Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I think roughly half of the player base does that, pubbies included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

NT Plus posted:

I'm still on a quest for the perfect MMO and I like text-based stuff.

Being that I'm that scumbag that sits in the desk at the far back wall of the office, is this something I could low-key "play" at work? :downs:

I think we're more active during work hours, and there is IT venting and bitching in chat. Maybe a useful question and answer too!

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Haha oh wow it actually is browser-based.

In as NtPlus.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

NT Plus posted:

Haha oh wow it actually is browser-based.

In as NtPlus.

Invite sent

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

new thread title: 17:57:55 fvicodin : You'd be amazed at what you can break your pants doing

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

oldskool posted:

new thread title: 17:57:55 fvicodin : You'd be amazed at what you can break your pants doing

Someone with PMs send this to a mod to get it changed (if it's not too long).

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Amaranthine: You'd be amazed at what you can break your pants doing

Looks a bit long. Maybe:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Amaranthine: You'd be amazed how you can break your pants

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
First one's fine, you actually have another 8 characters spare

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
10/10 title, thank you.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

In other news:

And Senso's about to drop off another 3k. Use it!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you're a woodcutter on the second island you should be chowing down on Steamed Shellfish - helps produce more treefrogs so we can have more frog legs for the push to stockpile mana items for newbies

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Fixed the chart logic so it will cycle and display any number of guilds; I was manually filtering two guilds in the previous pictures in a really un-scaleable way.
It now ranks all guilds found according to their combined gain amount. The top 6 are displayed by default; but you can filter down to any guild using the textbox supplied.

I'm going to keep playing with the weighted scores idea; but the semi-permanent url will be https://chunjee.github.io/PPA-Amar/

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 27, 2017

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

why the weird spider web instead of something simpler like a bar graph?

that graph creates "areas" that present misleading info... for instance, if speed and gathering were adjacent, they'd make a much greater "area" for gray than how they're currently set up

not a big deal, just wondering what led you to that vis

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Ruggan posted:

why the weird spider web instead of something simpler like a bar graph?

that graph creates "areas" that present misleading info... for instance, if speed and gathering were adjacent, they'd make a much greater "area" for gray than how they're currently set up

not a big deal, just wondering what led you to that vis

The area and even the axis scales don't matter. It makes it easy to see that we're getting more xp than other guilds in most skills. With bars you'd have a harder time seeing that at a glance since you'd either have to look at every set of bars or be really confused with stacked bars. See wikipedia on radar charts. The light grey coloring for slumber is awful though

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 27, 2016

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

gwrtheyrn posted:

The area and even the axis scales don't matter. It makes it easy to see that we're getting more xp than other guilds in most skills. With bars you'd have a harder time seeing that at a glance since you'd either have to look at every set of bars or be really confused with stacked bars. See wikipedia on radar charts. The light grey coloring for slumber is awful though

http://peltiertech.com/spider-chart-alternatives posted:

Radar charts are not very effective, despite their frequent appearance where scores in a set of categories are being compared. Their radial nature gives more emphasis to larger values toward the outside of the chart. If there are any zero values, the chart can become very difficult to read:

https://uncorkedstudios.com/blog/visualizing-alignment-with-radar-charts posted:

The combination of data that is plotted along spokes and the color fill that is applied back towards the center make the visual information about area instead of length. The area inside a chart of all 10’s (in the rs mode) should approach 100 pi (pi r^2). The area inside a chart of all nines only diminished by 10% for each vote. However, the visual representation of area is 81 pi, which is 19% less than the area of All 10’s. And All 5’s is a miserable 25 pi, 75% less than All 10’s. The visual weight tends towards the larger numbers, and the low numbers, while noticeable at times, speak very quietly in an area format.

http://blog.scottlogic.com/2011/09/23/a-critique-of-radar-charts.html posted:

Therefore, barring occlusion, comparing values for a single variable between series is straightforward and relatively effortless since it merely consists of assessing their position along a line, something we are able to do without any thought.

Yea, except comparing single variable values is also easy to do in something simpler, like a bar or line chart...

https://www.perceptualedge.com/articles/dmreview/radar_graphs.pdf posted:

Radar graphs are more difficult to read than bar and line graphs, so you should avoid them except in circumstances when they offer clear advantages that offset the disadvantages. Most people use them gratuitously, but here are three reasons that I've either heard or personally considered as potential justifications for using them:
• The data consists of multiple measures that require different quantitative scales, which a bar graph cannot accommodate.
• The objective of the graph is to assess the symmetry of the values rather than to compare their magnitudes.
• The data fits a circular display because it is intuitively circular in nature or by convention.

Even the wikipedia page lists a huge number of limitations.

I get that this is getting kinda :goonsay: and ultimately I don't really care but I just think spider charts are generally bad visualizations... not trying to poo poo on Chunjee though

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Line chart would probably be better since it's basically the same thing unwrapped on a linear axis instead of radial. I still wouldn't say bars are better

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

No offense taken. Originally planned radar because I thought it looked cool. Changing to a bar or line is literally (original meaning) a one word change.

Leaving it as a line for now; since that seems pretty decent for this data. Bar was confusing at least to me. I kinda miss radar already so I know it's probably going to turn into a dropdown option.

Bar:

Line:

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Stacked Line:

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
So it looks like we're invested too heavily in gathering food for our fat asses. Not enough high level production factories.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

So it looks like we're invested too heavily in gathering food for our fat asses. Not enough high level production factories.

We're early game compared to most people. Having buff food is still very useful to us compared to pubbies who can just magic buff to what they need. They also don't share as much so helping the new guy isn't a concern. Why should he get a free ride when I had to work so hard!

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

We're [fat] goons and you're wondering why we're more concerned about getting a bunch of food?

I think a problem (I guess?) is that some people look at what tools we have, what materials we have, and then ask "what do we need?" and the answer is usually "uhhh, logs I guess?/Always need logs". And there's not really encouragement for people to train the production skills since we've started getting into the "Gotta get pinks/superiors" mindset, so we want to have the highest skill level players making everything.

As for fishing, fishing loving sucks and is terrible. Grumpy needs to overhaul fishing, or at least give it a good impartial once over and make some improvements. Its unfortunate that a lot of mana food comes out of it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Coffeehitler posted:

We're [fat] goons and you're wondering why we're more concerned about getting a bunch of food?

I think a problem (I guess?) is that some people look at what tools we have, what materials we have, and then ask "what do we need?" and the answer is usually "uhhh, logs I guess?/Always need logs". And there's not really encouragement for people to train the production skills since we've started getting into the "Gotta get pinks/superiors" mindset, so we want to have the highest skill level players making everything.

As for fishing, fishing loving sucks and is terrible. Grumpy needs to overhaul fishing, or at least give it a good impartial once over and make some improvements. Its unfortunate that a lot of mana food comes out of it.

Fishing is just terrible early on. Once you get to 30+ It gets a lot easier and you get actually useful fish instead of useful random drops with mostly useless fish.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

We do need a few more mid to high level smiths/carpenters, but those in that range have been progressing rather nicely on their own so I haven't seen any need to encourage anyone.

Similarly we have a few new up-and-coming cooks who are doing a good job of boiling down our huge piles of fish/shellfish. And a few new alchemists as well.

The problem is everything STILL bottlenecks on gathering - herbs for the alchemists, peppers for the cooks, berries for dyes for clothes. This month (and next) with a pumpkin being equivalent to an entire cherry pie of course we're going to be deep into gathering right now.

Unless we go all five-year plan and perfectly plan every action everyone does, there's going to be ups and downs in our supply and demand. But every time we've needed something, people will eventually step up to fix the problem.

btwchopmorespruce

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Roflex posted:

We do need a few more mid to high level smiths/carpenters, but those in that range have been progressing rather nicely on their own so I haven't seen any need to encourage anyone.

I've started on high level bottles, so you should hopefully see me continue to advance up the smithing ladder. Besides just going for bottles though, I need some assistance on knowing what you all need me to make, so please place orders so they can be fulfilled.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Solvency posted:

I need some assistance on knowing what you all need me to make, so please place orders so they can be fulfilled.

Same, but for Tailoring. I'm totally cool with taking work orders for whatever we need sewn together. Just lemme know.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

neogeo0823 posted:

Same, but for Tailoring. I'm totally cool with taking work orders for whatever we need sewn together. Just lemme know.

Pink blue mittens please. I've been feeding flax for a while now, I think we're around 9k and I've got about 1k on me as I've been going back to flax while I wait on apples to cycle.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
16:31:59 From awesomefox8 : can i join your clan honk honk
16:33:45 To awesomefox8 : If you are actually interested, we are accepting new members, but we have a rigorous application process.
16:38:19 To awesomefox8 : We need an essay about your gaming history, with a particular focus on idle, text-based, and MMO titles. We also need a sense of your schedule and availability during the week so we know how many man hours you can contribute.
16:46:07 From awesomefox8 : i can normally play from 5am to 7am and in the afternoons i can play from 3pm to 9pm, and ive also been playing amaranthine for 1 year but ive died atleast 3 times, ive played multiple mmos like stardew valley and terraria and minecraft.
16:48:27 To awesomefox8 : Hmm... it seems like you registered in April, which is only about six months. I know you want to puff your resume, but we value precision and accuracy.
16:49:09 To awesomefox8 : I am a senior member of the hiring committee, so I could put in a good word for you. However, I would need you to write a more formal essay about your qualifications and post it in the guild forum.
16:49:35 To awesomefox8 : We usually set a word count at 1,500, but given that you have some experience I can slash it to 750.
16:50:00 From awesomefox8 : ok

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

:golfclap: well done. Perfect milking.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Stardew Valley is not an MMO.

Application denied for being lies.

LIES

(fakeedit: alternatively, wait until next month when our name has changed again and when he asks for an update (because you know he will), tell him "sorry, you applied to join Honk Honk, but we're <insert new name here> and we don't consider Honk Honk-era applications. Would you like to start the application process again?")

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I do have to give him a little credit--upon re-reading the forum post, I noticed he actually did amend his "one year" of Amar experience down to six months.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Fruit Soup Riot posted:

I do have to give him a little credit--upon re-reading the forum post, I noticed he actually did amend his "one year" of Amar experience down to six months.

still full of lies

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I said 5000 words, damnit it's supposed to be a massive spergy rant about how much they love videogames and are a virgin.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

lmao

But I can't accept this without proper capitalization.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I didn't realize we'd changed names and was really confused at who else was trolling pubs when I read that guy's post.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Does anyone in this game roleplay? I was thinking of showing it to a group of MUD dorks I know but uh, they will want to roleplay. It's kind of their thing.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Zoe posted:

Does anyone in this game roleplay? I was thinking of showing it to a group of MUD dorks I know but uh, they will want to roleplay. It's kind of their thing.

Can't get worse in world chat.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Zoe posted:

Well pubbies do it, but not really in universe context. There's a guy that hits on all the people with vaguely female names with hilarious uncaring misspellings. Anyone that thinks he is literally a cat. As long as it's not creepy it's an improvement!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

If anything it'll further the push for a RP chat channel.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

quote:

23:16:59 LilAlYouAllKnow: Cone?
23:17:05 LilAlYouAllKnow: From Amar?
23:17:11 Aversin[Ashia]: Cones yeah
23:17:13 3x0du5[Home]: Nelgite doesn't sound like an ore to me
23:17:26 LilAlYouAllKnow: Hell NO!
23:17:33 LilAlYouAllKnow: have you seen em in Amar?
23:17:36 LilAlYouAllKnow: NO!
23:17:43 LilAlYouAllKnow: I dont wanna b part of that stuff.
23:17:44 Aversin[Ashia]: A bunchbof them just joined abput 2 hours ago
23:17:56 LilAlYouAllKnow: imagine my old self times 50 times worse
23:18:04 LilAlYouAllKnow: dont trust em
23:18:08 LilAlYouAllKnow: sly bastards
23:18:12 3x0du5[Home]: I think Nelgite sounds more like some a type of bird
23:18:18 LilAlYouAllKnow: Welp, see ya all.
23:18:19 Aversin[Ashia]: I only played amar for about 2 weeks last july
23:18:29 Execution[MAD]: Australian bird
23:18:32 LilAlYouAllKnow: Hope to play again later
Barraiya logged in
LilAlYouAllKnow logged out

We didn't even say anything.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
You should mention that chat is from http://movoda.net/ the terrible game amar is based on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

You should mention that chat is from http://movoda.net/ the terrible game amar is based on.

We anger people just by existing this is the best troll ever. Also holy 5 minute botchecks on movoda