Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's really fun to play with the world generator mod, but my laptop is still too weak to generate a proper mega world of 16,000x,5,000. Best I can manage is about a 9x5 if the sliders are tweaked just right and it doesn't crash on the 20 things that make it hang every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can't mine with the smart cursor. Worthless trash uninstalling now :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Every time I transition between areas, the game locks up so hard that Steam itself crashes. So I think STW is kinda hosed right now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

You can't mine with the smart cursor. Worthless trash uninstalling now :v:
Maybe STW required you to level something up before that works?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

Maybe STW required you to level something up before that works?

nah, it just has a really silly mining system that doesn't actually remove the ore, which confuses the smart cursor. The ore just changes colors and you have to wait a while for it to change back. All I can think the whole time is "how I mine for fish?"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Actual trip report: have you ever felt that playing a large map solo wasn't nearly huge or empty enough and have you ever thought that grinding out a ton of copper so you can grind out iron so you can grind out silver so you can then grind out combat so the silver gear is actually better than iron, then this is the mod for you.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I had enough of that bullshit in actual MMOs, so I guess mission loving accomplished?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

terraria seems like a very poor choice of platform for a thing like that

maybe starbound might work, but eh

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

My favorite part was when I did a quest and my reward was the ability to pay silver per use of not even fast travel but just a local shortcut on a small part of one map. Or the part where I had to run across 2 huge maps (thankfully they gave me hermes boots for this) and then search a sprawling ~6 floor castle that easily spanned the surface of a medium map for npc to turn in the next quest. Or maybe it's the millions of containers with nothing in them.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 1, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Yeah, STW really gets "it" wrong about what makes Terraria adventure maps fun.

Though to be fair, many map makers don't understand it either. I really hate that The Story of Red Cloud became "literally Dark Souls but in Terraria" because early iterations of that map were fun. The guy who made it understood good level design for the most part, and doled out rewards at a good pace. He just had no idea how to properly balance bosses, so you wound up with bullshit like the Four Fiends, or the weird endgame bosses that were almost three times as hard as anything else, and had poorly thought out enrage mechanics.

Or you have map makers that do weird crap like that map I posted about last year, where their whole shtick was fiendish and terrible jumping puzzles. Ex 1 and Ex 2. The first example you had to cling to the walls, and flipping the switch changed which ones were actuated. So you had to jump back and forth across the pit, flip the switch on the way over, and grab the wall on the other side. You also, for whatever reason, couldn't grab the bricks pictured. That second example especially sticks out because the whole thing was based around blind jumping into wall clinging, and only the green surfaces were safe. Touch a red one and you took about 30HP of damage and fell down and had to do it again.

I'd love to play a good adventure map, but it seems they're too few and far in between.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So, are there any actually good Terraria mod? One that doesn't seem terrible is this one.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ali Aces posted:

"Don't play on expert your first time" is really the right answer (is that what you meant, or have you run normally before?). However, if you insist on continuing, I'd recommend heading to hell and crafting a set of molten armor and the molten fury, along with a ton of the highest-damaging arrows you can get, not sure what that'd be at that point... hellfire?

Molten armor doesn't provide a ranged bonus but you'll probably want the defense more.

Also, show the guide a bottle of water and look over the available potions. Set up some pots and plants for a potion farm if you haven't already.

Edit: Oh wait, you haven't done Brain yet, either? Whatever ranged weapon you can get from popping hearts in the crimson then, along with potions. You are expected to be running potions.

I had no idea you could craft potions... I'm actually being serious on that. God drat it would have made things so much easier than playing bullet hell extreme death edition all the time.

I reinstalled terraria to give the super terraria world mod a shot. An hour in and I feel like I'm playing some wierd lovely old school RPG with a lot of potential. I'll keep trucking along and see if it gets better.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
... what did you think all those herbs and spices were for?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

I don't know.. I just sold them all or put them in pots and vases.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

grimcreaper posted:

I don't know.. I just sold them all or put them in pots and vases.
if something says Material, hand it to the Guide and he'll tell you what you can make out of it.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

All I can think the whole time is "how I mine for fish?"

Play Factorio.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Zereth posted:

if something says Material, hand it to the Guide and he'll tell you what you can make out of it.

To be fair, it wasn't always that easy

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Xenaero posted:

Hell even the actual pieces of advice the Guide gives you aside from being the crafting dictionary are much improved.

And remember when NPCs didn't try to stay inside in their rooms at night and would just wander around opening doors and letting zombies in?

I still build my NPC housing above ground level with no external-facing doors because of that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

Hell even the actual pieces of advice the Guide gives you aside from being the crafting dictionary are much improved.

And remember when NPCs didn't try to stay inside in their rooms at night and would just wander around opening doors and letting zombies in?

I still build my NPC housing above ground level with no external-facing doors because of that.

I build the glorious people's wooden platform hell since they keep patching out infinite houses

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

I build the glorious people's wooden platform hell since they keep patching out infinite houses

I give them actual rooms, separated by a three wide space consisting of a platform, an empty block, and another platform between the doors. Keeps them from wandering too much, but I still have space to put chests in their rooms to keep things like the dye collection so I know where it is.

I was gonna take a picture but I loaded up my world and was reminded that it's currently experiencing a solar eclipse.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Xenaero posted:

Prior to the recent playthrough where I killed the new final boss, the last time I played was probably a few years ago. In terms of a serious playthrough anyway. I think the then final boss was the wall of flesh.

I would occasionally dick around with a mod here and there but those never lasted more than a few hours at best.

Zereth posted:

Good to know. Thanks! Too bad I beat the moonlord with only the potions I found. Crafting some potions would have made it less nerve wrecking for sure.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Kentucky Fried Chicken

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Since discovering that tModLoader has a built in mod downloader, I've begun work on a new world:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=774641095

I may be taking this too seriously.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Call me when you finish the glowing mushroom farm on the ceiling of that tunnel. :suicide:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Oh that's way done, it grows way more mushrooms than I need. The tunnel across the whole world is done, but I need to put some tracks from the subway up to the surface at various points. Also need a sky rail up to the floating lake island.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I always build subways... I find digging them relaxing. Unless I pick the wrong depth and run into altars.

Anyone know what the patch that just rolled out did? Probably just a bugfix I assume but what bugs?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Looks like it was mainly performance issues with blizzards and sandstorms

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/pc-1-3-3-changelog.48916/page-24#post-1107712

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Built a better building than my usual prison block.

Not satisfied with the staircase areas and its not fully furnished but this is far beyond what I've ever done before. Still need a big tower on the right side but I need a break from building.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Recently re-installed this and had a lot of fun playing an Expert world up to activating hard-mode again. I had good luck with drops and found Yoyos to be a lot more useful than I remembered. Then I hit the brick wall that is the mechanical bosses three-shotting me through the best gear I can scrounge and remembered a good deal of why I got frustrated with the game before.

Maybe someday I'll have the patience to build some more giant, over-engineered arenas and farm a few dozen fish for buff potions to get further, if I ever have a week straight I feel I can afford to spend just not working or doing anything else at all. It's incredible to me that despite all the interesting content additions, the game still insists that the only viable answer to most progression challenges is 'build a big loving arena to completely trivialize a given specific boss, or die horribly'. I just never found arena design to be all that entertaining. I especially hate hunting for all the components to build one properly, in particular heart statues. Unfortunately, I also am even worse at videogames than I was just a couple of years ago, so I'm afraid dash-running and a set of wings isn't going to carry me very far on their own. Que sera sera. :)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

An arena is just a flat area with platforms that you can maneuver between with campfires and heart-lanterns set up so you always have one of each on screen. Heart statues are helpful but not necessary. The Destroyer is easily cheesed with a Stormbow, The Twins are usually kited using a gravitational potion so an arena isn't really useful there.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
As stated, I'm apparently steadily getting worse at actually, ya know, doing things in games in general. It took quite a while to initially destroy the Wall (and a carefully arranged platform which extends literally the ENTIRE WORLD [and the destruction of nearly 600 hellbats why the gently caress won't they stop spawning I got desperate and lined about a third of the hellpath with Sunflowers and that actually cut spawns down enough to not run into them constantly during the fight]), and my first exploratory attempts against Destroyer and the Twins met very rapidly with dismal results. I recall from past experience that it's possible to build around inadequate dodging, but I guess I'm slow at that too. :v:

Gear is probably not the main issue. Frost Armor, a Stormbow, an Amarok or whatever the hardmode Ice Yoyo is, and a clockwork rifle with Crystal and Ichor bullets along with min-maxed gear modifiers outputs a LOT of damage. The rifle was my plan against the Twins for the debuff and the ability to keep distance from them when they're charging, and the way the piddly 'arena' I'd built was set up the Amarok was actually my plan against Destroyer (with the rifle as backup if necessary; reading up to make sure I'm up to date suggests the Destroyer can't be debuffed anyways and the lower damage is a problem against Expert defense levels), but I'll admit to mostly just flubbing my initial dodge to get him in position under the platform. My go-to before was the Titanium(?) armor, with the innate dodge buff which made a big difference to an old slow git like myself, so if/when I give it another shot I'll probably just go with that instead for a little more survivability.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Wait... people build elaborate arenas?

Have I been doing things even more wrong? I build 1 dirt floor with 2 platform jump points and that's it...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

That's pretty much all I do, plus a campfire, heart lanterns and a place to hang banners.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If I'm really feeling cheeky I'll crack out the heart statues but otherwise a few stacks of wood platforms up in the air somewhere is good enough for me.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I used to be very lazy about them like that, but now that I'm out of practice and don't really feel like playing for the excessive time necessary to git gud, the slightly more economical answer is more elaborate arenas, yes.

Or to stop playing on Expert difficulty (or at least admit I'm terrible enough to farm up some gear on a Normal map), but then how would I experience the fun of all these drops I can't make use of? :v:

I grant you, when I played before I never did beat Fishron. poo poo was out of my league entirely. I'm just really bad at Terraria.

E: Thinking on it I should probably look up videos sometime of other people playing. I've always been fascinated hearing people talk about Expert hard mode as if it was trivial, when that's never remotely been my experience.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 9, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I used to be very lazy about them like that, but now that I'm out of practice and don't really feel like playing for the excessive time necessary to git gud, the slightly more economical answer is more elaborate arenas, yes.

Or to stop playing on Expert difficulty (or at least admit I'm terrible enough to farm up some gear on a Normal map), but then how would I experience the fun of all these drops I can't make use of? :v:

I grant you, when I played before I never did beat Fishron. poo poo was out of my league entirely. I'm just really bad at Terraria.

E: Thinking on it I should probably look up videos sometime of other people playing. I've always been fascinated hearing people talk about Expert hard mode as if it was trivial, when that's never remotely been my experience.

Expert hardmode is all about never touching the ground and knowing where to grab good poo poo fast. It all goes downhill after Plantera because the available gear still scales up faster than the bosses do.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Maybe more has changed about the game than I realized. I'd stopped playing regularly before Fishron was introduced, if memory serves, and briefly came back to try and deal with him (and failed). At that time the meta, as it were, seemed to be either mandatory multiplayer or building a giant boring arena out of Lihzard traps to farm the holiday-themed events, which was my dumbass plan that took forever (but did eventually get me most/all available gear). Everything after Plantera was a slog, and there wasn't much of it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Maybe more has changed about the game than I realized. I'd stopped playing regularly before Fishron was introduced, if memory serves, and briefly came back to try and deal with him (and failed). At that time the meta, as it were, seemed to be either mandatory multiplayer or building a giant boring arena out of Lihzard traps to farm the holiday-themed events, which was my dumbass plan that took forever (but did eventually get me most/all available gear). Everything after Plantera was a slog, and there wasn't much of it.

The holiday events and Fishron are mostly (but not entirely) obsolete. After killing plantera you have Golem, new drops in solar eclipses, the UFO invasion (which is easy to cheese and has amazing drops) and then the big final event that lets you put together some ridiculous weapons before you even finish it. UFO drops are on a whole different level from earlier gear and the stuff you craft in the finale is even better.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 9, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I wish there was a way to permanently disable the smart cursor from block placement. It never does anything relevant and gets me killed every time I need to throw up a quick shelter while I'm digging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

got back into this game after not having played for a few months. things are different now. here's the weird wood castle thing i ended up with after playing just a little bit

should really have put some more of that fence on the roof or something at least, looks bad, but i'm thinking i'll build directly up for subsequent rooms rather than horizontally and just make a bigass tower for my base

e: probably the most fun start i ever had was when it put me in a snow biome and my base became a bunch of rustic log cabins above ground and a series of circular 'igloos' below. that was right after the snow biome got put in i think. i don't have any pictures of that though and unfortunately that world is lost to the mists of time.

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 13, 2016