Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Charlie could mess with the strings of the newly popped Prince in ways nobody can tell with his Arkendish, so maybe he wants to set up another, more literal puppet side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
rear end in a top hat shoulda made a deal with Bill, then.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Posting the number like that reminds me that the first book finished up 35 pages earlier than this, and I can't even see an end in sight for this one if the fight in the MK wasn't it.

Anyway, "don't be structuralist" is a good line. Mainly because you could replace Signamancy with "Derrida Magic".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quote:

'Cept maybe Hamster.
:shobon:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Also the change in his personality where as before he would do whatever and this time he said he wasn't going to go against anything his two Chief's suggested

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

He's getting used to the idea of sitting back, relaxing and letting someone else do all the hard thinking.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And considering that his weakness as a leader has always been refusing to listen to people smarter than him?

Charlie's afraid of Parson, as he drat well should be, but the fact of the matter is that he's now dealing with Parson, backed by two fully realized Arkentool users, and one of them is ruler of possibly the most powerful side in Erfworld apart from his own.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Stanley seems kind of lonely at the moment. Certainly bored, but I think he misses having his top subordinates to boss around.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So I'm assuming it didn't just say "100%" at the end, since if Parson's theory is right it'll end up back on his arm with or without Benjamin croaking, but it must've been a lot higher than Ben would've liked or he would've just waved it in Parson's face instead of being like "y'know what, I just remembered I left the king on in the other room"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

So I'm assuming it didn't just say "100%" at the end, since if Parson's theory is right it'll end up back on his arm with or without Benjamin croaking, but it must've been a lot higher than Ben would've liked or he would've just waved it in Parson's face instead of being like "y'know what, I just remembered I left the king on in the other room"

It also mentioned flickering, like when Parson asked his chances to cast a spell. I think Rob just realizes that it's better drama for we, as the readers, to not know immediately.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I think it was just a description of the light flickering on, not continuously flickering. That'd probably get a stranger reaction if Benjamin hadn't seen it happen yet.

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.
I'm guessing Parson not having the bracer in the next battle could result in a lot of deaths on TV's side, so the chance of any TV unit is a bit high when the bracers are not returned.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

kwokkie posted:

I'm guessing Parson not having the bracer in the next battle could result in a lot of deaths on TV's side, so the chance of any TV unit is a bit high when the bracers are not returned.

Eh, I doubt that's the reason. If Parson and Benjamin fight the battle together on the same side, Ben will relay to the bracer any question Parson wants to ask.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Eh, I doubt that's the reason. If Parson and Benjamin fight the battle together on the same side, Ben will relay to the bracer any question Parson wants to ask.

If it works with subconcious info that the wearer has, Ben isn't going to be as good at asking the questions as Parson is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VujGNQpRjQ

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The bracer is probably saying 100% or similar because Fate wants it to get back to Parson, and it has been shown to falsify results to get the desired outcome. Ben could probably keep the thing forever but at the same time fate WOULD be trying to get it away from him in potentially lethal ways the whole time.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Onmi posted:

I think Rob just realizes that it's better drama for we, as the readers, to not know immediately.

I figure it's more that giving the exact number is kind of irrelevant if it's not 0 or 100. Dramatically speaking, we know it's something that makes him end the conversation immediately, which is the important part.

NihilCredo posted:

Aside from that being less efficient, I think Parson's reasoning is basically correct here: the items were part and parcel of his summoning. The lucky charms box described the sword, the 3D glasses and the bracers as an effect of the spell compensating for Parson not being perfectly suited to Erfworld. Units pop with their weapons, warlords can con other units, and as the scene with Caesar comparing his gut to the bracer showed, good ones tend to have a decent intuition about situations concerning the side. Parson's items effectively granted him the "perfected" version of those three traits.

(It's also likely that the scroll would cause those items to disappear, much like the Arkenshoes disappeared with Judy.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

(It's also likely that the scroll would cause those items to disappear, much like the Arkenshoes disappeared with Judy.)
I have no idea if this post was made before or after the most recent text update but if it was before, drat. :holymoley:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

By which we mean...New Page!

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Don is really intent on cutting his own throat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Don's issue is that he can't be decisive. He keeps flip-flopping, so he keeps getting swayed by anyone who knows which buttons to push, except the people under him that he should be listening to, because of a personal grudge.

His Signamancy is not one of someone who's used to taking a direct, active, firm role in leadership. Even as a mafia don, he's... gone native, I guess?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

One thing: He didn't say when Parson would need to cast it.

But if this is part of Don's deal with Charlescomm (if one was made) I'd expect Charlie to have thought of it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, if anyone's an expert of conning their way out of their fate, it's Charlie.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I think this is just a bluff. Don wants to measure just how high Parson values himself. Almost any other unit would self-sacrifice if it saved the side millions plus gained a permanent ally.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

I have no idea if this post was made before or after the most recent text update but if it was before, drat. :holymoley:

Heh, thanks. (It was before; the update went up pretty late.)

This update reminds me of this page. Offering him the scroll is like offering Jillian the ring--trying to gauge what kind of person they really are. We've seen Parson admit that he could never leave his side safer with him than without, and even admit to himself he actually cares about everyone at GK, but Don needs to see that for himself.

Either that, or Parson and Caesar's fears were right and Charlie was able to get Vanna to turn Don even while imprisoned, in which case the back-burner plot about the Transylvitans' various true loyalties is about to come to a very quick boil.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hob_Gadling posted:

I think this is just a bluff. Don wants to measure just how high Parson values himself. Almost any other unit would self-sacrifice if it saved the side millions plus gained a permanent ally.

Problem with that, is that Don King quite clearly said this was an agreement with Parson, not with Stanley. Once Parson disappears, how binding does the agreement remain? That's the kind of loophole people like Charlie and Parson look for. Consider this scenario:
1. Transylvito allies with GK and stuff
2. In the same turn, Parson uses the scroll and goes bye-bye
3. Transylvito breaks alliance with GK and receives lots of schmuckers from Charlescomm.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Now would be a good time to once again ask the bracer what the odds of successfully casting that spell are. Parson's gotta be wondering how long this railroad is.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

isndl posted:

Now would be a good time to once again ask the bracer what the odds of successfully casting that spell are. Parson's gotta be wondering how long this railroad is.

I've been wondering for a while whether the bracer displaying zero instead of the "real" number was part of railroading or if it was simply detecting the railroading (basically, your chance of casting this spell is effectively zero because if you try you're gonna get hit by the falling debris.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Aumanor posted:

I've been wondering for a while whether the bracer displaying zero instead of the "real" number was part of railroading or if it was simply detecting the railroading (basically, your chance of casting this spell is effectively zero because if you try you're gonna get hit by the falling debris.

My inclination is that the bracer only detects railroading because it reported a 'true' value before the Fate override displayed. Furthermore, regardless of what value it showed, it doesn't actually change anything because the railroad is presumably in full effect even if you don't ask it for probabilities, and you're free to ignore it (as Parson did when he attempted to cast the spell anyways).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

isndl posted:

My inclination is that the bracer only detects railroading because it reported a 'true' value before the Fate override displayed. Furthermore, regardless of what value it showed, it doesn't actually change anything because the railroad is presumably in full effect even if you don't ask it for probabilities, and you're free to ignore it (as Parson did when he attempted to cast the spell anyways).

Also while the answer to the question was technically True "Yes, Parson can cast the spell" it was also False "Fate wont let Parson cast the spell."

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

New one!

Well, this is interesting. I can't wait to see where Caesar falls.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I have no idea where the comic's going with these guys. Which is a good thing--throwing some wild cards into the mix is just what the MK side of the plot needed after all the dealmaking basically ensured the outcome of the trial.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I have no idea where the comic's going with these guys. Which is a good thing--throwing some wild cards into the mix is just what the MK side of the plot needed after all the dealmaking basically ensured the outcome of the trial.

I don't even understand what's going on. They made an army man to break into a bank (does Erfworld even have banks?) and steal a wrench out of a safety deposit box - I thought maybe this was the Arkenwrench, but I'm pretty sure its just what Claude and Ivan use to undo their bindings. Who are the people in the bed, and where is that bed, because it doesn't seem to be the one in Claude's room. And who is the filthy little flunkie?

I guess the gist of it is "Claude and Ivan escape the magic kingdom," though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Phenotype posted:

I don't even understand what's going on. They made an army man to break into a bank (does Erfworld even have banks?) and steal a wrench out of a safety deposit box - I thought maybe this was the Arkenwrench, but I'm pretty sure its just what Claude and Ivan use to undo their bindings. Who are the people in the bed, and where is that bed, because it doesn't seem to be the one in Claude's room. And who is the filthy little flunkie?

I guess the gist of it is "Claude and Ivan escape the magic kingdom," though.

It's Ivan's wrench, he can't do Dirtamancy without it. Ergo, they have one of the Army Men they made after observing Ace's to steal back his Wrench, since if he remains behind he'll be caught out by the Minds and the court, and then Claude will be found out. So they're high tailing it. The people in bed were a dirtamancer who was looking after Ivan and some woman he was banging, because Dirtamancers are all "Rock Stars"

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Onmi posted:

because Dirtamancers are all "Rock Stars"

That's just awful.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

It's the Wonky Wrench, an implement formed in a link between Claude, Ivan, and Charlie. It's a dirtamancy implement than can break some of the rules of dirtamancy.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

It's the Wonky Wrench, an implement formed in a link between Claude, Ivan, and Charlie. It's a dirtamancy implement than can break some of the rules of dirtamancy.

Also the army man was initially made by Ace, Maggie and Isaac at the start of this book and made to go through Charlie's portal to spy. Claud has been able to replicate the pattern.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I wonder if this will be Roger rounding up the Carnies. I'm trying to imagine where they would go for security.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The mines below the normally undiggable bedrock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Grognan posted:

The mines below the normally undiggable bedrock.
If you get underneath the bedrock, don't you just fall forever?