Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grapplejack posted:

29 ... Then Sully got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Nathan. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Nate, save me!”

31 Immediately Nathan reached out his hand and caught him. “Aw,” he said, “Kitty got wet?”

Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your publication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Lo, said our lord and savior Nathan Drake, turn the other cheek so I can better snap your neck.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And on the third scripted fall, the Neck-Snapper said "OHOHOO CRAP", and it was good.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Today's new History Honeys covers, among other things, two pirates that will never rate inclusion in an Uncharted game: http://historyhoneys.podbean.com/e/great-lakes-oddities/
However, one of them was part of a Warehousee 13 episode, so that's something.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Let's learn about how frogs are secretly turtles. Also our next podcast is live! This time we're talking about Platinum Games, maps, and doing LPs of sequels!

Episode 8: Porch Light.....Cut Commentary.....Baldurdash
Chipod Ironicast #19: Platinum.....Libsyn.....Download

Chip Cheezum fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 30, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MONK HOOOUSE!

(I think you meant "Porch Light" there, Chip ;))

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Paging Geop about scottish hexagon rocks

edit: Yes, 'kak' is south-african slang. It means poo poo

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 30, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CJacobs posted:

I haven't seen the video yet (and I'm headed out the door to leave town for the high holidays so I won't see it for a while) but I assume hexagon rocks means basalt cliffs. Actual thing, and I believe Scotland has a lot of it.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Having just beaten The Last of Us, I'd like to comment that Naughty Dog seems to have a thing for putting the brother of the protagonist in a wool-lined denim jacket. Probably a coincidence, but I felt it'd be interesting to point out regardless.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Columnar basalt, yeah. It's just a way that lava cools. Lava cooling rapidly causes stress fractures in the basalt as it shrinks into solid form, usually causing a hexagonal column of rock.

Basically anywhere that's had a volcano with liquid basalt has these columns. Ireland famously has the Giant's Causeway, Turkey's got some rad basalt cliffs, they're basically on every continent.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So, when's that Condemned 2 LP coming? :cheeky:

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 30, 2016

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
"Kak" or "Kaka" is Dutch (which is how it ended up in South-African) slang/child speak for poo poo. Comes from Latin (and probably before that). Cacare means to defecate.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
RE: "Why is it slimy?"

I'm going to go with because it's old, and this place is clearly gets pretty wet.

Also, what does it say about me that I thought "yeah, pirate code" right before Nathan made that joke?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Apep727 posted:

Also, what does it say about me that I thought "yeah, pirate code" right before Nathan made that joke?

It means you think like I do. No idea if that's a good or bad thing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CJacobs posted:

Relevant, the Giant's Causeway in Ireland

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I half expected Nate to pull an "AHHH! ARRRGH MY ARRRMM! :gonk:" prank on his brother with that switch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I half expected Nate to pull an "AHHH! ARRRGH MY ARRRMM! :gonk:" prank on his brother with that switch.

I didn't just half-expect it, I full-expected it!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Guess he was too afraid of that actually happening to joke about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He's just too genre-savvy at this point. He knew that if he made the joke here and it turned out to be nothing, later on it'd almost certainly happen for real.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

CJacobs posted:

Taken that word from my gloriously clunky native dutch language thank you very much

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 5, 2016

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Guess he was too afraid of that actually happening to joke about it.

That and he already did it in the first game.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Columnar basalt, yeah. It's just a way that lava cools. Lava cooling rapidly causes stress fractures in the basalt as it shrinks into solid form, usually causing a hexagonal column of rock.

Basically anywhere that's had a volcano with liquid basalt has these columns. Ireland famously has the Giant's Causeway, Turkey's got some rad basalt cliffs, they're basically on every continent.

In North America specifically, the Devil's Tower/Postpile. A very cool place to visit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sliding and shooting is mostly done in multiplayer, tho it doesn't happen that much there tbh. unless they added some more sliding spots in the dlc maps (never played those)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The first area where you can stealth through for an achievement it's pretty hard to do. Though what hurt me was I'd get to the door then Sam would take forever to get over so I would get caught and have to kill everyone.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chip Cheezum posted:

Let's learn about how frogs are secretly turtles. Also our next podcast is live! This time we're talking about Platinum Games, maps, and doing LPs of sequels!

Chipod Ironicast #19: Platinum.....Libsyn.....Download

Slightly tangential, but how do you even LP something like MGSV? It's so big but so much of it is just repetition of the same pattern in a different location on the map. And there's also so much superfluous junk in it (that a sensible play-through would mod away, but would that affect the “quality” of an LP?) that just isn't good content. Maybe some of it works as a stream — let's talk nonsense while grinding S-rank soldiers and precious metals — but for actual showing off gameplay, it would be horrid to watch… and yet, it is a part of the full game.

Since it's essentially Peace Walker 2, I suppose some of that style could be adopted, but it's still such an oddball even compared to that one. And I don't think the cutscenes are the problem — it's that 98% of the story is in the cassettes. While in a regular play-through, this is an improvement over the codec calls of old since you don't just have to sit and watch a static screen but instead can use it to drown out the aforementioned rank/resource grind, that doesn't really work that well for the LP format unless it's back to the codec cassette-only episodes, which are now crucial to understanding the plot rather than just being curious asides that safely can be skipped.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Nate jumping and grabbing onto old wooden beams with his bare hands :stare:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not just old wooden beams, old wooden beams that have cracked and splintered before his very eyes mere moments before said jump-and-grab!

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

Tippis posted:

Slightly tangential, but how do you even LP something like MGSV? It's so big but so much of it is just repetition of the same pattern in a different location on the map. And there's also so much superfluous junk in it (that a sensible play-through would mod away, but would that affect the “quality” of an LP?) that just isn't good content. Maybe some of it works as a stream — let's talk nonsense while grinding S-rank soldiers and precious metals — but for actual showing off gameplay, it would be horrid to watch… and yet, it is a part of the full game.

Since it's essentially Peace Walker 2, I suppose some of that style could be adopted, but it's still such an oddball even compared to that one. And I don't think the cutscenes are the problem — it's that 98% of the story is in the cassettes. While in a regular play-through, this is an improvement over the codec calls of old since you don't just have to sit and watch a static screen but instead can use it to drown out the aforementioned rank/resource grind, that doesn't really work that well for the LP format unless it's back to the codec cassette-only episodes, which are now crucial to understanding the plot rather than just being curious asides that safely can be skipped.

There's actually a let's play of it on this forums right now by a guy called Leal (thread name is something like "a silencer on a grenade? Let's play msg v")that I think does it quite well. During parts of gameplay where not much is happening they'll play a cassette tape over it, and they have a couple of tapes at the end of every video or so. Also they cut out superficial gameplay like travelling between areas either by speeding up the footage or fading to a new location. I'd advice checking it out if you wanted an example of a possible way of how to do it.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
About frogs being turtles, the Germans agree with you Ironicus! Turtle translates to Schildkröte. Schild = shield, kröte = toad. A turtle is a shield toad!

German animal names and their direct translations are the best thing.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Mraagvpeine posted:

So, when's that Condemned 2 LP coming? :cheeky:

I dont think that would make a very fun Lets Play

Whens the Condemned 2 stream with Voidburger coming?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pennfalath posted:

"Kak" or "Kaka" is Dutch (which is how it ended up in South-African) slang/child speak for poo poo. Comes from Latin (and probably before that). Cacare means to defecate.

Appropriate avatar/post combo. It's also the derivation of the English word 'poppycock', which originally meant 'soft poo poo'.

On that note, obviously this game is not realistic, but a bunch of South African mercs don't seem likely to follow the command of a black lady.

Also, the cages are hung on gibbets. What is in a turkey are giblets.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

sleepy.eyes posted:

About frogs being turtles, the Germans agree with you Ironicus! Turtle translates to Schildkröte. Schild = shield, kröte = toad. A turtle is a shield toad!

German animal names and their direct translations are the best thing.

I don't know much German, but it always seems like its vocabulary is ~45% compound words. I love it.

"Caca" in Spanish has the same pronunciation and has (obviously) the same Latin root, but isn't considered nearly as crude.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Here's the real version of that flintlock pistol/flashlight:

Still not as boss as this Luger "Night Pistol", carried by the Hitler Guard who patrolled the bunker where Adolf made his final stand:

The gun takes advantage of the fact that human skin is slightly conductive: the grip has brass plates on it that toggle the light on when the gun is held. The light clips on and was carried separately, meant to be mounted on the pistol after removing it from the holster. Only two are known to exist and they're worth around $184,000.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

chitoryu12 posted:

The gun takes advantage of the fact that human skin is slightly conductive: the grip has brass plates on it that toggle the light on when the gun is held. The light clips on and was carried separately, meant to be mounted on the pistol after removing it from the holster. Only two are known to exist and they're worth around $184,000.

Looks nice, but what if I'm wearing gloves!

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Looks nice, but what if I'm wearing gloves!

"German high command doesn't understand cold weather" was kind of a running theme through most of WWII.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

If Sully isn't pissing out of the seaplane because he irishes up his cocoa thus experiencing the diuretic effects, then he's not the Sully we all cherish. :colbert:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The combat seems way better paced in this one than the previous three. I completely refused to finish the first Uncharted after how bullet spongy the enemies were and how much of a slog the fights were as a result, and even in 2 and 3, which were better about it, it felt like any given combat sequence was going to be a minimum of like 7-8 minutes, often substantially more. Here we still haven't seen one take more than, like...4.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Sully seems like the type that would piss in a bottle then toss the bottle out the window, just because he can't be bothered to get up.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
First game also didn't have iron fist so your best option for fights was really just sit still and take potshots which was really boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The first game totally had steel fist! I remember Ironicus getting very excited about it and calling it stone fist for the entire let's play! Unless you mean it's different mechanically.

• Locked thread