Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
He does not like coffee. This instantly gets sympathy from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

cant cook creole bream posted:

He does not like coffee. This instantly gets sympathy from me.

what is wrong with you

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

1x01

Who's the actor that plays Pops? I recognize his voice, but I can't remember his name. Also the Power Man reference was great. That barbershop scene sets the tone right away, I love it

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Liking the show.

I've really enjoyed how each of the Marvel Netflix show's has had its own unique tone. And how each one is less a Super Hero story, and more a story that happens to have super heroes as some of the characters. Also wondering how they'll get everything to mesh for The Defenders.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

Liking the show.

I've really enjoyed how each of the Marvel Netflix show's has had its own unique tone. And how each one is less a Super Hero story, and more a story that happens to have super heroes as some of the characters. Also wondering how they'll get everything to mesh for The Defenders.

For now, just popping in to say all of this. God bless Netflix and all the Marvel properties. I wasn't really anticipating this as much as say, Daredevil S2, but I finished episode 1 and am already hooked.

Also that theme song is SO GOOD.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
1x02

Pops. :( I figured this was coming, the ritual Slaying Of The Mentor To Motivate The Hero, but it's all in the execution and this show did it well.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Carlosologist posted:

1x01

Who's the actor that plays Pops? I recognize his voice, but I can't remember his name. Also the Power Man reference was great. That barbershop scene sets the tone right away, I love it

Frankie Faison.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Skippy McPants posted:

Liking the show.

Echoing this. I'm three episodes deep and I'm really into how this fits so well with both Daredevil and JJ, but is still entirely its own thing. Being complimentary yet standing apart, that's a hell of an achievement.

Luke Cage has much more of a languid feel to it than the others. And that's appropriate. JJ was up against a known super villain, DD is actively looking for trouble, and Luke really is just trying to get on with his life so the slow burn beginning painting a portrait of Harlem absolutely worked for me. Helped by some loving amazing music.

Just want to also note that Misty Knight is a honey, and holy poo poo how is Alfre Woodard still such an utter badass at 63?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Episode 3 That's a little loving over the top ,sorry blowing up a building with a Rocket laucher is just so out there. You'd have the loving FBI, NSA, the President talking about it. Everyone in New York especially.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Only on 3 so far but I'm already loving this more than any other Marvel show. Maybe I'm biased already loving Luke Cage but this show is just nailing it so far. If it doesn't poo poo the bed half in or whatever I think this is gonna be my new favorite.

Skippy McPants posted:

Liking the show.

This 100%. Netflix is smart enough to not try to make a 'super hero' show and instead make a show about a character that happens to be a super hero. I'm watching this poo poo because I want to see Luke Cage and his friends and enemies and the stories they tell, the fact that he can take a bullet to the face and shrug it off is just an element of that. Luke Cage is different than Jessica Jones even though they're connected characters. He's different than Daredevil even though they're very similar 'street level' heroes with similar enemies and all. You have to make the tones and themes around them different.

Also Cottonmouth and his club being the excuse for this show to have the best music rules. I hope every badass scene is spliced with shots of the club and some performer because I loved the ones that already happened.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mikeraskol posted:

You just said you definitely weren't watching Luke Cage because some internet article called it the most important show of 2016. Pot, kettle, etc.

That was a joke, I'm watching it. I like that it has a slightly different tone from the other two Marvel Netflix shows but I'm still not all that into it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

1x12

holy loving poo poo this rap, wasn't expecting method man to be much more than a cameo

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Continuity was confusing me.

So this happens BEFORE JJ but after DD Season 2. At least that's what I'm getting from E5.

EDIT NOPE. After JJ.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 30, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
1x03

Did not see the rocket launcher coming. The big fight scene didn't resonate with me for some reason, definitely not as much as the hallway scene in Daredevil season 1.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

flosofl posted:

Continuity was confusing me.

So this happens BEFORE JJ but after DD Season 2. At least that's what I'm getting from E5.

It's after both.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Episode 4 That loving beard.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

1x03

Did not see the rocket launcher coming. The big fight scene didn't resonate with me for some reason, definitely not as much as the hallway scene in Daredevil season 1.

The early parts of the show have a bit of a problem with Cage being bulletproof. It's a little hard to generate tension when your hero is just walking over all his opposition and is clearly in absolutely no peril whatsoever.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So far I like this show. The only part I dislike is the soundtrack. It's way to much jazz, which is just the worst.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

1x03: Brought to you by Milky Way

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 30, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So far I like this show. The only part I dislike is the soundtrack. It's way to much jazz, which is just the worst.

That's uh not jazz.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

1x13 This Diamondback costume is really... something, all right

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
1x04

That was intensely uncomfortable to watch, in a good way. Also, nice callback to his comics outfit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

1x13

Finished it. I actually really enjoyed the climactic fight with Diamondhead, the cheering crowd and having it just be a rough, superpowered brawl was great. Overall, I thought it was really solid, assisted a lot by the soundtrack, but overall I think some of the other series did more for me. JJ remains my favorite. Honestly probably the most consistent of all the series, even including that two-or-three episode stretch where Luke either can't or doesn't do much fighting. I'm also surprised they sidestepped the whole robot arm issue with Misty; she recovers more-or-less perfectly from her injury in a laughably short amount of time. Also that ending's kind of a bummer, wasn't really into it until Claire brought up calling Matt again.'

lol, Colleen Wing's teaching Kung-Fu Classes

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

How did the comic build tension when the dude is invincible ? Is it just everyone around him being in peril all the time?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Qmass posted:

How did the comic build tension when the dude is invincible ? Is it just everyone around him being in peril all the time?

More or less, there's ways to still gently caress him up in the comics, and the classic 'I can't hurt you but how about I beat up your friend and make sure you know it's all your fault' move always works on a guy like Luke. Obviously it varies writer to writer but there've been plenty of very good 'oh poo poo noooo' moments for Cage despite being pretty much a walking diamond tank.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
1x03

Was the people layed up in the hospital that Cage saw victims of Jones or Daredevil? Seemed like there was a pause there for a connection to be made.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The soundtrack is by far the best part of the show.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The soundtrack is by far the best part of the show.

Seriously so many good moments were made great by the soundtrack

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

MrAristocrates posted:

1x13
lol, Colleen Wing's teaching Kung-Fu Classes

Maybe she'll be in the same class as Trish Walker. :)

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Seriously so many good moments were made great by the soundtrack

Truth, though I was kind of hoping the trailer music would be incorporated.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 30, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

More or less, there's ways to still gently caress him up in the comics, and the classic 'I can't hurt you but how about I beat up your friend and make sure you know it's all your fault' move always works on a guy like Luke. Obviously it varies writer to writer but there've been plenty of very good 'oh poo poo noooo' moments for Cage despite being pretty much a walking diamond tank.

I liked how he was handled in Jessica Jones: he may be bulletproof, but blunt force trauma will still do a number on him and conventional medical treatment is difficult.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Shades is up there with Wesley for cool henchman of the year in my opinion. I love this dude.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Qmass posted:

Along with what others have said, there was one clear moment in the comics I remember where he had some internal injuries and the doctors were like "Oh gently caress, how do we operate on him or give him injections?"

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
1x13
One think I really like is that its not an absolute win for our hero.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

I liked how he was handled in Jessica Jones: he may be bulletproof, but blunt force trauma will still do a number on him and conventional medical treatment is difficult.

Yea that too, you can't just plug him but you can still beat the poo poo out of him if you're good enough. He's tough and hard to kill but not immortal, I always saw him as a much more reasonable Superman pretty much. Random Thug #2 can't stand a chance but whoever's in charge usually has some way to at least gently caress him up and make the fight fun.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
1x03

They really telegraphed the detective being a bad guy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea that too, you can't just plug him but you can still beat the poo poo out of him if you're good enough. He's tough and hard to kill but not immortal, I always saw him as a much more reasonable Superman pretty much. Random Thug #2 can't stand a chance but whoever's in charge usually has some way to at least gently caress him up and make the fight fun.

Which seems to have been dropped considering (ep 3 spoilers) the rocket didn't kill him or gently caress him up at all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Which seems to have been dropped considering (ep 3 spoilers) the rocket didn't kill him or gently caress him up at all.

Eh different writers take different liberties with the extent of his power. The general rule is guns/bombs/etc are hard to hurt him with but if you just bash his face with something with enough power behind it you can make him hurt. Stuff like rockets and all always are in the weird 'well is this is an explosion or crushing stuff or what' place that boils down to 'whatever fits the story the best'. The story called him him to be able to punch out, so the rocket didn't ding him at all.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I figure Luke can be drowned, suffocated, poisoned (really bad poison), mental attacks, radiation

Adamantium. Vibranium.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Ok, episode 5 absolutely whips rear end. They are doing a fantastic job with the slow burn, actually showing the transition from the wounded, on the run guy who can't trust anyone into this very original public figure hero.

You keep seeing more and more of Superhero Lucas Cage and it feels great every time he peeks out.

Also (still e5) Cottonmouth flipping out at the footage of the Judas bullet was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tom Gorman posted:

I figure Luke can be drowned, suffocated, poisoned (really bad poison), mental attacks, radiation

Adamantium. Vibranium.

Yea that too, it's literally just his body that's near unbreakable. He still needs air and functioning guts and all.

They even hit on that with the councilwoman being all 'so what, just fuckin drown him if you can't shoot him'