Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I'm incredibly excited about Swedish Dracula now :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
What even does the "Lure of Heroic Fascism" Mean? Are we seriously reverting back to the days when Morningkill was in charge and the Get were literal actual Nazis? Cause Albrecht's term as head of the Garou Nation was pretty much the opposite of Fascist.

And one thing I got out of that Q&A is that Martin really has no clue about anything that goes on in the American Roleplaying community. At one Martin goes on a long spiel about how you're playing Monsters in the World of Darkness and Racism and Sexism is monstrous. Then someone asked him "Well then why would women or minorities want to even play your game if they're going to come here and be forced to experience historically accurate racism?" and they practically ripped the mic out of his hands before he could respond.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
At best, it's about the way fantasy and sci-fi often uses fascist imagery and ideology (owing largely to both fantasy and fascism being essentially romantic, reactionary, and usually masculinist escapism) for the good guys and he wants to explore it ala Norman Spinrad's The Iron Dream. I doubt it's that, though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Loomer posted:

There needs to be another, even worse, panel for that webcomic with the dog on fire. It no longer reflects this situation.
I dunno it seems fine to me.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
:drac: Bork bork bork, put de racism in der pot, bork bork bork

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Loomer posted:

At best, it's about the way fantasy and sci-fi often uses fascist imagery and ideology (owing largely to both fantasy and fascism being essentially romantic, reactionary, and usually masculinist escapism) for the good guys and he wants to explore it ala Norman Spinrad's The Iron Dream. I doubt it's that, though.

From what we've seen of the guy I'm guessing he's more like the guy who wrote to Spinrad and was like 'Hey, that was an awesome story, but why ruin it with all this talk about Hitler?'

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

quote:

Martin: There are many early books that deserve to be updated to contemporary times and get hooked into the development of the metaplot, a lot of great but underused ideas that popped up in fiction anthologies have also caught my eye. To name some personal impulses: ”Shoah: Charnel Houses of Europe” and ”Gypsies” (Should be called something like “Opre Roma!”) could use new editions in our age, as the horrors of the fear of the Other is again on the rise in Europe.

That's chill.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I keep breaking into uncontrollable giggles at this guy looking at the political situation in Europe and thinking "It's a perfect time to reprint Gypsies."

At long last, have they no sense of decency?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This man is incredibly loving stupid.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

According to my friend (Who is Roma) "Opre Roma!" means "Roma Arise!" and was a slogan behind a movement attempting to get the Romani to politically organize in Europe. So I'm betting his ideal book involves using Gypsy blood magic and your amazing magic thief skills to gently caress up the Gadje governments and make your own nation of Gypsos.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think what might be a fun supplement is looking at post 'apocalypse' vampire and exploring all the political systems in Europe spinning out of control of the vampires.

Or we could write a supplement about refugee influx in Europe and how it has affected-

Where is everybody going? Come back guys!

EDIT: Or we could write one where vampires try to undermine the media by censoring content on reddit.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The only possible way Gypsies reissuing could address the rising fear of the other (other than as 'you are right to fear them, they are literally magic and can control your kind' anyway) is to do... Actually I don't think you CAN do it at all in this context, even with a total tear down, as you're still going to be putting out a book saying the quintessential Other is Other for a reason other than human prejudice.

Unless you make it a totally mundane treatise on the Roma and their hardships, I guess.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

In which case why would it even be a World of Darkness book. The absolutely will have magic powers and it will absolutely justify hatred of them. Just like Beast makes MRAs and Gamergate look like the good guys because it put them in as the antagonists to literal mind rapists and murderers that happen to be transgender analogues.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Maybe it will be a cultural touchstone, drawing on actual Roma myth and talk about monsters unique to that culture? That could work. Like you could write a supplement about Norse monsters and myth in the context of the World of Darkness, or various African myths, etc, without diving into full racist territory.

It's just... kind of niche unless they think there's actually something worth salvaging in the original premise behind Gypsies and I can't imagine what that would be. Were there any cool fonts used in that book? I don't remember I burned mine years ago.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Bedlamdan posted:

:drac: Bork bork bork, put de racism in der pot, bork bork bork

Swedish Blood Chef. We need to run with something like that, ideally something funnier.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Considering the global political situation at the moment, having organized international play with a game that explores the "lure of heroic fascism" seems sort of irresponsible. It seems like a way to accidentally create a networking opportunity for fascists embracing all the worse aspects of the game. Of course this assumes that the international trans-media aspect actually happens, which is a big assumption.

Basically, Loomer should replace Swedish dracula.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

quote:

Considering the joint statement from US based LARP fan groups, would you like to address how you will be working with those groups on the issue of player safety?

Tobias: Player safety is naturally absolute key to any business, no one should have to feel unsafe at an events. We don’t organize events ourselves but in our contracts we do our best to set the level for what we consider is required by our partners in terms of quality. But contracts aside, we always talk with our partners about how they can ensure the best possible experience at their events.

What we did our best to message at The Grand Masquerade was that even though our world is dark and mirrors all kinds of really heavy topics it is important that when larping or participating in any our products, that people do it on the level they think is ok and safe for them. We are also absolutely behind the fan groups playing our games in a way that fits their individual preferences. I mean, how could you possibly have it any other way?

We do our very best to work closely with our event licensees, and we will as originally planned from the start eleven months ago get into the nitty gritty with our fan clubs very soon. We had great initial meetings with the fan clubs at The Grand Masquerade and look forward to working with them in the future as we now have the resources available to focus on that.

But in specific as to what we can do, I think the best use of White Wolf as a licensor (except setting a clear level in our contracts as to what is acceptable and what is not) is as a coordinator between the different LARP licensees and the fan clubs to make sure they share their experiences and best practices regarding safety and consent and all other aspects of participatory entertainment. In the end it is them who deal with the players on a daily basis, and it’s our responsibility is to support them as much as possible and to help make what they do easier. The goal is to have the best possible and enjoyable events set in the World of Darkness.

I'm deeply curious how the White Wolf contracts with fan clubs is going to check their development of their material. There is space for White Wolf to introduce themes of personal interest to them. But imagine having to explain why The Spiders That Attack Women At Full Rape Stiffness or The Heroic Fascist Lure are sitting there demanding to be used as part of the canon.

Also, this is quite the walk-back after the 27:00 minute of the keynote where the act of banning content as a club was considered to be Wrong within minutes of telling all the fan clubs that they will be personally licensed by White Wolf.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Loomer posted:

Unless you make it a totally mundane treatise on the Roma and their hardships, I guess.

If I wanted to be REALLY charitable to Swedish Dracula, I'd guess that was what he was thinking in some form, and maybe had forgotten how and why the actual WoD gypsies was so awful. A book that treated on the Romani and integrated them into the setting with the same care and respect that Charnal Houses of Europe did for the Shoah could be awesome. Remaking WoD gypsies as is would I think be even more terrible than before. The American WW team I think can be more faulted for a) essentially wanting to create the classic 'gypsy mystic' archetype from Stoker that era, and b) not thinking through the implications of that, in part because of little to no direct experience with Romani culture. Paradox WW has no excuse for not being aware of the minefield.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Remember when the Paradox deal was first announced and everyone was cautiously optimistic, maybe even excited?

The moral of this is that you should never expect anything good to happen.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kai Tave posted:

Remember when the Paradox deal was first announced and everyone was cautiously optimistic, maybe even excited?

The moral of this is that you should never expect anything good to happen.

But something good did happen: Onyx Path was given leave to dissociate from this entirely and do their own thing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Desiden posted:

If I wanted to be REALLY charitable to Swedish Dracula, I'd guess that was what he was thinking in some form, and maybe had forgotten how and why the actual WoD gypsies was so awful. A book that treated on the Romani and integrated them into the setting with the same care and respect that Charnal Houses of Europe did for the Shoah could be awesome. Remaking WoD gypsies as is would I think be even more terrible than before. The American WW team I think can be more faulted for a) essentially wanting to create the classic 'gypsy mystic' archetype from Stoker that era, and b) not thinking through the implications of that, in part because of little to no direct experience with Romani culture. Paradox WW has no excuse for not being aware of the minefield.

Well I mean, he comes from a place that still thinks this is okay

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I fear what eventually comes from bloodlines 2

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kurieg posted:

Well I mean, he comes from a place that still thinks this is okay

What the everloving gently caress, Sweden.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Loomer posted:

There needs to be another, even worse, panel for that webcomic with the dog on fire. It no longer reflects this situation.

https://thenib.com/this-is-not-fine

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion update: 10 dollars shy of 189k.

New stretch goals:
205k: Yazata pantheon. (That'd be Zoroastrian 'angels'.)
210k: Another story added to the fiction anthology, for a total of 6.
225k: An Earplay interactive audio drama for Scion.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Ugh. You just know it'll be another unbalanced pile in which you've got no choice but to put all five background dots in Blood Purity again.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Night10194 posted:

What the everloving gently caress, Sweden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

It's not just Sweden, a lot of northern Europe is casually racist and there's been a lot of push back against changing things because Tradition.

Which is why when people asked Swedracula about how he'd deal with the issues raised by Feminists and PoCs he only addressed the fact that Sweden is a very feminist country and that it won't be a problem.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 30, 2016

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kurieg posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

It's not just Sweden, a lot of northern Europe is casually racist and there's been a lot of push back against changing things because Tradition.

Which is why when people asked Swedracula about how he'd deal with the issues raised by Feminists and PoCs he only addressed the fact that Sweden is a very feminist country and that it won't be a problem.

That's Holland, though?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It's a thing all over Northern Europe.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Kurieg posted:

It's a thing all over Northern Europe.

If you mean Zwarte Piet, no. If you mean racism? yeah

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The thing you linked only ever mentions Holland though?

(Okay and also Belgian. Dutch speaking areas and call it even.)

I mean, I'm certainly not arguing that Swedes aren't terrible racists, just this is the dumbest way to show that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Guess I was misinformed then. Fantastic.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Scion update: 10 dollars shy of 189k.

New stretch goals:
205k: Yazata pantheon. (That'd be Zoroastrian 'angels'.)

:goonsay: Zoroastrain Yazata's were actually lesser gods or deities, it's only through christianzation they became angels.

Kurieg posted:

In which case why would it even be a World of Darkness book. The absolutely will have magic powers and it will absolutely justify hatred of them. Just like Beast makes MRAs and Gamergate look like the good guys because it put them in as the antagonists to literal mind rapists and murderers that happen to be transgender analogues.

That's making it way, way to easy on WoD there fella. According to Beast Transexualism/Feminism/Otherness is inherently intertwined with eating children.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 1, 2016

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

NutritiousSnack posted:

:goonsay: Zoroastrain Yazata's were actually lesser gods or deities, it's only through christianzation they became angels.

Well, sort of. It's really a complex position that is not really angels and not really deities and is quite interesting but a lot more detail than I was going into.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Desiden posted:

Their excuse is, while Northern Europe and Europe is very feminist (though a different brand American feminism) with it being entirely mainstream, racism and nationalism is also mainstream to the point Trump like figures have existed for a long time, get placed in powerful positions, and even get elected as prime minister (Italy for starters). OWoD really is coming back.

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, sort of. It's really a complex position that is not really angels and not really deities and is quite interesting but a lot more detail than I was going into.

Fair enough, I mostly agree. I just see people make that actual mistake and can't help but mildly correct it with a similar but slightly more accurate term

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There's a reason I used scare quotes, yeah.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Oh, I haven't checked the WoD thread for a while. I wonder what kind of entertaining things White Wolf is cooking up now that Paradox, makers of cool map games that I like, owns them? Maybe there's some kind of cool Crusader Kings II-esque game about Vampire city politics or... uh... :yikes:

Loomer posted:

'Screaming in lust from the concentrated spunk in my groins- blood, the Akalia started to wriggle out of its dirty jeans, still gagging on my bleeding junk. It let go only to suck in air, preparing to turn its centuries- dormant sexual organs into full rear end- rape stiffness.'

:yikes: :yikes:

Yessod posted:

Of course, on the downside, Swedish Dracula referenced "the lure of heroic fascism in Werewolf," and the two books he explicitly called out as needing to be updated and republished were ”Shoah: Charnel Houses of Europe” and ”Gypsies” (though in fairness he added that it "Should be called something like 'Opre Roma!' "), which makes me really nervous.

He also concluded with "Army of the Abandoned; the time has come to rise! Blood and Souls!", which based on my larping experience I can only assume was shouted loudly, while wearing a cloak, in a train station parking lot or empty mall food court.

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

FATAL-level rape stories and "heroic fascism". Terrific.

Oh well, at least there's still OPP...?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Heroic Fascism sounds like an FYAD irony name

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Empress Theonora posted:

Oh well, at least there's still OPP...?
Have you heard about Beast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Loomer posted:

Picture The Stand, only the Trashcan Man is a surviving and wyrm-eaten Ratkin (and so is the Ratman), Flagg is the avatar of a Maeljin Incarna with an army of Dancers, the survivors are Garou, kinfolk, and imbued, and there's a big dose of I Am Legend in the cities where vampires (mostly Nosferatu, Gangrel, and Ventrue survivors) wage war over the terrified remnant populations of disease survivors (largely Ghouls, Garou and Ratkin kinfolk, and a handful of lucky mortals) with the Ratkin and shambling packs of decaying Ratkin abominations scream their insane genocidal fury from the rooftops, hurling molotovs and improvised explosives at anything that strikes their ire while struggling to find the courage to just loving die.

I played in a longish ratkin campaign once and, while it was on the whole more heroic than this, it certainly did end in a cluster-gently caress of explosions, fire, and cackling insanity.

God, that was a good campaign.