Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of cool stuff on this last page.
Here's my usual crosspost from the oath thread, which may or may not lower the coolness, I can't say myself.

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath complete!

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

moths posted:

I think it's actually a light pastel green, which world great for base coating WW2 US Army uniforms but will look strange on tanks.

See if you can find the ultra-flat OD green they sell at hardware / auto parts stores for hunters. I think it's labeled as Krylon special purpose ultra-flat. It's probably closer to what you want, and it'll take acrylic paint well.

E: This stuff, I recommend Olive.

Thanks for this, I have some infantrymen to paint too so it looks like I'll be grabbing both of those sprays.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hey goons, bit lost on a paint job and unsure how to tackle it further.

I painted up my first mini and was pretty happy with the outcome. But I decided to work on a second to see if I could come up with an alternate scheme I preferred and fancied giving orange a go, but something with it isn't quite coming out right:

The greys are a little bit different in each ship, the top uses more of a blue grey and the bottom ship is a bit darker in real life, my lamp has really lit the thing up.

I wanted to add some contrasting light grey panels on the second one to offset the orange, but I'm not really sure where to place it, it just isn't quite working yet as a colour theme? any suggestions? and which do you guys/gals think looks better?

The first model is finished and sealed, the second still has a bit to go but I'm a bit lost on it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I'm leaving for ReaperCon in about two-and-a-half weeks. Any recommendations for transporting paints, brushes, and other painting supplies?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Flying, driving or other?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Dark Age Brood stuff I have been working on. I REALLY like this game.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Hey goons, bit lost on a paint job and unsure how to tackle it further.

I painted up my first mini and was pretty happy with the outcome. But I decided to work on a second to see if I could come up with an alternate scheme I preferred and fancied giving orange a go, but something with it isn't quite coming out right:

The greys are a little bit different in each ship, the top uses more of a blue grey and the bottom ship is a bit darker in real life, my lamp has really lit the thing up.

I wanted to add some contrasting light grey panels on the second one to offset the orange, but I'm not really sure where to place it, it just isn't quite working yet as a colour theme? any suggestions? and which do you guys/gals think looks better?

The first model is finished and sealed, the second still has a bit to go but I'm a bit lost on it.

I'd probably do something like this:

EDIT: Probably lighter grey, in retrospect it should obviously be the same color as your first ship.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

PaintVagrant posted:

Nice, I saw those on the Facebook group! Always good to see more Dark Age poo poo.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

GoodBee posted:

Flying, driving or other?

Flying. I'm military, so I get extra baggage on airlines, and gently caress driving through the entirety of west Texas.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SRM posted:

That's loving gorgeous dude. I wish they're range was more of that and less titty rapemonsters.

dr_ether posted:

The vast majority of the models are not "titty rapemonsters". The models that fall into that category are the Wet Nurse (which I own and have painted), and perhaps the Lion God. Given I have the game, and a good number of the expansions, there is indeed body horror, but rape monsters, nay.

Apologies if this is stirring up some long-resolved TG drama or whatever, but I really liked the miniature and was concerned from these posts so I decided to look up some other miniatures and do a little reading, and I was just curious if the "rapemonsters" thing was just silly hyperbole, or if this is something more represented in the game than the art?

I didn't catch much about the Lion God (besides being a warped former ruler of a grand kingdom, also having a cool design), but from what I could find it seemed like the worst was just some naked lady miniatures with the Lion Knight (which is apparently supposed to have more levity than the other monsters/expacs) which are entirely optional, and a pinup line that's intentionally vestigial from the actual line/game.

(Also, do they have any future kickstarters planned ala Reaper Miniatures? I really like a lot of these designs and would be into getting kickstarter value instead of $40-60/expac)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

PaintVagrant posted:

These are all awesome. Love that Job on the yellow

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Cross post from the oath thread

Arson Fire posted:

Oath Complete!

The big guy was fun. I was experimenting with different painting techniques than I normally use. Neutral zenithally highlighted colours to start with, then coloured by glazes.
I don't think I gave it quite enough contrast before I glazed it, and had to spend a while touching it up afterwards.
Still doesn't have quite as much contrast as I'd like, but then again my normal paint schemes tend to be eyeball searing.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I am not satisfied with my freehand gremlin signs. Why don't I like them? Is the text too big? Does it just take you out-of-scale to have any handwritten text at all? Or is it that it draws the eye more than its in-game worth would dictate?

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't know what else I would do with the signs, as I never really got any better ideas than "arrow" and "no smoking". Maybe I should get rid of the sign behind pere entirely?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I think the writing is too messy for the sign, or the sign is too clean for the writing. I get that they're gremlins with crappy handwriting, but I think you want to really weather up the sign to match. Peeling off paint, mud, grime, the whole shebang.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
No pie

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I think the writing is too messy for the sign, or the sign is too clean for the writing. I get that they're gremlins with crappy handwriting, but I think you want to really weather up the sign to match. Peeling off paint, mud, grime, the whole shebang.

I was considering hitting the signs with a brown wash, but the ground is so muddy that I'm worried if I muddy up the boards too it's all going to end up extremely... muddy.

Currently doing some tests with acrylic pouring medium, which I think is the water solution I've been looking for. Once I know how that looks I guess I'll have a better idea of whether or not I want to wash the boards too.

Another idea was just removing the big sign entirely and putting some more rocks/shrubs where it used to be. I thought it would be cute, but I'm not sure it's adding anything. I kind of liked it compositionally when it was empty, but what would it even be at that point? A fence?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Try some thinned dark green on the bottom half of the signs to imply moss or grass stains. You'll break up that big patch of clean brown, it'll look a lot more natural, and it should pop a little more than brown on brown.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I'm going to start painting my first minis soon and I'd like some advice. I plan on having a lot of white on my figures. What color primer should I use? I've heard arguments for white and grey.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I prime pretty much everything grey, I find it so much more forgiving than white.

Knuckle Sammich
May 4, 2009
Was wondering if I could get some feedback on what would improve my painting. A problem I seem to have is any shading I do comes out looking blotchy, especially with skin tones.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dazerbeams posted:

I'm going to start painting my first minis soon and I'd like some advice. I plan on having a lot of white on my figures. What color primer should I use? I've heard arguments for white and grey.

Black is the most forgiving. The hard-to-reach spots are going to be shadow spots anyway, so it doesn't look so bad if you miss painting a little nook or cranny. However, it tends to mute the colors over it. It makes red and yellow even more difficult to paint than normal. Not, like, horrible and impossible, but if you're thinning your paints properly, you're going to need a few more layers to get it to look right, especially if you want them to look bright.

White is really great for getting those bright colors. However, if you miss a spot, it's going to show pretty obviously, meaning you have to go over the mini more carefully when you get your basecoats on.

Grey is in-between. It doesn't look quite as obvious as white if you miss a spot, but it lets you get okay bright colors, if not quite as vibrant as white.

If you use spray primers, you can also do what's called zenithal priming. That's where you prime the mini black, then spray a light dusting of grey at about 45 degrees, and then white almost directly overhead, which preshades minis pretty well.

EDIT: If the minis are mostly white, then you might start with grey for zenithal and then just spray the white at 45 degrees.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

JackMann posted:

EDIT: If the minis are mostly white, then you might start with grey for zenithal and then just spray the white at 45 degrees.

I wouldn't bother tbh, the contrast isn't going to be noticeable.

Here is a question; cool white or warm white?

If you're going for a cool or bright white, use a light grey. If you're going for a warm white/very light beige, use a bone color.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I'm going for a bright white. I'm really looking for a stark and clean look, so the white primer giving vibrant colors sounds appealing. I've read about putting a wash coat directly over the white primer coat to help with the nooks and crannies. Is that an option or just a bad idea?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dazerbeams posted:

I'm going for a bright white. I'm really looking for a stark and clean look, so the white primer giving vibrant colors sounds appealing. I've read about putting a wash coat directly over the white primer coat to help with the nooks and crannies. Is that an option or just a bad idea?

I used it for the last few guys I painted, and I found it a lot easier than painting over a flat white base. Not only is it more forgiving for bits you can't reach, but it gives the miniature instant definition, picking out smaller details that are easy to miss when everything is a bright white. Just try to get an even coverage and avoid pooling on larger areas.

Edit: I was going for a darker finish so applied the wash quite heavily here, if you're going bright just thin it a bit, or apply it more carefully.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 2, 2016

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Knuckle Sammich posted:

Was wondering if I could get some feedback on what would improve my painting. A problem I seem to have is any shading I do comes out looking blotchy, especially with skin tones.

Thinner paint, finer brushes - the face looks like you need something much smaller to get finer control. And possibly an exercise to learn more about blending - find a model with lots of flowing cloaks/clothing (some wizard, basically) and go to town on the blending, just really focus on it for a model.

Ignite Memories posted:

I am not satisfied with my freehand gremlin signs. Why don't I like them? Is the text too big? Does it just take you out-of-scale to have any handwritten text at all? Or is it that it draws the eye more than its in-game worth would dictate?

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't know what else I would do with the signs, as I never really got any better ideas than "arrow" and "no smoking". Maybe I should get rid of the sign behind pere entirely?

The issue at the moment as I see it is that it looks like the writing is pristine on the pristine signs. As other suggested, weathering on the signs, but if you can work out how to apply weathering I think that would make it pop more, it's a bit flat.

I'm not sure here, maybe very fine cutting in from the outside of the letters with the wood colour. Or horizontal very fine cuts in to go with the grain of where the wood on the sign would be.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

Apologies if this is stirring up some long-resolved TG drama or whatever, but I really liked the miniature and was concerned from these posts so I decided to look up some other miniatures and do a little reading, and I was just curious if the "rapemonsters" thing was just silly hyperbole, or if this is something more represented in the game than the art?

I didn't catch much about the Lion God (besides being a warped former ruler of a grand kingdom, also having a cool design), but from what I could find it seemed like the worst was just some naked lady miniatures with the Lion Knight (which is apparently supposed to have more levity than the other monsters/expacs) which are entirely optional, and a pinup line that's intentionally vestigial from the actual line/game.

(Also, do they have any future kickstarters planned ala Reaper Miniatures? I really like a lot of these designs and would be into getting kickstarter value instead of $40-60/expac)

The main offenders are the Wet Nurse (not a model in the game), the Lion God (has a phallus like head/whip that emerges from a vagina like orifice at the neck), and the naked women with the Lion Knight. Within the game art, nudity is common, but for all genders, and any talk about sex is often in the context of consenting couples of survivors being picked to have children (the game has cards and events centred on survivors forming partnerships, having family bloodlines, etc etc there is no mention of rape anywhere in the book, nor any mechanics that represent it, in fact there are random game events, like the "Manhood Stealers" that can only affect male survivors).

So yes, there is some cheesecake in some of the game models, and one or two monsters that walk the line, most are not like that, and male and female survivors are created as equals in the game, and are provided in equal numbers on the armour kits for making your custom survivor models.

As for KS, on Black Friday will be the new one that will be to fund production (development is all done) so the game can be made in numbers so that it can be supplied to shops. What level of discount backers will get is unknown, but it won't be as good as it was for initial backers.

Knuckle Sammich
May 4, 2009

Wazzu posted:

Thinner paint, finer brushes - the face looks like you need something much smaller to get finer control. And possibly an exercise to learn more about blending - find a model with lots of flowing cloaks/clothing (some wizard, basically) and go to town on the blending, just really focus on it for a model.

Thank you for the advice. I'm already using really fine brushes but I'm only thinning my paint the bare minimum to avoid clumps due to my impatience of wanting to see an immediate change when adding a new layer.

Next on my list is these two guys which will give me a chance to play around and hopefully break some bad habits.

(edit) fixed image

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I can relate to that impatience, but you really do get a better result with milk/water consistency paints and small loads on the brush. Just try to make your painting environment one that you'd be OK chilling out in between drying layers.

It also helps to have multiple separated areas to paint with the current color you have thinned; if you take your time with each one then the first should be dry enough for a new light layer by the time you finish the last one.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Neurolimal posted:

The Kickstarter campaign they had, while very successful in making money, took foreeeeeeever to fulfil. I think it started August 2012, with games being sent out around July last year. Then we had to wait for expansions after that :(

But I ended up selling the core game for a lot more than I paid for everything I got from the Kickstarter, so I can't really complain. If they do another one, I hope they keep a strict timetable and not add/change too many things along the way.

That dang box weighed a ton, I tell you what!

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

As far as I know the KS will be to fund a production run (all of the game is designed and molds done, so it is just to pay for production time and resources - nothing new will be going in) and of course new expansions. So the turn around should be much much quicker if you just back to get the boxed game.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Finished some more painting today. All of these are reaper figures, but I'm going to use them for the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game.

Gandalf! (Yeah, I know the staff+sword figure is better for Gandalf, but I saw this one in the shop). The parchment is actually Vallejo Dark Skin mixed down with white, which i think came out as a nice color for it.

A Squadron of Moria Goblins. I don't know if I like this skin tone (Army Painter Demonic Yellow). I don't have a lot of good options without mixing, and I try to avoid mixing when possible.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 3, 2016

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I made a grody test base for my Bloodbound. Probably won't have time to work on them for a while, but the test base turned out well.

I'm obsessed with water FX. It adds such great contrast to miniatures.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 4, 2016

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Finished this Rask recently. It never quite came together the way I wanted to, but it's not bad for a side army project.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
That's a cool looking murloc. I like the muted colors.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Ooh, fishpeople. Warmahordes I take it, with that base? Didn't know it has fishpeople.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Attestant posted:

Ooh, fishpeople. Warmahordes I take it, with that base? Didn't know it has fishpeople.

Yeah they have these guys, called Bog Trogs, and then Croaks, which are frog people, and of course Gatormen. I have an army of Gatormen and a couple of other things in there. I need to get some Bog Trogs though and Rask.

dr_ether fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 5, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Foolster41 posted:

I try to avoid mixing when possible.

Any particular quality reason a novice painter like me should know, or is it just so you dont need to write down mix ratios and save time on preparing things for touch-ups?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Neurolimal posted:

Any particular quality reason a novice painter like me should know, or is it just so you dont need to write down mix ratios and save time on preparing things for touch-ups?

From listening to a bunch of other folks it's an issue of doing exact mix ratios and making your color consistent across your army if you add dudes. If you're willing to track that and are confident in your measurements it should be fine.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

dr_ether posted:

Yeah they have these guys, called Bog Trogs, and then Croaks, which are frog people, and of course Gatormen. I have an army of Gatormen and a couple of other things in there. I need to get some Bog Trogs though and Rask.

Thanks, might want to pick up some of that stuff just to paint.

I just like fishpeople.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Do any lines have a good "barbarian with a whip" or "roast turkey" models?