Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is this a real thing? :eyepop:

Sorry, the volume one was Panasonic. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/turn-off-banner-ads-on-your-2013-panasonic-tv/

Samsung put ads in your locally stored media.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2015/2/11/8017771/samsung-smart-tvs-inserting-unwanted-ads#vgi=18065531481367293928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Holy go gently caress yourself, Samsung. Like I needed more of a reason to boycott them.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Wow, putting ads onto your own media is bullshit the likes of which I've never seen. But that's not a Tizen thing, that's just an awful thing independent of OS. Every TV OS I've seen is garbage. Don't most people just use better things like Chromecast/roku/Xbox?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WebOS 3.0 on LG TVs is actually pretty decent.

Also, Sony TVs come with Android TV built in now.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Good luck with that.

the only phones on the market that are better than my nexus 4 are the iPhone 6s and the Xperia X Compact

kill me, pete

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

WebOS 3.0 on LG TVs is actually pretty decent.

Also, Sony TVs come with Android TV built in now.

Well of course it's decent, it's WebOS! RIP best phone OS

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Alan_Shore posted:

Wow, putting ads onto your own media is bullshit the likes of which I've never seen. But that's not a Tizen thing, that's just an awful thing independent of OS. Every TV OS I've seen is garbage. Don't most people just use better things like Chromecast/roku/Xbox?

Can you get a decent TV with out it being "Smart" I'd prefer to just buy a high end panel and not have any of that trash.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Can you get a decent TV with out it being "Smart" I'd prefer to just buy a high end panel and not have any of that trash.
Nope.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'd imagine most of the poo poo can either be turned off, or neutered by never connecting the TV to the internet at all. However, I think there are plenty of midrange TVs that have good panels but no "smart" garbage

In summary gently caress Samsung's phones, TVs, and exploding washing machines

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

never connecting the TV to the internet at all
I plugged my TV into the Internet for the first time not long ago and got hit with 6 firmware updates in a row. My initial thoughts were:
  • why aren't these cumulative?
  • I hate this future

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Alan_Shore posted:

Well of course it's decent, it's WebOS! RIP best phone OS

Quoted for truth. I still miss the gesture area. Most of all, I miss the text input. Selecting text and moving the insertion point remains better to this day.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not sure if this is where to post it or not (I'll prolly be posting it on the VR thread as well), but if your Android phone seems to be using a lot more battery power than normal (like, say, going from 100 to 30 with little use), temporarily uninstall any Oculus apps from your phone. There's a problem with the installer that is causing the Android System to use way more battery power than it otherwise should be (for me, it's 56%). Supposedly a hotfix is being pushed.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Syrinxx posted:

I'd imagine most of the poo poo can either be turned off, or neutered by never connecting the TV to the internet at all. However, I think there are plenty of midrange TVs that have good panels but no "smart" garbage

In summary gently caress Samsung's phones, TVs, and exploding washing machines

You can still get hacked through a TV OS you aren't using, firmware updates aren't optional because anything that isn't medical or mil-spec is forever in beta now, and you have to do exhaustive research to maybe determine if a TV with a panel worth dollars can have firmware updates delivered somehow other than OTA.

And apparently Vizio remotes run a fork of CyanogenMod (evidence: their drat file manager was on the remote for one at a local Sam's Club).

I'll probably just stop watching TV at some point.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Can't you just buy the TV you want, plug something into the HDMI port, then leave it on that HDMI source FOREVER and not worry about stupid smart TVs and firmwares?

Also I too miss the WebOS gesture area and keyboard shortcuts so much! How can nothing have bettered multitasking yet?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pretty much yes

The only time I see the OS on mine is changing inputs

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

Wow, putting ads onto your own media is bullshit the likes of which I've never seen.

You know that Microsoft Windows 10 does this to your music, right?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Even if you're not using Microsoft's music app? Not in my experience.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

LastInLine posted:

No it doesn't. Not at all. Using MusicBee.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bull3964 posted:

Reminder that Google still doesn't have Nougat out for the N6 and N9 LTE. It's been what, almost a month?

5x's are starting to brick themselves from hardware faults.

Honestly, even though Motorola sucks at updates now, their non flagship phones are still good for the money. It might be time to say gently caress the flagships and buy a disposable smartphone and go to a new one when you want the newest Android version.

Between the incompetence of Google, OEMs, non-Samsung SoC houses, and carriers, it's as if the whole Android framework is designed to give consumers as little reasons as possible to spend big money on flagship hardware.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I have a hard time thinking its bad that the N6 doesn't have Nougat out yet.

I mean...it's not ready, why would you want it be out already?

I think people are confused because Apple releases stuff for their devices all at once (right?). The problem with the comparison is that Apple holds their cards much closer to their chest and then when its ready for all devices releases it for everything. It's not like internally all their development for all their devices all magically reach the ready-to-release milestone all at the same time.

It's the same situation with Google, but they just release it for each device as its ready.

By wishing for Nougat to be ready for everything all at once, you're in effect wishing for releases to come out slower.

Google is incompetent about a lot of things, but the N6 not having Nougat yet doesn't really have to be about incompetence.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I think if apple released an update for supported phones but also said that the 6s wouldn't be getting it because it wasn't ready, you'd see similar comments. its pretty incompetent

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Blue Train posted:

I think if apple released an update for supported phones but also said that the 6s wouldn't be getting it because it wasn't ready, you'd see similar comments. its pretty incompetent

Well putting aside the fact that "releasing it for supported phones" but it not being available for the 6s doesn't make any sense (if it's not available for the 6s then it's not a supported phone):

No it's not incompetent...it's just a different way of doing things. I mean, perhaps you'd prefer one way over the other, but incompetence doesn't have anything to do with it.

Apple and Google are the same in regards to when OS updates are ready for devices across their line except Apple keeps it secret and Google doesn't.

Apple holds back from releasing it for any device until its ready for all devices, Google doesn't.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You can still get hacked through a TV OS you aren't using, firmware updates aren't optional because anything that isn't medical or mil-spec is forever in beta now, and you have to do exhaustive research to maybe determine if a TV with a panel worth dollars can have firmware updates delivered somehow other than OTA.

Just curious, but how can a TV that is not connected to the internet get hacked?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Here's me remembering when I couldn't watch TV for a couple days because Vizio hosed up their update servers or something (can't remember the exact circumstances)...even though I didn't use the Smart TV stuff at all.

Needless to say, I definitely don't have it hooked up to wifi anymore.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This could be fud, but wasn't there some smart tv that would connect to any unsecured wifi if it "realized" you weren't going to set it up? Like, to do updates and report on viewing habits and stuff.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Even if you're not using Microsoft's music app? Not in my experience.

Yeah, I meant if you use their music app. The point is that Samsung isn't the first.

That said, it's hard to complain about it if you're going to patronize Google who, let's face it, are the undisputed kings of surrounding other people's content with their advertising.

RZA Encryption posted:

This could be fud, but wasn't there some smart tv that would connect to any unsecured wifi if it "realized" you weren't going to set it up? Like, to do updates and report on viewing habits and stuff.

That was LG. It would also scan your network for media and send the filenames back home in the clear of anything it found.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Didn't Google say awhile back that the Android Auto interface was coming to phones? When's that happening?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

Didn't Google say awhile back that the Android Auto interface was coming to phones? When's that happening?

"later this year"

Maybe they'll release it next week! Or maybe not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

I have a hard time thinking its bad that the N6 doesn't have Nougat out yet.

I mean...it's not ready, why would you want it be out already?

I think people are confused because Apple releases stuff for their devices all at once (right?). The problem with the comparison is that Apple holds their cards much closer to their chest and then when its ready for all devices releases it for everything. It's not like internally all their development for all their devices all magically reach the ready-to-release milestone all at the same time.

It's the same situation with Google, but they just release it for each device as its ready.

By wishing for Nougat to be ready for everything all at once, you're in effect wishing for releases to come out slower.

Google is incompetent about a lot of things, but the N6 not having Nougat yet doesn't really have to be about incompetence.

I agree with the message, but it's also about perception.

What you have here are two of Google's oldest and likely lowest volume devices being delayed to the point where they risk 3rd parties catching up and outpacing them. That sends the perception that Google is not dedicating the same level of resources to those devices as others. That can be excused for a standard manufacturer, but this isn't Google's business and likely all work for them can be absorbed into general Android development expenses. In other words, you can excuse accounting for lack of support or delays.

This is exasperated by the fact that Google (to this point) has only released one phone a year. So, we have a single datapoint that's pointing to delay so it's easy to jump to thinking this is due to the age of the device.

That said, I'm sure the real problem is some binary blob they are waiting on to fix some issue that's preventing them from signing off on the final version. However, THAT delay may be due to the age of the SoC and the resources dedicated to it by a third party for development. This isn't the first time we have had this problem, so the question is why hasn't Google done anything about it proactively and can they do anything about it without bringing SoC development in house.

That, I believe, is the point of Oct 4th. Nexus devices have been collaboration. It's the Motorola Nexus 6, LG Nexus 5x, HTC Nexus 9, and Asus Nexus 7. Because of that arrangement, I don't know that Google has direct contracts or influence over component suppliers within devices. Motorola may be the one that needs to lean on Qualcomm for updated Snapdragon 805 drivers. Motorola themselves may be responsible for some portion of the software making up the device as well.

The Pixel is different. It's not going to be a HTC Pixel. It's going to be a Google Pixel. HTC moves from being a hardware partner to a hardware ODM. The relationship between Google and HTC for the Pixel will be the same as the relationship between Apple and Foxconn. Because of that, Google may have greater control over component suppliers for the device. This will give them the latitude to deal directly with entities like Qualcomm and also bake more rigorous support terms in their contracts. Now, I'm not saying that they ARE doing it, but it does seem like it would be a key advantage to this shift in strategy with phones.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just curious, but how can a TV that is not connected to the internet get hacked?

Because you can't necessarily keep it off the Internet.

RZA pointed out LG are Those Fuckers, and if you have to update your TV's firmware OTA because something on it doesn't work on the current firmware, but you can't sideload the firmware, guess where that's coming from.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think calling Google incompetent is pretty inaccurate. They did create a competitive mobile ecosystem pretty damned fast, and it's one that probably the majority of people using it are pretty happy with.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Mostly needs suiting, I have to agree.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Never underestimate the contract fuckery people will do.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

I think calling Google incompetent is pretty inaccurate. They did create a competitive mobile ecosystem pretty damned fast, and it's one that probably the majority of people using it are pretty happy with.

Even if they did have to steal it to do so.

While it's technically impressive that the ecosystem actually works given its gestation period, I'd say Google owes as much to Microsoft's and RIM's Blackberry's incompetence as they do to their own skills.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 1, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bull3964 posted:

The Pixel is different. It's not going to be a HTC Pixel. It's going to be a Google Pixel. HTC moves from being a hardware partner to a hardware ODM. The relationship between Google and HTC for the Pixel will be the same as the relationship between Apple and Foxconn. Because of that, Google may have greater control over component suppliers for the device. This will give them the latitude to deal directly with entities like Qualcomm and also bake more rigorous support terms in their contracts. Now, I'm not saying that they ARE doing it, but it does seem like it would be a key advantage to this shift in strategy with phones.

They better be loving on the balls with support, because that will be the only thing that differentiate them from Samsung when Qualcomm is already losing the high-end SoC/modem war. I'll go as far as to say the Pixel phones are a last ditch insurance policy against Samsung as the latter is increasingly pulling ahead of everyone else in hardware and sales on Android.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=301KLektXeA

I want to get off of Mr. Lenovo's Wild Ride.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=301KLektXeA

I want to get off of Mr. Lenovo's Wild Ride.

I love how they end with the hand of Lenovo punching the Motorola brand out of the frame.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Deleter posted:

My Galaxy S6 has started randomly spamming the capacitive back button. At its worst, it's impossible to do anything on my phone. Googling tells me this is a hardware problem of some sort. Should I ditch it and look for something better or get a repair/replacement? I should be under warranty still but who knows.

E:lol the timing on this post
I just had to get the glass back on my Galaxy 7Edge replaced (god, glass backs are such a dumb idea) and I did it directly with Samsung, a week door-to-door, without talking to my carrier. Try calling Samsung customer service with your IMEI and serial number handy, and they'll tell you if it's under warranty and how to get it fixed.

Lol anybody who's complaining about handing over your personal data to Android/Google. Apple or Google, pick your favorite Dark Lord to bend the knee.

E: Samsung makes the CS phone number hard to find. 1 (800) 726-7864

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
1-800-Samsung is hard to find? On the Canadian site it's shoved in your face under support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Samsung!! :arghfist::mad: