Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

ishikabibble posted:

iirc he was actually super depressed because being that tall gave him a poo poo ton of health complications and made living kinda painful for him. poor guy offed himself after his only irl friend (who was also a goon) moved away :(

SAclopedia people, check it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1705

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Oh no :(

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I'm not sure if could be classified as a "saga" though - does anyone remember the microwave cupcake thread where it turned into a rolling succession of "holy crap this is awesome" then like an hour later "oh god my stomach help" as people made, posted, ate, then later seriously regretted the abominations they'd made. It was from ... like five or more years ago so I suspect none of the images work any more, sadly.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
is the chickencheese thread archived? cause i found a buncha good recipes from there when it was goin on

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

DiggityDoink posted:

is the chickencheese thread archived? cause i found a buncha good recipes from there when it was goin on

No, it was goldmined. Link's in SAclopedia.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
When did everyone turn on 50 Foot Ant? I recall hearing that he was tolerated for the bullshit stories but they posted one that was wildly hosed up in some way and people just turned on him.

Also, was he the same guy who posted a million stories in some D&D stories thread and all of them were some variation of him and his wife owning some stereotypical neckbeard?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

When did everyone turn on 50 Foot Ant? I recall hearing that he was tolerated for the bullshit stories but they posted one that was wildly hosed up in some way and people just turned on him.

Also, was he the same guy who posted a million stories in some D&D stories thread and all of them were some variation of him and his wife owning some stereotypical neckbeard?

Was said neckbeard the owner or manager of a video game store? I seem to remember some stories involving sick ownage delivered onto the proprietor of a game store, which mostly served to underscore the awful sperginess of the person posting the story.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

OldTennisCourt posted:

When did everyone turn on 50 Foot Ant?

I personally always hated his stupid STDH stories. What I don't know is why goons ever tolerated him in the first place, especially when people were already making fun of posters like Angry Bee Dance during 50FA's popular streak.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Kelp Me! posted:

Was said neckbeard the owner or manager of a video game store? I seem to remember some stories involving sick ownage delivered onto the proprietor of a game store, which mostly served to underscore the awful sperginess of the person posting the story.

I think so? All I remember was it was the OP, his wife and his wife's ~super hot friend~ and they all hung out with the nerd and every single story had the nerd be humiliated in some way by the OP.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Kelp Me! posted:

He may have posted a similar story a few times. I remember the loser of the story (who was a customer rather than a manager) was openly insulting everyone from the moment he was introduced and being disgusting constantly in ways that nobody would ever tolerate for real, if you acted remotely like the guy in the story did you'd be banned from the store and probably get a black eye in two minutes flat.

I think the resolution was something like defeating him in a magic the gathering duel (where the loser had some deck of cards that were worth thousands) and then damaging/destroying his cards somehow, and then it was revealed that 50FA had basically looked the guy up online and found an image of the loser fapping while wearing a diaper, resulting in the loser running out crying and nobody ever heard from him again (you know because destroying someone's property and publically humiliating them wouldn't be heinously illegal or anything).

The worst thing about 50FA's stories is that he talks himself up so much and talks the loser of the story down so much that the net result reads something like Superman having a slapfight with Gollum.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

YeahTubaMike posted:

I personally always hated his stupid STDH stories. What I don't know is why goons ever tolerated him in the first place, especially when people were already making fun of posters like Angry Bee Dance during 50FA's popular streak.

Same

Nobody "turned" on any of those early 00s GBS subertards, I think just the GBS userland composition changed?

It's kinda funny to read about a badass idiot doing a badass idiot thing once, but not every day for 4 years.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I remember one of the stories had the dork get a pity gently caress from the super hot friend and it ended with something like "And she totally said he had a microdick and he smelled awful and he finished before she even got naked and he cried and farted and and and and"

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Same

Nobody "turned" on any of those early 00s GBS subertards, I think just the GBS userland composition changed?

It's kinda funny to read about a badass idiot doing a badass idiot thing once, but not every day for 4 years.

I'm probably mixing something up, but I'm almost certain I remember 50FT posting some story that was so awful (something to do with him being in Iraq or something?) and gruesome that everyone basically said "What the gently caress dude?" and even the people who tolerated his stories turned on him.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

He had a story his army medic wife told him about being in the Middle East and treating a little girl who was dying of a horrible infection and I think sexual abuse had been involved?

I liked some of his early ghost stories but towards the end they got really overdone and too caught up in the mythos he'd created

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

One of my favorite shitposting goons when I started here was Teapot, mainly because he changed his avatar every time he got a probation to match his rap sheet. This was his avatar before he got banned and then permabanned.

Those big red medals represented 30-day probations and the smaller blue ones represented his other probations. He was a Soviet apologist who really, really hated Windows and Microsoft, and his probations usually involved one of those two topics.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

vodkat posted:

Is this the origin of the cos-pop or was it around before that?

I remember Cozpop being around before the YOSPOS botnet saga. Keep in mind, this was several years before the Cosby assault stuff blew up in the media, so the whole point of Cozpop was to just be a dumb program that showed a picture of dorky old comedian Bill Cosby. The reason it was part of the botnet was because there reached a point where the goon(s) messing with it realized "holy crap, we have total control of these computers....what should we do now?" so of course the answer is to put a stupid in-joke app on them.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

get that OUT of my face posted:

One of my favorite shitposting goons when I started here was Teapot, mainly because he changed his avatar every time he got a probation to match his rap sheet. This was his avatar before he got banned and then permabanned.

Those big red medals represented 30-day probations and the smaller blue ones represented his other probations. He was a Soviet apologist who really, really hated Windows and Microsoft, and his probations usually involved one of those two topics.
teapot owned

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Everybody Likes Pizza

LF was an.....interesting forum. It eventually came to be inhabited mostly by the worst types of shitposters, but there were many months early in its existence that produced some genuinely funny and interesting threads. A lot of it came from goons doing babby's first undergraduate research project in the social sciences, and sharing the results of all the wacky poo poo they found, but the US election cycle of 2008 was pretty good, too.

The time eventually came during the Democrats' primary race for president where there were only two contenders left, Obama and Clinton. The slow and awkward death of Clinton's candidacy produced many laughs, mostly in reading the websites of weirdo Clinton supporters (side note: holy loving poo poo, hillaryis44 still exists and still hates Obama), but after Obama clinched it there was a lull in news, and of course goons just can't sit still.

So it came to pass that Obama was going to announce his running mate. His campaign set a date and a location, but nobody knew who it was going to be. Nobody, except one or two nerds who hung out on a message board that seems to attract people who often have an incredibly diverse set of very specialized skills. In this case, all that it took was one person who knew the ins and outs of the red tape in the American aviation industry.

How this apparently works is, many or most flight plans in the US are recorded in advance. This isn't just for big commercial planes that you take to go on vacation, either: smaller charter flights get their routes set up in advance, too. And as it happens, in 2008 a lot of these plans were available on the Internet, to anyone who knew where to look. So, of course, some goon knew where to look. They searched for chartered flights that were to land between now and the time Obama was going to make his announcement. They then narrowed this down by only searching for flights that would touch down at airports nearby the town Obama was doing this. Finally, they narrowed this down even further by turning on CNN, seeing the homes of which potential VP picks the media was camped out near, and searching for takeoff airports near these homes. And they found a hit, one flight that seemed to match all the criteria. So they picked up the phone and sent some congratulations.

Lutha Mahtin has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Oct 7, 2016

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
There was also a time period where LF would make these big effort post threads in GBS. As I recall there were on things like Private Prisons, Sexism, Racism and other issues. I remember specifically there was the GBS thread and the LF 'Game Day' thread that basically mocked the GBS posters in the thread.

Honestly I remember some of those effort threads being pretty good.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

coronatae posted:

He had a story his army medic wife told him about being in the Middle East and treating a little girl who was dying of a horrible infection and I think sexual abuse had been involved?

I liked some of his early ghost stories but towards the end they got really overdone and too caught up in the mythos he'd created

50FA would ruin absolutely every spooky story thread by posting boring, meandering, creative writing 101 garbage for thousands and thousands of words and any other story would be blown over by the 3 loving goons that actually liked the 50FA stories posting "WOW!!!!! Keep writing! Can't wait to see what happens!" 20 times each.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was never impressed by anything 50FA wrote. He was in the Two Worlds helldump thread (I think) giving Two Worlds poo poo in the vein of "You're not a writer, I am so I should know, and you're not!" Obviously Two Worlds was one of the most doomed goons to have ever existed but that entire exchange was just WOW.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

LF took a major turn for the worse after the 2008 election. A lot of lovely internet subcultures that are widespread today were prevalent there (users supporting the worst of communism while having an anime avatar, extrapolating pop culture to academic concepts, fetishizing nonwhite cultures to the point where they paid $2000 to a fat loser because he claimed to be Muslim). Also those GBS effort threads were made so they could laugh at the reactions in their Helldump-like thread making fun of them. Makes sense because that's where a lot of Helldump regulars migrated to.

Also I'm pretty sure that it was the forum that acted all creepy towards Kate Beeton and caused her to never return.
His only problem was that he was ahead of his time. I was reading the posts he got probated for yesterday and I was laughing about them.

get that OUT of my face has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Oct 7, 2016

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

LF took a major turn for the worse after the 2008 election. A lot of lovely internet subcultures that are widespread today were prevalent there (users supporting the worst of communism while having an anime avatar, extrapolating pop culture to academic concepts, fetishizing nonwhite cultures to the point where they paid $2000 to a fat loser because he claimed to be Muslim). Also those GBS effort threads were made so they could laugh at the reactions in their Helldump-like thread making fun of them. Makes sense because that's where a lot of Helldump regulars migrated to.

Also I'm pretty sure that it was the forum that acted all creepy towards Kate Beeton and caused her to never return.

I was reading the posts he got probated for yesterday and I was laughing about them.

The only goons who acted creepy to Kate Beaton were the ones who kept apologising to her for the other goons that caused her to leave, nevermind the fact that she just didn't find SA that interesting and stopped visiting of her own accord.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
When LF was good it was incredible, especially around elections, but other times as well.

Reader's Digest: Humor in Uniform
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2926040

Hitler Auditions
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3180161&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

^ front page version: http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/hitler-auditions/1/

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lf lost its reason for existing when the 2008 election ended

bring back helldump tho

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

TenementFunster posted:

lf lost its reason for existing when the 2008 election ended

bring back helldump tho

Helldump was amazing when it was good but it devolved into a lovely circlejerk almost immediately. Part of me wishes it came back but I really don't see how it could work anymore. Maybe if only mods were allowed to make threads or something? But either way it's pretty clearly not the direction the site seems to want to take.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

YeahTubaMike posted:

Initially it wasn't bad - he kept them at a decent length and they didn't clog up the paranormal/weird threads. Once he noticed other goons drooling over his goofy little tales, he went off the deep end and started including other non-paranormal stuff that didn't fit the themes of the threads and were clearly over-exaggerated, and people got sick of it pretty fast. Dude needed to take a page from Canis Latrans or Onic, those guys can tell some pretty great stories, real or not.

Also ZM was a pretty cool dude while he was here, didn't know him personally but still sucks when a fellow goon passes, regardless of how. Still get a kick out of that story about the jerk customer that he made piss himself, it never gets old.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 02:54 on Nov 11, 2016

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

food court bailiff posted:

Helldump was amazing when it was good but it devolved into a lovely circlejerk almost immediately. Part of me wishes it came back but I really don't see how it could work anymore. Maybe if only mods were allowed to make threads or something? But either way it's pretty clearly not the direction the site seems to want to take.
i'm gonna post a thread about you, fuckboy

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

when they bring back helldump, the first people on the chopping block should be everyone who clamored for Helldump to reopen

wait poo poo

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Babe Magnet posted:

when they bring back helldump, the first people on the chopping block should be everyone who clamored for Helldump to reopen

wait poo poo
my posting is unassailable and righteous

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Five Apples posted:

Finally bought archives thanks to this trip down memory lane. I'm checking out the Phenazepam thread, and the third post is by a perma-banned user expressing shock at the drug's potency. Ban reason? "Deceased." Offending post links to halfway through the thread where this guy lays out his plans for buying a kilo of the stuff.

:10bux: well spent.

I love that poo poo like this still keeps happening, mainly in the benzo thread and most others like it. I swear it's a whole pattern of idiot overdoses > people mourn > others espouse the dangers of [drugs] > more idiots get high to "celebrate" the life of the deceased > more goons end up dead > repeat cycle. Granted it may not actually be that way but even just skimming those threads is like watching a retarded toddler repeatedly touching a hot stove and wondering why their hands always hurt.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

food court bailiff posted:

I was going to suggest earlier that if it reopens, usernames/avatars/signatures get stripped off posts so you have no identity in there and thus can't form cliques
But then I realized that's literally just 4chan so uh :suicide:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

when you post in helldump it gives you someone else's avatar and name

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I Said No posted:

I was going to suggest earlier that if it reopens, usernames/avatars/signatures get stripped off posts so you have no identity in there and thus can't form cliques
But then I realized that's literally just 4chan so uh :suicide:

4chan got bought by Martin Schkreli so we do need a replacement.

Well, not need, but you know

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

This would be funny.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Scudworth posted:

When LF was good it was incredible, especially around elections, but other times as well.

Reader's Digest: Humor in Uniform
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2926040

Hitler Auditions
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3180161&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

^ front page version: http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/hitler-auditions/1/

gently caress, hitler auditions had me pissing myself back in the day. I'd totally forgotten about that but definitely one of the greats.

edit: oh gently caress I forgot about this line

quote:

there's no business like shoah business

NLJP has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Oct 11, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

it trades names with you and the goon you're helldumping, preferably

Connormgs
Sep 27, 2014

School Nickname posted:

'da joose' ambulance expedition is loving legendary and I hope it's made into a foreign-language black comedy film one day, with an Elton John cameo of course.

Can't find the thread, got a link?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Connormgs posted:

Can't find the thread, got a link?

You quoted a post that was quoting a post that had the link to the thread.

Von Sloneker posted:

here's the link to the immortal DA JOOSE phenazepam thread; it will always be my favorite thing:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3204587

at the very least, read Underflow's long posts, they're insane stories about some insaner eastern european ambulance drivers making the rounds while amply fried on benzos. the stories start on pg 26

in a subsequent thread he made a request that those stories never appear outside of the original, so don't c/p them here

Connormgs
Sep 27, 2014

Scudworth posted:

You quoted a post that was quoting a post that had the link to the thread.

drat I'll pay better attention next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
There's an E/N classic brewing.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760159&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Back in January this guy posted about his girlfriend who had a mania for doing the marriage and kids thing before she hit 30, the wedding was being planned and he was having doubts. Advice was given, thread went quiet. ..until yesterday when the OP returned with an update, 3 days before the wedding ......it's a doozy.

Rondette has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Oct 13, 2016