Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Puppy Time posted:

This is good. Also I just noticed how much of a downvote brigade you seem to have. Jeezus Christ, do people have a problem.

If its any consolation Daniel, I upvote your videos explicitly because you have a hatebase going on. I literally never upvote on youtube otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJV888SUUGA
Paw is LPing the new episode of the Kings Quest game that was also a scam on people

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJV888SUUGA
Paw is LPing the new episode of the Kings Quest game that was also a scam on people

I heard about this. The studio that made this used the money that was originally suppose to be used for a Homestuck Game the creator kickstarted.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I heard about that too. Was there evidence for that?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard about that too. Was there evidence for that?

Nothing definitive, but one of the people involved behind the scenes made a long post that went into the details, the post was deleted, and Hussie refused to confirm or deny anything afterwards. Because of that, most people assume it happened but when he found out they settled before it reached the lawsuit stage, and the settlement included some kind of non disclosure agreement.

I think I remember hearing something similar happening between that company and Neil Gaiman too, but I might be remembering wrong.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Not only that, but they also announced that the epilogue to King's Quest would only be available to people who bought the Complete Edition and not to those who bought the episodes separately or through Season Pass, which was, of course, not announced until two or three episodes in (unless that's changed since I last heard about it, in which case, feel free to correct me).

Idran posted:

I think I remember hearing something similar happening between that company and Neil Gaiman too, but I might be remembering wrong.

That would be correct.

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 1, 2016

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

dijon du jour posted:

And on a completely different tack I found this new guy called Sinema Cins. I can really see him going places.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P0rLslL564

I want Bob to keep this going so hard

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Leal posted:

If its any consolation Daniel, I upvote your videos explicitly because you have a hatebase going on. I literally never upvote on youtube otherwise.

Well thanks, I appreciate it. :)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Trash Boat posted:

Not only that, but they also announced that the epilogue to King's Quest would only be available to people who bought the Complete Edition and not to those who bought the episodes separately or through Season Pass, which was, of course, not announced until two or three episodes in (unless that's changed since I last heard about it, in which case, feel free to correct me).

I think they walked back on that eventually.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Noah Gervais has released a new video, this one on the two Homefront games, AKA Red Dawn with North Korea instead of Soviet Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzCpNgAhUmw

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

October is upon us, and I will be unloading all my horror film requests this month. Today, a look at the Blair Witch Project and how it's totally okay for a piece to only work for a limited period of time.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

poparena posted:

October is upon us, and I will be unloading all my horror film requests this month. Today, a look at the Blair Witch Project and how it's totally okay for a piece to only work for a limited period of time.

I love this video.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

TheMaestroso posted:

I want Bob to keep this going so hard

I don't know. Even this first installment is almost indistinguishable from the material it is supposed to be a parody of.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The sentiment behind these is appreciable, but the videos themselves are unwatchable because they still use the nitpicking format. They should've made their videos more essayistic, categorize different problems, and summarize.

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I found this recently: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vRSArNN6wJE

During the Snowpiercer bit they talk a bit more in depth about how the surface level reading CinemaSins do is really bad.

E. I'm a terrible human and forgot to tag the url.

SpaceCommie fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 1, 2016

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Tarquinn posted:

I don't know. Even this first installment is almost indistinguishable from the material it is supposed to be a parody of.

It's immediately distinguishable, which is part of why it's so funny.

E:

The sentiment behind these is appreciable, but the videos themselves are unwatchable because they still use the nitpicking format. They should've made their videos more essayistic, categorize different problems, and summarize.

Using the same format is the point.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 1, 2016

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

This is good. Also I just noticed how much of a downvote brigade you seem to have. Jeezus Christ, do people have a problem.

Upvotes and downvotes should be annihilated forever, IMO.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
First Monster Madness X video is up and its The Wicker Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOdR2miM_QU
Also new Halloweenie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnvTMcS7lMo

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

A little late to the party, but Joseph Anderson tells us how he feels about No Man's Sky.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
And another Todd today too of a song that always weirdly appealed to me

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Same

Honestly nitpicking the nitpicks is kind of accepting the premise that worrying about continuity errors or being confused at characters not rationally maximizing their utility at all times is real criticism.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Same

Honestly nitpicking the nitpicks is kind of accepting the premise that worrying about continuity errors or being confused at characters not rationally maximizing their utility at all times is real criticism.

I take it you didn't actually watch the video. Both of those things are what Bob criticizes the other person for. On many occasions. With context.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TheMaestroso posted:

I take it you didn't actually watch the video. Both of those things are what Bob criticizes the other person for. On many occasions. With context.

Sorry I watched the first two and it's been a while. I'll take your word for it

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

That final moment is probably the most damning thing I've ever seen of this game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wow, I finally met someone else who didn't like Darkest Dungeon. His disliked it for the same reason (among others he had) I did - the horrible grind. Glad I didn't bother finishing the game, had I saw that ending I would have been really pissed and/or annoyed. Then again, a lot of indie hipsters are all about that meta poo poo so maybe they're just saying all games are a tedious grinds that are ultimately worthless and amount to nothing.

I don't agree with some of his other videos but at least he takes the effort to explain them and do so in depth. A good channel. Thanks for introducing me to it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yay Halloweenie's funny again!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

poparena posted:

That final moment is probably the most damning thing I've ever seen of this game.

That's a lovely bug, but all the whinging about the ending being a BETRAYAL just goes to show how illiterate the vast majority of gamers are.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DStecks posted:

That's a lovely bug, but all the whinging about the ending being a BETRAYAL just goes to show how illiterate the vast majority of gamers are.

Does "the devs didn't seem to anticipate this" count as a bug?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

Does "the devs didn't seem to anticipate this" count as a bug?

Yes.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015

DStecks posted:

illiterate?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

No Man's Sky suckered me with that first trailer of theirs but the hype quickly died out and I'm glad it did. It looks like a game of a series of bad execution. Maybe if I hadn't played Elite Dangerous, the game could appeal to me as a chill space exploration game to unwind with or whatever but it just looks like it has no mechanical depth to it whereas with Elite, you could make your own fun using what tools exist there and appreciate the minutia to it all.

And boy, that was some ending. The game would have been better served by not having one, but from what I've seen that's the least of its problems.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Then again, a lot of indie hipsters are all about that meta poo poo so maybe they're just saying all games are a tedious grinds that are ultimately worthless and amount to nothing.

Sounds like people who say that the reason Spec Ops' gunplay was bad was cause war is bad.

What I'm saying is I hope I get these people buying my games that suck and instead of thinking its a bad game instead find some deep metaphor in it while I continue laughing my way to the bank.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jimbot posted:

And boy, that was some ending. The game would have been better served by not having one, but from what I've seen that's the least of its problems.

This game about nomadically travelling from world to world has an ending where it reveals that your journey has only just begun? What the gently caress is this bullshit I deserve a refund

EDIT: I'm not gonna argue that NMS doesn't have problems, but the ending isn't one of them. Honestly, what ending would have made more sense? Could anything describable as an ending have made any sense at all, in a game about the endless depth of space?

DStecks fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 2, 2016

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Leal posted:

Sounds like people who say that the reason Spec Ops' gunplay was bad was cause war is bad.

What I'm saying is I hope I get these people buying my games that suck and instead of thinking its a bad game instead find some deep metaphor in it while I continue laughing my way to the bank.

Yeah, I don't buy that excuse one bit. Games are comprised of parts and while you, as a developer, have strengths in different areas, you should and must make a game to the best of your ability. Deliberately making the gameplay garbage to prove a point is terrible. Unless you are giving the game away for free, then that could be an interesting idea, assuming people make it through your bad-playing "game."

I'm all for weird poo poo developers can come up with, but if you are peddling that stuff to consumers you have to make sure it's of a certain quality. You must never make the people who played your game feel as if they wasted their time. That's the biggest failing of a game. To play a game get absolutely nothing out of it because of the gameplay loop and what it all leads to.

DStecks posted:

This game about nomadically travelling from world to world has an ending where it reveals that your journey has only just begun? What the gently caress is this bullshit I deserve a refund

EDIT: I'm not gonna argue that NMS doesn't have problems, but the ending isn't one of them. Honestly, what ending would have made more sense? Could anything describable as an ending have made any sense at all, in a game about the endless depth of space?

If you don't intend a game to have an end then don't put in an ending. It's as simple as that. I've put an embarrassing amount of time in Elite: Dangerous and there isn't an end-goal except the ones I set for myself. I set a goal to buy a really fantastic ship and once I did that, I felt a great sense of accomplishment in doing so. If the developer put that goal in at the onset and made it part of the UI telling me how much closer I was to getting that, my expectations would have been built up. So if I bought that ship and it wasn't the greatest game-changing thing I've ever encountered in the game, I would have been aggravated or let down.

It just seems like a no-brainer thing to do. Non-endings are the least offensive of bad endings, in my opinion. They can be overlooked if the gameplay was solid but endings that retroactively make everything you've done pointless (either narratively or gameplay-wise) just ruin games. Don't get art-house with your endings, yo.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DStecks posted:

The problem, in my view*, is that it gives the impression that it's building to something, then basically does the equivalent of the Super Mario Brothers ending.

Much like the rest of the game, people seem mostly mad because the devs gave a false impression of what it was going to be like.

*NB I have only followed this from watching others' gameplay/criticism

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"

I'd say it's a fair assessment to make

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Afal posted:

I'd say it's a fair assessment to make

:vince:

Like, just in general, what thought process brings you to that answer?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the greatest video game ever made was Dungeon and none of you fucks will convince me otherwise

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jimbot posted:

If you don't intend a game to have an end then don't put in an ending.

The game has an end goal, reaching the centre of the galaxy, and the whole game is built around this journey. That's why the game isn't built for you ever returning to places you've been, because NMS is about forward motion and never staying anywhere too long.

Also LMAO at criticizing a game for "wasting the player's time" and praising Elite Dangerous in the same post.

Jimbot posted:

Don't get art-house with your endings, yo.

NMS is an art game. You are illiterate.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015

Puppy Time posted:

The problem, in my view*, is that it gives the impression that it's building to something, then basically does the equivalent of the Super Mario Brothers ending.

Much like the rest of the game, people seem mostly mad because the devs gave a false impression of what it was going to be like.

*NB I have only followed this from watching others' gameplay/criticism

honestly, that is a sound inference to make
with my programming background I can tell you that everything NMS does mechaniclly is tremendously simple, what was sold was not scope or scale but a 64-bit seed value with ZERO culling conditions. the generation algorithm can produce 2^64 discrete states and it outputs ALL of them. What I only recently discovered was all the little tricks to make it work, each planet having 10 species and 3-5 planets, and one space station is not a choice of the seed system: I'd wager that to save on initialization and other overhead, none of those objects are ever culled from memory just overwritten continuously.
The upshot of which is you're seeing the same solar system with a new coat of digital paint each time, and not in the sense 'everything feels samey' but the 10 slots for creatures are in identical registers, locations of minerals and points of interest would placed in identical coordinates on every planet.
Most computer entertainment has learned to hide these tricks; NMS from what I've seen doesn't bother, or more likely doesn't know how. The junior team packaged a lot objects (crafting, mining, procedural generation, plot progression and dialog tress) in a very CS 101, just the bare minimum to get the passing grade fashion, it ships after having implemented one prototype and won't ever finesse or revisit a completed project, which can be a problem when all your marketing material states that in a masterstroke hello games birthed an entire universe in less than 6 gigabytes.

skullhead tethyis fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

KKall posted:

I'm finally finished with Shakespeare. I just released my video on Chimes at Midnight. I'm rather proud of how this one came out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUOg666BZvk

I just caught up with this one, and thought it was interesting how you contrasted Welles as Falstaff (lovable rogue) with Welles as Harry Lime (villainous rogue). When Welles got the chance to reprise the character of Harry Lime for radio, he played the character as a charming schemer, more along the lines of Falstaff.

• Locked thread