Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone know whether the watch's auto-unlock is limited to one Mac within a certain area? I managed to get my work iMac on the "auto-unlock with watch" thing, but the MBA right next to it HAD the checkbox but then disappeared? Everything seems ok on my watch (iCloud etc)

edit: oh nevermind, 2011 MBA not supported. That sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How robust and easy to use is the watch strap changing mechanism? I'm intending to buy a sport which i'll use day to day and also while running - and would prefer a different strap for each activity. Is the mechanism robust and easy enough that changing the strap a couple of times a day isn't a big deal?

Also, to touch on an earlier topic, I think i'm going to get the silver one rather than the black - i just think it'll be more flexible when pairing with other straps, even if the white silicon sport strap itll come with isnt one i particularly like.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

How robust and easy to use is the watch strap changing mechanism? I'm intending to buy a sport which i'll use day to day and also while running - and would prefer a different strap for each activity. Is the mechanism robust and easy enough that changing the strap a couple of times a day isn't a big deal?

Also, to touch on an earlier topic, I think i'm going to get the silver one rather than the black - i just think it'll be more flexible when pairing with other straps, even if the white silicon sport strap itll come with isnt one i particularly like.

I change mine just about every day. It takes 30 seconds, tops.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

You can get one with a nylon band and then get whatever sport band color you prefer.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Does nylon come with a sport band for free?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Endless Mike posted:

You can get one with a nylon band and then get whatever sport band color you prefer.

I was going to get the cheapest one - with the sport band - and then buy a couple of non-official straps. Hopefully somebody will do a rip-off nike strap soon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

Does nylon come with a sport band for free?
No. As far as I'm aware, only Hermes editions come with a free sport band. (A special ~Hermes Orange~ sport band!)

Pissflaps posted:

I was going to get the cheapest one - with the sport band - and then buy a couple of non-official straps. Hopefully somebody will do a rip-off nike strap soon.
The nylon band ones cost the same as the sport band ones and you can get knockoff sport bands for under $10. I'm not sure what colors of nylon bands they offer with watches, though.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

The nylon band ones cost the same as the sport band ones and you can get knockoff sport bands for under $10. I'm not sure what colors of nylon bands they offer with watches, though.

The knock offs on amazon don't feel as nice or have as good of fit. Keep that in mind.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Endless Mike posted:

No. As far as I'm aware, only Hermes editions come with a free sport band. (A special ~Hermes Orange~ sport band!)

Hmm I can only see the series 1 (which I'd be getting) available with the sports strap.

wooly
Jun 5, 2005

The price of Apple sports bands has shot up. I paid £29.00 for one last year through an EPP. Cheapest I can get an official Apple one is now £45.00.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe next time you won't vote to leave the EU and watch your currency valuation tank.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
If I want to use my bluetooth headphones with my Apple watch when I'm out running is there an easy way to toggle between the phone or watch with them or do I have to re-pair everytime I switch?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
If your headphones don't allow you to control that, you don't need to unpair from the phone, you can just disconnect in Bluetooth settings.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Oh sweet, very nice. Didn't realize that my headset had multi-pair functionality. I had to reboot my watch though as it wouldn't pair. That worked and now I'm on my way. Still not as clean of a handoff as I'd prefer (it only has Forget device as an option on the watch, not disconnect and I have to select connect after turning my headphones on, it won't auto connect) but I can deal with it!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Oh sweet, very nice. Didn't realize that my headset had multi-pair functionality. I had to reboot my watch though as it wouldn't pair. That worked and now I'm on my way. Still not as clean of a handoff as I'd prefer (it only has Forget device as an option on the watch, not disconnect and I have to select connect after turning my headphones on, it won't auto connect) but I can deal with it!

Not sure if this helps or not, but if you swipe up with watchos3, then swipe up on that to see what's at the bottom there's a thing that lets you choose your sound output. Not sure if selecting Apple Watch there would disconnect the bluetooth buds or not.

Also I don't know apple's terminology on this stuff so sorry if this is unclear.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

12 hours of activity and I'm at 48%. That's with a "workout mode" walk to and from work, sporadic time checking throughout the day, and that breathe thing before I got fed up and turned it off.

I'm pretty pumped. I was really busy today so I didn't get a chance to really put it through its paces, which is probably why I still have a lot of battery left.

So far my biggest complaint isn't even about the watch, it's that my AppleTV and my watch are on separate WiFi VLANs so I can't use it as a remote :\

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
http://watchaware.com/post/18206/speidel-brings-its-twist-o-flex-band-to-the-apple-watch

:smugmrgw:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My arm hair hurts just looking at those bands, but I'm sure my late grandfather would love them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:getin:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
On a random 3pm check of the Apple Store website, my desired Series 2 configuration showed up at my nearest store. (Previous quotes were early Nov.)

I threw it in the cart and now I'm wearing it. Very cool.

Now I've got 2 weeks to see if it improves my life in a meaningful and useful way... :)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hnnnnngh why don't they make this in black...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Finding some apps (like Home) are taking forever to connect or not connecting very well. Hope this gets snappier or whatever.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rage-saq posted:

The anecdotal evidence people will give you is that as you use the device you will become more natural using it and it will learn more about how you use it and optimize background tasks and you will see longer battery life.
I'm afraid it's only anecdotal but lots of people will tell you their first week or so with the AW saw an end of day battery charge of about 30% that turned into regularly being 60%.

I'm glad that's the case. I've been off the charger for 4 hours today and I'm still at 100%. I have no idea what's going on. I did, however, drain it to <10% late last night, so maybe a good full discharge did the calibration factor some good. (I also dropped it to minimum brightness, which may or may not be contributing to much better battery life.)

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Does anyone know of a way to control Spotify from the watch? There's apparently no Spotify app and Now Playing just triggers stuff from the stock Music app, even if I launch it while Spotify is playing on my phone.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

My first generation watch's battery life varies by a ridiculous amount. I barely use it throughout the day but sometimes it's about to die when I take it off and other times it has like 40% left.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Hey anyway to store podcasts like I can store music?

Also, why use a 3rd party running apps if you can't leave your phone behind when using them?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Best/most useful watch apps? Or did I miss it posted already? :)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Accessory chat, I bought this charger/stand thing:
https://www.amazon.com/Oittm-Nightstand-Charging-Station-Samsung/dp/B019SO9EHI

My main thing is that I wanted something I can take for travel without dealing with the long rear end puck cable...and didn't want to spend $80 or whatever for the nicer integrated puck w/lightning cable options. Plus with this thing it acts as a charger for other stuff too, so one less thing to carry (barring bringing more stuff and needing more USB ports).

There's no padding or anything if you're paranoid about that, just sits right on the plastic. Also I have the 42mm, no clue if the 38mm would have issues or not, I'm sure that'd be mentioned in the Amazon reviews if there's an issue (although there are a lot of "I received this for free" reviews so ehhh...). It's all powered by a figure 8 power cord that connects on the back.

The puck holder piece is detachable, so when packing I plan on pulling it out and just trying to lay it flat. Unfortunately you can't just put it back inside since the puck can't pass through the hole there.

If you've treated your cable nicely it should coil up inside easily enough, that's the longer original cable btw. It's not a huge space, but enough that I tossed in my wadded up Milanese loop and could fit in a short (like 8") lightning cable I have.

There's a little blue LED inside near the USB port, and visible here through the front USB port and a bit through the casing (kinda visible on top left). It's not too bad, but my bed stand is lower than my bed which helps. I'll probably try blocking it inside since the shining up through the casing is the main annoyance (and the USB port can be blocked enough by usage). There's also a gray/black version which is probably better in this regard.

And it hasn't burned down my house yet but it's only been a few nights. I charged my iPad and iPhone off of it too, but I don't know at what rate (probably in the Amazon description). I did see another branded version for about $2 less, and the first review mentioned it burning up so we'll see what happens there.

Feenix posted:

Best/most useful watch apps? Or did I miss it posted already? :)
Looking at my dock the only third party apps I have there are Messenger (drat those people) and Authy for two factor auth codes, although there's other apps that I'm thinking about to replace it. It only shows one code at a time but other apps seem to show a list/can show three at once or so. Otherwise the only third party complications I have are Heartwatch and Fantastical, although the latter still seems kindy buggy and slow to me, but that might have to do with reminder syncing in general.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My third party apps are Dark Sky, which needs no introduction; The Calculator, which is a free with ads calculator but I got it just for the watch app so no ads display there; the Hue app because sometimes Home has trouble connecting; my bank app which allows for quick transaction viewing; and Parcel which is just a shipment tracking app I'm trying out. I have Sleep Cycle++ too, but I think I'm giving up on sleeping with the watch until battery life improves.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel like the only watch app I WANT is one that will let me record my film camera settings when I take a photo (take a photo, flick my watch up, select shutter speed and aperture, hit submit, and then I can refer back to these settings if I want to know why a shot came out the way it did after I develop the roll). I can't find an app like that so I'll probably have to write one myself if I can find some time in the next month.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for the good suggestions and thoughts... might I ask? What is the need for, say, Dark Sky watch app when my iPhone has Dark Sky and so my watch notifies me. Oh is it so you can see actual better weather forecasts and stuff? (Than the stock weather app.)

Also I hear you on the needing Hue. I'll probably get that since so far (anecdotal history all of 24 hours, mind...) Home app on watch is blowful and slow (if it connects at all...)

[ed]
One more nooby question.. When I go to the AppleWatch App on my phone and then go to the Apps section, I go find like, Dark Sky or Hue and it says [Open] instead of [Get]. Presumably because I have the iPhone apps installed. So how do I get those on my watch?!

[Ed2] mm found it.

[Ed3] please tell me there's a way I can remove things like Stocks or weather app (stock)...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 2, 2016

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Dark sky complication is great, that's why. Lol if you use anything but modular on your infotainment watch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Feenix posted:

[Ed3] please tell me there's a way I can remove things like Stocks or weather app (stock)...

You can delete those on iOS 10 now so maybe deleting them on the phone will delete them on watch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Dark sky complication is great, that's why. Lol if you use anything but modular on your infotainment watch.
Activity analog for life

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can delete those on iOS 10 now so maybe deleting them on the phone will delete them on watch.

Doesn't appear so as weather is deleted on my iPhone but still present on my watch.

Also, I got Hue for my watch because Home never loaded but Hue had been "loading" since I installed it over an hour ago.

Hmmm.

[Ed] Hue finally sorted.

Hey so... best app if I just want updates on like one NFL team score?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 2, 2016

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

This.
Glance at your wrist, you have date, time, weather and more (calendar, email and timer)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
How do I store podcasts?

wooly
Jun 5, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

How do I store podcasts?

It involves iTunes. Good luck.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I picked up Just Press Record and it's pretty slick. Press the complication and it starts recording audio (and transcribing voice) then uploads to iCloud. If you keep it in the dock, recording is nearly instant.

I played with it at a loud concert last night and I'm actually really impressed with the microphone quality on my S2. Just hanging off my wrist, the results sound better than half the garbage bootlegs on Archive.org. Didn't totally murder my battery either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

I picked up Just Press Record and it's pretty slick. Press the complication and it starts recording audio (and transcribing voice) then uploads to iCloud. If you keep it in the dock, recording is nearly instant.

I played with it at a loud concert last night and I'm actually really impressed with the microphone quality on my S2. Just hanging off my wrist, the results sound better than half the garbage bootlegs on Archive.org. Didn't totally murder my battery either.

This sounds fully next level, thanks for the recommend.

• Locked thread