Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just had a tin of Season sardines (boneless skinless) with Tabasco sauce on crackers after work and they were goddamn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Yesterday I had wheat Triscuits with sardines and a homemade hatch chile hot sauce. I ate all this in a conference room while watching coworkers play Mahjong

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Gonna need a recipe for that hatch chile sauce, sardude.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Look Sir Droids posted:

My notes for the Mexican dish that southerners think is "chili":

5lb pork shoulder or beef roast
1 big bag dried red chillies (ancho/paisillo, guajillio in equal parts, toasted maybe), about 12-15 total ounces of dried chilies.
2 onions
8-10 cloves garlic
4 bay leaves
4 tbsp chopped fresh Mexican oregano or majoram if you cannot get Mexican oreg (~2 tbsp dry). If majoram appx 1tbsp is plenty, add gradually and taste.
2 tbsp cumin
Juice of 2 oranges
salt, pepper

Most legit chili is 5 ancho : 2 pasilla : 2 guajillo, buying softest possible chilies. Recipe turns out okay leaving out the pasillas.

Brown meat, cook onions and garlic, add cumin. Add soaked, deseeded, chopped chilis. Cover with stock. Simmer 2-4 hours, using lid to adjust sauce thickness.

You can also make a puree of all the nonmeat items, strain it, and simmer the meat in that.

Note: A fresh ancho is a poblano which may also dry to become a mulato, you cannot tell before drying, the mulato is darker -- all are mild. Raw poblanos are bitter until roasted. Pasillo is a dark long chili and can be very spicy, they have a distinctive astringent flavor -- often mislabeled as anchos a pasillo is 8-9 inches long and tube shaped rather than conical. Guajillio is a dried Anaheim chili, purple and fairly hot.  These are also known as New Mexico chilies or California chilies and their heat level varies a lot when fresh -- Hatch is a town in the chili growing region of New Mexico. A mix of fresh and dried chilies is also fine for this recipe.

Chilies de Arbol have no flavor, just heat. Chipotles are smoked dried jalapeños. Chilies de secos are dried serranos with their grassy flavor barely intact. Pequin chilies are sweet, smoky, and brightly hot.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 30, 2016

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Look Sir Droids posted:

OK here's what's up with the hatch chile thing

Every year, Wegmans (which is an East Coast groc store chain) does a hatch chile roast where they get these big cases of them and they set up outside roasters like in the southwest. Therefore, I bought a whole case of them because they're delicious and they freeze well.

What I did was loosely based on this, which I've done before,

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Mango_Habanero_Hot_Sauce

..but what I really did was puree a bunch of already roasted, defrosted hatches and some good quality apple cider hippie vinegar

Softened the onion in a little oil, then garlic, mixed in some cumin and tumeric, folded in, salt to taste

I like the sauce a little thicker and with the texture of the onions. Its not a vinegary hot sauce, more a relish and it's amazing on eggs too.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Wife is currently making twice-baked potatoes she plans to top with mustard 'dines. I'm wearing a cardigan given to me by an wicked cool ancient pensioner before he moved into an assisted living place. Today is also the day to sort through some boxes of hardware in preparation for finally setting up my workshop in the current place.

Need to go do up an iceless Wild Turk 101 old fashioned to see if I can peg the dadometer.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

bought my first 'dines today, KO in olive oil with pepper corns. gonna eat them with rice.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ragtime All The Time posted:

bought my first 'dines today, KO in olive oil with pepper corns. gonna eat them with rice.

ohhh those are good. My second pick, only beaten by the plain ones in oil.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Sardine Status: Depleted.

Pelt Status: Shiny.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm gonna have to rescind my 'okay since it's less than half the price' assessment on Bumblebee after getting two gross cans in a week. Gonna split the price difference and eat kippers for a while.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Speleothing posted:

I'm gonna have to rescind my 'okay since it's less than half the price' assessment on Bumblebee after getting two gross cans in a week. Gonna split the price difference and eat kippers for a while.

Just buy good 'dines my dude. Cheap ones are like entirely different fish to decent ones. There are some things you shouldn't cheap out on - you wouldn't buy lovely cheap coffee because you know it's gonna be gross. You'd pay a little more for that sourdough loaf compared to the sliced white. Buy the good fishes. It's worth the money.

E: not to mention that the cheap and lovely ones are likely fished unsustainably, compared to stuff like the KO's which come from Norway where you know they're gonna be strict on this stuff so that there will still be fishies for us and our kids to eat in the future.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 4, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure the Norworks are ocean rapists almost on an Asian level but I hope not

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I thought KO dines were from Polish waters.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Tried kippers for the first time.

I like them! I was expecting more of a smoky flavor but they weren't very aggressive which was nice. I opened a tin and had it with my salmon salad. I used the packet of dill mustard dressing that came with the salmon (Foppen) and it went well with it.

Wikipedia says people in the UK, Belgium, and Japan eat these for breakfast? Do they really? I thought only Nigel Thornberry is only one in Britain still eating these.

Speaking of the wiki page. I want to find where the hell they're serving a whole fried kipper with an egg on top. Good God man that looks sumptuous.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What is this threads opinion on sprats, specifically sprats from Russia or Ukraine and their varying flavors? I am a big fan.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
New Facebook contest on King Oscar's page. You could probably get a coupon just for participating and the really good entries will get prizes.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Hollismason posted:

What is this threads opinion on sprats, specifically sprats from Russia or Ukraine and their varying flavors? I am a big fan.

Riga smoked sprats come from Latvia and they're my favorite 'dines I've had so far. I can't tell much difference between sprats and other alleged subcategories of sardine.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

theres a will theres moe posted:

Riga smoked sprats come from Latvia and they're my favorite 'dines I've had so far. I can't tell much difference between sprats and other alleged subcategories of sardine.
I got sick of them honestly. Try some KO mediterranean-style or KO kippers and see what you think.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

numberoneposter posted:

Sardine Status: Depleted.

Pelt Status: Shiny.

how is your shirt and socks status?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Herr Tog posted:

how is your shirt and socks status?
I have to go to the internet company to drop off a modem and stuff and H&M is right over there.

Socks Socks Sock

I would go right now but it's raining.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Socksess :smugdog:

naem
May 29, 2011

precious

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I hate to admit it but having acquired some King Oscars, I actually think I prefer the larger sardines from Trader Joes. I don't know if it's the different fish, or if it's the tails left on, or what, but there's a taste that smacks a bit too much of the bait shop. They're still pretty great, but goddamn the T.J. 'dines in harissa were pretty much the best.

I'm looking forward to trying the King Oscar jalapeno 'dines, though.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
TJ harissa dines are my favorites as well

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Wikipedia says people in the UK, Belgium, and Japan eat these for breakfast? Do they really? I thought only Nigel Thornberry is only one in Britain still eating these.

It's an old people thing. You could almost say it's pretty... dadly.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, this being the dine thread and all. Just fry them up quickly and serve with other breakfast things, fry some diced potatoes and eggs and stuff with them. It's totally awesome but the smell will not leave your kitchen until next morning, though.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

thathonkey posted:

TJ harissa dines are my favorites as well

They are good!

The other night I was making veggie burritos (I slow cook chickpeas and tomatoes with spices and garlic and mash it all up) and decided to add some TJ harissas with the hot sauce at the end when I was assembling the burritos.

Do not do this.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

A little something from the newspaper comics megathread...

...so, back in 1939 you got free cigars and booze from tinned fishies companies? drat, what a time to be a dad.

Speaking of free things in the mail :siren: I HAVE A REQUEST :siren:

As some of you know, I make art out of sardine lids. A gallery has just invited me to display/sell my works there, so I'm in artdine-making overdrive right now. I can really use as many dine lids as possible... so just a reminder that if you've got a dine-a-day habit and send me a bunch of lids, I will send you a delightful prize in the mail. Plain, printed, sprats/anchovies/kippers/oysters, doesn't matter, as long as they're the rectangular pull-off lids. Thank you, and happy 'dine-ing.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Some investor guy from TV credits his health and success to eating five cans of dines per day.
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/11/why-this-millionaire-investor-eats-five-cans-of-sardines-every-day.html

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Male Tears posted:

Some investor guy from TV credits his health and success to eating five cans of dines per day.
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/11/why-this-millionaire-investor-eats-five-cans-of-sardines-every-day.html

I can respect it but any more than 1 dine can a day is stretching it imo.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Male Tears posted:

I don't like this guy and I can't say I endorse his endorsement of Sardines.

Evidence:

This loving clown posted:

"Sardines are the No. 1 superfood

superfood?....uggggggggggggggghlshh.

It's bad enough that he used that weasel word. But it's worse enough that he claims it's the "No. 1 superfood"

It's like someone asking "could kale also be a superfood?"

"No. 1 superfood. Sardine. All other subparfood."

for guys,"

I'm pretty sure girls can benefit from sardines too you loving clown.

"They're a powerhouse of nutrition,

Are you loving kidding? This is literally the buzzword Lau from The Dark Knight used when he was scamming the poo poo out of Wayne Enterprises.

Is it this easy to be a business person? Just watch movies and poo poo? Why bother studying to be a tech at all, I might ask?

Sorry for the fire, but I'm not a fan of eccentric rich people giving lovely nutritional advice and then dying because of that advice.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fun Shoe
I don't know about you guys, but I rely on celebrities for all of my health advice.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

withak posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I rely on celebrities for all of my health advice.

I only rely on celebrity doctors :smuggo:

Like Phil and Oz.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

FaradayCage posted:

Sorry for the fire, but I'm not a fan of eccentric rich people giving lovely nutritional advice and then dying because of that advice.

I bet you loved Steve Jobs.

Utterly Irrelephant
Sep 6, 2007
ive got a rocket in my pocket
Five tins a day?! It takes me at least a week to eat that many dines. dude needs to get some more variety in his diet.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Imagine how he smells

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Ceciltron posted:

Imagine how he smells

That was my first thought when I read that article. Opening a can of sardines in my house makes it smell like a Korean bodega, I bet he smells the same.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

bengy81 posted:

Opening a can of sardines in my house makes it smell like a Korean bodega

It makes my house smell like a Panamanian Taekwondo school.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

This is him:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dines giving him luscious hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ive got to admit i like sardines but 1 tin and im done for a week at least. im working on getting better though :( not a dad yet