Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MrJacobs posted:

Nah, you can just get Jason Statham as Picard.

I'd watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

James McAvoy as Picard, Tom Hiddleston as Data.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Donald Glover as Geordi.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Frionnel posted:

Donald Glover as Geordi.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

This Glover would also be acceptable.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
TNG Ethics would have been way better if they dropped the ghastly "casual human experimentation" subplot and made the guest star Dr. Pulaski.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Liam Hemsworth as Riker

:swoon:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zurui posted:

Liam Hemsworth as Riker

He'd do a pretty loving good Season One Oversexed Riker, hell yeah.

Can he have a brother Chris Riker who shows up sometimes? We can learn that the Rikers are descended from Peter Kirk.

On a different note, WLesley can be played by Arya Stark. It's not a real reboot unless you flip a gender.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Zurui posted:

Liam Hemsworth as Riker

None of the Hemsworths can act worth a poo poo. I doubt they'd even be able to pull off the same charm and likability as paunchy Jonathan Frakes.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Zurui posted:

Liam Hemsworth as Riker

“I thought the floating hot dog implied a ghost was holding it. The hot dog is my dick." -William Riker

Oh, I just realized that Chris Hemworth and Liam Hemsworth are two different people. Welp. I literally can't tell them apart, so whatever.

I got to another episode about the Vulcan/Andorian conflict in ENT. This is what the show needs more of: better over-arching plots than the Temporal Cold War, and more often. I know Trek is mainly episodic, but I feel like Trek after DS9 is at its best when it is drifting away from that and toward season-spanning plots. Even Voyager was at its best when it was doing that (except for the one-off Doctor episodes, but that has more to do with Robert Picado being awesome than the plots). The Temporal Cold War is a lame plot so far because it's only come up a couple times in 14 or so episodes, and when it does there's barely any new information. It reminds me of a tabletop RPG plot that the GM is trying to run but is afraid to reveal anything about his ~master plan~. It tries the audience's patience and is boring all the while. The Vulcan/Andorian conflict is executed better because it seems more secondary to the writers and therefore they free themselves up to move along with it. It hasn't been stellar sci fi TV, but it's been better than whatever else ENT has given me so far.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The TCW is the biggest wet fart plotline in all of Trek. I mean it ends with goddamn Alien Nazis for no reason.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The TCW is the biggest wet fart plotline in all of Trek. I mean it ends with goddamn Alien Nazis for no reason.

How is a cool TOS esq throwback not awesome?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MrJacobs posted:

How is a cool TOS esq throwback not awesome?

The Nazi episode in TOS is stupid and boring, and its only redeeming characteristic is Nimoy's line about how Kirk makes a good Nazi. The Nazi episode in Voyager is stupid but relatively good fun by Voyager's standards. The Nazi episode in Enterprise is stupid and boring, and what's worse like the whole TCW plot line is a nothing story. There's no drama to it because it's immediately apparently from the fact that this is a prequel show that the TCW didn't change anything, and from the fact that nobody ever referenced such a thing happening before the show that it's not significant in explaining events in the other shows. There's no stakes and no drama, only Nazis and rehashed ideas. Star Trek has some things to say about authoritarian government and racism, but when it comes to literal Nazis it should probably leave it in the writer's room trashcan.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

It's me, I'm the person who hates Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy. (It's for the same reason as I loathe the holographic parts of Pathfinder: it's just too over-the-top and obnoxious.)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

skasion posted:

The Nazi episode in TOS is stupid and boring, and its only redeeming characteristic is Nimoy's line about how Kirk makes a good Nazi.
I enjoy it as a nice slice of, like, Old SciFi (the kind that foresees you reading a NewsTape at breakfast while the compuhome databanks click and whirr in the garage and the atomic car is being spun up). It does address a kind of interesting question, where the Hitlerguy had to impose strict rule to prevent these idiots from genociding themselves or ruining the planet or some such. But then it get away from him and GoebbelsHimmler drugs him and uses him as a figurehead and, whoops, turns out this poo poo really isn't justified because it can get way, way out of control real easy.

At least the Nazism had a justification.

Enterprise NaziLizards suck, but that's the last show runner flipping the new guy the bird on the way out, so cut him some slack?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I enjoy it as a nice slice of, like, Old SciFi (the kind that foresees you reading a NewsTape at breakfast while the compuhome databanks click and whirr in the garage and the atomic car is being spun up). It does address a kind of interesting question, where the Hitlerguy had to impose strict rule to prevent these idiots from genociding themselves or ruining the planet or some such. But then it get away from him and GoebbelsHimmler drugs him and uses him as a figurehead and, whoops, turns out this poo poo really isn't justified because it can get way, way out of control real easy.

At least the Nazism had a justification.

Enterprise NaziLizards suck, but that's the last show runner flipping the new guy the bird on the way out, so cut him some slack?

I can't imagine there was anything much more to Patterns of Force than "hey, we have these Nazi uniforms we can use for cheap, knock yourselves out". It doesn't engage with the concept beyond a surface level, it's comic book level analysis of Nazi state. I agree that it's got some entertainment value as a retrofuturism thing but realistically speaking, I don't expect an hour long tv show about spacemen to be able to tackle the problem of Naziism and I would prefer if they didn't try. Fwiw it's also pretty jarring to me to hear Spock repeat the myth that Third Reich was some super efficient form of government that woulda coulda shoulda been perfectly fine if not for its insistence on persecuting those darn Jews.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think it makes an argument about how fascism is easy (and easy for people to bend to their ambitions), and that just Because It Works isn't justification enough to use it.

At the time it aired it was 20 years removed from the reality of WWII, and the culture war upheavals probably caused a few people to think "Well if we could just crack some heads and get those people in line..." So the argument becomes that the real solutions won't be easy, and they'll be messy, but at least we won't be :hitler:

But an hour long plot about it, yeah, wears thin.

I guess I'm just going to bat for this because the one with Planet Constitution was always a bigger wtf story for me.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kind of mind-boggling that Trek was only removed from WW2 by a little more than we are now from 9/11.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I think it makes an argument about how fascism is easy (and easy for people to bend to their ambitions), and that just Because It Works isn't justification enough to use it.

At the time it aired it was 20 years removed from the reality of WWII, and the culture war upheavals probably caused a few people to think "Well if we could just crack some heads and get those people in line..." So the argument becomes that the real solutions won't be easy, and they'll be messy, but at least we won't be :hitler:

But an hour long plot about it, yeah, wears thin.

I guess I'm just going to bat for this because the one with Planet Constitution was always a bigger wtf story for me.

Oh Omega Glory is batshit insane, no argument there. But I'd rather watch it than Patterns of Force because it takes the essential ludicrousness of the parallel earth concept way further without a hint of awareness that this is completely absurd. The worst thing I can say about Patterns of Force is that it's relatively sober with its material (as it probably should be) without really having anything to say or do about it.

They should probably have combined the two episodes so that just as the nazis make peace with Zeon, the Yangs and the Kohms show up, nuke the poo poo out of them, and fight the Cold War over their planet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Kind of mind-boggling that Trek was only removed from WW2 by a little more than we are now from 9/11.

Can't wait to see the "Planet of Al Queda Terrorists" episode in Discovery's 5th season.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can't wait to see the "Planet of Al Queda Terrorists" episode in Discovery's 5th season.

Well TAS already had an episode about the galaxy being threatened by a Jihad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Enterprise is 9/11 as gently caress.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
ENT premiered I think a few weeks after 9/11 but it took until they got desperate for ratings to set up their space terrorist season at the end of their second year

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
At least BSG was audacious enough with its Space Terrorism season to make the main cast the terrorists.

e: except for Fat Lee. that was just a terrible idea all around

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Awfully optimistic of you. I can't say I'm gonna hold my breath for the existence of a 5th season, or even a 3rd I think yet.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Dark One posted:

except for Fat Lee. that was just a terrible idea all around

Nah, it was awesome, they just hosed up the dismount by making him super cut again in a single episode. It was a good way to show him being utterly miserable commanding a battlestar.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Nah, it was awesome, they just hosed up the dismount by making him super cut again in a single episode. It was a good way to show him being utterly miserable commanding a battlestar.

It's no Fat Mac in Always Sunny

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-trek/258864/star-trek-axanar-fan-film-lawsuit-continues

Axanar continues to be a train wreck.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd put like $20 on there being a hijabi crew member (and it never being directly mentioned as a thing). It's the modern-day equivalent of putting a Russian on the bridge.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

showbiz_liz posted:

I'd put like $20 on there being a hijabi crew member (and it never being directly mentioned as a thing). It's the modern-day equivalent of putting a Russian on the bridge.

But Kirk told Apollo humanity only has one God now! Unless he was actually talking about the Islamic God specifically back then as stealth progressiveness...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

showbiz_liz posted:

The battle between "in the future, no one would feel the need to cover their hair" and "in the future, no one is judged for their beliefs" would cause the universe to implode.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's no Fat Mac in Always Sunny

Also the federation, or at least humans seems pretty secular. Picard even gets mad when that planet of proto-Vulcans is becoming religious saying that it took humans so much work to get rid of stupid superstition and these guys are already ahead of the game by not being religious so don't gently caress that up for them. At the worst humans are "spiritual" but rarely actually religious.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 30, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
On the other hand, the original Enterprise had a chapel which hosted a Catholic wedding.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

same.

Now that I finished TOS, I bounced back to where I was in "Enterprise" and now I realize how loving DULL "Enterprise" is. Even bad TOS feels energetic.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Today is the 25th anniversary of "Darmok".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoM_kPGfkw0

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

WickedHate posted:

On the other hand, the original Enterprise had a chapel which hosted a Catholic wedding.

Christian-inspired, maybe, but definitely not Catholic. TOS also has the Christians on Planet Rome, complete with Uhura's completely out of place allusion to Christ at the end. I remember Bones saying God a lot, too.

For the most part Trek has always been extremely skeptical about religion, though. Gods are just aliens. Even DS9's ventures into spiritualism are generally cynical - how can I use these weird backward beliefs to benefit us?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love when people complain that DS9 was "religious" and had a starfleet officer suddenly believing in all sorts of backwards superstitious mumbo jumbo. Apparently this actually bothered some trek-atheists. "The Prophets" were actual loving alien that actually exist, not some made up gods. Bajoran prophesies were actually given by aliens with the power to see outside of time and actively meddle in it. There was nothing supernatural in DS9, Sisko was using powerful time aliens as allies and information sources in his mission to help the Bajorans and defend the alpha quadrant.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Back when DS9 came on and I was an angry teenage atheist I wasn't annoyed by the existence of wormhole aliens worshipped as gods but I was very annoyed at how boring and parochial the Bajorans were. I've mellowed out on it quite a bit but I'm pretty sure I'd be a lot more sympathetic towards Israel if I hadn't sat through so many "but you guyyyyyys!" Kira shitfits as a kid.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WickedHate posted:

But Kirk told Apollo humanity only has one God now! Unless he was actually talking about the Islamic God specifically back then as stealth progressiveness...

Yeah, if there's one thing I think when I come across the word Islam, it's progressiveness.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hard to starboard, thread, hard to starboard