Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It'll be years before the movies have to address any SHIELD stuff seeing as the next couple of ones are mostly off world/off the grid. Spider-Man would probably be the closest except he's already got an in with the Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

homullus posted:

If they can't even do that, that's pretty pathetic.

From what I gather the deliberate MCU TV/movie divide really is quite petty but then again the whole "creative council" in charge of the MCU was really lovely in a lot of ways for quite a long time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blazing Ownager posted:

That said I really, really hope they don't do an "he's evil" twist with this guy. I love the fact he's a bureaucrat doing his job, and with the same goal as Coulson if different methodology - the betterment of SHIELD. Villains that aren't really villains are the most interesting.

I really really hope they stay down the path from "this guy is an evil bureaucrat changing SHIELD there's something slimy at work here!!" to "the new Director is just a huge boy scout goober that happens to be invincible." They did the same thing when SHIELD and NuSHIELD split and I was both legitimately shocked and really sad at the way that guy (I can't even remember his name) died. All this sinister lead up and all he had was the necklace Daisy's mom gave her. :smith:

I expect there'll be a throwdown at some point between Mace and someone, maybe Daisy or GR, but overall I hope he stays on as a good guy. I'd like to see a season long arc where both he and the old team learn to meet halfway and start working together.

It's equally likely he's the Grand Director and will just go bonkers and start murdering everyone while screaming HAIL HYDRA. Who knows! v:shobon:v

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I kind of hope this is their version of Dell Rusk.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

These are some weird ghosts. They can become tangible whenever they want. It'll probably be explained/it probably has to do with the Darkhold changing them, but it's just wierd.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

Talking about the new director as an old classic character is kind of weird when their depiction of him is an Inhuman and in MCU continuity can't possibly have done the thing the character is most known for.
Couldn't they say he wore the Cap costume at some point during Steve Rogers' disappearance? That wouldn't really mess with things other than nobody having ever mentioned it before. Or they can say he was the Patriot during the Gulf War or something. He's about the right age.

AbsolutelySane posted:

She has the gauntlets, she's just not using them. If you remember the suiting up scene in the premier, they specifically show her with them on. Robbie is right about her wanting to suffer.
This, plus she's all gothed out now, which in TV land is a quick visual cue to let you know she's self-harming. :emo:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Kheldarn posted:

These are some weird ghosts. They can become tangible whenever they want. It'll probably be explained/it probably has to do with the Darkhold changing them, but it's just wierd.

They pretty clearly seem to be Science Ghosts who are that way because of a Whacky Comic Book Science Whoopsie.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I could see them mentioning SHIELD is back, but not have any contact with it. Unless the petty power struggles at Marvel have ended and they can stop pretending the TV and Movie aren't in the same universe.

Though just having Coulson and Daisy in Infinity War would be awesome. Even if they're just shown in some big battle with Thanos's goons or something.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

From what I gather the deliberate MCU TV/movie divide really is quite petty but then again the whole "creative council" in charge of the MCU was really lovely in a lot of ways for quite a long time.

The TV/Film divide sure as poo poo isn't specific to Marvel. I'll even go so far as to :toxx: that nothing from this show will ever make it into the movies. I'm stopping just short of including the Netflix stuff in that toxx but if that happens I'll eat my god damned fruit hat. Film people see TV as such small potatoes that it drags down the overall value of the film. That's slowly starting to change which is why I'm not including netflix but RDJ's salary, for a single film alone, would buy you a couple of full seasons of AoS.

That and Coulson being alive totally fucks over the heroic sacrifice in the first Avengers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

They pretty clearly seem to be Science Ghosts who are that way because of a Whacky Comic Book Science Whoopsie.

I really hope this isn't like the first season, where they can't do something until the related movie comes out. The longer Fitz has to angrily deny that they're actually ghosts, the dumber he's gonna look.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Aphrodite posted:

Talking about the new director as an old classic character is kind of weird when their depiction of him is an Inhuman and in MCU continuity can't possibly have done the thing the character is most known for.

Just because he says he's Inhuman doesn't mean he actually is. It seems like too large of a coincidence that just when they want an enhanced visible leader of SHIELD there just already happens to be a high ranking agent who not only is an Inhuman but also gained totally wholesome powers that didn't mess up his looks.

As for the ghosts, I'm figuring they left it vague so that people would just think they're regular people out of phase with reality thanks to a science accident. Big reveal would be that they were ghosts before ever getting stuffed in those boxes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

This, plus she's all gothed out now, which in TV land is a quick visual cue to let you know she's self-harming. :emo:

Can't wait for Daisy to get a cat and we'll have the MCU version of the Penitent Puss.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Someone mentioned Netflix which reminds me that the Luke Cage series is out today! Is anyone watching it?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Someone mentioned Netflix which reminds me that the Luke Cage series is out today! Is anyone watching it?

I've watched the first 5 episodes. It's good!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm about halfway through. It's a little slow, but good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just because he says he's Inhuman doesn't mean he actually is. It seems like too large of a coincidence that just when they want an enhanced visible leader of SHIELD there just already happens to be a high ranking agent who not only is an Inhuman but also gained totally wholesome powers that didn't mess up his looks.

As for the ghosts, I'm figuring they left it vague so that people would just think they're regular people out of phase with reality thanks to a science accident. Big reveal would be that they were ghosts before ever getting stuffed in those boxes.

I meant giving him powers at all. It's basically an entirely different character just with the name. Which is fine normally, I don't mind when they do that, but not when you're giving interviews talking about how the new director is a classic comic character.

It's like they said "We're going to have Dick Grayson on The Flash" but then it turns out he can shoot lasers from his rear end and never met Batman.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

That and Coulson being alive totally fucks over the heroic sacrifice in the first Avengers.
People say this, but it's not like they wouldn't have banded together to stop a massive alien threat over Manhattan. There just would've been less motivation for it. Besides, if they explained the process he had to go through in an expository montage, and had some characters remain really really uncomfortable with Coulson hiding it from them and/or coming back to life, it could work pretty well in a film.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

You mean, Fury's lie from his lying liar face?

Nick went into Coulson's room, dipped the Captain America Limited Edition Collectible Cards™ in ketchup because, aside from that being the only thing ketchup is good for, it looked like blood on-camera and he needed a convincing, tangible catalyst for causing the Avengers to Assemble. Because we all know Coulson wasn't just letting those cards lay around loose, what kind of nerd does that?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

People say this, but it's not like they wouldn't have banded together to stop a massive alien threat over Manhattan. There just would've been less motivation for it. Besides, if they explained the process he had to go through in an expository montage, and had some characters remain really really uncomfortable with Coulson hiding it from them and/or coming back to life, it could work pretty well in a film.

It could be written, sure. As you said without his death there was less motivation but bringing him back now or in the future just makes it a cheap gimmick. It could work well in a film that isn't part of a multi billion dollar franchise. Besides, at that point the aliens hadn't even shown up yet. Loki hadn't even really done anything to make the audience or the characters go "ok gently caress that guy."

And Furys lie was just an extra kick, hell I think he even says as much on screen. It being a lie doesn't matter in the slightest.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can have SHIELD in the movies again without even mentioning Coulson.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
They should put daisy in the movies regardless.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Guy Goodbody posted:

The longer Fitz has to angrily deny that they're actually ghosts, the dumber he's gonna look.

So, you're just going to ignore the boxes full of crazily advanced circuitry? The boxes all the "ghosts" were stored in?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Circuitry...or runes?? :tinfoil:

Any sufficiently-advanced magic might look like science!

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I'm not sure I'm following this season. Where did the ghosts come from? who is this new director of shield?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know exactly as much as we do.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I am sure it will be ghosts in the end, thanks to some medical professional getting his own movie. But right now, it IS ambiguous, and Fitz does not look bad because of it. :colbert:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Tarquinn posted:

I am sure it will be ghosts in the end, thanks to some medical professional getting his own movie. But right now, it IS ambiguous, and Fitz does not look bad because of it. :colbert:

Fitz: "Yes, they are most definitely ghosts. As we have learned from this, ghosts are [technobabble], and Ghost Rider, who is [technobabble], is going to kill them all because he's the only one who can"

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Alexeythegreat posted:

Fitz: "Yes, they are most definitely ghosts. As we have learned from this, ghosts are [technobabble], and Ghost Rider, who is [technobabble], is going to kill them all because he's the only one who can"

Well, that's how science works, isn't it? It's not like science throws its hands over its head going, 'Welp, I do not know what that is. I am outta here, suckaz!'

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 1, 2016

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Guy Goodbody posted:

You can have SHIELD in the movies again without even mentioning Coulson.

They kinda already did, with the helicarrier and Fury in Age of Ultron. I saw it with someone who hadn't seen Winter Soldier or watched AoS and they had no idea SHIELD wasn't around anymore.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Isn't there an Inhumans movie set to start filming at some point or did they put the kibosh on that? Seems like Daisy would probably get at least a cameo there.

So also, I finished watching Luke Cage and it reminded me why the Netflix series are so much more enjoyable than AoS. They don't have to dribble out stories little bits at a time. I'd say Luke Cage is probably the weakest of the Netflix Marvel series (excepting that lovely second season of Daredevil) but it still made AoS feel cheap in comparison.

That said, this season is starting out solid and I hope the later time slot gives them the latitude to do more with AoS. I'm not expecting the gore fest of Jessica Jones but they could pull off what Luke Cage did minus the cussing and loving.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

Isn't there an Inhumans movie set to start filming at some point or did they put the kibosh on that? Seems like Daisy would probably get at least a cameo there.

That movie has been canned.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorilla Salad posted:

So, you're just going to ignore the boxes full of crazily advanced circuitry? The boxes all the "ghosts" were stored in?

They're ghosts.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
They're science ghosts which will be defeated by the science angel of vengeance working for the science devil.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
We already have norse science gods. No reason demons can't be similar to Asguardians. Magic to humans but not actually magic as such. Doctor Strange may think it's magic he manipulates but it's actually advanced science techno babble

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

bloodychill posted:

They're science ghosts which will be defeated by the science angel of vengeance working for the science devil.

It would be amazing if Agents of SHIELD established that in the MCU the Christian God is just a scientifically advanced alien.

Masonity posted:

We already have norse science gods. No reason demons can't be similar to Asguardians. Magic to humans but not actually magic as such. Doctor Strange may think it's magic he manipulates but it's actually advanced science techno babble

no its magic

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
I mean if it actually exists it would be all science wouldn't it? This is probably getting too philosophical

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BlackJosh posted:

I mean if it actually exists it would be all science wouldn't it? This is probably getting too philosophical

If you can create theories that can be repeatably tested and observed, then magic can totally be a science.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

flosofl posted:

If you can create theories that can be repeatably tested and observed, then magic can totally be a science.

I feel like it's science up until you have to figure out what parts per million goat blood you need for your summoning circle. Then it hits that this is wierd and gross and not really science at all. Which I hope is the realization that Fitz comes to mid season.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

frgildan posted:

I feel like it's science up until you have to figure out what parts per million goat blood you need for your summoning circle. Then it hits that this is wierd and gross and not really science at all. Which I hope is the realization that Fitz comes to mid season.

Nah, there can totally be science behind the quantities of goat blood for summoning circles.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

frgildan posted:

Science is a method. If you theorize how much goat blood you need and then test your theory to find the exact amount, you are doing science.

The only thing that makes something capital M Magic is the writers saying that what's happening is Magic.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alexeythegreat posted:

That movie has been canned.

Yeah, supposedly Perlmutter was the one pushing for an Inhumans movie because he has a huge bug up his rear end about making comics for characters Marvel doesn't have the rights to. When Disney stepped in and kicked him out of everything to do with the movies, Feige quietly took Inhumans off the schedule.

• Locked thread