Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Volcott posted:

If you want creepy anime bullshit buy a Vita. That's the entire reason it exists.

Vita's dead though so steam store is picking up the slack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just remembered that time they tried to spin people upset about video games featuring the sexual objectification of children by calling them "neo-puritans"

Dang if only this applied to Penn State University coaches as well, but can't tarnish that record, no sir!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

havenwaters posted:

Vita's dead though so steam store is picking up the slack.

Persona 4 Platinum coming to Steam Q4 2017.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SunAndSpring posted:

I have no idea how these guys think that American translators and editors getting rid of content that sexualizes minors to avoid scandal and/or a higher ESRB rating is equivalent to fascist-style censorship.

Well if you're very reductionist--and after all it's easy to be very reductionist--then it's censorship, and censorship is supposed to be Bad, so therefore this is bad. It's not hard to see it from either perspective.

Is it?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

fits my needs posted:

Dang if only this applied to Penn State University coaches as well, but can't tarnish that record, no sir!

The people who still support Joe after all that insanity are literal trash people.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've been reading Carville and Matalin's "Alls Fair" and it's loving great

Carville is a loving fox

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

fits my needs posted:

Wait doesn't this guy have some weird rumors swirling around him about how he was hooking up with underage girls when he was in Russia? Is that valid? lol

It's not really a "rumor". Mark Ames wrote a bunch of articles back in the Exile days about his and Tabbi exploits in Russia.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
People for some reason don't get that Bayonetta is drag, mocking the concepts of femininity and masculinity.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.f672bba6088c

quote:

In the class recorded for “Do Not Resist,” Grossman at one point tells his students that the sex they have after they kill another human being will be the best sex of their lives. The room chuckles. But he’s clearly serious. “Both partners are very invested in some very intense sex,” he says. “There’s not a whole lot of perks that come with this job. You find one, relax and enjoy it.”

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also every horror and suspense film ever. I had to stop watching police procedurals when I realized all of them are about uncritically celebrating the intersection of eroticism and violence

The Taint has the protagonist shooting dicks off with a .44 magnum. So it's got that on other movies.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Pirate Radar posted:

Well if you're very reductionist--and after all it's easy to be very reductionist--then it's censorship, and censorship is supposed to be Bad, so therefore this is bad. It's not hard to see it from either perspective.

Is it?

This is by far the most annoying pervasive opinion on Reddit.

Like I don't think anybody really noticed but I posted an article in the last thread about an rear end in a top hat who dressed up in a gorilla suit and passed out bananas tied with nooses to members of a Black Lives Matter rally and got arrested for it.

Reddit's hot take? "Doesn't he have first amendment rights? :byodood:"

edit: In case anyone's interested in the article.

lozzle fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 1, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Endorph posted:

On the other hand, that guy is acknowledging that women like and enjoy sex. That's pretty progressive for the republican party.

nah he's just telling his followers to lay off the marital rape for a lil bit

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Pirate Radar posted:

Is it?

It absolutely is censorship, but all censorship isn't bad.

"Censorship", like "tolerance" or "discrimination" have taken on these sorts of intrinsic good and bad qualities where people seem to have collectively forgotten that it's not the act, but the reason for the act that is good or bad. This is why we see people twisting themselves into pretzels trying to justify being intolerant of bigots as not "really" intolerance or this as not "really" censorship.

There are things that deserve censoring (at least the voluntary kind) there are things that deserve discriminating against, there are things that should not be tolerated.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The entire Draper piece is worth a read.

I used to think Trump would become a useful idiot for the GOP and just staff his WH with Republican policy flacks, but Hannity as CoS would... not be that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Antti posted:

I used to think Trump would become a useful idiot for the GOP and just staff his WH with Republican policy flacks, but Hannity as CoS would... not be that.

If you thought that Trump would fill his cabinet with anything but his cronies, I don't know what to tell you other than you're dumb.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jarmak posted:

"Censorship", like "tolerance" or "discrimination" have taken on these sorts of intrinsic good and bad qualities where people seem to have collectively forgotten that it's not the act, but the reason for the act that is good or bad. This is why we see people twisting themselves into pretzels trying to justify being intolerant of bigots as not "really" intolerance or this as not "really" censorship.

There are things that deserve censoring (at least the voluntary kind) there are things that deserve discriminating against, there are things that should not be tolerated.

Yeah, people focus a lot on performance instead of outcomes and that's how you get this attitude of "censorship therefore bad!" that leads to people pitching a fit about something that's not super consequential for them (like toning down VG sexuality).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

drilldo squirt posted:

The people who still support Joe after all that insanity are literal trash people.

I immediately read this as Joementum and was like, his predictions before the Repub primary weren't that bad :raise:

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

iospace posted:

If you thought that Trump would fill his cabinet with anything but his cronies, I don't know what to tell you other than you're dumb.

In all fairness to Antti, it is conceivable that Trump is so dumb that he could be manipulated by the Republican establishment to do pretty much whatever they want.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I only read the last 5 pages so far so sorrry if I missed this being posted but it's a decent quick sum-up of everything that's bit Trump in the rear end this past week. He goes through them one at a time

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/782236867232096260

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Antti posted:

Considering his own campaign managers can only keep him 'restrained' for like a month at a time at best I don't know why anyone would assume the GOP would be able to control him. That's why the possibility of his winning is dangerous: He's an erratic and volatile man who likes denigrating and hurting others and displays of strength, whose qualification for 'are you any good' is 'how nice of things do you say about me'.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

iospace posted:

The Senate still needs to confirm them. I definitely didn't expect Doctor Bornstein to become Secretary of Health and Human Services. I thought the machine would take advantage of his ineptitude and inexperience and "help" him populate the cabinet, just like he was obviously given a list of names he had never heard of to tweet as his SCOTUS picks.

Campaigning is fun. Running an administration isn't.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

iospace posted:

There was a time when we imagined the elites would be able to muzzle, or at least distract, and control Trump. Basically controlling everything in quiet while Bozo the Clown distracted everyone from the group's plans by collectively humiliating the nation.

We were obviously wrong in hindsight. Very wrong. But, hey, hindsight is 20/20

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Inferior Third Season posted:

Everyone's opinions are always equally valid, guys. So, shut up.

You guys are being really unfair to this article, or just not reading the whole thing, or... I don't know what, exactly.

Taibbi is absolutely right that the current state of the media exists because it's what people want.

quote:

So media consumers are reduced to blaming the closeness of the race on a species they've practically made extinct with their choices over the years: investigative reporters.

Like, there's a whole thread in this forum right now discussing this exact issue. Journalism is dying because you can't fund a polished and flashy 24/7 news network on investigative journalism. You can't even fund a lovely online news magazine with it. The problem isn't that journalists aren't doing their jobs, it's that the job they're being paid to do isn't real journalism.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Antti posted:

I definitely didn't expect Doctor Bornstein to become Secretary of Health and Human Services.

Well of course not. He's gonna be Surgeon General, dummy. :downs:

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Paradoxish posted:

You guys are being really unfair to this article, or just not reading the whole thing, or... I don't know what, exactly.

Taibbi is absolutely right that the current state of the media exists because it's what people want.

Like, there's a whole thread in this forum right now discussing this exact issue. Journalism is dying because you can't fund a polished and flashy 24/7 news network on investigative journalism. You can't even fund a lovely online news magazine with it. The problem isn't that journalists aren't doing their jobs, it's that the job they're being paid to do isn't real journalism.

"The people complaining about "false balance" usually seem confident in having discovered the truth of things for themselves, despite the media's supposed incompetence. They're quite sure of whom to vote for and why. Their complaints are really about the impact that "false balance" coverage might have on other, lesser humans, with weaker minds than theirs. Which is not just snobbish, but laughably snobbish. So, shut up."

Yeah no this poo poo is dumb and the author of it is dumb.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/782272019442401280

He's not real. Can't be.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wow, a lot of that gear is pretty awesome looking. Are we going to see some of this stuff coming up at police auctions eventually or will it be destroyed? I don't think they would just destroy a potential revenue stream right? I mean, they sell squad cars.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

He is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jarmak posted:

i mean, i think there's room for nuance in this kind of conversation. like the fact that that fire emblem game removed a fairly innocuous bit of fluff (people call it 'groping' but you can only touch their faces), and then also rewrote the homosexual romance options in a way that made them fairly noticeably worse, or at least less about actual homosexuality, and had a fairly bad translation overall with some noticeable errors and a really bland writing style. There's room for valid criticism there, that time was spent reworking the game to be more PR friendly instead of actually translating it well and doing a good job on the parts that mattered. but all the vagina bones types have really poisoned the well on that kind of discussion.

that said video game censorship is not what this thread is about so let's talk about that cop who thinks killing a man made sex better for him.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Daily reminder that Donald is older than Hillary

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

That's kind of a letdown from the insane hidden projector tweets from yesterday.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

lozzle posted:

In all fairness to Antti, it is conceivable that Trump is so dumb that he could be manipulated by the Republican establishment to do pretty much whatever they want.

Despite all evidence to the contrary, except his tax plan becoming more in line with what the GOP wants.

Antti posted:

The Senate still needs to confirm them. I definitely didn't expect Doctor Bornstein to become Secretary of Health and Human Services. I thought the machine would take advantage of his ineptitude and inexperience and "help" him populate the cabinet, just like he was obviously given a list of names he had never heard of to tweet as his SCOTUS picks.

Campaigning is fun. Running an administration isn't.

That is true, but a large part of his "mystique" is the fact that he's supposedly surrounded himself in his business with the "best and brightest". I've had people tell me that to my face, and he (if he somehow gets elected) is going to shove his picks through above whatever the GOP wants.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I only read the last 5 pages so far so sorrry if I missed this being posted but it's a decent quick sum-up of everything that's bit Trump in the rear end this past week. He goes through them one at a time

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/782236867232096260

:sbahj:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

lozzle posted:

"The people complaining about "false balance" usually seem confident in having discovered the truth of things for themselves, despite the media's supposed incompetence. They're quite sure of whom to vote for and why. Their complaints are really about the impact that "false balance" coverage might have on other, lesser humans, with weaker minds than theirs. Which is not just snobbish, but laughably snobbish. So, shut up."

Yeah no this poo poo is dumb and the author of it is dumb.

You saw that Taibbi literally calls Donald Trump "one of the dumbest people on the planet" two paragraphs below that quote, right? He's not making a truth-is-in-the-middle argument. The snippet you're quoting is talking about the motivations of people who complain about false balance, not the merits of it.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Taibbi owns. I haven't read the article yet but so far what's been posted is pretty uncontroversial and quite correct.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/AspanKyn/status/782274918071140352

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Paradoxish posted:

You saw that Taibbi literally calls Donald Trump "one of the dumbest people on the planet" two paragraphs below that quote, right? He's not making a truth-is-in-the-middle argument. The snippet you're quoting is talking about the motivations of people who complain about false balance, not the merits of it.

Well uh it they have merit then maybe their motivation is actually that it's loving true.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I recommend adding Frontline's new 2hr episode "The Choice 2016" to the OP. Has a bunch of information I haven't heard anywhere else, great content.

full stream here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/the-choice-2016/

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

smg77 posted:

That's kind of a letdown from the insane hidden projector tweets from yesterday.

He's also reassuring his followers that the only reason she's leading in any polls is that they're skewed at D+9

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

lozzle posted:

Well uh it they have merit then maybe their motivation is actually that it's loving true.

Holy poo poo, dude.

The point is that Taibbi isn't arguing in favor of false balance. In fact, the entire article is a condemnation of it. What he's (correctly) arguing against is the blame that's placed on journalists. They are doing their jobs. Their job is to create content that makes money for the company that employs them. If you don't like that, then find a way to get people to actually pay for investigative journalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
well i think the media consensus is snobbish, and booj, and, uh, sheepleish? yeah take that Matt "trash can" Tabbi, you loving, two story ivory tower dickbag, yeah.

• Locked thread