Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so on consideration of all this wonderful advice I'm gonna get some help about the booze on monday, sign up for a gym, and if I can't transfer I'll drop out and try to do something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Phi230 posted:

Ok so on consideration of all this wonderful advice I'm gonna get some help about the booze on monday, sign up for a gym, and if I can't transfer I'll drop out and try to do something else

quitter.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Jesus Christ, dude. I don't know if you're a troll or whatever, but take my been-there-as-a-1L advice and get help for substance abuse. It helps. Immensely.

And I'm still alive, I've just decided to actually bear down this year with minimal distractions.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Toona the Cat posted:

Jesus Christ, dude. I don't know if you're a troll or whatever, but take my been-there-as-a-1L advice and get help for substance abuse. It helps. Immensely.

And I'm still alive, I've just decided to actually bear down this year with minimal distractions.

quitter.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
To be fair, practicing lawyers still have plenty of nightmares about law school, even middle-aged ones I've talked to. But that's true of college and high school too.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

In all fairness, I actually find working as a lawyer far, far less stressful than I ever found law school.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

In all fairness, I actually find working as a lawyer far, far less stressful than I ever found law school.

In fairness, you work for the government.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 13, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Discendo Vox posted:

A recent doctor's visit confirms that I permanently damaged my hands outlining and annotating during law school. I'm getting scans done in a month. She wanted me to take a painkiller scrip.

Go to law school.

I have tendonitis and carpel tunnel and have to control my computer via voice, and can no longer play video games.

Go to law school.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

We have a nice campus but like 2/3 of the offices have no windows

2/3 of examiners don't produce work that deserves a window.

I kid, I kid. (It's more like 9/10.)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

poo poo. I'll issue refunds on the death pool tomorrow, folks.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

We have a nice campus but like 2/3 of the offices have no windows

You have a pokemon gym right on campus though.

I bet the ptab judges stack it with 3000 cp dragonites.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zo posted:

You have a pokemon gym right on campus though.

I bet the ptab judges stack it with 3000 cp dragonites.

Oh poo poo my school is a gym too drat gotta compete even more with my fellow students

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

Real chat: I'm legit glad to hear that you aren't dead, have gotten help for your alcoholism, and are working to do well in school.

Goon chat: have you gotten head from the study partner yet?

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's complicated but yes.

It's a bit of a "woe is me" story, but he was in the law school and came up to me to say hi. He was super chill and couldn't understand why I didn't get offered. He actually wrote a letter of recommendation for me, all I need to do is contact his secretary and they'll edit the "To" line. I actually like a lot of people I worked with, the guy who called with the bad news was so confused by the firm's decision he had called the judge I worked with 2 summers ago to talk with her and they were also confused by the complaints he'd had.

I didn't add but I'm making things a bit harder for myself than I need to with my job search. I took four years off between undergrad and law school. I grew up in New England, moved to Los Angeles, then went to Law School at Iowa (so if any Iowa students are on here, my cover is blown, see you at tailgating tomorrow). I say "making things harder for myself" because I'm not really looking at jobs in Iowa. The firm' s stated reason for not hiring me was absolute nonsense about work product. In my heart I know the real reason is because I didn't fit with the firm's culture. I didn't appreciate in our 2L interviews how conservative (not just politically) the firm operated. In some ways they "hid" the culture of the firm behind the cool people they send out to do the hiring interviews. The reason they guy who wrote my letter of recommendation was even in the building was because he was there to do interviews of 3Ls.

I have no interest working with Iowa firms. I had a good feeling I didn't want to work at a firm from the time I started law school but I tried to make a long-term decision and within a few weeks I was already unhappy with the firm. Frankly, they did me a favor. As the saying goes, "You can still fail doing the things you don't want to do, so why not fail at the thing you want to do?" With that in mind I'm only applying to places in New England and government opportunities. I know I'm limiting myself, but I've already made a wrong decision for the right reasons.

Ideally I'd like to work in criminal litigation. I knew that a year ago and it's more clear now. I have a callback interview with a public defender office in New England in 2 weeks. That's the job I really want, though I do have more things in the pipeline. I wouldn't say I'm panicking, but things are definitely stressful.

That's an exceedingly long answer to a straightforward question, sorry. Needed to vent to someone other than my girlfriend and heaven forbid law students show empathy

Did you show any interest in trial work while in law school? Like, mock trial, moot court, close connection to a crimlaw/evidence professor? Those kind of profs tend to be well connected to nearby public defenders, and it's all about knowing SOMEONE. Being a public defender pays essentially nothing, but it's about as enjoyable as lawyer work can get, provided you like trials and can deal with the background stress levels associated with having way too many clients you've spoken to and kind of sympathize with who will almost certainly get life altering jail sentences, despite your best efforts, most of the time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TheMadMilkman posted:

Goon chat: have you gotten head from the study partner yet?

Let's be real for a moment: If there ever was a time, it is now.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Lots of Iowa law graduates in Saipan. You can take my job when I leave.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Being a public defender pays essentially nothing, but it's about as enjoyable as lawyer work can get, provided you like trials and can deal with the background stress levels associated with having way too many clients you've spoken to and kind of sympathize with who will almost certainly get life altering jail sentences, despite your best efforts, most of the time.
I mean, it's not like it's anywhere near as stressful as, say, a midterm.

Assuming you're not just trolling,
Phi230, l've given this a lot of thought. From now on...your thread name is Flounder.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

joat mon posted:

I mean, it's not like it's anywhere near as stressful as, say, a midterm.

Assuming you're not just trolling,
Phi230, l've given this a lot of thought. From now on...your thread name is Flounder.

Why flounder?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Animal House you whippersnapper

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Animal House you whippersnapper

i was expecting you to shout "WHY NOT" as is the quote

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry man you teed that one up, i'm going to go pull my head out of my rear end

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MoFauxHawk posted:

To be fair, practicing lawyers still have plenty of nightmares about law school, even middle-aged ones I've talked to. But that's true of college and high school too.

law school was easy peasy idk who the gently caress would have nightmares about it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

law school: pay vague attention in class, take four hours of class, goof off all semester because the finals are open book so who the gently caress cares as long as you remember that your book has a table of contents and an index

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

law school: pay vague attention in class, take four hours of class, goof off all semester because the finals are open book so who the gently caress cares as long as you remember that your book has a table of contents and an index

this.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Wish my law school had not had mandatory attendance, cold calls, punishment for not doing well in cold calls, and open book tests.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

evilweasel posted:

I'm not saying law school was particularly hard (though if you're in a curved class, it's as easy or hard as the other students), but that doesn't mean I don't have the standard school nightmares where I realize there's a final exam and I haven't gone to class all semester, or I never did a paper I was supposed to do and I'm not going to graduate on time, or something like that.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Also I straight up found law school hard. I'll admit it.

Thank god government side litigation is easy. And when I lose, it's really all the other taxpayers who lose!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The secret to avoiding cold calls is to have a taco least skimmed everything and periodically answer questions tossed out freely. If you talk a few times they'll quickly start to skip over you for any cold calls because they want to get the quiet people.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I didn't find law school easy or stressful. Practice is stressful because it's real life, and although I have a job and so I'm not constantly worrying about whether I will get a job, instead I am constantly worrying about whether my clients will keep needing me, or if they will go out of business or stop doing business where I can represent them, or they will hold against me some poo poo that is totally out of my control like jury verdicts, or they will change management and decide they want a different lawyer altogether, or whatever. Also I now have a family and kids and all the stress (and joy obviously) that comes with that. Also I'm older and that is starting to noticeably suck.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Mr. Nice! posted:

The secret to avoiding cold calls is to have a taco

:captainpop:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

The secret to avoiding cold calls is to have a taco least skimmed everything and periodically answer questions tossed out freely. If you talk a few times they'll quickly start to skip over you for any cold calls because they want to get the quiet people.

Lol taco

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
i work for the government it's awesome I work from home in my boxers and drink in moderation!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
SO I'm also in 1st year classes and it's going pretty well I think, I'm way ahead on all my readings and assignments, I enjoy talking with (most of) my professors both in class and out, I don't get the big deal with "cold calling", it's just answering questions and I would have easily aced any of them, and even if I didn't so what? Are we supposed to collectively laugh at the people who don't deliver good answers? I try to answer every question in class and I wish they would call on me more, or just move on to another person when the first idiot obviously hasn't even skimmed the material. I've already downloaded final exams for my profs where available and if not, final exams for the subject from other profs and schools, and going through them I think I have probably already got 60%-70% of the answers.

I don't spend much time exploring St Louis because it's the murder capital of the US and cops drive around with their personal Kalashnikov and drum magazines and plant guns on black people they execute so I just go straight home after school and any free time is either gym or cooking meals. No more gym for the next week or so though because there's some stupid debate going on in the gym.

I don't drink anything, I don't even drink coffee because it gives me heartburn. I also don't have internet at my living quarters, so I don't get distracted from my reading, and it saves me $30/month. Well that's my story thanks for reading.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Also are these casebooks supposed to be written by lawyers beause jesus christ there are a lot of dumb typos and massive copy/paste errors. I just read a page of poo poo about the "North American Treaty organization" 's war on Libya.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Where do you go to school, WUSTL?

E: could be worse: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/washu/jobs/2015/

The Dagda fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 3, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Dagda posted:

Where do you go to school, WUSTL?

E: could be worse: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/washu/jobs/2015/

god drat, one of the best Midwest schools and 1/4 of the grads don't have full time legal jobs

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm obviously going to try my best to transfer.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

At my school, a wrong answer when being called on meant you had to write a 3-5 page paper on the subject that night, to be turned in by 8am. If it wasn't the correct answer, you had to do it again.

It loving sucked and I hate that school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

lol gunner