Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I just want it to not have Games for Windows Live. That was loving awful.

Edit: Talking Bulletstorm here, didn't realise I was going to be at the top of the page.

Also, apparently Tribes: Ascend is getting its final patch.

laserghost posted:

There are surprisingly many Halloween themed Wolf3d mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTJaeM0tIYo

There was another one, where you were running around neighbourhood, shooting mutated trick-or-treaters, but can't find it now.

Alternatively, you can play this survival horror minigame made on Wolf3d's engine: http://www.moddb.com/mods/witching-hour/

I'll definitely check out Witching Hour. That video looks pretty goofy, in a good way. It looks like it just changes graphics/sounds and levels? I wonder if you could get it working with ECWolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hee heee heeee

:iamafag:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I've never been able to figure out what causes that glitch and it pisses me off so much, but people like it so much that at this point I think it'd be a waste to fix it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I wonder if it's at all related to why my Koopa Shells keep getting stuck in walls (or, when I briefly tried them in E1M1, occasionally going through walls).

...I suppose not, since that's a ceiling it's stuck in, but the end result's about as amusing I suppose

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Step one of prettying up my weapons is complete. The pickup sprites are no longer just ugly downsized versions of my reference pics! :v:

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Those don't look too bad!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

TerminusEst13 posted:

I've never been able to figure out what causes that glitch and it pisses me off so much, but people like it so much that at this point I think it'd be a waste to fix it.

Heh heh I love it. Been playing with Demon Steele all week (too much if I'm gonna be honest) and it's the first time I've encountered it

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

CJacobs posted:

Step one of prettying up my weapons is complete. The pickup sprites are no longer just ugly downsized versions of my reference pics! :v:
I may have to recruit you to make sprites for some of my mods sometime.

Concerning sprites though, how kosher is it considered to grab assets off of Realm667 and use the sprites with my own code? Main reason I'm asking is because I don't want people flipping out when they see a familiar looking gun or monster and it doesn't behave at all how they're expecting it to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm willing to help if you want me to! Some of the guns (the machine gun and rocket launcher especially) are edited from another person's sprites, and while I did give credit, I also plan on sending the guy a PM to ask if I can still use them. Granted, the sprites are 3 years old now so I don't even know if the person who made them is still active, but that's what I've decided to do in general when I make use of someone else's sprites as a base for my own or whathaveyou.

Although I assume stuff on Realm667 specifically is free for you to grab as long as you include the credit section in the readme files- the ones I've checked out so far say they don't care if you use them as long as you give credit and don't claim they're yours.

edit: A thing I've learned from browsing the doom forums and the zdoom forums is, "be prepared for people to immediately ask if it's compatible with brutal doom and then say nothing else", which will be annoying but hopefully not as annoying if I anticipate it!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 30, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

Although I assume stuff on Realm667 specifically is free for you to grab as long as you include the credit section in the readme files

R667 is a resource site, the entire point of things being hosted there is that they're free to reuse.

(Actually a few resources have been pulled out when the concerned authors have rescinded their authorization.)

CJacobs posted:

edit: A thing I've learned from browsing the doom forums and the zdoom forums is, "be prepared for people to immediately ask if it's compatible with brutal doom and then say nothing else", which will be annoying but hopefully not as annoying if I anticipate it!

IMO, grab the agitating skeleton stuff from Demonsteele and then say "yes".

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Cat Mattress posted:

IMO, grab the agitating skeleton stuff from Demonsteele and then say "yes".
I remember when I first encountered them. I saw Term mentioned Brutal Doom compatibility on the ZDoom forums page for Demonsteele in a quite facetious seeming manner, so I decided to load them together to see what was up. I spent a while giggling afterwards.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

Maybe you've seen these but you might be able to get some nice tips/ideas from these videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCzD9tU3AqgPGkGL1BDqNJzg by the fella doing the art for Supplice.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SavageMessiah posted:

Maybe you've seen these but you might be able to get some nice tips/ideas from these videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0I7QkC3S9A by the fella doing the art for Supplice.

Nice! These look like they'll be a big help. One thing I saw the guy do is make a clipping mask layer to avoid any anti-aliasing outside the sprites, and then use the brush tool to make shadows to hide the pixel-art-y visuals. Definitely gonna try that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Don't remember if I saw this here or not but I stumbled across a TAS of a slaughtermap and ended up watching the whole thing. There's something oddly soothing of just sitting back and letting the unrelenting chaos and pixel-perfect Cyberdemon rocket dodging wash over you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnCx8Z6B6O8

How do you even TAS Doom? Play the engine at .5 speed and then multiply it back up to record the demo?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, I've finished my map and I feel like a real dummy because I'm not sure what to do now. I've got a couple of external wads (the one with the custom textures I'm using and the rain ploppable script) and I don't know how to smoosh them into my pk3 and make the final distributable thing. Including the map itself I've got down thanks to The Kins. Until now I've just been using them as dependencies in Doom Builder to test the map, so obv they're not actually combined.

edit: Also, I'm assuming I shouldn't just put in the entire custom textures wad, because I'm only using a couple of them.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 1, 2016

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSz0XGUZXmY

I spent this morning scripting that arena sequence I've been talking about for the past few days! Making it vaguely match the music was fun.

edit: By the way, there are a couple more cacodemons that didn't spawn because enemies were standing in the way. :downs: Enemies don't spawn if there's already something standing on its mapspot when it's time for it to spawn, so I suppose that works as a failsafe for the arena getting too crowded!

(also yeah I realize the shotgun pickup sprite is massive, sizing it down is on my to-do list)

What song is this? Map is looking really drat nice :D

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you! The music is Roller Mobster, by Carpenter Brut. I love that drat song.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

CJacobs posted:

So, I've finished my map and I feel like a real dummy because I'm not sure what to do now. I've got a couple of external wads (the one with the custom textures I'm using and the rain ploppable script) and I don't know how to smoosh them into my pk3 and make the final distributable thing. Including the map itself I've got down thanks to The Kins. Until now I've just been using them as dependencies in Doom Builder to test the map, so obv they're not actually combined.

edit: Also, I'm assuming I shouldn't just put in the entire custom textures wad, because I'm only using a couple of them.
The rain thing you can just shove into your pk3. If you want it formatted pretty, make folders called sprites and sounds and shove the appropriate lumps in each of them. SNDINFO and DECORATE go in the main directory, though I think it's best to make sure all SNDINFO lumps are combined into a single file.

With the textures, what I've been doing is painstakingly copying each individual texture I use into the pk3, into a textures or flats folder depending on which is relevant. Technically you could shove the whole thing in and use SLADE's delete unused textures tool, but I don't know how well that works. The most painful thing for me is redefining the necessary textures in a TEXTURES lump, since for some reason people still tend to use an extremely messy TEXTURE1 lump, even though I'm told that's not exactly kosher.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Okay! I'll give that a shot and then make a trailer for the map and throw a download up on my dropbox or something. I am pumped to finally deliver something playable after all the fuckin around I've done learning the ropes these past few months. I mean, it's just a demo map for what will eventually be a much longer campaign, but still. Proof of concept first.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Has anyone figured out a good control scheme for Demomsteele played on X360 pad?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If you don't have them already, all the Id shooters are half-off on GOG.

https://www.gog.com/promo/20160930_back_to_school_sale_bethesda_collection

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, I dunno if it'll all fall apart horribly when other people download it, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Here we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7o67zUjvfQ

Download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8417a764284jui8/Manor%20Demo.rar?dl=0

NOTE: You almost certainly need Z/GZDoom to play this, I don't know if it'll work in other engines.

My first released Doom campaign will be an eerie, Southern Gothic-inspired trip to the depths of hell titled The Devil's Tattoo. This is the first map! The final release will probably restructure a few things, this is mostly to demonstrate the general speed of the campaign as well as its aesthetic and some of its gameplay elements.

Please let me know if it all works or not (and tell me if you know of any other places I can post about this) since it's obviously my first time doing this and all. :v:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 1, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Shadow Warrior Classic Redux is 99c on Steam for the next 47 hours or so.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Postal 2 with Paradise Lost add-on is also on sale, in case you need more arguments that games are art

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
https://vimeo.com/theromero/review/156288044/2ad02ce556

John Romero talks about the version of E1M8 he made back in January.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

leekster posted:

https://vimeo.com/theromero/review/156288044/2ad02ce556

John Romero talks about the version of E1M8 he made back in January.
Oh cool! I now feel vindicated about insisting on playing with lookspring when I'm playing without a modern sourceport. The master himself does it!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My campaign now has a thread on Doomworld! I will also probably make one on the ZDoom forums sooner or later as well.

edit: ZDoom forum thread is up too.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 1, 2016

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
This reminds me, what happened to his kickstarter thing, wasn't he going to try again or has he completely given up on it?

I would very much like to play a new fps designed by Romero.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Kamrat posted:

This reminds me, what happened to his kickstarter thing, wasn't he going to try again or has he completely given up on it?

I would very much like to play a new fps designed by Romero.
The official statement was that they were putting it on hold until they were able to get a proper demo put together. Who knows when that will be though.
I'm also on the "would like another good Romero FPS" boat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am glad Mr. Romero shares my opinion that hitscanners are the devil and should be eliminated before any other target. Also I really liked the map so I agree there should be more Romero videogames.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last update on Romero's New Game that Gearbox is looking into it? Can't wait for them getting the praise as "Saviours of Classic FPS".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

laserghost posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last update on Romero's New Game that Gearbox is looking into it? Can't wait for them getting the praise as "Saviours of Classic FPS".
Nothing is going to come of it. Romero didn't get funded instantly and lost interes.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is there a way to play doom 64 on PC in a source port and not an n64 emulator?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

GutBomb posted:

Is there a way to play doom 64 on PC in a source port and not an n64 emulator?

https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Casimir Radon posted:

Nothing is going to come of it. Romero didn't get funded instantly and lost interes.

This is what I'm afraid of, that he totally lost interest in the project, hopefully this is just unwarranted fear and he's working on that demo thing. Hopefully gearbox has nothing to do with it as well because gently caress gearbox.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Did the Romeros ever finish that Taco van game with one of their kids? It looked cute

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Updated my campaign's demo map to fix some stuff.

What's new in 0.0.1.0:
-------

+ Changed floor texture in underwater segments to not be a water texture
+ Added an extra script function to ensure the last enemy in the arena segment spawns (Thanks, Gez)
+ Extended Doomguy's arms a bit so that the sprites go all the way down the screen if you're using the alt hud
+ A couple teeny tiny linedef rearrangements to prevent rendering errors in the main lobby of the manor

I'm working on making custom doors for the ones that have key locks as per The Kins' suggestion, so that'll be in the next update.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 2, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Shoehead posted:

Did the Romeros ever finish that Taco van game with one of their kids? It looked cute

Kinda, it was heavily reworked tho:

http://www.blromero.com/train/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Gunman Taco Truck is still about the same as it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Man the new Oblige map generator is really good and makes some pretty slick stuff!