Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In Flames were never nearly as good as Opeth and their worst is roughly a million times worse than Mikael trying out 70s prog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Barrow Wight album sounds real cool if you like Venom or Amebix in your heavy metal https://heavychainsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/kings-in-saurons-service

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

After hearing the new Eternal Champion album this week, I've determined that all metal albums over the last 30 years have pretty much been doing it wrong. Praise Crom and death to all false metal!

that album is quite good although there's been some other good trad metal albums this year too, like Demon Bitch or Angel Sword. The new Agatus sounds very promising from the preview tracks as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAQ6kb5oNXk

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

A human heart posted:

The Barrow Wight album sounds real cool if you like Venom or Amebix in your heavy metal https://heavychainsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/kings-in-saurons-service

Automatic 10/10 just for naming a track "No Sleep Till Gondor"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
in league with sauron gets a

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
on the trad/power metal tip, someone at ye olde metal-archives posted this link in the recommendations subforum; it's a seven page thread, mostly by an old school graybeard metal dude, linking dozens of obscure USPM demos and albums from the 80s:
http://www.thrashunlimited.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13896

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Ulio posted:

I haven't listened to Opeth in a while but the new In Flames is atrocious even the video is awful and cringeworthy. Sucks because In Flames first album and EP are some of my favorite pieces of music.

It's funny because Anders (the singer) said in an interview something along the lines of, "Fans think that every album we've released is the new worst album ever and have been saying it since The Jester Race" BECAUSE IT'S TRUE

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the debate about what the last good in flames album always creates an inescapable death spiral

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Reroute to Remain was the first album of the poo poo era.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

muike posted:

the debate about what the last good in flames album always creates an inescapable death spiral
I disagree, it's a debate about an inescapable death spiral.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i'm really happy to have been a part of this

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Minto Took posted:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ulio posted:

I haven't listened to Opeth in a while but the new In Flames is atrocious even the video is awful and cringeworthy. Sucks because In Flames first album and EP are some of my favorite pieces of music.

Lunar strain is just your generic death metal record and if In Flames had kept doing that we would be saying "In flames", oh that is a band I have never heard of.

What started me on In Flames was the incorporation of Swedish folk music into death metal, which made the whole thing become more melodic.
And yeah, Reroute to Remain is poo poo since it threw out a lot of the things that made In flames great in Jester Race, Whoracle and Colony.
Clayman is their best album and it is also the record where we start seeing the transition into what they are today.
They still make some good songs, but their creative highpoint was passed long ago.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Cardiac posted:

Clayman is their best album and it is also the record where we start seeing the transition into what they are today.
I went back through their early discography recently, and honestly, Clayman was probably the least forgettable of their first five albums IMO. Even Lunar Strain grabbed my attention more.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Minto Took posted:

Kind of agree but there are songs on that album that I enjoy. The album after that(Quiet Place?) was complete garbage but Come Clarity owns and I will defend that album to the bitter end. I remember the album after Come Clarity being completely bland and lost interest somewhat after.

Edit: Been listening to a lot of Dolving-era Haunted recently and man was he a great singer in his prime. Definitly one of the best in metal from 2003-2011.

Dolving Haunted Best Haunted.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Chromatic posted:

Edit: Been listening to a lot of Dolving-era Haunted recently and man was he a great singer in his prime. Definitly one of the best in metal from 2003-2011.

Nah, Marco Aros era was also pretty good (he is btw back as singer in the Haunted).
The albums with Dolving were pretty awesome since you could hear the craziness of Dolving in the songs.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

the new darkthrone album sounds better than the last four or five. i never really gave the underground resistance a chance though since the previous three albums really soured me on the band

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Chromatic posted:

Kind of agree but there are songs on that album that I enjoy. The album after that(Quiet Place?) was complete garbage but Come Clarity owns and I will defend that album to the bitter end. I remember the album after Come Clarity being completely bland and lost interest somewhat after.

Soundtrack to Your Escape had a couple good songs, as did Reroute to Remain. They're sort of like Load and Reload from Metallica; if you took the handful of good songs from each you'd have one decent album, and another slightly larger album of completely unmemorable songs.

Come Clarity was great though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Reroute to Remain was probably the first album I got into that brought me into the mix of underground metal with great riffs and harsh vocals so I can't hate it. Up until then there wasn't a lot that challenged my ears like that. Back then I didn't have any real sources for finding out what was "good" so in that bubble it was very unique to me and helped break me in for the future.

Anyway Winter's Gate AOTY

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
The Underground Resistance it's loving great

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Flinger posted:

Cool-rear end king diamond retro shirt, shipping to europe $15 and it wouldn't even arrive for halloween just kill me now

Nothing as Metal as reacting to clothes like a suburban 13 year old girl would

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Non Serviam posted:

metal fashion is serious business

final round of MDF bands announced:

Candlemass (Sweden) - Nightfall set
Tiamat (Sweden) - Exclusive U.S. appearance!
Grave (Sweden) - Exclusive U.S. appearance!
Root (Czech Republic) - Exclusive U.S. appearance!
Oranssi Pazuzu (Finland)
Acheron
GosT
Samothrace
Occultist
Mother Brain
loving Invincible
Organ Dealer <-- seen em before, cool grindcore from my home state of NJ
Junior Bruce
Myxoma
Flash Out
Night Raids
Disparo (Australia)

Full list of confirmed bands:

Acheron
Acid King
Akercocke (UK)
Autopsy
Batushka (Poland)
Behexen (Finland)
Birdflesh (Sweden)
Brodequin
Captain Cleanoff (Australia)
Candlemass (Sweden) - Nightfall set
Chepang
Cognitive
Conan (UK)
Crud
Cryptopsy (Canada)
Decrepit Birth
Die Choking
Disparo (Australia)
Dopethrone
Embalmer
Encoffination
English Dogs (UK)
Ex Dementia
Exhumed
Exumer (Germany)
Father Befouled
Fiend
Fissure
Flash Out
loving Invincible
Genocide Pact
Goolagoon
Goratory
Gorgasm
GosT
Grave (Sweden)
Insect Warfare
In The Woods... (Norway)
Iron Lung
Junior Bruce
Kerasphorus
Macabre
Malignancy
Meth Leppard (Australia)
Morbid Angel
Morbid Saint
Mother Brain
Myxoma
Necropsy (Finland)
Nightbringer
Night Raids
Nordjevel (Norway)
Occultist
October Tide (Sweden)
Oranssi Pazuzu (Finland)
Organ Dealer
P.L.F.
Root (Czech Republic)
Samothrace
Sargeist (Finland)
Skeletal Remains
Siege
Stormtroopers of Beer - Official S.O.D. cover band featuring Dan Lilker and Jocke & Adde/General Surgery
SubRosa
Suppression
Terrorizer (World Downfall set)
Tiamat (Sweden)
Torture Rack
Usurper
UxDxS (Denmark)
Vader (Poland)
War Master
Wormrot (Singapore)

seems like a decent mix of everything, still sucks we won't be outside but hopefully that means I don't have to miss out on as many bands

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Damnit. I was really hoping that Dismember would have been on it. I find it kind of funny that Acheron is on the bill since Vincent Crowley has bitched non-stop about how they don't get proper recognition in America, therefore never playing live again and just making it a studio band.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Damnit. I was really hoping that Dismember would have been on it. I find it kind of funny that Acheron is on the bill since Vincent Crowley has bitched non-stop about how they don't get proper recognition in America, therefore never playing live again and just making it a studio band.

Did I miss Dismember getting back together?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Henchman of Santa posted:

Well, at the time it said that they were rejoining in order to sell official merchandise and be more active on social media, but it never said anything about not playing or making new music. It was just a fleeting hope I had that I'd be able to cross them off of my bucket list.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

New Asphyx is out today and it is heavy as a motherfucker.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

I was drinking beer and disliking minorities while posting so its ok

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Flinger posted:

I was drinking beer and disliking minorities while posting so its ok
You think metal is about disliking minorities?

gently caress off dude. If you think is so bad, we can do without you.

Signed, a Latin American.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

You think metal is about disliking minorities?

gently caress off dude. If you think is so bad, we can do without you.

Signed, a Latin American.

That guy is clearly making a joke, but it doesn't really make sense to include all Latin American people as minorities when there's plenty who are white, and many who are racist, like all the NS bands from that part of the world for example. Latin American as a specific group opposed to white is really a US thing.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Cardiac posted:

Nah, Marco Aros era was also pretty good (he is btw back as singer in the Haunted).
The albums with Dolving were pretty awesome since you could hear the craziness of Dolving in the songs.

I always found Marco one dimensional whereas with Dolving he could do a bit of everything with conviction and crazy emotion attached. Definitely added a ton more to the music imo

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Guys I headbanged to a Pantera song, am I a racist?

Actually it just means I have a poor taste in music and that I can divest the political beliefs of the singer with the actual music.

Unless the singer is Dave Mustaine, and then I just weep at his Infowars lyrics and yearn for the day when he shot up heroin and wrote Satanic lyrics.

Dave Mustaine is truly the great tragedy of metal.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Speaking of bands getting back together, Diocletian have reformed with a new line up.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

Lunar strain is just your generic death metal record and if In Flames had kept doing that we would be saying "In flames", oh that is a band I have never heard of.

What started me on In Flames was the incorporation of Swedish folk music into death metal, which made the whole thing become more melodic.
And yeah, Reroute to Remain is poo poo since it threw out a lot of the things that made In flames great in Jester Race, Whoracle and Colony.
They still make some good songs, but their creative highpoint was passed long ago.

I mean I liked their other albums other the first few but those are the most memorable for me. Maybe it was because one of the first death metal bands I listened to. But I really remember listening to Lunar Strain and Jester Race on repeat for like a month straight. Of their recent albums only thing I've remember listening more than once is Come Clarity.

Cure for Optimism
Dec 31, 2005

Outside a path to knowledge
Inside a waste of cells
You should all be listening to the new Torture Chain.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

A human heart posted:

Speaking of bands getting back together, Diocletian have reformed with a new line up.

*Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor happy yet surprised grunt*

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Hulk Krogan posted:

New Asphyx is out today and it is heavy as a motherfucker.

It's loving awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFaiGiWcyY8

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Vargatron posted:

Unless the singer is Dave Mustaine, and then I just weep at his Infowars lyrics and yearn for the day when he shot up heroin and wrote Satanic lyrics.

Dave Mustaine is truly the great tragedy of metal.

Is he supporting Trump yet? I know the guitar player of Five Finger Death Punch spoke in favor of Trump some months ago, but I don't think anyone else went off the deep end like that.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Non Serviam posted:

Is he supporting Trump yet? I know the guitar player of Five Finger Death Punch spoke in favor of Trump some months ago, but I don't think anyone else went off the deep end like that.

he's pretty much taken the both sides suck woe is us we're doomed tack

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

he's pretty much taken the both sides suck woe is us we're doomed tack

Well if he wants Megadeath, Trump should be the obvious choice.
That or Giant Meteor.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

These headlines at The Onion are getting weirdly specific