Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

head58 posted:

Are there any espionage-themed fiction podcasts out there, preferably closer to a LeCarre than a Clancy?

Ars Paradoxica is sci-fi espionage. Sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

Ars Paradoxica is sci-fi espionage. Sort of.

Only season 2 really which is a mess I think.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Magnus Archive has hooked me unlike any podcast since Limetown.

And, naturally, the season is almost over :smith:.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Just started Wolf 359, and I like it. The voice acting is good, the narrative stays tight, and doesn't have its head up it's own rear end, unlike Pacific Northwest *anything*.

I'm 8 episodes in, but it seems each episode is a bottle episode; is there any overarching narrative that emerges, or does it stay a wacky slice-of-life style with occasional back references? No spoilers, please.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Just started Wolf 359, and I like it. The voice acting is good, the narrative stays tight, and doesn't have its head up it's own rear end, unlike Pacific Northwest *anything*.

I'm 8 episodes in, but it seems each episode is a bottle episode; is there any overarching narrative that emerges, or does it stay a wacky slice-of-life style with occasional back references? No spoilers, please.

An overarching narrative will emerge.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Snuffman posted:

An overarching narrative will emerge.

Specifically the end of season 1 is the big narrative bump.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Wake_N_Bake posted:

In episode eleven, the mood starts to get darker, and in episode twelve and thirteen a plot emerges.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Anyone have any recommendations of decent podcasts that don't have any supernatural or scifi themes?

Also, just listened to the first episode of season two of A New Winter, boy can that whole podasct get a bit silly

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Anyone have any recommendations of decent podcasts that don't have any supernatural or scifi themes?

Also, just listened to the first episode of season two of A New Winter, boy can that whole podasct get a bit silly

Wooden Overcoats is a fun Brit-com podcast without any sci-fi stuff.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

You could try Greater Boston. There was a bit about discovering Atlantis, but it's very tangential.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Within the WIres is a dystopia without anything overtly sci-fi. On the order of 1984.

With a small spoiler Scotch fits as well.

Oddly enough though out of the 40 or so serialized fiction I listen to every other one is sci-fi or supernatural.

EDIT: in case any one is interested I grabbed the list of synced podcasts:

Podcasts
The Adventure Zone
Alice Isn't Dead
A New Winter
Archive 81
ars PARADOXICA
The Behemoth
The Black Tapes
The Bright Sessions
Brute Force
Bryar Lane
The Bunker
The Byron Chronicles –
Campaign Podcast
The Cleansed: A Post-Apocalyptic Saga
Cthulhu & Friends
Cthulhu & Friends Presents: Side Quests
The Deep Vault
Edict Zero - FIS
EOS 10, a scifi radio play
Escape Pod
Friends at the Table
GeeklyInc: Random Encounters
Harmontown
Hello from the Magic Tavern
Imaginary Worlds
Kakos Industries
King Falls AM
The Leviathan Chronicles
Limetown
The Magnus Archives
MarsCorp
The Mask of Inanna
The Message
The NoSleep Podcast
One Shot
Our Fair City
PodCastle
Pseudopod
RB2 : Risky Business 2
Risky Business
Robot or Not?
Ruby: The Adventures of a Galactic Gumshoe
SABLE
SAYER
Scoop Hound
Scotch
strange N unusual Podcast
Synesthesia Theatre
TANIS
Thrilling Adventure Hour
Total Party Kill
The Truth
We're Alive - A "Zombie" Story of Survival
Welcome to Night Vale
Within the Wires
Wolf 359
Wormwood: A Serialized Mystery

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 4, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did The Byron Chronicles ever end? I used to listen to it but it felt like I only got one episode a year.

In other news I'm about to finish Magnus Archives today. I really like it but I want to know more about the setting.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Len posted:

Did The Byron Chronicles ever end? I used to listen to it but it felt like I only got one episode a year.

In other news I'm about to finish Magnus Archives today. I really like it but I want to know more about the setting.

Haven't gotten to it yet. I keep adding them since I have a long commute each day.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
"I noticed something around his neck, a kind of...necklace."

:ughh:

DeusExMchna
Nov 9, 2013

2 thicc 2 exist
Lipstick Apathy
The Magnus Archives is loving amazing. The depth of knowledge and research each episode must have in order for the statements to seem plausible is admirable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I have a question for those of you who do podcasts. I don't have a frame of reference for how much a podcast costs to make so when they talk about how much they cost to make it's just kind of meaningless words. About how much does it cost to make a podcast?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

I have a question for those of you who do podcasts. I don't have a frame of reference for how much a podcast costs to make so when they talk about how much they cost to make it's just kind of meaningless words. About how much does it cost to make a podcast?

I think it's more the time involved? Like a dude and they're friends spend a shitton of time writing everything out. The equipment, the really nice equipment can cost a few thousand dollars, there are cheaper alternatives though, and a lot of people seem to be able to work around it. If they book a professional studio, (so a guy does audio editting and everything,) They get charged anywhere between 50 and 500 $ an hour. Which is also crazy.

They're not cheap, unless you don't care about audio quality, then you just drop 100$ on a yeti, and another 50$ on sound proofing a closet and record there.

Did anyone listen to the Magnus Archives episode this week? It was amazing. And they got some legit laughs out of me too.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Did anyone listen to the Magnus Archives episode this week? It was amazing. And they got some legit laughs out of me too.
A ghost! Really?!

The season finale airs today. I'm guessing that spider-person Michael comes and helps them against worm-person Jane Prentis.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Slamhound posted:

A ghost! Really?!

The season finale airs today. I'm guessing that spider-person Michael comes and helps them against worm-person Jane Prentis.

Sad day. Finale of marscorp this morning and Magnus archive this evening. And I'm almost caught up on our fair city

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anything good like Alba Salix Royal Physician?

It's a Fantasy Medical Show. It's rad as hell, but they only did one season in 2014, and I want something like it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

It's a Fantasy Medical Show. It's rad as hell, but they only did one season in 2014, and I want something like it.

Eos10 is Scrubs in space. Maybe similar enough!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Does Sable ever start to make sense? I finished the first season and the 3 part interlude, and I can't say I have any clear idea on what happened. I couldn't really understand even how many sides there were to the conflict. I couldn't tell if it was alternate dimension shenanigans, time traveling shenanigans, or just hallucinations...

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Synesthesia Theatre just launched its second season, a 9-part adaptation of the cyberpunk thriller Cold Reboot. This is an anthology series, so there's no connection to the first season's story, though we did end up casting a lot of the same actors again.

If you missed it earlier, here's the trailer.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

psychopomp posted:

Synesthesia Theatre just launched its second season, a 9-part adaptation of the cyberpunk thriller Cold Reboot. This is an anthology series, so there's no connection to the first season's story, though we did end up casting a lot of the same actors again.

If you missed it earlier, here's the trailer.

I'm liking the book so far, so awesome news! I'm excited for this series.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

Hughlander posted:

Does Sable ever start to make sense? I finished the first season and the 3 part interlude, and I can't say I have any clear idea on what happened. I couldn't really understand even how many sides there were to the conflict. I couldn't tell if it was alternate dimension shenanigans, time traveling shenanigans, or just hallucinations...

Good question. I heard most of the first season, and the interlude teaser didn't really appeal, so I dropped it. I think there were dimensional shenanigans and maybe some possession in one or two of the story threads. I didn't really expect it to gel into anything cohesive by the end.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

sithwitch13 posted:

If I can self-promote, Strange N Unusual. I've been voice acting here for a while and just joined the writing team. The flagship story, Friend of the Family, is a horror-comedy about monster hunting, family, and hating your coworker. There's also the Dark Files, a Twilight Zone-esque series of stand alone episodes we do once a month, and Letters to Asmodeus, an advice segment featuring a character from Friend of the Family.

We're in our second season and having a lot of fun.

Necro-posting on this... Which character(s) do you voice?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Big Data? A funny cyberthriller with premise that would be ridiculous if it weren't sort of plausible. The first episode has some faults they fix subsequently.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo.

The sound design of Edict Zero - FIS is loving phenomenal.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

Hughlander posted:

Eos10 is Scrubs in space. Maybe similar enough!

I've recently started listening to podcasts and this thread has been fantastic - I've enjoyed Tanis (well, season 1) loved The Bright Sessions, Wolf 359, Ars Paradoxica...but EOS10 is blowing them all out of the water for sheer wonderful silliness.

I did want to ask what people's favourite podcast apps are though - I've tried Stitcher (ok but not great) BeyondPod (which I disliked and my phone hated) and have settled, for now, on Antenna Pod (it's the cleanest, easiest to use podcast app that I've found so far, at least of the free ones.)

If anyone has any more silly sci-fi recommendations, please share - I've gone through the OP (except The Message, I just...couldn't get into it) and am all caught up on the ones I like...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kluliss posted:

I've recently started listening to podcasts and this thread has been fantastic - I've enjoyed Tanis (well, season 1) loved The Bright Sessions, Wolf 359, Ars Paradoxica...but EOS10 is blowing them all out of the water for sheer wonderful silliness.

I did want to ask what people's favourite podcast apps are though - I've tried Stitcher (ok but not great) BeyondPod (which I disliked and my phone hated) and have settled, for now, on Antenna Pod (it's the cleanest, easiest to use podcast app that I've found so far, at least of the free ones.)

If anyone has any more silly sci-fi recommendations, please share - I've gone through the OP (except The Message, I just...couldn't get into it) and am all caught up on the ones I like...

I use Overcast and listed the podcasts I listen to up thread a bit. For Silly Sci-Fi though, add Mars Corp, Our Fair City, Thrilling Adventure Hour (Sparks Nevada Marshal on Mars for Sci-Fi, but Beyond Belief is the best.)

I hear Big Data is good but haven't started it yet.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I use PocketCasts for my podcasting. It's pretty nice, but I've never really used it else. It's pretty customizable, at least.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
My only complaint about Pocketcasts is the PC version is web-based and doesn't have automated downloads. I use it on the phone though.

Grover Podcast for the PC. I just have to sync stuff mentally.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Just started listening to this. It's a lot of fun.

I use for Pocketcasts which I like a lot.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I use Podcast Addict on Android. Frequent updates, easy file management within the app, good playback options.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nothing about the Magnus Archives finale? Specifically the bit at the end with the missing tapes and having Not Sascha named in the credits. Apparently the only tapes that were stolen were the ones where she talks.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Started listening to The Black Tapes today. :aaaaa: This is loving amazing. If I had a computer at home or a smartphone I would loving listen to this all the way through. I'm at work so I get irritated every time the phone rings because I don't want to stop!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Len posted:

Nothing about the Magnus Archives finale? Specifically the bit at the end with the missing tapes and having Not Sascha named in the credits. Apparently the only tapes that were stolen were the ones where she talks.
One of the tapes, A Distortion, is where she meets Michael, the enemy of the worms. So is it his people who stole the tapes or someone looking for information about them?

I also liked Gertrude's unsettlingly conventional demise.

Two more I've gone through:

The Infinite Now - This is kind of a Night Vale ripoff, it goes for the humorous metaphysical. It's uneven and the episodes vary in length from 2 to 20 minutes, but I enjoy it for what it is.

Bootlegger - Bootlegger is a radio drama using the events of World War II as if they occur in the near future with an artificial intelligence as the aggressor. Each week a ham radio operator gives an update to the events surrounding him.

Unfortunately, the podcast has been discontinued without resolution; it looks like they didn't have enough of an audience to warrant the expense of making it.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

D34THROW posted:

Started listening to The Black Tapes today. :aaaaa: This is loving amazing. If I had a computer at home or a smartphone I would loving listen to this all the way through. I'm at work so I get irritated every time the phone rings because I don't want to stop!

Enjoy it while it lasts. I mean that sincerely.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I've been listening to The Black Tapes lately - just started season 2 a couple days ago. It's good, but not great IMO. The overall storyline's interesting, but I agree with most of the criticisms I'm reading here. Some of the acting is just painfully bad. Plus the Canadian accents are a little too obvious, especially when it's supposed to be somebody from the southwest U.S. or whatever.

Also, I get the impression that they don't know very much about some of the deeper topics they address. Stuff like monasticism in Russia and Bulgaria, for example. There aren't too many Order of Saint Benedict monks there, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Majorian posted:

I've been listening to The Black Tapes lately - just started season 2 a couple days ago. It's good, but not great IMO. The overall storyline's interesting, but I agree with most of the criticisms I'm reading here. Some of the acting is just painfully bad. Plus the Canadian accents are a little too obvious, especially when it's supposed to be somebody from the southwest U.S. or whatever.

Also, I get the impression that they don't know very much about some of the deeper topics they address. Stuff like monasticism in Russia and Bulgaria, for example. There aren't too many Order of Saint Benedict monks there, folks.

If you like them, try Tanis instead. It's Nic narrating instead of Alex. There's an early interview that has some pretty cringeworthy acting, but I think overall it's a superior show. I'm a recent adopter of both of them (started and finished Tanis before even touching The Black Tapes - and just finished that on the way to work this morning).

I'm downloading The Magnus Archives right now. I've been a long time Welcome to Night Vale listener, and my wife and I really enjoyed Alice Isn't Dead. Any other good recommendations in the "creepy podcast" genre along the same lines of all these?

• Locked thread