly Premonition is great, gently caress everyone.

vv: The way a game plays does not equal how good a game is. I'm sorry if nobody's ever told you this.

If someone values technical competence, it's not wrong to have issues with games that run like rear end. To each their own you know.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Bogart posted:

vv: The way a game plays does not equal how good a game is. I'm sorry if nobody's ever told you this.

yeah it does? part of the experience of a game vs a movie or other media is how well it plays, because you are playing the game vs reading a book or watching a movie

if the game drops frames to below 25 or has noticeable and visible jank (model clipping, game crashing/freezes, long load times), i'm not gonna play it often or for very long no matter how good the story, or set pieces, or whatever is. i liked deadly premonition in spite of its flaws but i absolutely understand why people don't like it, it's a janky game

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I thought Deadly Premenition was a lot of fun. Not breaking any new ground here, but it's 3/4 great story, some good voice acting, bad mechanics, mediocre graphics, and pretty bad technical performance. I thought the end was amusing but also incredibly disappointing.

It probably is the perfect LP game as you can get all the good parts without struggling with the controls and the crashing and glitch in gets edited out. That said, I haven't watched an LP of it.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Bogart posted:

Deadly Premonition is great, gently caress everyone.

It's almost like the "interactive" part of "interactive media" is kind of important to the way most people feel about and experience it. :jerkbag:

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Deadly Premonition is great.

Sure it's a bit shonky and rough around the edges but it has more character and charm that 99.9% of other games.

Horror as a genre, whatever the medium, is shonky and rough around the edges anyway.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SheepNameKiller posted:

Cat Lady receives high praises but I thought it was flat out bad - not fun, not scary, and at times very unintentionally funny.
Cat Lady would have been a lot better if it was more like being about the main character interacting with her fellow tenants and finding a new appreciation for life while trying to hunt down and stop just one serial killer that lurks in the background for most of the game.

Like a good chunk of the first chapter is kind of like that in tone and then it goes full tilt into silly grimdark with a whole gaggle of goofy serial killers and then the ultimate villain of the game is an Internet troll.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 29, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Deadly Premonition is basically Silent Hill 4. Really interesting plot but really unfun to actually play with a huge amount of just dicking around with backtracking. It does have a good sense of humor though, intentional or not.

Accordion Man posted:

Like a good chunk of the first chapter is kind of like that in tone and then it goes full tilt into silly grimdark with a whole gaggle of goofy serial killers and then the ultimate villain of the game is an Internet troll.

I'll actually defend it on that point. The last killer is the best because he is a person that could actually exist, because those kinds of people do. Look at the girl who convinced her boyfriend to kill himself just for the sympathy, just as one example. You have all this pain and suffering and it all comes out of someone who literally can't lift a finger. Of all the killers in the game I personally think he is the most "real".

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 29, 2016

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

boy are my arms tired posted:

i was going through last years shitstorm from 2bestfriends and i saw the video they did on white night, that weird black/white 60s detective game

has anyone beat it or played it extensively? it looks really goddamn cool and i was thinking about getting it
it's really hard to see where things are and i stopped playing it because of that and not knowing what to do next

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You say that, but then you end up with something like Indigo Prophecy

I liked Indigo Prophecy quite a bit. When I started, I thought I knew where it was going, and then it turned out I really didn't.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Skyscraper posted:

I liked Indigo Prophecy quite a bit. When I started, I thought I knew where it was going, and then it turned out I really didn't.

i liked the first....30% of indigo prophecy. jumping from paranormal murder plot to matrix style QTE fist fighting is real, real bad game direction. you can really tell that the majority of their budget went into the first half of the game and the latter half was the mgoing "poo poo we need to finish this, just give him neo powers and call it a day". this would appear again in heavy rain and beyond 2 souls as well.

i am not all that excited about his new robot android cop game

Relin posted:

it's really hard to see where things are and i stopped playing it because of that and not knowing what to do next

thanks, this was my fear. probably gonna still try it out...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Crabtree posted:

There needs to be more honest attempts at making stupid B/C Movie like horror games. Someone needs to take Dead Rising's crown and just run like a moron with it in some other direction. Demons, rabies virus, going crazy and potentially becoming a serial killer, I don't care. I want more IllBleed or Troma style games.

House of the Dead Overkill

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Improbable Lobster posted:

Overkill had the absolute best tone and I wish "Horror Comedy" was a more popular genre :allears: It was even better when you had a second player.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

i liked the first....30% of indigo prophecy. jumping from paranormal murder plot to matrix style QTE fist fighting is real, real bad game direction. you can really tell that the majority of their budget went into the first half of the game and the latter half was the mgoing "poo poo we need to finish this, just give him neo powers and call it a day". this would appear again in heavy rain and beyond 2 souls as well.

i am not all that excited about his new robot android cop game

this is virtually everyone's opinion on indigo prophecy, i think, never played it myself.

i'm replaying deadly premonition right now and it doesn't run like rear end anymore, for me anyways, but i do have a trainer with invincibility and unlimited weapon durability running to get past the combat. i think the game is a fun and unique experience but i wouldn't begrudge anyone who wanted to watch an lp instead

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

i was going through last years shitstorm from 2bestfriends and i saw the video they did on white night, that weird black/white 60s detective game

has anyone beat it or played it extensively? it looks really goddamn cool and i was thinking about getting it
It starts out fun and good, but devolves into a really lovely avoiding enemies game. Most of which if I remember correctly are invisible until you get close up, and they like to switch up the enemy positions sometimes when progressing through the game and as such I walked out a door into a fully familiar hallway and stumbled straight into a ghost's loving hug. Wouldn't be too bad, except I had to replay like 20 minutes.

strangely, I never returned to it.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

I streamed White Night and hated it, didn't beat it, got a Steam Refund, even. Impossible to see poo poo, including items you need to progress. And survival horror becomes a bit tedious when THE thing you need to survive/play the game at all is a finite resource. That's just bad game design right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSIkLP9qJ_M

Also, am I posting to many videos featuring my own drat self? Tell me if that's annoying or against thread rules! :ohdear:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

smuh posted:

It starts out fun and good, but devolves into a really lovely avoiding enemies game. Most of which if I remember correctly are invisible until you get close up, and they like to switch up the enemy positions sometimes when progressing through the game and as such I walked out a door into a fully familiar hallway and stumbled straight into a ghost's loving hug. Wouldn't be too bad, except I had to replay like 20 minutes.

strangely, I never returned to it.

thats a shame, im not a fan of invisible enemies. i guess i'll try it since i got 15 bucks credit and can't think of something else i want atm

while we're talking about hotd / goofy horror lightgun shooters, there was a real old lightgun shooter that i played a lot of when i was a kid, CarnEvil? i think it was called

it tried to be straight clown horror i think but kid me just thought it was real goofy and dumb

VoidBurger posted:

I streamed White Night and hated it, didn't beat it, got a Steam Refund, even. Impossible to see poo poo, including items you need to progress. And survival horror becomes a bit tedious when THE thing you need to survive/play the game at all is a finite resource. That's just bad game design right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSIkLP9qJ_M

Also, am I posting to many videos featuring my own drat self? Tell me if that's annoying or against thread rules! :ohdear:

i will check this out when i get home, thank you! and i don't think anyone really cares who posts what videos, i think its cool personally

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

VoidBurger posted:

And survival horror becomes a bit tedious when THE thing you need to survive/play the game at all is a finite resource. That's just bad game design right there.

Isn't that the definition of survival horror? I know Resident Evil tought little me that it might not be smart to waste limited ammo. I'm not familiar with the game in question though, so it may be a different sort of mechanic.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Isn't that the definition of survival horror? I know Resident Evil tought little me that it might not be smart to waste limited ammo. I'm not familiar with the game in question though, so it may be a different sort of mechanic.

I think she means that if you use up your items then you are just dead in the water. At least in RE you had a knife or whatever.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
The GAME part of Deadly Premonition isn't good, but everything else is amazing.

Just watch SuperGreatFriend play it really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpYKx9m3NU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

while we're talking about hotd / goofy horror lightgun shooters, there was a real old lightgun shooter that i played a lot of when i was a kid, CarnEvil? i think it was called

it tried to be straight clown horror i think but kid me just thought it was real goofy and dumb

CarnEvil! :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT9OdJ5snoQ
This game was so dumb in retrospect

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

In Halloween spirit, apparently one of the free PS+ games for October is going to be the Resident Evil REmake. Get it while it's hot, it's really good.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I think she means that if you use up your items then you are just dead in the water. At least in RE you had a knife or whatever.

Having a lose condition is not, in and of itself, bad game design though.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Poulpe posted:

holy poo poo ludwig von TOKKENTAKER

this game took place in iowa oh my god

i need to download this and play lmao

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Having a lose condition is not, in and of itself, bad game design though.

When it's an immediate effect, no. But finding out you messed up 20 minutes ago and having to restart can be annoying

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
To be clear: I mean the resources are not only finite, but available in very small numbers AND completely necessary to progress in-game.

Most survival horror is stuff like:
-You have limited ammo, but can still run away from enemies, or have a backup, terrible weapon to use in a real pinch. You can still progress if you run out, but it will be more difficult.
-You have limited health items, but again, can still run away from enemies or I suppose "get gud." You can still progress if you run out, but it will be more difficult.

In White Night, if you run out of matches, you will straight up die in moments and cannot progress at all. If you are in darkness for more than 10 seconds, you game over, there's nothing you can do about it. The non-match light sources are far apart, in rooms where the light switches are hard to find without matches, and some do not stay on permanently. If you run out of matches, you cannot run from one semi-permanent light source to another, because not only can you NOT SEE ANYTHING between those two points in different rooms, but you will die on the way there regardless because the darkness kills you in the time it would take to traverse those two points. Watch the video I posted to see how truly, truly unplayably dark that game is. I wasted tons of matches while looking for logs for a fireplace (which I have to light with a match), but even with the matches lighting the way, I still could not find the logs because I could not see them due to the stark black and white art style. You cannot pick up things, nor interact with most things without them being illuminated by the matches, so if you run out of them, you are cornered in an unplayable state. The ghosts are not even the main threat to you, really, you can usually jog away from them. It's simply being without light that'll end your game, so making matches so finite is such a terribly bad design decision, on top of making the game in an art style so severe, you can't make heads or tails of your environment.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Maybe a little more caustic than I'd meant it to be. :shobon: I just meant that "not wanting to play a game" is not a complete reason not to experience a game, and DP should not be overlooked just for its budget.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Double post.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Poulpe posted:

CarnEvil was/is awesome, a local bowling alley had a cabinet for it before they shut down a time later and when they did, since they weren't some chain thing or anything and didn't feel like just sticking all this stuff in storage I guess, they ended up selling off a lot of the stuff they had inside like all the pinball machines and arcade cabinets.

A buddy of mine ended up with that CarnEvil. :getin:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

If you people like Deadly Premonition and want to play a more survival-horrory SWERY game you should try Extermination for the PS2, it's just as bad but fits the more classic style of survival horror where you going to an area where poo poo is hosed up and trying to survive while conserving resources.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DreamShipWrecked posted:

RE also made enemies drop more ammo when you were low and had an absurdly high number of ink ribbons.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The proper way to do finite resources is to have the final boss die once you run out of shotgun ammo

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

That, the aforementioned and some of the Evil Dead games, particularly Fistful of Boomstick and Regeneration, are all I can think of. Maybe Michigan if you squint enough? Now I know some people like perpetual Silent Hill Navel Gazing and other Oh-So-Serious attempts at horror, but I really need to shoot the poo poo about this genre every now and again because with stuff like Year of the Ladybug, its kind of asking for a pantsing.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Crabtree posted:

That, the aforementioned and some of the Evil Dead games, particularly Fistful of Boomstick and Regeneration, are all I can think of. Maybe Michigan if you squint enough? Now I know some people like perpetual Silent Hill Navel Gazing and other Oh-So-Serious attempts at horror, but I really need to shoot the poo poo about this genre every now and again because with stuff like Year of the Ladybug, its kind of asking for a pantsing.

Resident Evil 4 manages to be a pretty fun, goofy romp. I just started Zombi today and it's surprisingly deeper than I expected.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The original Five Nights at Freddie's is a horror comedy in a more subtle, dark way. (Like how the protagonist is risking their life every night just to get paid less than minimum wage or how the animatronics are actually not malevolent, they just don't understand why you're not in a suit and only want to "help" you.) It's sequels deviated from that pretty hard though.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 30, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Accordion Man posted:

The original Five Nights at Freddie's is a horror comedy in a more subtle, dark way. (Like how the protagonist is risking their life every night just to get paid less than minimum wage or how the animatronics are actually not malevolent, they just don't understand why you're not in a suit and only want to "help" you.) It's sequels deviated from that pretty hard though.

It's not subtle at all, it's explicitly stated

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

It's not subtle at all, it's explicitly stated

I think they meant subtle as opposed to just being outright whacky.

Crabtree posted:

Demons, rabies virus, going crazy and potentially becoming a serial killer, I don't care.

as much as I love zombies, yeah, I dream of the day we get a game like "State of Decay" but set during a Cosmic Horror style even where the world is just going to poo poo and you're just struggling to survive again utterly bizarre and horrific being from dimension x.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Drunken Baker posted:

I think they meant subtle as opposed to just being outright whacky.

But FNAF has always had this undercurrent of whacky silliness. The company's official policy for employee deaths is to deep clean the security room, wait 48 hours and then file a missing person report.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

CarnEvil was/is awesome, a local bowling alley had a cabinet for it before they shut down a time later and when they did, since they weren't some chain thing or anything and didn't feel like just sticking all this stuff in storage I guess, they ended up selling off a lot of the stuff they had inside like all the pinball machines and arcade cabinets.

A buddy of mine ended up with that CarnEvil. :getin:

It's always been a dream of mine to get rich enough to get the arcade games I loved as a kid and set them up in my house. Like the old American Laser Games light gun games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

poptart_fairy posted:

But FNAF has always had this undercurrent of whacky silliness. The company's official policy for employee deaths is to deep clean the security room, wait 48 hours and then file a missing person report.

Yeah but not compared to Dead Rising where you're running around with a big plastic head on or Resident Evil 4 where Leon's cracking wise with cheesy 80's one liners is what I think Accordion Man means.