Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You can use anything you want as a token.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Watch posted:

I just bought the Uncommon Knowledge intro deck the other day. I haven't yet played the game, but I was looking through my cards and a few of them mention that they create creature tokens when played. My box didn't come with any tokens of any kind inside it. I'm very confused, how am I supposed to play those cards?

Just mark the tokens with facedown cards or dice or coins or something.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

People frequently use whatever they have on them as tokens, such as spare cards, empty sleeves, or even just dice.

(Don't use just dice)

I clearly swung with my 1/1 soldier token, see how this die is sideways?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i remember using pennies when me and my friends got intro decks

it was good bc on their own they were creatures, but on a card they could be +1+1 counters face up, and -1-1 counters face down

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The Watch posted:

I just bought the Uncommon Knowledge intro deck the other day. I haven't yet played the game, but I was looking through my cards and a few of them mention that they create creature tokens when played. My box didn't come with any tokens of any kind inside it. I'm very confused, how am I supposed to play those cards?

Most Magic Booster packs also come with tokens now. If you want a specific token, you can buy them for like 15-25 cents on tcgplayer.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Count Bleck posted:

I clearly swung with my 1/1 soldier token, see how this die is sideways?

People in my lgs use a die stacked on top of another die to indicate a die is tapped. Don't use just dice.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

You can use anything you want as a token.

What you use has to be clear to see that its tapped or not.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

What you use has to be clear to see that its tapped or not.

Got a rules source for this? I've never been called on it, although I'm not exactly an LGS regular.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Watch posted:

Use any card face down with a die on top to represent its power/toughness

Echoing do not be the guy who uses just a die as a token

uPen posted:

People in my lgs use a die stacked on top of another die to indicate a die is tapped. Don't use just dice.

I bet this is terrible

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

uPen posted:

:stare:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

uPen posted:

*Accidentally bumps the table*

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Buy a few of those d100s to keep track of every conceivable creature.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

Buy a few of those d100s to keep track of every conceivable creature.

I'm gonna roll those d100s right into your x-wangs.

The Watch
Feb 10, 2014

He won't see the sun again for years to come...

He's posting on Something Awful
Megamarm
Thanks for the info! I won't use just dice.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
It's also fun to draw your own tokens if you're even moderately artistic, people always get a kick out of it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Got a rules source for this? I've never been called on it, although I'm not exactly an LGS regular.

I am not going to look it up, but it involves board states. Your board state should be clear to understand involving what is tapped or untapped. A dice on a table used as a token by itself can't show clearly if its tapped or untapped.

Few are going to call people out on this at casual play. I generally bring a spare deckbox in my bag with most tokens available. Generally I just help people out with tokens because it helps both of us. I am not going to let someone use a dice as a token in competitive play but I will let them borrow tokens if they want.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 1, 2016

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

sit on my Facebook posted:

It's also fun to draw your own tokens if you're even moderately artistic, people always get a kick out of it

And if you're not, draw three soldiers on cardstock paper cards anyway, and then after each game ask your opponent to draw another soldier for you. They'll see your awful tokens and know they don't have to be good artists to do one either, and soon enough you'll have a huge stack of tokens.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Lawnie posted:

It's 3.8 under the 'Tournament Rules' document:

Section 3.8 of Tournament Rules posted:

Players using markers to represent in-game components (e.g. permanents) must have a way of clearly representing
any in-game status, such as whether a permanent is tapped. Sleeves or card backs that appear similar to any
player’s sleeves or card backs may not be used as markers.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

SoftNum posted:

It's 3.8 under the 'Tournament Rules' document:

Dice that are parallel to your untapped cards are untapped. Dice that are perpendicular are tapped. :v:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

suicidesteve posted:

Dice that are parallel to your untapped cards are untapped. Dice that are perpendicular are tapped. :v:

Works with a d10, but don't do this with d6s.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Works with a d10, but don't do this with d6s.

It works with a 6!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What if the numbers on the dice are Arabic numbers instead of pips?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also don't use upside down cards in formats with morph. And especially don't pull a card out of the yard to use upside down...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Star Man posted:

What if the numbers on the dice are Arabic numbers instead of pips?

I used to do this in Arabian Nights draft.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

???

What are you talking about?

That is literally the only way that a deck that makes me infatuated could lose to sideboard options.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Post your UG Marvel list!

I mean I'm not at home but I've posted it a lot. The last time being when mcmagic complained about the loot copters (currently not playing them because Turtle is a better blocker than Minister of Inquiries and Turtle can't pilot Lootcopter).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm playing Standard today, but I know someone got a Chandra and a masterpiece Verduous Gearhulk in their sealed pool. Jesus Christ.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean I'm not at home but I've posted it a lot. The last time being when mcmagic complained about the loot copters (currently not playing them because Turtle is a better blocker than Minister of Inquiries and Turtle can't pilot Lootcopter).

Yeah, I know that you have changed it a couple times so I think we just wanted to see the final list (In case you switched it up again)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Especially since your most recent version had no gearhulks in it, and you found them instrumental in your current draft.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I can watch a jessup lose to a 10 year old all day.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Especially one with cross-archetype standard all-star Bonesaw in his deck.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

did we ever get a deck tech of four color aetherflux deck??

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

did we ever get a deck tech of four color aetherflux deck??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd9igT26sSU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Same. I hope the cards don't all spike in price violently!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Same. I hope the cards don't all spike in price violently!

After how terribly it worked (he went 2-4 drop with byes) I don't see that happening.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cactrot posted:

After how terribly it worked (he went 2-4 drop with byes) I don't see that happening.

I can't believe all those cheaters! That has to be what happened!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Day 1 Standard Hype

No G/W tokens on camera. G/W good stuff was though and it seems strong.
B/R aggro on camera a few times. I feel like there are a ton of good creatures that you can mix and match there and it has the best aggressive removal in standard. A friend of mine was pumped.
Thopter and gearhulk were just as good as everything thought.
U/R was better than people thought. I don't know if it is good enough against aggressive decks though.
Hoogs is in the top8 of the field with jeskai flash. If this is close to his 75 for today I am pretty shocked he is doing so well. This deck seems awful. http://themeadery.org/decks/deck/10211/

I expect fragmentize to be a 4 of in a lot of sideboards soon.

I try not to get excited in week one considering how fun last rotation was and how it ended.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 2, 2016

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I pulled an Aether vial, a mana crypt, 2 Chandras, 2 nissa and 2 green gearhulks in my box and fatpack I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

the sexual Shiite posted:

I pulled an Aether vial, a mana crypt, 2 Chandras, 2 nissa and 2 green gearhulks in my box and fatpack I got.

Sucks man, better luck next time, I guess

• Locked thread