Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Sinewave posted:

jfc who the gently caress AP's out on Camel Up :confused:

I play with a lot of people who are engineers professionally, and it's essentially what's described above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh, it's not under order of business like I expected it to be. But poo poo, it's random. :negative:

Just draft the city tiles and have turn order be reverse order of the draft.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh, it's not under order of business like I expected it to be. But poo poo, it's random. :negative:

All Splotter games I've ever seen except Indonesia have random elements in setup but virtually nowhere else.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Even 18XX uses randomized seating order before the opening auction.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Jedit posted:

All Splotter games I've ever seen except Indonesia have random elements in setup but virtually nowhere else.

City cards are distributed randomly.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah it's weird. Like it's the difference between picking a turn order in the game vs picking one before the game. e.g. Chess and Go, where there's a specific turn order. It's chosen before the game probably in a random manner, but isn't part of the game per say. The obvious analogous thing to do would be to say company X always starts first, followed by Y and Z. Same effect, but it could then correctly say there's no randomness involved.

It's a really dumb and extremely grognardy thing but I was hoping it didn't have that since the box says no dice and my board gaming group will probably still laugh at it despite me assuring them it's a nice, heavy game.

Papes posted:

Just draft the city tiles and have turn order be reverse order of the draft.

Sounds good. Might try this after a couple plays.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Hello Board Game Thread. This is crossposted with the chat thread so if you saw my post here you can cheerfully page down and not miss anything.

So I have a favor to ask. I'm currently taking a class at my university. Specifically, it's "Business of Games", run by an entrepreneurship professor who also happens to be a giant nerd, so there's some nice cross discipline mixing there. Our assignment for this week was to come up with a survey for our game/company/service we're marketing and get people to take it (Well, okay, we did that last week and now we're to revise them and get more respondents but still!). I give this context because while it's for a business class, and yes it's a board game idea I have kicking around (basically my wife and I going "what if there was a JRPG version of BSG?"), it's not an actual marketing survey and I'm not trying to stealth market research you guys, I'm just looking for data for my class (i.e. this isn't for something I actually want to sell, it was just what I picked for the various class projects)..

Of course, my problem is that due to Various Things, I'm a bit behind schedule on this and I may have a slight deadline of like fourteen hours from now to get as many responses as I can. I'm not exactly going to claim excellent student on this one. So, if people could be awesome and take the survey, it shouldn't be more than seven minutes or so.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JWLNJCS

Also if this is against the rules and the wrath of Ettin comes down on me, I apologize.

If that doesn't happen and people do take the survey then I like you very much and thank you.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Since I've mainly played COINs in solitaire, I treat them like puzzle games where I can take hours to ponder a move. I can only imagine what this would make me like in a 4-player game.

Do you feel like COIN games have a lot of strategic decisions, or are they more about identifying the optimal move?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I took your survey, but I also hope you get probated. Equivalent exchange.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I took your survey. You could have also asked me, "Do you like board games?*" and probably gotten the same amount of useful information in my case.

*Yes.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Its kind of annoying that the first block is arranged from "disagree" to "agree" and the next block is the opposite.

bean mug
Nov 11, 2011

you think you can just say things to me?

TheCog posted:

Its kind of annoying that the first block is arranged from "disagree" to "agree" and the next block is the opposite.

Hmm I might have filled out parts of the survey incorrectly, because I did not notice that. Whups. :downs:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheCog posted:

Yeah also this.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I noticed that and was similarly annoyed by it, but did realize it before submitting. Good luck.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I've come to realise I just don't like traitor games - at least, traitor games that go for more than like 10 minutes.

It's frustrating to spend a whole game trying to find out who to trust, have to deal with suboptimal play (possibly intentionally, possibly not), only to have what feels like a fairly weak "I fooled you!" moment at the end of it all. It works well in games like One Night Ultimate Werewolf, but I find even Resistance too long for me to enjoy, and every time I've played BSG in the past two years has turned out to be anticlimactic (admittedly, only about 4 times, but that's enough times to play a 2+ hour game you've realised you don't like).

The only traitor mechanic in a long game I've actually liked recently is the insanity mechanic from Mansions of Madness 2E, as it's an additional punishment for already being on the way to losing the game and you know exactly who to be wary of, just not what their plan is.

Anyone else in a similar boat? If you can't understand where I'm coming from, what it is about traitor games that you enjoy?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I liked BSG the two times I played it, but the players were also good and took roles seriously.

Besides that I've never played a traitor game I've particularly liked. One Night Werewolf in particular I just find boring. Avalon was ok the first game, no interest playing it after that. I think it's just not my "thing".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheCog posted:

Don't worry. It's also not mandatory to answer all the questions.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Something for the methodology write-up

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah it's weird. Like it's the difference between picking a turn order in the game vs picking one before the game. e.g. Chess and Go, where there's a specific turn order. It's chosen before the game probably in a random manner, but isn't part of the game per say. The obvious analogous thing to do would be to say company X always starts first, followed by Y and Z. Same effect, but it could then correctly say there's no randomness involved.

It's a really dumb and extremely grognardy thing but I was hoping it didn't have that since the box says no dice and my board gaming group will probably still laugh at it despite me assuring them it's a nice, heavy game.

You're worried that your friends will think FCM is a luckfest because the starting turn order is random, and you'd prefer to have a set starting company (but who's playing which company is random). You've gone off the deep end.
Anyway, if you're teaching it, just lie and say it's done alphabetically, or by age! Whichever benefits you most.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Just go all in and bid for turn order, or auction the role of the player who decides the turn order.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Turn order is balanced in FCM due to setup, so I don't think it's such a big issue. In the first turns the turn order tends to switch over anyway, since right at the start it is advantageous to be last in turn sequence, but this means that you get to pick last next turn. After you have done three turns it becomes important to judge how many slots to leave open, so the starting order matters very little at that point.

EDIT: Also it's still 100% dice free because the accepted method of picking companies that go first is to put them all in your fist and letting them drop one by one :v:
And yeah, I don't get what the difference is between randomly assigning companies that have a preset order to people vs. randomly determining what the order of companies is after people have picked companies. Unless you allow players to specifically pick companies, but that's pretty much the same as allowing players to pick which slot in the turn order they want to be in.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 30, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just got an out-of-the-blue message on BGG from someone in my area who plays COIN games and wants to get together. Hell yeah!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You are half of the way there to getting a full table, congrats!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tekopo posted:

You are half of the way there to getting a full table, congrats!

The person has a spouse! That's 3!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In FCM tournament play seating order is determined by your seed in the tournament, which is determined by your ELO rating. It's only determined randomly for filthy casuals.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
"We are apparently missing two players, how about we play some ASL instead?"

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So apparently Quinns did not pull the article on the LoL game due to a conflict of interests, but rather a press embargo and will in fact have it reviewed on his site by a friend. :laugh:

[edit]

Quinns posted:

will cost $75 plus shipping, a price that means – purely in terms of components – this box is the best value for money that the board game scene has ever seen.

Gear up, Rutibex!!!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

Do you feel like COIN games have a lot of strategic decisions, or are they more about identifying the optimal move?

I have 3 COIN games (CL, FitL, FS) but I have only played the last two vs the bots, not human opponents. So as a solitaire player there is definitely a big element of identifying the right move, because you can often know what just the bots are going to do in reaction to your move. When playing human opponents, there's also a decent level of "poo poo I can't let him get this great event" that will influence your thinking. But that said, one of the big advantages that solitaire players have is the ability to do long-term planning. In the long run you have the advantage because you can plan where to build up and concentrate your efforts, which is the kind of thing bot flowcharts are not good at.

It kinda makes me want to code an AI for COIN games.

COOL CORN posted:

The person has a spouse! That's 3!

I wish anyone loved me enough to play COINs with me :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There are strategic decisions in COIN and it does affect the way you play the game. The issue is that sometimes the optimal strategic direction is not clear, and sometimes it can be hard for beginners to understand which strategic directions are suboptimal are which ones are more favorable to how the faction that they are playing functions.

One of the biggest issues that was apparent even with the release of Andean Abyss is the role of the principal insurgent faction, which in the case of Andean Abyss is FARC. I saw a lot of newbies play FARC like they would play any other standard force: attempt to take the government head on and do some damage. The problem with that is that the government is a lot more powerful than you, it can train pretty easily to get troops back, so losing two troops even with an ambush is not a good proposition. When I'm playing a principal insurgent faction (FARC in AA, a combination of M26/Directorio in CL, Taliban in ADP, NLF in FitL etc) you need to understand that the most important part of the game is targeting infrastructure to cut off the government economically and doing as much terror as possible. One thing that Panzeh used to do in AA as FARC was the basis of most of my principal insurgent strats: you go to the roads surrounding cities (for free) to draw out the police/troops, then you jump into the cities and take control of them: if a propaganda is due this can severely stretch the forces of the government and if you take over a city during propaganda, all the nearby roads are auto-sabotaged. It's a strategy that is very annoying for the government to deal with and difficult for them to crush you because it takes so many resources to stop and you have to station lots of police/troops in cities which slows down your countryside pacification campaigns.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

And yeah, I don't get what the difference is between randomly assigning companies that have a preset order to people vs. randomly determining what the order of companies is after people have picked companies. Unless you allow players to specifically pick companies, but that's pretty much the same as allowing players to pick which slot in the turn order they want to be in.
Right. Practically it makes no difference. It's only a semantic difference when you advertise your game as completely luck-free.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Right. Practically it makes no difference. It's only a semantic difference when you advertise your game as completely luck-free.
That's not what the box says, though.

EDIT: Also, there isn't anything lucky or unlucky about last or first in the game. Being last allows you to place your restaurant first. Being first allows you to see where everyone else is going AND also see what their first hire is.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lichtenstein posted:

So apparently Quinns did not pull the article on the LoL game due to a conflict of interests, but rather a press embargo and will in fact have it reviewed on his site by a friend. :laugh:

[edit]

Gear up, Rutibex!!!

I'm not usually a minis guy myself. I prefer mass/quantity over quality. Now if the minis were made of lead or pewter.....

That League of Legends game looks pretty slick though. I'm not much of LoL person myself (why would anyone want to play Warcraft 3 with only one unit? :psyduck:) but that board game looks like a frantic multiplayer logic puzzle.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Chill la Chill posted:

Dice-free, not luck-free. Also, starting turn order isn't lucky or unlucky. The reverse-turn-order initial restaurant placement takes care of that.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Rutibex posted:

Now if the minis were made of lead

makes a lot of sense now

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
This conversation about FCM and its player order might be the spergiest thing I've ever read in this thread.

I played my first ever game of Scythe this week on TTS. Not the best way to learn a game, but it was do-able.
I ended up not backing the KS because I stopped buying games sight un-seen for the most part...and I kind of wish I had not backed out now (if only for the stuff). The advertising of 4x is garbage, but I thought the overall gameplay where the threat of combat was more important than actual combat was cool. It helps that I am not a big direct conflict gamer. I came out wanting to play again and see how different factions and approaches play out...but I am not 100% sold on it or sure how much replayability it'll have with my group. Oh yeah, I also totally messed up understanding the scoring and still somehow won...so that was something.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Dice-free, not luck-free. Also, starting turn order isn't lucky or unlucky. The reverse-turn-order initial restaurant placement takes care of that.

The front of the box says "There's no such thing as luck. Skill wins every time."

Edit: Note, I'm not complaining about FCM - it's a great game. I did kind of roll my eyes when I read that part though; even if it was true in the sense they intended (ie. the game had no random elements), it's a bit of a wank. It's also ironic, because it comes across as shaming casuals who roll dice and stuff, but they're using a very casual definition of luck. Their game has simultaneous action selection, politics, and tons of past-the-horizon planning - from a Garfieldian (ie. "correct and well thought out") view it has tons of luck (which is fine, games essentially all need luck).

VVV: Let Garfield into your heart, man! (Seriously, though, they're using "luck" as the opposite - or complement or something - of "skill" pretty clearly - so they're not just 'not accepting Garfield' like some of you heathen, they're failing to see how randomness and skill aren't the only factors that could decide who wins). And, again, I quite like FCM, I just have a conditioned eye-roll response to this kind of phrase.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 30, 2016

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

A lot of board gamers distinguish chaos from luck.

Chaos is the unpredictability that comes from other players' surprising decisions and an inability to correctly foresee future game states.

Luck is the unpredictability that comes from random elements like dice or card draws.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

jmzero posted:

The front of the box says "There's no such thing as luck. Skill wins every time."

Edit: Note, I'm not complaining about FCM - it's a great game. I did kind of roll my eyes when I read that part though; even if it was true in the sense they intended (ie. the game had no random elements), it's a bit of a wank. It's also ironic, because it comes across as shaming casuals who roll dice and stuff, but they're using a very casual definition of luck. Their game has simultaneous action selection, politics, and tons of past-the-horizon planning - from a Garfieldian (ie. "correct and well thought out") view it has tons of luck (which is fine, games essentially all need luck).

Don't get too wrapped up in the game's aesthetic. Everything about the presentation nails the style of language it's going for. Imagine if Avalon Hill published this game in the 70s about 50s retro diners, it would totally have "100% DICE FREE" written on the side.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

ChiTownEddie posted:

This conversation about FCM and its player order might be the spergiest thing I've ever read in this thread.

Pretty much.

If player order matters at the beginning of a game that much, that seems to me to be a design flaw. I also hate the "cute" ways many games offer for determining first player, so I typically just use this app which randomly selects a finger on put on the screen (it can even be used for random teams).

Though personally, I don't mind "luck" in games all the time, at least when there is some way to mitigate that luck. Unfortunately, actively mitigating a games' luck mechanic can get you targeted by players who don't.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

me posted:

So I'm sitting at over 130 responses between you guys and BGG, and my professor had been saying we needed 30-60 at minimum, so thank you all a stupid large amount for making me look good for this class.

As an addendum, yeah, I kind of goofed on the ordering of the responses to the two matrix questions because I was spending more time panicking than thinking, unfortunately. That being said, no seriously you all are lifesavers (I mean, not literally, but like figuratively literally)..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

foxxtrot posted:

Pretty much.

If player order matters at the beginning of a game that much, that seems to me to be a design flaw. I also hate the "cute" ways many games offer for determining first player, so I typically just use this app which randomly selects a finger on put on the screen (it can even be used for random teams).

Though personally, I don't mind "luck" in games all the time, at least when there is some way to mitigate that luck. Unfortunately, actively mitigating a games' luck mechanic can get you targeted by players who don't.
As mentioned, player order does not actually affect the game at all and I've never felt disadvantaged/advantaged from going first or last.