Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

obi_ant posted:

Check out this slipcase for Batman. First three volumes of what I needed.

Edit: Ugh, it's gonna look so annoying on my bookcase if it doesn't match with the rest.

I got that exact set in on Friday and this is what they look like:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Cactus Jack posted:

I got that exact set in on Friday and this is what they look like:

I wonder if there is going to be another set.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So I have a great recommendation for you all, which is Azzarello's Wonder Woman 1-35 2013-2014. But it comes with a monkey's paw like curse, because you can't read any comics after that. Wonder Woman #36 by Finch(es), Friend, and Oback? It doesn't exist. It should not exist. Do not read it. Reading it might induce a quality whiplash so mighty you will be paralyzed at the soft tissue trauma.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

So I have a great recommendation for you all, which is Azzarello's Wonder Woman 1-35 2013-2014. But it comes with a monkey's paw like curse, because you can't read any comics after that. Wonder Woman #36 by Finch(es), Friend, and Oback? It doesn't exist. It should not exist. Do not read it. Reading it might induce a quality whiplash so mighty you will be paralyzed at the soft tissue trauma.

I'm not sure what this issue you're talking about is? It sure was weird when DC stopped publishing Wonder Woman for 18 months before Rebirth and Rucka's run, though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I agree, Azzarellos run was good and the series took a decline after he left. If you liked that and want more WW I'd recommend The Legend of Wonder Woman ongoing. It's different tonally, but the quality is there.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

I agree, Azzarellos run was good and the series took a decline after he left. If you liked that and want more WW I'd recommend The Legend of Wonder Woman ongoing. It's different tonally, but the quality is there.

I hope you all were reading Sensation Comics, too!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What's that?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

What's that?

The excellent anthology WW run that came out at around the same time as the Finch series.

http://comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=45218

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 19, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

redbackground posted:

The excellent anthology WW run that came out at around the same time as the Finch series.

http://comicbookdb.com/title.php?ID=45218

Huh okay I'll have to take a look at these, thanks!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would like to say thank you to X-O for saving me from missing out on a ton of story for Infinity Gauntlet and it's good stuff too I'm enjoying it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Are there any really good comics about pirates?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

Watchmen.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

El Cazador!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Roth posted:

Cursed Pirate Girl.

You have to love hyper detailed artwork with lots of tiny lines that take the creator forever to draw.

You also have to love Alice in Wonderland. It's very much a fantasy in a similar vein.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!

Roth posted:

One piece

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm waiting for that to get ahead a bit more before catching up again.

Uthor posted:

Cursed Pirate Girl.

You have to love hyper detailed artwork with lots of tiny lines that take the creator forever to draw.

You also have to love Alice in Wonderland. It's very much a fantasy in a similar vein.

These seem interesting enough to check out, thanks.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Skwirl posted:

Watchmen.

How realistic are we goin for here? Cos One Piece is one of the longest running manga and is about pirates WITH POWERS

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I already read One Piece!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Veg posted:

How realistic are we goin for here? Cos One Piece is one of the longest running manga and is about pirates WITH POWERS

Someone has only seen the movie.

Another joke answer that technically fits Jamie Delano's "Rawbone"

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

How stereotypically pirate does it need to be? I'm a bit through the first Corto Maltese book and I'd argue it kinda fits the bill.

Alternatively, The Massive, although that really poo poo the bed in the back half.

Or The Wake, see above re: bed poo poo.

Finally, although I'm not sure if Fantagraphics has printed them yet in their collections, there were various EC Comics pirate stories with art from Wood, Davis, Ingalls, etc.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
There's also that one volume of Deadpool where he decides to be a pirate.

Is there any good comics with disabled protagonists who actually are impaired by whatever they're supposed to have wrong with them? 've got Spina Bifida and it's one thing that's irked me for a while is that people like Daredevil have disabilities, but then they have some ability that seems to totally negate it. Equally, I do like Nico Minoru and Elsa Bloodstone, but they may as well have both arms intact for all their prosthetic arms impede them, I'm aware both are magic, but that's part of the problem as stated above. The only character I can think of is Oracle but of course they went and fixed her too, so she's back to being Batgirl.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Flash Venom? Not sure if he quite meets your requirements but he's explicitly disabled when out of the Venom suit and that's part of why he doesn't want to stop being Venom.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There was that one girl on New Warriors.

EDIT: You asked for good nevermind

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

By disabilities are you counting mental? Because Silk's whole deal is her arrested development/mental illness/rage issues crippling her as a superhero.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anime_Otaku posted:

There's also that one volume of Deadpool where he decides to be a pirate.

Is there any good comics with disabled protagonists who actually are impaired by whatever they're supposed to have wrong with them? 've got Spina Bifida and it's one thing that's irked me for a while is that people like Daredevil have disabilities, but then they have some ability that seems to totally negate it. Equally, I do like Nico Minoru and Elsa Bloodstone, but they may as well have both arms intact for all their prosthetic arms impede them, I'm aware both are magic, but that's part of the problem as stated above. The only character I can think of is Oracle but of course they went and fixed her too, so she's back to being Batgirl.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but issue 7 of Mark Waid's first Daredevil run has him taking blind kids on a camping trip and his disability very much impairs him when things go horribly wrong. It's a stand alone issue so no continuity worries either.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Does Hawkeye's deafness count?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Does Hawkeye's deafness count?

Even deaf people would debate among themselves weather or not it counts. I loved the run, I think just before the ANAD reboot with the Russian mobsters and the crooked cirque du soleil.

I hadn't been thinking of mental disabilities when I posted but I remember Silk being mentioned recently and thinking it sounded interesting.
What is the Venom run I'd be looking for?
Also I've only been really back into comics for a few years so I'm still mainly looking at superhero stories but I have been branching out into other genres.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 28, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anime_Otaku posted:

Even deaf people would debate among themselves weather or not it counts. I loved the run, I think just before the ANAD reboot with the Russian mobsters and the crooked cirque du soleil.

I hadn't been thinking of mental disabilities when I posted but I remember Silk being mentioned recently and thinking it sounded interesting.
Also I've only been really back into comics for a few years so I'm still mainly looking at superhero stories but I have been branching out into other genres.

You might dig It's a Bird. It's a comic book writer trying to think about how to write a Superman story when he doesn't really care much about the character while also dealing with the fact that since his mother died of Huntingtons he's got a 50/50 chance of having it himself.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Anime_Otaku posted:

All issues of Venom are from Venom volume 2, with Rick Remender as writer.

Amazing Spider-Man 574
ASM 654-654.1
Venom 1-5
Spider-Island arguably (you don't have to read Spider-Island, but Venom plays a fairly significant portion in it and issues 6-8 are all Spider-Island tie-ins)
Venom 9-12, 13.1-13.4
Venom 14
Venom 15*
*Okay, this is the issue where Venom joins the Secret Avengers. SA barely ever ties in with Venom, but if you want you can read 2012 era Secret Avengers for more Flash Thompson Venom. I didn't read it when I did my Flash Thompson Venom readthrough, for what it's worth, but it's good to note.
**Around now is when Scarlet Spider, the solo series by Chris Yost, starts. It's an absolutely excellent series that you should read, but more importantly it and Venom has a fairly significant crossover in the future, so if you want you can start reading Scarlet Spider concurrently to Venom. I would highly recommend it, it's very very very good.
Venom 16-25
Minimum Carnage (the crossover with Scarlet Spider I was talking about, covers Scarlet Spider 10-12 and Venom 26-27)
Venom 27.1-42

This is the end of Remender Venom, the much-beloved run of the Flash Thompson Venom character. Flash Thompson Venom continues on in two different ongoings: Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy run (which is very fun, but not, as unbelievably good as the Venom solo) and Venom Space Knight (which I've never read, and have heard mixed at best things about. I'd recommend reading Bendis' Guardians run because it's pretty good, but it's definitely not like necessary.

Anime_Otaku posted:

It's in my opinion the single best female-led comic that Marvel's putting out right now, if you're looking for heroes suffering through disabilities that's all Silk is about without feeling pander-y or like a Very Special Episode or a giant loving bummer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Flash Thompson Venom is also on the Thunderbolts team with Red Hulk, Punisher, Deadpool and Elektra for most of that series.

Edit, you can probably file that under nonessential, there's only one issue that sorta delves into his character and it's the last issue he appears in (I think he left to go be in Guardians, but I'm not sure about the timing.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 28, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Anime_Otaku posted:

Torque from Harbinger has atrophied or otherwise weak legs, but can essentially hulk out. His heart's in the right place for superheroics, but he has a blind spot about his disability the size of the chip on his shoulder.

A couple members of H.A.R.D. Corps (found in Bloodshot volumes 4+5) have disabilities, including Flatline (who has cystic fibrosis and wears an oxygen mask everywhere) and Genius (who is developmentally disabled but accepted brain implants to boost his intellect).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

The whole Oracle thing really pisses me off. I read the first TPB of the Stewart/Tarr run of Batgirl, and it was obviously good, just not for me. I really liked Oracle as a badass hacker and researcher for the entire superhero community.

There's an indie comic called Silver Scorpion, about a hero who uses a wheelchair. I remember it debuted with a special Free Comic Book Day issue a few years back, but I never found that one:
https://liquidcomics.com/portfolio/silver-scorpion/
https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Scorpion-Comic-Special-Issue-ebook/dp/B00R14033W

Someone else mentioned Silhouette from Marvel's New Warriors (back in the early '90s), who used crutches but still had some acrobatic and fighting abilities.

This subject is close to my heart. My wife teaches college courses on Critical Disability Studies and also Media and Diversity, and I got her to use Hawkeye #19 (the American sign language issue) as an example of disability portrayed in comic books. She isn't into comics at all, but she was really impressed by the storytelling in the issue, and her students really got into it, knowing Hawkeye from the Avengers movie. I drove all over town buying every copy I could, so she would have a class set to pass out. She also cites Daredevil, Professor X, and Oracle (and briefly discusses the problematic issue of DC making her able-bodied again).

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

X-O posted:

I think I've finally given up on any Warren Ellis comics until they are completed for the same reason. Which means I may never read another new Warren Ellis comic in my lifetime.

I know that this is a really old comment, but before I ask for recommendations, I just have to comment on this.

The last time I read comics was a decade ago and Warren Ellis was one of my favorites, and sometime around 2006, I swore off reading anything of his until it was done for this exact same reason. It's nice to know that some things never change. With that out of the way, I'm hoping that you all can give me some recommendations.

I haven't read superhero comics since I was a kid, and even then it was what issues I could borrow from friends, and not something to which I ever had a subscription. I've been watching a lot of what Marvel is putting out both in movies and on TV/Netflix, and I'm getting an itch to try them. In particular, I've really been enjoying Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and enjoyed Jessica Jones.

However, I'd like to narrow down my recommendations by saying that I want stories that are character driven and have a defined beginning, middle, and end to the story. Ideally, it'd be contained in graphic novels, collections, or an omnibus that pulls together everything and is a self-contained read. I really dislike reading (or watching) stories in installments where I need to wait for the next installment to come out, so whatever is recommended will need to be completed and not ongoing.

I'd prefer to avoid comics about characters that have a long and established history (even if the take on the character is interesting), and while I don't necessarily care if the characters in what is recommended appear elsewhere after the recommended section is over, if what happened in the recommendation was retconned away, that'd take away pretty much any emotional punch that the recommendation might have. I'm fine with a redefinition of an existing character, but it'd have to be such a departure that it may as well be a new character, think Neil Gaiman's take on Sandman for the kind of departure it would need to be.

In the past, I've enjoyed Sandman, The Watchmen, Starman, Miracleman, Grant Morrison's We3, Seaguy, The Filth, Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan, Planetary, Global Frequency. However, I'm looking for stuff that's more overtly superhero.

This has already gotten longer than I expected, so I'll cut it off there. Any thoughts on what I should try?

Azathoth fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 30, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Azathoth posted:

This has already gotten longer than I expected, so I'll cut it off there. Any thoughts on what I should try?
Fraction's Hawkeye.

It's street-level superheroics with two well-written leads, has fantastic art, and is contained in 4 trades / 2 OSHCs or one Omnibus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you enjoyed Jessica Jones, you should definitely read Alias, which it was based on. It's collected in two or three trade paperbacks or a single hardcover that just got reissued, I believe.

EDIT: Your options are four trades, two Ultimate Collections, or one Omnibus that may or may not be in print. The trades are called "Jessica Jones: Alias" to tie in with the show.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 30, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

* All of BKV's Runaways
* NextWave
* Alias as has been aforementioned, but also The Pulse
* Avengers Academy
* Both volumes of Young Avengers (skip Children's Crusade)
* Soule's She-Hulk run

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Kieron Gillen's Kid Loki run could work. It's collected in two volumes (Journey into Mystery complete collection).

Loki is obviously a pretty established character, but the background of the story is that the old super villain Loki, who never really had a ton of characterization besides being jealous of his brother and being generically evil, has died. Well, there was a huge assault on Asgard and during it, Loki turns on his allies and sacrifices his life to save the heroes (and his brother, Thor).

But he made some powerful mystical arrangements and deals beforehand, and instead of disappearing or going to the afterlife, he is reborn as a child. And everyone is hoping that this will be a real second chance, Loki included.

The whole story is very tightly plotted, with everything that happens coming up again later and kinda converging on this excellent, and extremely definite ending.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Azathoth posted:

I know that this is a really old comment, but before I ask for recommendations, I just have to comment on this.

The last time I read comics was a decade ago and Warren Ellis was one of my favorites, and sometime around 2006, I swore off reading anything of his until it was done for this exact same reason. It's nice to know that some things never change. With that out of the way, I'm hoping that you all can give me some recommendations.

I haven't read superhero comics since I was a kid, and even then it was what issues I could borrow from friends, and not something to which I ever had a subscription. I've been watching a lot of what Marvel is putting out both in movies and on TV/Netflix, and I'm getting an itch to try them. In particular, I've really been enjoying Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and enjoyed Jessica Jones.

However, I'd like to narrow down my recommendations by saying that I want stories that are character driven and have a defined beginning, middle, and end to the story. Ideally, it'd be contained in graphic novels, collections, or an omnibus that pulls together everything and is a self-contained read. I really dislike reading (or watching) stories in installments where I need to wait for the next installment to come out, so whatever is recommended will need to be completed and not ongoing.

I'd prefer to avoid comics about characters that have a long and established history (even if the take on the character is interesting), and while I don't necessarily care if the characters in what is recommended appear elsewhere after the recommended section is over, if what happened in the recommendation was retconned away, that'd take away pretty much any emotional punch that the recommendation might have. I'm fine with a redefinition of an existing character, but it'd have to be such a departure that it may as well be a new character, think Neil Gaiman's take on Sandman for the kind of departure it would need to be.

In the past, I've enjoyed Sandman, The Watchmen, Starman, Miracleman, Grant Morrison's We3, Seaguy, The Filth, Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan, Planetary, Global Frequency. However, I'm looking for stuff that's more overtly superhero.

If you liked the Jessica Jones TV show you absolutely need to read her comic. As originally published it was just called Alias, now (for obvious reasons) it's reprinted under the title Jessica Jones: Alias here's the first volume
https://www.amazon.com/Jessica-Jones-Alias-Vol-AKA/dp/0785198555/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475256632&sr=8-1&keywords=jessica+jones
All my other recommendations are defining runs of long established characters, which you said you didn't want. Maybe Kid Loki is enough of a departure from Loki to not disqualify it?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
In addition to those excellent recommendations (I'll second Alias, Hawkeye, and Soule's She-Hulk), read Jonathan Hickman's Secret Warriors, which is a major influence on Agents of SHIELD. It's collected in two thick Ultimate Collection TPBs, or one Omnibus.

If you were a fan of The Tick back in the day or the new Tick pilot on Amazon that just got picked up to go to series, get The Tick: The Complete Edlund TPB. It's the original 12 issues by the Tick's creator, Ben Edlund, and probably the best the character has ever been in comics. Edlund has gone on to write for TV, including Angel, Firefly, Supernatural, and The Venture Bros., and that original run of comics is a hilarious classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Azathoth posted:

If you want to get into superhero comics you're simply going to have to get over this eventually. It's kind of weird that you want relatively self-contained, complete stories (this is good), but also need them to have them validated by the ongoing canon of middling titles that you wouldn't want to read anyways.

Retcons, the grand narrative of the ~shared universe~, none of that poo poo is real. Good stories are good stories. Grant Morrison's Animal Man will always be the Animal Man, it really doesn't matter if Jeff Lemire put out a mediocre book with the same name 20 years later. It's like how everyone will continue to reference Miller's Batman: Year One and not that dopey Zero Year poo poo that's technically canon (or isn't, post-Rebirth?? I dunno, comics). Terminator 2 isn't ruined by all those terrible sequels that never happened, and good comics aren't ruined because someone let Brian Michael Bendis write the next chapter.