Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
loving aribnb, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Leviathan Song posted:

That's what I'm going to do. Thanks for the outside perspective that this is a hotel. If the zoning is turned down, I'll just make a bit less money renting it out as a year long lease rental property.

I represent a number of cities, and I can tell you that whatever route you go, getting clearance from the City, either via a permit or written confirmation that you don't need a permit, is the only way to ensure they won't come back later and gently caress with you.

Your interpretation of the statute or ordinance is fine and good, but if they don't agree with your interpretation, they're probably going to win that argument.

Your land is encumbered by two sets of laws: State law, and City Ordinance. You will have to be in compliance with both to avoid hassle. If this is a mulit-thousand dollar endeavor, and you have potential exposure, consulting with a local attorney is probably your best bet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question about drafting: when drafting a commercial contract, where should the duration of the contract be mentioned? For instance, if a contract is a supply agreement intended to last for three years, where should that be mentioned? On the front cover, in the commencement, in the operative provisions, or all of the above?

Thanks.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
It...shouldn't matter as long as the term is clearly stated?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Question about drafting: when drafting a commercial contract, where should the duration of the contract be mentioned? For instance, if a contract is a supply agreement intended to last for three years, where should that be mentioned? On the front cover, in the commencement, in the operative provisions, or all of the above?

Thanks.

Wherever your lawyer normally places it.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Wheat Loaf posted:

Thanks.

Where are you

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

loving aribnb, man.

The funny thing is that airbnb is actually a completely boring old idea. Short term rentals have been a ubiquitous thing at popular vacation areas for a long time. Every Jersey shore town had local papers with the exact same listings when I was a kid. Most cities are just freaking out because it's trendy now, not because it's actually a new way of renting property.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Thanks.

There's a field for that in the template the legal department prepared for this express purpose.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Leviathan Song posted:

The funny thing is that airbnb is actually a completely boring old idea. Short term rentals have been a ubiquitous thing at popular vacation areas for a long time. Every Jersey shore town had local papers with the exact same listings when I was a kid. Most cities are just freaking out because it's trendy now, not because it's actually a new way of renting property.

It's partly a scale problem. airbnb is taking an illegal practice that was generally overlooked, centralizing, organizing, and (failing to) profit from it as the number of people who do it increase.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The idea that the city is going to let you refine your house in a residential neighborhood into a hotel is lol.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Discendo Vox posted:

It's partly a scale problem. airbnb is taking an illegal practice that was generally overlooked, centralizing, organizing, and (failing to) profit from it as the number of people who do it increase.

Goddammit, I posted this almost verbatium in the startups thread and a bunch of people (maybe you too, I don't recall) jumped down my throat. D&D man.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

nm posted:

Goddammit, I posted this almost verbatium in the startups thread and a bunch of people (maybe you too, I don't recall) jumped down my throat. D&D man.

:hf:

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The idea that the city is going to let you refine your house in a residential neighborhood into a hotel is lol.

It wouldn't work in a lot of cities but Oklahoma City plays pretty is pretty reasonable in this regard. It's not a pure R1 neighborhood, it's a mix of apartments, houses, and businesses and zoning changes are very common here. If they're willing to redefine a single family house into an 8 unit apartment building, which they've done recently, it's not unreasonable. It's also not an overly risky proposition. The process to request the change is $1800 and the potential income gain is much larger. If you can't afford to risk $1800 to increase the value of the property, then you shouldn't be any kind of landlord.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

xxEightxx posted:

Where are you

UK.

I'm actually asking because I'm doing Drafting on the LPC and realised the module handbook doesn't actually say anything about this. :blush:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

UK.

I'm actually asking because I'm doing Drafting on the LPC and realised the module handbook doesn't actually say anything about this. :blush:

I would say that you'd include it in your introductory paragraph "This is a contract for x to run from y to z" and then it should be an explicit term in the single digits.

e: the key thing is to make absolutely sure you don't contradict yourself anywhere because that will incur serious negative marks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I wonder how _areaman's money laundering is going.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Is there a way to report someone who has a concealed carry permit but shouldn't? My neighbor was bragging about his concealed carry permit which I suspect he should not have because he was involuntary committed (as a minor). He is also bipolar and possibly schizophrenic since he sometimes yells at his chimney as if it was talking to him. He acknowledges his mental illness and is very upfront about not being on any medication since "doctors are money-grubbing quacks." It's okay though, because prayer and herbs keep it under control. Frankly, he seems like he shouldn't be allowed to have weapons at all, but I think I can only have the permit investigated since he is not an immediate threat to himself or others.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Brennanite posted:

Is there a way to report someone who has a concealed carry permit but shouldn't? My neighbor was bragging about his concealed carry permit which I suspect he should not have because he was involuntary committed (as a minor). He is also bipolar and possibly schizophrenic since he sometimes yells at his chimney as if it was talking to him. He acknowledges his mental illness and is very upfront about not being on any medication since "doctors are money-grubbing quacks." It's okay though, because prayer and herbs keep it under control. Frankly, he seems like he shouldn't be allowed to have weapons at all, but I think I can only have the permit investigated since he is not an immediate threat to himself or others.

Snitches get stitches

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Call the Police, get you cell phone out and start recording, start a new movement #NotAllChimneys.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Snitches get stitches

Here in the 'burbs, it's see something, say something.

blarzgh posted:

Call the Police, get you cell phone out and start recording, start a new movement #NotAllChimneys.

Would they actually do anything? My understanding is that the police will only get involved in there is an immediate threat to someone and chimneys aren't people.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Brennanite posted:

chimneys aren't people.

Might be able to get one up to corporate personhood, at least?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Brennanite posted:

Is there a way to report someone who has a concealed carry permit but shouldn't? [...] Frankly, he seems like he shouldn't be allowed to have weapons at all, but I think I can only have the permit investigated since he is not an immediate threat to himself or others.
Your state may have laws specifically forbidding the mentally ill from owning firearms.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Dear Legal Questions Mega-O-Wamma:

How can my chimney get incorporated? TIA

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

NancyPants posted:

Dear Legal Questions Mega-O-Wamma:

How can my chimney get incorporated? TIA

Add a gold fringe to your chimney.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Free chimney on the land

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I am not a chimney lawyer, but

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Brennanite posted:

and chimneys aren't people.

look, its 2016, and this is V. problematic of you.

(p.s. don't call the cops on the instruction of my joke post)

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

Your state may have laws specifically forbidding the mentally ill from owning firearms.

I have a friend with mental illness that owns guns and was suicidal over the weekend. If the listed statues for my state apply and he's not allowed to own a gun, how can I help get his guns taken away without getting him locked up or getting myself shot by him?

If the answer is "you can't", welp.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've always felt like that's a huge need that's gone unfilled.

Maybe you could talk him into getting some tamper seal tape, taping all his guns up and leaving them with a trusted friend or family member for a while.

Worst case, maybe you can put the Suicide Hotline number on some index cards and talk him into keeping one of those index cards stored with every gun.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

Good hell, Texas has more restrictive laws on this than my state. It looks like in my state, he's perfectly within his rights to possess guns, but not concealed carry.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Brennanite posted:

Good hell, Texas has more restrictive laws on this than my state. It looks like in my state, he's perfectly within his rights to possess guns, but not concealed carry.

Federal law regarding prohibited possessors (18 USC 922) provides a minimum 'floor' (and the minimum level of due process) for disenfranchisement, notwithstanding a state's rules.

I can't tell whether an involuntary commitment as a juvenile counts. It will probably hinge on the level of due process and psych expert input at the time.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Good evening lawyers,

I just got laid off from a job I've held for 3 years with glowing reviews from management and peers. The claim was "financial reasons," but I was the least paid and had a high bill rate and bill percentage compared with some of the old-timers (this was consulting work, but not law). Here's the thing: I have a chronic illness and just submitted FMLA paperwork to CMA for some missed days and was going in today to talk about short-term disability leave when instead I was laid off. Does this sound like a situation for recourse? Because I sure feel hosed, and not in a good way.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Sounds fishy enough to talk to a lawyer. A free consult couldn't hurt. Don't get your hopes up, though, and make sure you have a clear idea of your objectives, and what you're willing to invest in this process if they determine you have a claim.

A consult is confidential and free, so you have nothing to lose but your time.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Seems pretty fishy, just hope the people you worked for are actually that dumb

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What they said. Worth talking to a plaintiff side employment lawyer, but keep hopes in check, because if it's actually financial, then well, sorry.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What they said. Worth talking to a plaintiff side employment lawyer, but keep hopes in check, because if it's actually financial, then well, sorry.

Or if there's no way to prove it wasn't financial.

skeptic22
Aug 13, 2004
Immaculate
Nevermind, question resolved.

skeptic22 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 29, 2016

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

We did it!

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013
Any Business Lawyer goons willing to speak briefly about retaining their services for the purposes of having them help form a new business Operating Agreement? If so please list contact information. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

TheEffect posted:

Any Business Lawyer goons willing to speak briefly about retaining their services for the purposes of having them help form a new business Operating Agreement? If so please list contact information. Thanks in advance.

- signed, Vincent Adultman

(If you want anything resembling actual help, maybe list type of business, state, etc...I doubt most attorneys use this board to trawl for business.)