Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Rutibex posted:

It is when planning things is the entire point of the game?

You don't in fact have to plan a single thing in this game, you can just throw down a field and plant some crops wherever and water it every other day when you feel like it and just wander around doing whatever and you are still playing correctly

there is literally no fail state or point where you are 'doing it wrong'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

I don't understand them, but I am also not surprised by them. So many people, when it comes to games, will go out of their way not only to spreadsheet poo poo down to the finest particle, but then go around telling people that's how the game is meant to be played.

As if I wanted to turn a game about leaving your soul-killing desk job for the freedom of farm life into my very on soul-killing desk job.

Some people find solace in numbers and structure, it isn't "soul-killing" at all to start with a few vegetables and work your way up being the next Robert Mondavi.

The real-problem is the chillbros keep acting like the spreadsheet goons are trying to ruin poo poo.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Gaming was a dream of good government.
The human being created simulators not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.
The need to be observed and understood was once satisfied by God. Now we can implement same functionality with Steam Achievements.
God and the gods were apparitions of observation, judgement and punishment. Other sentiments towards them were secondary. The human organism always worships. First, it was the gods, then it was fame (the observation and judgement of others), next it will be self-aware systems you have built to farm electronic cranberries and turn them into wine.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I wonder if this is gonnna be the last patch for a while. Am I being selfish for wanting more? I'm glad CA is doing well though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
depends on how you define a while. yeah, this is most likely the last major content patch we're seeing for 4-5 months, but it's an open question on what'll happen during those 4-5 months. co-op is not part of this patch and has definitely been getting a lot of dev time, so that'll be in a patch at some point. as far as extra content goes, the general impression CA has given is that he'd like to continue working on the game but there's no hard plans for any of that right now. he's been pretty good at communicating though, so i imagine he'll say what's up after the dust has settled from 1.1 - or, if you're impatient, i'd give at least a coin flip's chance of him responding to a polite question on twitter.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Co-op is also coming, eventually.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Coolguye posted:

depends on how you define a while. yeah, this is most likely the last major content patch we're seeing for 4-5 months, but it's an open question on what'll happen during those 4-5 months. co-op is not part of this patch and has definitely been getting a lot of dev time, so that'll be in a patch at some point. as far as extra content goes, the general impression CA has given is that he'd like to continue working on the game but there's no hard plans for any of that right now. he's been pretty good at communicating though, so i imagine he'll say what's up after the dust has settled from 1.1 - or, if you're impatient, i'd give at least a coin flip's chance of him responding to a polite question on twitter.

Yeah he seems like the kind of guy who will say when he's done making updates and not just ghost the fanbase.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Well, I hope he does more things with that spooky witch hut. Gave me the biggest laugh this week and I'm so down with doing cartoonish evil things to people.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah i'd also like to at least see sandy marryable before the game gets tucked into the final drawer. classy businesswomen deserve love. the game itself is a good basis for doing whatever he really wants though, it's pretty clear that CA has thought about this world he's building quite a bit so he might want to have some larger narrative going on

or maybe he'll just expand the API to the point where people can easily hook in new content and call it a day. that's probably what i'd do in his position; spend a good half a year making the API really powerful and easy to work with, then toss the reigns to the community, tell them 'go nuts', and check in occasionally to make certain mods i really liked official, be it new mechanics like the spooky witch hut, new villagers to play with/marry, or new weird challenges like a remade skull cave.

shitpostmodern
Oct 30, 2015

Wow, this is the fastest I've ever gotten married in this game. I run into Shane pretty much every day, so talking to him and giving him random lovely fruit was simple enough for a while, but his birthday is mid-spring so I bought him a beer and he shot up for 5 hearts from 1 on a single day. I was dating him by the beginning of summer, and I would have married him by the end of summer but upgrading my house was going on during the last rain of the summer and I had to wait until the 3rd of fall to get the shell. Was married before the first week of fall was up!

Did find it a little buggy, though, because I looked at the wiki later to see what heart events I missed and the answer was all but the 2, 4 and 6 heart events. I went to the places during the appropriate weather and at the right schedule times to initiate the other ones, but they just never happened. Looking at the wiki now, the events are actually completely different than they were on Wednesday when I first checked--there used to be one where he'd show up at your place and ask you to lend him money, and saying yes would cause him to buy Jas some shoes and pay off some debts, and saying no would lead to his current 6 heart event, which was actually listed as a 6.5 heart event that happened depending on how the 6 heart event went. I kind of feel like the update that changed all of that between Wednesday and last night may have messed up my chances of actually seeing some of these events, but I don't really care all that much tbh. Just thought it was mildly annoying.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Coolguye posted:

yeah i'd also like to at least see sandy marryable before the game gets tucked into the final drawer. classy businesswomen deserve love. the game itself is a good basis for doing whatever he really wants though, it's pretty clear that CA has thought about this world he's building quite a bit so he might want to have some larger narrative going on

or maybe he'll just expand the API to the point where people can easily hook in new content and call it a day. that's probably what i'd do in his position; spend a good half a year making the API really powerful and easy to work with, then toss the reigns to the community, tell them 'go nuts', and check in occasionally to make certain mods i really liked official, be it new mechanics like the spooky witch hut, new villagers to play with/marry, or new weird challenges like a remade skull cave.

We need Robin marryable. Demetrius can go piss off.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

marry robin, maru go off to college to get out of bad home, do too much special K at a technorave, come back brain damaged and demetrius has to care for dain bramaged babby all by own. also player steal him potato patch and give to pierre

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Coolguye posted:

This is what I'm hoping he does.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
uh wow (shane spoilers) his new events are really depressing. Kinda a massive bummer.

also im down with stealing robin, loving rear end in a top hat buying tomatoes when someone ask for fruit. that's awful.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

also im down with stealing robin, loving rear end in a top hat buying tomatoes when someone ask for fruit. that's awful.

This was the worst cutscene.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

GunnerJ posted:

This was the worst cutscene.

Every Demetrius Cutscene is the worst cutscene.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

idk the one where he plays the super overprotective dad was at least funny in a weirdo way.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

idk the one where he plays the super overprotective dad was at least funny in a weirdo way.

I thought it was a little alarming, really. Not to mention insulting-- what, is my emotional and financial support not good enough for your daughter?

Though, that does remind me: does Demetrius ever really bring up (or speak to) Sebastian? I feel like that speaks a lot more about his temperament as a parent than giving a pre-emptive shovel talk.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The guy is basically an android trying out how to be a person, cut him a little slack.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

StrangeAeon posted:

I thought it was a little alarming, really. Not to mention insulting-- what, is my emotional and financial support not good enough for your daughter?

Though, that does remind me: does Demetrius ever really bring up (or speak to) Sebastian? I feel like that speaks a lot more about his temperament as a parent than giving a pre-emptive shovel talk.

No. I actually noticed when I started up 1.1 something odd about his schedule: It seems like any time Sebastian's upstairs in the house, Demetrius is out. I could be wrong, but I have yet to see them both there at the same time.

Literally the closest they ever get is when they're both in the saloon on fridays.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Thor-Stryker posted:

Some people find solace in numbers and structure, it isn't "soul-killing" at all to start with a few vegetables and work your way up being the next Robert Mondavi.

The real-problem is the chillbros keep acting like the spreadsheet goons are trying to ruin poo poo.
Either side is fine until they act shocked that the other isn't playing like they do, basically.

"Wait, you don't intensively plan out what fish you need to catch this season, where to catch them, and during what weather? What are you even doing?"

"Wait, why the gently caress are you planning that much? How is that fun?

Tired Moritz posted:

uh wow (shane spoilers) his new events are really depressing. Kinda a massive bummer.

I haven't seen his events yet, but it's Shane we're talking about, so I'm not really surprised that they're depressing. He's basically Depression+Alcoholism: The Character.

StrangeAeon posted:

Part of Sebastian's Thing is feeling neglected in favor of Maru, so you pretty much hit the nail on the head here.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
In my new game for the patch I'm going to play as a woman. Possibly an old woman. She's gonna be on the prowl for husbands. Who should an old gal like me marry?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

MrSlam posted:

In my new game for the patch I'm going to play as a woman. Possibly an old woman. She's gonna be on the prowl for husbands. Who should an old gal like me marry?

harvey, for free treatment of your gout and arthritis

StrangeAeon posted:

lol that is like maru's 2 or 3 heart event, dem is basically every dad with a teenaged daughter ever in that scene

"hey holmes i see you're hanging around my daughter a fair bit. that's cool. just understand that if you hurt her, not even death will save you from me. kthx."

like seriously i got that talk from every dad of every girl i dated until i was like 25, usually long before i was going out with them

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 30, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MrSlam posted:

Harvey is explicitly written as older than the other bachelors.

I'll start a new game for the river farm, but I dunno about pursuing either new love interest. I never got the love for Shane, and while I like Emily okay I never wanted her as a waifu.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Coolguye posted:

harvey, for free treatment of your gout and arthritis

lol that is like maru's 2 or 3 heart event, dem is basically every dad with a teenaged daughter ever in that scene

"hey holmes i see you're hanging around my daughter a fair bit. that's cool. just understand that if you hurt her, not even death will save you from me. kthx."

like seriously i got that talk from every dad of every girl i dated until i was like 25, usually long before i was going out with them

Have you considered maybe it's you?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

i did

didn't work out tho

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Mega64 posted:

Fangamer's publishing a guidebook for the game. If it's the same quality as their Mother 3 guide, it should be a very nice collector's item. Hell, I'm tempted to get one myself.

Aw, cute. I think I'll get one, thanks!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Nah, it's a disturbingly common thing. Fathers literally threatening minors with bodily harm or sometimes death while being creepily possessive of their daughters and their bodily autonomy while society at large considers this Right and Proper.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

Nah, it's a disturbingly common thing. Fathers literally threatening minors with bodily harm or sometimes death while being creepily possessive of their daughters and their bodily autonomy while society at large considers this Right and Proper.

you have activated his trap card

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Magmarashi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APhw7rju-Co

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Yeah, ok I guess

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Which marriage candidate is the biggest sex freak?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

The thing that was super weird about that scene is that Demetrius is basically the last dad I'd expect to pull that poo poo. He's so affable and thoughtful otherwise.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dorkopotamis posted:

My money's on Maru.

...Or maybe Penny.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Dorkopotamis posted:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

GunnerJ posted:

The thing that was super weird about that scene is that Demetrius is basically the last dad I'd expect to pull that poo poo. He's so affable and thoughtful otherwise.

Maybe his android programming told him to do that, just like it told him to buy tomatoes.

Edit: 3 days after my son was born. Penny asks if I had played with him that day. And says maybe having another kid will give him a playmate. :|

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dorkopotamis posted:

Used to be Elliott but now it's definitely Emily

e: Among the girls the best reason to marry Leah is no in-laws in sight. That's also true of Haley but Haley is and always will be emotionally 10 years old so no thanks.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 1, 2016

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Cythereal posted:

My money's on Maru.

...Or maybe Penny.

Penny. She's into doing it in public places.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: Among the girls the best reason to marry Leah is no in-laws in sight. That's also true of Haley but Haley is and always will be emotionally 10 years old so no thanks.

Haley still has a sister. So does Emily, for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Eric the Mauve posted:

Haley grows up a good deal in her higher heart events.