Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Doesn't this look amazing.

First screenshot of the new Windows Explorer app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Im_Special posted:

Reminds me of Dos Shell.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Im_Special posted:

You've got to be kidding me. I actually like most of Win 10 UI but for god's sakes. They went in the exact opposite direction of almost all the most popular and praised file explorers?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not too enthused

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
A file manager for the people who have never before used a file manager, and don't know what a file manager is used for.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
They managed to make it worse than Finder. How is that possible?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Does it at least have tabs natively? That's all I really want from Explorer 2.0, I don't need Derek Smart's Desktop Commander.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Im_Special posted:

This is a joke right? That's loving hideous.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
After some additional consideration I retract my previous comment about it reminding me of Dosshell... It would in fact be an improvement over this.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Im_Special posted:

Where are the extensions?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Where is that screenshot actually from? I'd like to think that is a first pass to show that it's up and running before stuffing everything back in and tidying up the layout. It looks like a placeholder, especially the way the folder address is written. No way in hell is that final.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Where is that screenshot actually from? I'd like to think that is a first pass to show that it's up and running before stuffing everything back in and tidying up the layout. It looks like a placeholder, especially the way the folder address is written. No way in hell is that final.

Looks like a Continuum phone?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Where are the extensions?

Known extensions have been hidden by default in Explorer since Win95 I'm pretty sure, and if not there it's still been a very long time.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The recent update (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496)) seems to have fixed the webcamera issue for me. Previously, after the anniversary update, my Logitech c510 quick capture app kept crashing.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Any news on Western Digital USB drives it broke, won't find out till next weekend

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Installed the bash shell on a box where the Windows user I log in as is 'root', and I took the default option of naming the shell user after the windows user. Having the shell user be named 'root' confuses the Ubuntu subsystem really badly. Is there an easy way to reset it so I can give the shell user a less problematic username?

About the shell in general -- this really is the future of getting posix tools working on Windows, but without good network support I think I'll stick with cygwin for the near future.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

AbstractNapper posted:

The recent update (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496)) seems to have fixed the webcamera issue for me. Previously, after the anniversary update, my Logitech c510 quick capture app kept crashing.

It's still blowing my mind that the worlds biggest OS rolled out an update that broke the worlds most popular webcams. The people on insider program must definitely all be basement dwellers

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Chuu posted:

Installed the bash shell on a box where the Windows user I log in as is 'root', and I took the default option of naming the shell user after the windows user. Having the shell user be named 'root' confuses the Ubuntu subsystem really badly. Is there an easy way to reset it so I can give the shell user a less problematic username?

About the shell in general -- this really is the future of getting posix tools working on Windows, but without good network support I think I'll stick with cygwin for the near future.

The WSL is really nice and there are some improvements already on the insider track, supposedly chroot is coming and base OS is moved to ubuntu 16.04.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Will I get native weechat?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The Anniversary update reenabled Cortana so gently caress you I guess.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Chuu posted:

Ask about it on the github repo https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I've gotta say - I really like Windows 10. But holy poo poo the missteps Microsoft had made with handling of updates, QA, etc is really off-putting.

Sigh. Still going to be my OS of choice but I wish it wouldn't randomly re-enable things I've taken survivors steps to turn off.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

The Anniversary update reenabled Cortana so gently caress you I guess.
The first time I tried to search when I installed Win 10, Cortana asked for my approval to gather data, I told it no and haven't seen it since.

Except in Task Manager eating up 60 MB of RAM, I guess. Had you managed to turn that off?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

HMS Boromir posted:

Except in Task Manager eating up 60 MB of RAM, I guess. Had you managed to turn that off?
They renamed entire search service to Cortana, so if you somehow turn that off everything that relies on it will break.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

c0burn posted:

It's still blowing my mind that the worlds biggest OS rolled out an update that broke the worlds most popular webcams. The people on insider program must definitely all be basement dwellers

lol, KB3194496 which just landed in the regular windows update can lead to reboot loops. That error was reported by the insider program members and Microsoft went ahead and pushed it to WU.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

c0burn posted:

Didn't it break like every webcam? :v:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Klyith posted:

Does it at least have tabs natively? That's all I really want from Explorer 2.0, I don't need Derek Smart's Desktop Commander.

Hopefully someone makes a third party file explorer called that. Bonus points if they don't have Derek Smart's permission to use his name.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

Hopefully someone makes a third party file explorer called that. Bonus points if they don't have Derek Smart's permission to use his name.

Maybe hex edit Total Commander to say Desktop Commander in the title bar.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

On my Lumia (running the W10 anniversary update), I can mark pictures in the Photo app as favourites and have the live tile cycle through those favourites. On desktop I can do neither. Is that not a thing on desktop? It should be a thing on desktop.

jauk3n
Jul 10, 2014
what if I want to install windows 10 on a brand new computer im building from a usb. how does that work with needing a product key and what not?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Didn't it break like every webcam? :v:

Yep. They decided to make a new imaging server so multiple apps can use the webcam at once. Except they only supported uncompressed video.

Most webcams are USB 2.0, which is 480 Mbit/s. In a theoretical ideal situation, a 24 FPS 24-bit 4:2:0 subsampling video with no audio can have 2 megapixels at 480 Mbit/s, which isn't even enough for full 1080p. USB also has extra overhead, so you're talking 720p at best. While that would have been great 10 years ago, nobody nowadays wants a webcam that can't do full HD, so nobody bothers supporting uncompressed video at all unless it's USB 3.0. Which means Microsoft's solution was worthless until they supported compressed video.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 2, 2016

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

jauk3n posted:

what if I want to install windows 10 on a brand new computer im building from a usb. how does that work with needing a product key and what not?

If your current computer says that your licence is attached to your Microsoft account, you should be OK.

That's the theory anyone, not sure anyone here has tried it yet.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So how do you prevent windows 10 from restarting while you are typing and using a computer with no warning dialogue box?

Seems like a really easy fix.. if typing restart = no

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I've been in the fast ring for some time without any issues, but now I have a rather major one. Preview 14936 is failing to install, and I'm getting a warning now that Windows will reboot randomly and eventually fail to boot entirely because my current build has expired.

What can I do? I've tried installing this build multiple times and it always reverts me.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Since the anniversary update, my sound card drivers no longer seem to be working. I have an older PCI-E Soundblaster X-Fi titanium hd and I've tried both the unofficial driver and the official ones. Everything was working fine before the the update. I've tried uninstalling drivers and deleting them.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Since the anniversary update, my sound card drivers no longer seem to be working. I have an older PCI-E Soundblaster X-Fi titanium hd and I've tried both the unofficial driver and the official ones. Everything was working fine before the the update. I've tried uninstalling drivers and deleting them.
Ugh, I have similar issue with my old laptop.
It took over half a year after Win10 upgrade to get realtek drivers that actually worked on it, then Anniversary update came and broke sound again and my laptop is going to be mute again for who knows how long.

jauk3n
Jul 10, 2014

Rusty! posted:

If your current computer says that your licence is attached to your Microsoft account, you should be OK.

That's the theory anyone, not sure anyone here has tried it yet.

can I get a little more context? I do not know what you mean by that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

jauk3n posted:

can I get a little more context? I do not know what you mean by that.

This:

But really, "I'm getting a whole new computer and keeping none of the old hardware" sounds like a prime example of when to just buy a new Windows license.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I just remoted into my work computer from my Windows 10 upgraded machine and noticed that the task bar from my local computer is showing up over the remote session.

Anyone run into that before and know how to hide it when my remote session is in full screen mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

The Slack Lagoon posted:

So how do you prevent windows 10 from restarting while you are typing and using a computer with no warning dialogue box?

Seems like a really easy fix.. if typing restart = no

If you disable the reboot task in the task scheduler, Windows will say it's going to restart in the action center but never actually reboot. Good for letting you choose when to allow it to happen.