Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I love my super drugged out 70s music and lovely 80s pop what can I say

If you know anyone who considers Devo to be lovely 80s pop then :sever:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

CPL593H posted:

If you know anyone who considers Devo to be lovely 80s pop then :sever:.

If I severed with everyone who didn't like my music I'd be a sad lonely pathetic goon...oh

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It's ok, I have a thing for that sound everyone had in 1986, you know with all the synthesizers

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Devo was an awesome late '70s punk band. :colbert:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Farts Domino posted:

Shure M44-7
Shure M97xE
Grado Green

While I'm sure nothing has changed too drastically since 2011 when the OP was written, are these still good cartridge recommendations? I have a Audio Technica 120 if it matters for ease of installation or whatevers.

I would do the normal thing and look it up but I've given up trying to read reviews on anything audio related because apparently I'm human garbage if I don't spend $15000 on a turntable and space titanium needles and stuff.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

It's ok, I have a thing for that sound everyone had in 1986, you know with all the synthesizers

Have you heard more than two Devo songs?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

counterpoint: by '86 Devo was terrrrrrrrible

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Rusty Staub posted:

I've never been able to listen to Shout all the way through.

Same thing goes for King for a Day... Fool for a Lifetime by Faith no More and The King and Eye by The Residents. Garbage albums from bands I love.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Rusty Staub posted:

This is true, but they had a run of four albums that are absolute masterpieces and then one that was also pretty good. Plus Hardcore Devo has some awesome stuff on it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

There's a reason all the recent reissues and live albums from Devo have been their 70s stuff, even though it wasn't the peak of their popularity. It's a pretty steady decline in quality after the turn of the decade (though everything before Shout has some redeeming qualities).

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I think Something For Everybody is pretty seriously underrated. Maybe not New Traditionalists good but definitely Oh No It's Devo good.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

There's a reason all the recent reissues and live albums from Devo have been their 70s stuff, even though it wasn't the peak of their popularity. It's a pretty steady decline in quality after the turn of the decade (though everything before Shout has some redeeming qualities).

New Traditionalists is considerably better than "some redeeming qualities".

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Something for Everybody was a solid album but definitely not at the same level as 'Are We Not Men' or 'New Traditionalists'.

I find it interesting that it's basically impossible to find Smooth Noodle Maps anywhere. I'm a massive Devo fan but that one has always eluded me. Nobody seems to want it made available, even for curiosity's sake.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Oh neat, Discogs now shows me a "collection value range," so I see in black and white about how much I've pissed away on this hobby.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Creature posted:

Something for Everybody was a solid album but definitely not at the same level as 'Are We Not Men' or 'New Traditionalists'.

I find it interesting that it's basically impossible to find Smooth Noodle Maps anywhere. I'm a massive Devo fan but that one has always eluded me. Nobody seems to want it made available, even for curiosity's sake.

I've never even thought about it before, but now that you mention it I've never seen that one anywhere.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

While I'm sure nothing has changed too drastically since 2011 when the OP was written, are these still good cartridge recommendations? I have a Audio Technica 120 if it matters for ease of installation or whatevers.

I would do the normal thing and look it up but I've given up trying to read reviews on anything audio related because apparently I'm human garbage if I don't spend $15000 on a turntable and space titanium needles and stuff.

AT95 or AT440 are good. The shure M44-7 is really a DJ cart if you put it on an AT120. I have an m97xe and like it but I did put a better needle on it eventually, it's good if you want to emphasize bass. I know grado is well regarded but I don't have much personal experience.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Dogen posted:

AT95 or AT440 are good. The shure M44-7 is really a DJ cart if you put it on an AT120. I have an m97xe and like it but I did put a better needle on it eventually, it's good if you want to emphasize bass. I know grado is well regarded but I don't have much personal experience.

Cool man, thanks for the response.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cool man, thanks for the response.

Just a head's up. The AT440MLa is a good cart but the stylus for it costs as much as the cart itself.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

New Traditionalists is considerably better than "some redeeming qualities".

Oh, it's a good album for sure (though the mastering is terrible). Personally I still think the ranking of their albums is basically just the release order. Q/A > Duty Now > Freedom > New Traditionalists > Oh No. Those are all good albums, and past that it's not worth talking about until Something for Everybody.

Basically the more control Mark Mothersbaugh had over the albums, the worse they got.

Creature posted:

I bought this complete joke of a "greatest hits" album in the early 2000s when I was starting to get into Devo and it almost turned me off the band entirely. It's just a bunch of tracks from Smooth Noodle Maps and then a few live acoustic versions of their older songs. It's such a terrible collection but it did make me very familiar with about half of Smooth Noodle Maps, and I would even say that I like Morning Dew :blush:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/TheVinylFactory/status/781638449015042048

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Some of those are probably doubles.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Thread title is once again relevant.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Smooth Noodle Maps was on a different label that I believe went under? The band disowned it along with Total Devo anyway. Pretend they don't exist if you'd like.

wa27 posted:

Personally I still think the ranking of their albums is basically just the release order. Q/A > Duty Now > Freedom > New Traditionalists > Oh No.
I just feel pretty burnt out on Freedom and NuTra since they're the very height of Devo's popularity. Oh No! as I've repeated ad nauseum is sunk by the homogeneous synthesizers and the album kind of blends together into one lump, but I love the album for how paranoid and coked out they were. Collaborate with a man who shot a president? Why not?

wa27 posted:

Basically the more control Mark Mothersbaugh had over the albums, the worse they got.
Whoever decided to ditch Alan Myers for a drum machine is the real culprit.

I'm also of the opinion that Dev2.0 was loving hilarious and 100% on brand.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i had to go on discogs to get smooth noodle maps. somebody actually bothered pressing it on red wax back in the day(...?)

i like it better than Shout & TD still tho

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

I'm also of the opinion that Dev2.0 was loving hilarious and 100% on brand.

Agreed.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

CPL593H posted:

Just a head's up. The AT440MLa is a good cart but the stylus for it costs as much as the cart itself.

Yeah, it's the best cart out of the ones I listed. I think the stylus is microline. Just trying to give a range.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dogen posted:

Yeah, it's the best cart out of the ones I listed. I think the stylus is microline. Just trying to give a range.

From what I've read it's a really great bang for your buck option and I certainly like it (especially in comparison to the cart that came with the ATLP 120 when I got mine), but 170 bucks for a new stylus might not make it the best entry level choice. Also, I guess now there's the 440MLb, but I have no idea what the difference is and all the 440 series carts use the same stylus.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 30, 2016

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Tycho's new album, Epoch, got released tonight. Pre-order for the vinyl is up. Comes out January for some reason, but hey free shipping: http://www.theghostlystore.com/collections/frontpage/products/tycho-epoch-lp

They make some good poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFOPkLihFvc

Fake James fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 30, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Geoff Zahn posted:

Tycho's new album, Epoch, got released tonight. Pre-order for the vinyl is up. Comes out January for some reason, but hey free shipping: http://www.theghostlystore.com/collections/frontpage/products/tycho-epoch-lp

They make some good poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFOPkLihFvc

I saw them live last year. Very chill, give these guys a listen.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Geoff Zahn posted:

Comes out January

blame all the records that other people with objectively worse taste in music want obviously.

e. looks like you can score a neat looking slipmat if you pre-order it from this site?
http://apothecary-compositions.com/collections/pre-orders/products/tycho-epoch-lp-slipmat-pre-order

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 30, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Two cool finds today, the Sorcerer soundtrack by Tangerine Dream and the Eyes of Laura Mars soundtrack, both from a record dealer booth at an antique mall.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

Have you heard more than two Devo songs?

Yes, but I wasn't talking about Devo?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I can't believe Peter Schilling went full reggae on the second track

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I can't believe Peter Schilling went full reggae on the second track

I can.

I've never heard the record, but I believe it, considering Schilling.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Two cool finds today, the Sorcerer soundtrack by Tangerine Dream and the Eyes of Laura Mars soundtrack, both from a record dealer booth at an antique mall.

Sorcerer sick find

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Sorcerer sick find

Is it that rare? Saw one in great shape recently and almost picked it up.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I'm a bit late to the DEVO talk but Are We Not Men to Oh No is all top quality. Shout has that great cover of Are you Experienced, and I'm a sucker for the Fairlight CMI. Total Devo has Some Things Never Change that was used in the Neuromancer computer game so gets a pass. I got a German pressing of Smooth Noodle Maps just to complete the studio album discography. It never gets any playtime. (Plus I've got the 12" of Post Post-Modern Man with 4 remixes and that's the only good song from that album)

Also blame Gerry for any DEVO nonsense, he's the one who made "Don't Roof Rack Me Bro" and agreed to donate some profits of Whip it to PeTA.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Enos Cabell posted:

I dunno, it doesn't seem particularly uncommon if Discogs is anything to go by, but it was on sale for half-off so I got it for three bucks. Same with Eyes of Laura Mars (although with that I guess I pretty much just paid market value).

They also had the uncensored Mom's Apple Pie album that they were asking way too much for.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Enos Cabell posted:

not particularly but it's cool and good outside of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Peas and Rice posted:

Oh neat, Discogs now shows me a "collection value range," so I see in black and white about how much I've pissed away on this hobby.

I think it's done that for a while. You can even sort your records by min/med/max. I am a little surprised by apparently how much this record is worth.

This seems as good as time as ever to post a link to my discogs collection and hope someone gives me the validation I so desperately seek.