Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

LLSix posted:

Haley grows up a good deal in her higher heart events.

One of the fun things about Stardew Valley is the way we'll keep going round and round about things like this until the heat death of the universe, but: Haley doesn't grow up at all, she just sets her eye on the prize of the rich and rapidly growing richer farmer that every girl in town is after and adjusts her behavior accordingly.

Of course you could play the game such that you're not rich and then when Emily confides that Haley's always dreamed of marrying rich, it can be interpreted as "d'awww, you've made her see there's more precious things in life than money, she's all grown up! :3:" But suffice to say most of us are already rolling in Scrooge McDuck money by the time we get married in this game.

There's some character development with most of the marriageables (Alex realizing he's not going to make it big in sports, Leah gaining confidence enough to put her art out there, Sam living his musical dream) but none of them is anywhere near as sudden and jarring as Haley's total 180 from "Ewww, get away from me you filthy farmer" to "Haha I love rolling around in filth and dream of living on a farm now" when you get above 6 hearts, which is because it's not genuine :colbert:

And furthermore :words:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LLSix posted:

Haley grows up a good deal in her higher heart events.

It's why she's my waifu of choice. I like Penny and Leah, but Haley grows the most as you get to know her. Who cares if she can't open a jar of peanut butter, she's marrying the queen of the valley's agriculture and industry.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Haley should get a bonus heart if you're in the Joja camp

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Having your character get married in this game kinda makes me feel bad because it turns what were characters with interesting personalities into talking houseplants that dispense random items.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
do mods work in the 1.1 beta yet and is there still mods that make you run faster and also make fences not break over time?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Started off a new farm in 1.1. I had got about mid way through the game on my first play through, and I had the urge to restart and do things differently. My first crack at it was very sub-optimal. Now that 1.1 beta is out I can get started!

I went with the Forest Farm map, as it seemed like the one with the best overall mixture of features. There is a medium amount of farmland, but all of the space that is "wasted" can be filled with tree farms. There is also a medium amount of pond space for crab fishing. The water map and the mine map have better crap fishing potential, but the forest is definitely better than default! Best of all the Forest Map comes with a section that re-spawns hardwoods and seasonal forage every day! I don't know how fast the hardwood re-spawns, but there is several new forage there every day.

For a initial money scheme I went with an early fishing/parsnip combo. I fish until I am nearly exhausted, then sell the fish to buy as many Parsnip seeds as possible! The spa is locked this early in the game, so I have been eating forage mostly. I over plant my field, because I know crops don't die if you leave them unwatered (they just lose a day of growth). This way I can take maximum advantage of rainy days!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm pretty triggered by you misspelling crono's name

u could say i'm chrono triggered

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

i'm pretty triggered by you misspelling crono's name

u could say i'm chrono triggered

i'm hoping if i turn enough of my children into prismatic shards i can can craft the Rainbow Sword.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I feel terrible for asking this, but...

Does anyone know yet if you have to divorce your spouse before sacrificing your children? Because if not that's actually even more hosed than I imagined.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the two bits of functionality are completely separate, so no, you can just sneak out to the witch hut with a shard one day and come back with no shard and disappeared kids

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Rutibex posted:

i'm hoping if i turn enough of my children into prismatic shards i can can craft the Rainbow Sword.

Unfortunately, I think it's supposed to be the opposite. You PAY shards to dove the kids. Haven't actually checked, but that's what it sounds like.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Supremezero posted:

Unfortunately, I think it's supposed to be the opposite. You PAY shards to dove the kids. Haven't actually checked, but that's what it sounds like.

:(

That's really lame. You should have more options, like maybe save them in a preserve barrel? Or perhaps you could age them in the ageing cellar so they become teenagers who can farm for you.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Rutibex posted:

:(

That's really lame. You should have more options, like maybe save them in a preserve barrel? Or perhaps you could age them in the ageing cellar so they become teenagers who can farm for you.

You can already get slaves from the auto-harvest hut. Why would you need more?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well, it's not like you can get meat from the animals...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

WarpedNaba posted:

Well, it's not like you can get meat from the animals...

What do you think happens when you sell them.....

I like that the game doesn't make you clean up pig poo poo every day too, just "pay attention to them" :v:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Also, I'm grump. The beta will be released on Yankee Monday, which is NZ Tuesday. Right in the middle of my crunch week.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Gifting Demetrius a prism shard should activate a scene where he turns Sebastian into a dove.

E: Also of all the things for me to stray away from the river farm is that you can't grow any trees on the river banks, meaning an orchard is going to be extremely tiny. Maybe I can dedicate each island to a different fruit tree

Leal fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 1, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Leal posted:

Gifting Demetrius a prism shard should activate a scene where he turns Sebastian into a dove.

E: Also of all the things for me to stray away from the river farm is that you can't grow any trees on the river banks, meaning an orchard is going to be extremely tiny. Maybe I can dedicate each island to a different fruit tree

You can plant fruit trees anywhere, not just on your farm. Plant your orchard in the big open area south of the farm, and save space.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Rutibex posted:

You can plant fruit trees anywhere, not just on your farm. Plant your orchard in the big open area south of the farm, and save space.

Bug Fixes:

You can no longer plant fruit trees off the farm.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

Also, I'm grump. The beta will be released on Yankee Monday, which is NZ Tuesday. Right in the middle of my crunch week.

The beta is already out, it'll go to live on Monday. So if you want to, you can already play

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I wanna play the finished beta.

However, seeing as I've just got some bitchin' new headphones, maybe I'll buy the soundtrack.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

I've been romancing Leah, and I went into her shack during winter and talked to her, and she said something about drinking cider together and getting into bed :yayclod:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

all old memes are new posted:

I've been romancing Leah, and I went into her shack during winter and talked to her, and she said something about drinking cider together and getting into bed :yayclod:

Same. Leah seems like a good second wife after Abigail. She is very convenient to see every day on my route, and she likes dandelions which are cheap and plentiful in spring! From day one I have been giving her two presents a week (as well as Linus, I need him to give me that Samishi recipe ASAP). I can go give Leah a dandelion when ever I check on the weird pig cart or go to chop hardwood. Not as convenient as Abigail in Pierre's shop, but manageable!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 1, 2016

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Oh hey SMAPI updated for 1.1 already. Says that location mods are still buggy, but others are fine. Anyone else going to test it?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

"hey holmes i see you're hanging around my daughter a fair bit. that's cool. just understand that if you hurt her, not even death will save you from me. kthx."

It's worse than that, he wants you to understand that if you happen to hinder Maru's progress toward being a world-renowned roboticist, no fuckin' bean hotpot will save you from his wrath. He knows all about different poisons and pesticides, too, it wouldn't be hard for you to have accidentally dosed yourself with something really nasty while trying to get rid of a mite infestation on your farm.

Or at least, that's how I read it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

rotinaj posted:

It's worse than that, he wants you to understand that if you happen to hinder Maru's progress toward being a world-renowned roboticist, no fuckin' bean hotpot will save you from his wrath. He knows all about different poisons and pesticides, too, it wouldn't be hard for you to have accidentally dosed yourself with something really nasty while trying to get rid of a mite infestation on your farm.

Or at least, that's how I read it.

Clearly we must strike first.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Are there gay marriages in this?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Everyone is gay for the player.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yes. In fact the only impact your gender has on the game is a couple of lines of dialogue, mostly pronoun-related.

That and Leah has an ex-boyfriend or an ex-girlfriend.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yes. Everyone's bisexual and no one has any problem with it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

does anyone know yet what the harvest radius of the magical slave hut is

nm found it on the wiki:

"When placed the hut will have Junimos gather crops (including flowers) in the area around it when they're ready for harvest. Players can collect crops from the hut whenever they'd like.

Juminos will not collect crops in the rain.

They gather in a rectangular pattern: 7 spaces away horizontally(left and right) and 8 spaces away below 7 spaces away above."

so for planning purposes you can use a scarecrow in stardew.info and just chop off the top squares. might still make a dead zone but it'll be a good go at things.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 1, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Coolguye posted:

does anyone know yet what the harvest radius of the magical slave hut is

nm found it on the wiki:

"When placed the hut will have Junimos gather crops (including flowers) in the area around it when they're ready for harvest. Players can collect crops from the hut whenever they'd like.

Juminos will not collect crops in the rain.

They gather in a rectangular pattern: 7 spaces away horizontally(left and right) and 8 spaces away below 7 spaces away above."

so for planning purposes you can use a scarecrow in stardew.info and just chop off the top squares. might still make a dead zone but it'll be a good go at things.

So about the perfect size to take care of the greenhouse.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

And adoptions!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game is good

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Eonwe posted:

game is good

Kinda envious of your avatar and its storied history.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Bring on the finished beta, I want to romance Shane :smith:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I was excited about the auto-harvesting mechanic until I realized I have the "harvest all crops with the scythe" mod. It makes harvesting so much easier.

I would use the auto-harvesting with poo poo on trellises if it meant I could have a block of them without having to worry about reaching and harvesting them myself.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
oh no, the newest patch gives the eggs star quality. now my storage is gonna be messy

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Tired Moritz posted:

oh no, the newest patch gives the eggs star quality. now my storage is gonna be messy

Oh poo poo now what do I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Do the parents of marriable NPC's comment if you divorce their children, and the transform their grandchildren into birds? I can imagine Pam would'nt be too impressed if you married Penny, had 2 kids together, threw her out of the house with a divorce, transmogrified her grandkids... then mind-wiped her and then repeated the process over and over until you had a greenhouse full of doves...

Does Robin charge you more on repairs and upgrades if transmogrify her grandkids for the upteeth time.