Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

We Know Catheters posted:

Cause they keep doing the same moves over...

That's called proper SFV gameplay.
If you don't play by the flowchart then you've got no business playing SFV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
The west coast only tournament is coming up on Sunday night. Checkin is at 7:45pm PST fights are at 8pm.

http://challonge.com/SiberianExpress9

Even if you aren't sure we would love to have you sign up because you can just skip the check-in if you cant make it.
He is likely going to be using the Swiss Tournament system which means more over all matches for everyone.

edit: here have an impossible crossup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AolpO54I3KI

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 1, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

I keep getting matched with bots, why play this game online?

Once you learn like a bread and butter combo and do that a bunch you will get out of the 0 lp range and wont have to fight bots anymore (or not as often)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

There are a crazy number of dudes paying electricity bills to have necali spam lk.

Im super bronze and if i play before 5pm i get several different ones cause i guess everyone is still working except the turbo button autopilot dudes and the sad part is some have points.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

I see these comments all the time and don't get them. A games artist likely has no clue how to work with networking or engine fundamentals. Making crappy skins isn't going to slow down development of the various fixes this game needs.

Cause they keep doing the same moves over...

Plenty of just bad players do that. Not sure that's really proof they are bots.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 1, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

I see these comments all the time and don't get them. A games artist likely has no clue how to work with networking or engine fundamentals. Making crappy skins isn't going to slow down development of the various fixes this game needs.

this argument has happened before and anyway the stort story is i won

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Capcom are so bad they're loving over people that aren't even playing SFV.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
this game rules

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jack Trades posted:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

im at a loss for words

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mega Comrade posted:

this hasn't really been the issue. the issue is this game often has a lot of problems and capcom ignores glaring problems in their messaging while talking about stuff like this. it's their tone-deaf nature of their communication and inability to acknowledge problems people have with the game.

if they straight up went: "our netcode could use some work, but we feel it is better than sf4's netcode. also, the input delay is done to normalize netplay and also all of the platforms since we couldn't make them 1:1 without it and once implemented we found it makes the game more aggressive." then people would be giving wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy less of a poo poo about stuff like this. it creates this aura of total cluelessness.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Yeah, 100% of their messaging right now should be apologizing for a giant gently caress up and any number of mea culpas to the player base and seven of they're putting out new stuff it should be in that context instead "Heh, check this out!"

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
They might be actually clueless though.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Jack Trades posted:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Capcom's PR is horrendous, which is surprising considering all their well-regarded community member hires and attempts to cooperate and work with the FGC. I mean, that's probably all on Capcom USA's side, then Capcom JPN don't give a gently caress because that's how they Japanese do.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Has anyone told Capcom they don't have a ton of pachinko machines and health spas to fall back on once they burn their franchises to the ground? They may be confused.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mango sentinel posted:

Has anyone told Capcom they don't have a ton of pachinko machines and health spas to fall back on once they burn their franchises to the ground? They may be confused.

unless monster hunter fails, they'll be fine.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's pretty hard for Capcom to explode when SF has been their only failing franchise out of their main ones

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

wet your whistlers mother posted:

It's pretty hard for Capcom to explode when SF has been their only failing franchise out of their main ones

Eh, eeeeh...they just kinda cycle thru "failure", if you ask me. Also Megaman. However, you're not wrong, because Monster Hunter by itself makes up for all of their fuckups.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean Resident Evil has also been a success outside of RE6 which is still their second highest selling game of all time so failure is relative to their sales expectations there. Devil May Cry also, but idk if we can consider that one since Capcom seems like they barely ever want to talk about it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The best messaging from a dev was back when (still is maybe?) you had to click through like 20 different apologies from Konami/KojiProd before you could play MGSV.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Btw GGRXR does own bigly and if it wasnt for FANG I wouldnt be playing sfv at all.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:knope:

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Sadly this fire is housed solely in sf5, their other franchises print money.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't the DMC reboot do terribly

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's not because DMC doesn't make them money it's because Capcom was out to destroy one of their own properties because Keiji Inafune said it was a good idea

DMC4SE came out made most of Capcom's profits for 2015 showing that hey, people like DMC when you aren't intentionally trying to sabotage it

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

Reception wise it did poorly amongst people who expected the reboot to play like the old ones.

Over-all, it actually has fans and the reception was solidly positive, barely even mixed. (I personally was fine with it myself :shrug: a fine mindless action game, not dmc3 or bayonetta but still good fun.)

and its one of capcoms titles that sold over a million if that means anything?

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Sold worse then other in the series, but dmc 2 did too.

Sadly sfv is on the list so this doesn't help my argument, but dmc was a fine game i got for free from ps plus. I was like hey it's not dmc3 but why'd everyone hate it as much as they did, besides it feeling like they marketed to a 90's american teen.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 1, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

https://a.pomf.cat/scccjs.webm

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
They spent a LOT of time, money and effort trying to get the lost planet to be a popular franchise.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SectumSempra posted:

Reception wise it did poorly amongst people who expected the reboot to play like the old ones.

Over-all, it actually has fans and the reception was solidly positive, barely even mixed. (I personally was fine with it myself :shrug: a fine mindless action game, not dmc3 or bayonetta but still good fun.)

and its one of capcoms titles that sold over a million if that means anything?

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

Sold worse then other in the series, but dmc 2 did too.

Sadly sfv is on the list so this doesn't help my argument, but dmc was a fine game i got for free from ps plus. I was like hey it's not dmc3 but why'd everyone hate it as much as they did, besides it feeling like they marketed to a 90's american teen.

If you were not there for that game's pre-release cycle it was not a very good time for DMC fans and the actual game itself is a very lackluster DMC game

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

If you were not there for that game's pre-release cycle it was not a very good time for DMC fans and the actual game itself is a very lackluster DMC game

The issue is neither of those is looking at the game for what it was.

I wasn't expecting a traditional dmc game when i had my limited exposure to pre release stuff, also I don't tend to follow games in prerelease much, because it's usually just a cycle of watching a game get hyped to high heavens for no reason, or delayed for a decade + (Kh3, FF13 versus etc) OR grows to become sf5. and to be fair that likely didn't jade your ordinary consumer looking to try an action game.

I have heard it was a poo poo show, but I was unaffected.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it massively undersold their own expectations, even after they lowered them. It was bad enough that they very quickly went back to using dmc3/4 dante as the canon one in things like the capcom compedium and stuff.

edit:also some games press started writing pissy articles blaming DmC selling poorly on DMC fans not buying it :smugdog:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Because the mainline DMC games are infinitely better

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SectumSempra posted:

The issue is neither of those is looking at the game for what it was.

I wasn't expecting a traditional dmc game when i had my limited exposure to pre release stuff, also I don't tend to follow games in prerelease much, because it's usually just a cycle of watching a game get hyped to high heavens for no reason, or delayed for a decade + (Kh3, FF13 versus etc) OR grows to become sf5. and to be fair that likely didn't jade your ordinary consumer looking to try an action game.

I have heard it was a poo poo show, but I was unaffected.

If you want to look at the game for what it is it's a competent hack n slash game with bad enemy, boss, and stage design. The platforming segments aren't very strong or fun and they had to completely revise the game to make it less loving gimmicky and lovely to the point where it's fun, but still unfulfilling. The game has nothing that genuinely challenges the tools you have.

You being unaffected by the poo poo that happened doesn't change it happened, it just means you're some dude trying to chime in on this game he had significantly less investment in than the majority of its player base.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pomp posted:

it massively undersold their own expectations, even after they lowered them. It was bad enough that they very quickly went back to using dmc3/4 dante as the canon one in things like the capcom compedium and stuff.

edit:also some games press started writing pissy articles blaming DmC selling poorly on DMC fans not buying it :smugdog:

the combat seemed ok but like capcom's obliviousness makes the story super endearing in the mainline franchise, while the ppl making the new one were trying real hard to make it ironically funny or something and we could clearly tell.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
To use an appropriate analogy, DmC is SFEX. Like, the game itself is fine to an extent, but it's not DMC and it's not good enough to make up for it.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
people went in hard to defend the dmc reboot based on the motives of existing fans, quite similar to sf5 actually

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
can we rename this thread to something about just discussing the failures and potential fall of capcom?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've actually entertained the idea of making a Capcom discussion thread that is actually about discussing it over the years and seeing why the gently caress they are so loving hard headed, because it's infinitely more interesting to discuss than anything actually in SFV, but I doubt it's gonna anything other than relentlessly making GBS threads on them for recent years.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I've actually entertained the idea of making a Capcom discussion thread that is actually about discussing it over the years and seeing why the gently caress they are so loving hard headed, because it's infinitely more interesting to discuss than anything actually in SFV, but I doubt it's gonna anything other than relentlessly making GBS threads on them for recent years.

Idk, it might work. People can reminisce about the first time they played Megaman or Street Fighter or whatever, or they can let off steam and complain about Capcom's lovely decisions.