Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

The battle between "in the future, no one would feel the need to cover their hair" and "in the future, no one is judged for their beliefs" would cause the universe to implode.

"Uh, the Starship Potempkin or whatever got flung to the far corner of the galaxy last week and proved your god was a member of an ancient race of incredibly advanced aliens. Your beliefs are objectively wrong, sorry"

*Ensign Ricky dejectedly removes religious adornments*

If anything DS9's stories were affirmative of my atheism, just because crazy poo poo happens doesn't mean you should get down on your knees and start grovelling to things you can't explain no matter how often it's said that's where "your people's strength!" comes from when you know drat well it's the repeated terrorist attacks that are driving the Cardie bastards off your world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I can't wait for these idiots to be pounded into legal oblivion. That said, I can't believe how much joy they continue to bring me on a near-monthly basis by being the world's most childish defendants. It's absolutely astonishing how far they've buried their heads in the sand.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Maybe we could decompress the main shuttlebay. Blow ourselves off course.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tighclops posted:

"Uh, the Starship Potempkin or whatever got flung to the far corner of the galaxy last week and proved your god was a member of an ancient race of incredibly advanced aliens. Your beliefs are objectively wrong, sorry"

*Ensign Ricky dejectedly removes religious adornments*

If anything DS9's stories were affirmative of my atheism, just because crazy poo poo happens doesn't mean you should get down on your knees and start grovelling to things you can't explain no matter how often it's said that's where "your people's strength!" comes from when you know drat well it's the repeated terrorist attacks that are driving the Cardie bastards off your world

This would be great for a comedy sci Fi show.

"I'm spacebyterian."
"Oh, sorry, just last week we met your God and he said he made the whole thing up."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

"I'm spacebyterian."
"Oh, sorry, just last week we met your God and he said he made the whole thing up."

I don't remember all of Futurama but that sounds familiar.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

"I'm spacebyterian."

I'm pretty sure that was Stargate

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

LividLiquid posted:

Maybe we could decompress the main shuttlebay. Blow ourselves off course.

If we engage the forward tractor beam, we might be able to deflect the lack of a god and keep it from colliding with the thread.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tighclops posted:

I'm pretty sure that was Stargate

Apparently they wanted to do some "abrahamic" related stuff but it's one thing to say that Egyptian and various other ancient mostly no longer practiced religions were started by alien hitlers, but it would cause an outrage to touch any currently popular or fussy religions. So they went with norse stuff and Merlin.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm surprised that TOS was able to say "There aren't any gods anymore" in the 60s.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The last evil fake gods they met (I keep thinking they were called the Pah wraiths but I know that isn't right) were pretty explicitly based on puritanical Christianity. They even had monks and a crusade.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Cojawfee posted:

I'm surprised that TOS was able to say "There aren't any gods anymore" in the 60s.

Yeah its cool but but theres also stuff like when Kirk says "one God is enough for us" to Apollo and theres a few other mentions that I assume were forced in by the network because they really don't gel with the whole feeling of the show beforehand.

Also I just saw the episode with Lucifer in it from TAS and he was just a top bloke all round, the crew basically considered the idea that he might be the Biblical Lucifer just to be of minor interest.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm actually pretty shocked a cartoon from what, the early 70s, was able to have an episode saying satan is good and anyone who says he's bad is some superstitious primitive idiot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

I'm actually pretty shocked a cartoon from what, the early 70s, was able to have an episode saying satan is good and anyone who says he's bad is some superstitious primitive idiot.

Well, it was the same decade Marvel published a comic called Son of Satan.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Apparently they wanted to do some "abrahamic" related stuff but it's one thing to say that Egyptian and various other ancient mostly no longer practiced religions were started by alien hitlers, but it would cause an outrage to touch any currently popular or fussy religions. So they went with norse stuff and Merlin.

Yeah but like Baka-nin pointed out they rolled that stuff in with the abrahamic Ori. Of course iirc they had a nice little after-school special scene at the end of their introductory episodes with the main characters all pontificating around a table that just because the Ori were higher-evolved superbeings and the Goa'uld were behind basically every other earth based religion (including Satan and at one point a 90's cultist) didn't mean there wasn't really some even higher power directing all that and then everybody shuffled their feet and looked around awkwardly

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Then you've got amazing poo poo like Ridley Scott saying Jesus was a giant alien who came to earth to spread the ultimate wisdom but was crucified for it

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Stargate also had that fuckhead senator say 100% unironically "God will save the American people" when an invasion fleet was coming to Earth in Season One and everyone else just rolled their eyes and couldn't believe this idiot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tighclops posted:

Yeah but like Baka-nin pointed out they rolled that stuff in with the abrahamic Ori. Of course iirc they had a nice little after-school special scene at the end of their introductory episodes with the main characters all pontificating around a table that just because the Ori were higher-evolved superbeings and the Goa'uld were behind basically every other earth based religion (including Satan and at one point a 90's cultist) didn't mean there wasn't really some even higher power directing all that and then everybody shuffled their feet and looked around awkwardly

Reminds me of when Percy Jackson, after finding out he's the son of Poseidon, asked if God with a Capital G exist and got back an "ehh, maybe? Now let us never dwell on that subject again".

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Though Stargate did actually depict a currently worshiped deity as an alien menace.

This is Amaterasu the goddess of the sun, still a very important God in the Shinto religion. Take that Theologians!

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Having seen only about half of both shows, what's generally considered more "anti" Star Trek: Farscape or Babylon 5

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

WickedHate posted:

Reminds me of when Percy Jackson, after finding out he's the son of Poseidon, asked if God with a Capital G exist and got back an "ehh, maybe? Now let us never dwell on that subject again".

I was most on board with the Dark Materials trilogy until they were all :smug: "the One True God is just a gust of wind and can be scattered into nothingness with ease." :smug:

Unsurprisingly, it got worse from there.

nerdman42 posted:

Having seen only about half of both shows, what's generally considered more "anti" Star Trek: Farscape or Babylon 5

Farscape by far.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

nerdman42 posted:

I'd say Farscape, it takes a lot of Star Trekky stuff and then goes in a completely different direction. Rampant mistrust between characters, lack of instantaneous travel, siding with villains... Babylon 5, however, seems like it was trying to be a nearer-future Trek series in many ways.

The one thing that Farscape definitely shares with Star Trek is APPARENTLY YOU CAN'T KEEP ANYONE OFF THE GODDAMNED SHIP

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

nerdman42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-pm8uxw1MM

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Makes sense. In what I've seen of Babylon, the filler episodes have a feeling of "look how edgy and not Star Trek we are" by killing a child or whatever.

But Farscape was definitely opposite Star Trek.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Stargate's anti-religious philosophy was thick. Whether it was mind controlling snakes or ACTUAL ascended gods, the moral of the plots was always "You don't need gods telling you what to do. Stop putting your faith in them."

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Pwnstar posted:

Yeah its cool but but theres also stuff like when Kirk says "one God is enough for us" to Apollo and theres a few other mentions that I assume were forced in by the network because they really don't gel with the whole feeling of the show beforehand.

Also I just saw the episode with Lucifer in it from TAS and he was just a top bloke all round, the crew basically considered the idea that he might be the Biblical Lucifer just to be of minor interest.

Hilariously, that episode exists because NBC shot down a previous script where the crew meets God. "But they can hang out with Satan, right?" "Sure!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

The battle between "in the future, no one would feel the need to cover their hair" and "in the future, no one is judged for their beliefs" would cause the universe to implode.

Put in an Islamic man wearing a headscarf, make everyone angry.

Serious answer: there's no way they'll have a woman in a hijab, but having a Sikh woman with a hair covering would be a good little side reminder that you shouldn't assume situations when you see a headscarf, and Sikh head coverings are gender-equal enough they still fit the Starfleet future. Plus the US Army has an official Sikh turban uniform so anyone who complains is unpatriotic. :colbert:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 1, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would give anything for the first episode to have a man in a full burka who winks into the camera.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's still CBS, so none of this will ever happen no matter how hard Fuller may fight for it. It's the same reason you can pretty much guarantee the gay character will be a woman.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A hijab or similar seems entirely accomplishable given established practice for various aliens in the series, although I imagine it would need to match the starfleet togs of the day.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So I've been rewatching DS9, and Way of the Warrior is still real good, y'all.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Baka-nin posted:

Though Stargate did actually depict a currently worshiped deity as an alien menace.

This is Amaterasu the goddess of the sun, still a very important God in the Shinto religion. Take that Theologians!
What does God need with a corset?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Nessus posted:

A hijab or similar seems entirely accomplishable given established practice for various aliens in the series, although I imagine it would need to match the starfleet togs of the day.

Didn't Amanda already wear one or something similar in TOS and ST4? It's not like its a stretch or anything. The real question is if they would ever address a characters religion on camera unless it was important to a plot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MrJacobs posted:

Didn't Amanda already wear one or something similar in TOS and ST4? It's not like its a stretch or anything. The real question is if they would ever address a characters religion on camera unless it was important to a plot.

She wore something similar, but it was clearly a piece of ~*~Vulcan Fashion~*~, not an Islamic covering.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

MikeJF posted:

She wore something similar, but it was clearly a piece of ~*~Vulcan Fashion~*~, not an Islamic covering.

Outside of aliens has any human crew member wore religious or cultural symbols upon their uniform? It would seem that many of the old religons died off during the Eugenics Wars or WW3 when most of the population was wiped out. Has there been any kind of human based religion front and center in any of the series?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MrJacobs posted:

Outside of aliens has any human crew member wore religious or cultural symbols upon their uniform? It would seem that many of the old religons died off during the Eugenics Wars or WW3 when most of the population was wiped out. Has there been any kind of human based religion front and center in any of the series?

I think the closest is the wedding chapel+genuflecting in Balance of Terror.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Riker told Ro to take her jewelry off because religious stuff isn't appropriate on the bridge or whatever. Not really what you're asking for but it seems to capture what the human view on religion is for the most part. Aside from "oh coochi moya, I am far from the racist stereotypes of my ancestors, please grant me safe passage as me smokem peace pipe and go on a vision quest to learn about the rubber tree people."

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Riker told Ro to take her jewelry off because religious stuff isn't appropriate on the bridge or whatever. Not really what you're asking for but it seems to capture what the human view on religion is for the most part. Aside from "oh coochi moya, I am far from the racist stereotypes of my ancestors, please grant me safe passage as me smokem peace pipe and go on a vision quest to learn about the rubber tree people."

I see your point, but that wasn't an Earth based religon, and a stupid scene since Worf has an extra 15lbs of metal over his uniform all the time. I was just wondering if they really showed any kind of earth based religion in detail in the series or if things just evolved differently since WW3 and first contact.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ro brought that up immediately and riker didn't really have anything to rebut it, so she got to wear her earring. The only earth religion in 90s trek was Chakotay's fake native crap as far as I can tell.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MrJacobs posted:

I see your point, but that wasn't an Earth based religon, and a stupid scene since Worf has an extra 15lbs of metal over his uniform all the time. I was just wondering if they really showed any kind of earth based religion in detail in the series or if things just evolved differently since WW3 and first contact.

Now I'm imagining Riker walking around for years pissed at Worf but not wanting to get sucked into some Klingon honor dual over the sash... and then here comes Ro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

MrJacobs posted:

Do they ever explain Worf's sash? Are those his Klingon Scout merit badges?