Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

EGSunBro posted:

So I watched Flying Witch with a friend recently. He loved it but he's very new to anime, with that being his third ever, and he asked me if I knew any more slice of life shows that were completely about normal life and normal problems. I know of a couple such as Shirobako but they weren't quite what he was looking for. He wants a show about adults dealing with mundane relationship drama in a totally realistic world, he said he's trying to find the "mumble core" of anime.

Any shows that match that? I don't know slice of life very well.

manga is probably his best bet, most of that stuff never gets adapted. there's a fair amount of manga in that thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788990

otherwise
Otona Joshi no Anime Time, series of 4 ovas about adult women doing adult relationship stuff, ova 1,3,4 are really good while ova 2 leans a bit too close to harlequin novel for my tastes
Honey & Clover is about college art students
usagi drop as knorth said, barakamon would probably also fit in this genre of adults dealing with kids
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu deals with relationships, living up to your elders, following your dreams and stuff like that in 1930-1950s japan
Only Yesterday is an incredibly overlooked ghibli movie about an adult woman going back to the country side and thinking back to her childhood years
Dareka no Manazashi is a short by shinkai about an OL and her relationship with her father
Ristorante Paradiso is about a woman travelling to italy, actually might i suggest just taking a look at the josei tag on mal, since thats where you will find most shows like what you are asking for https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/43/Josei
i'd recommend servant x service and working!! but if he doesn't like shirobako, he probably wont like these
hataraki man is about the soul crushing life of an office drone

after he tries this sort of stuff he should try branching out to somewhat more fantastical stuff that still comes down to being about the mundane like tatami galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Davincie posted:

Only Yesterday is an incredibly overlooked ghibli movie about an adult woman going back to the country side and thinking back to her childhood years

oh my god, this

It's a really wonderful movie

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

EGSunBro posted:

So I watched Flying Witch with a friend recently. He loved it but he's very new to anime, with that being his third ever, and he asked me if I knew any more slice of life shows that were completely about normal life and normal problems. I know of a couple such as Shirobako but they weren't quite what he was looking for. He wants a show about adults dealing with mundane relationship drama in a totally realistic world, he said he's trying to find the "mumble core" of anime.

Any shows that match that? I don't know slice of life very well.

This is reaching a bit since it's high school, but so was Flying Witch so whatever: Maybe try Hyouka? The show's driven primarily between a somewhat quiet, very sweet, and very well written romance between the two high schooler main characters as they solve a bunch of small, mundane mysteries. Also has some of the best art and animation in the business.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Has some pretty abhorrent views on mental illness and depression, yo.

Can you elaborate?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

how good is the scrapped princess dub?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just wanted to pop in to say I've finally gotten around to watching Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, and I'm disappointed in myself for putting it off so long.

You may retroactively put it on my top 5 list for 2015.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ninjewtsu posted:

how good is the scrapped princess dub?

I thought it was pretty good when I watched it, but that was yonks ago.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Kly posted:

hi i dont really watch or like much anime but i liked the movie Spirited Away because off all the crazy monsters/demons/spirits hangin out acting kinda normal and human. other things that are kind of like that that i liked are when Goku died and went to hell then had to run across a long path to get back to life, a nintendo DS game called shin megami tensei: strange journey where some times demons were friendly and you could talk them out of fighting or into joining you and the game Disgaea where everyone is in a netherworld and are evil demons but still go about their normal day-to-day demon stuff. are there any movies or shows that are kind of like this? like a "lots of different monsters being weird but still acting kind of human" genre?

Urusei Yatsura, because it turns out space is really weird.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Thanks for all the recommendations guys! He was interested in Usagi Drop and Honey and Clover right off the bat, and I also got him to look at Kids on the Slope so I think he'll be set for a while. He had based his entire idea of anime on bleach until like last month so this is all a shock to him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It always gets mentioned whenever Usagi Drop is brought up but make sure he never reads the manga of it because the manga is extremely bad, the anime took something terrible and made it great.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I'm thankful for the warning. He hasn't read any manga yet so I'd hate to see him be burned on his first.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ahh, I still need to go back and finish Kids on the Slope, thanks for the reminder :)

Somewhere Sanguine
May 25, 2011
Looking for two types of shows.

1. Series with a good Parent/Child dynamic. (I've seen Usagi drop)

2. Fantasy anime that doesn't star kids/teens.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sweetness & Lightning and Barakamon for the first one. Barakamon isn't really parent and child but is good and close enough.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Somewhere Sanguine posted:

Mob 100

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

What do you mean by fantasy exactly in this case? Like any magic at all is fine, or specifically knights and wizards and everything?

If it's the latter, I think I remember Madan no Ou to Vanadis being pretty good.

Somewhere Sanguine
May 25, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Sweetness & Lightning and Barakamon for the first one. Barakamon isn't really parent and child but is good and close enough.

Seen Barakamon and loved it. Sweetness and Lightning looks exactly like what I was looking for though. Gonna dig into that.

AnoHito posted:

What do you mean by fantasy exactly in this case? Like any magic at all is fine, or specifically knights and wizards and everything?

If it's the latter, I think I remember Madan no Ou to Vanadis being pretty good.

Any kind of fantasy setting is fine. Vanadis looks alright.

I've been meaning to watch Mob anyway, but is that really a big part of the series?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Any kind of fantasy setting is fine. Vanadis looks alright.

Otome Youkai Zakuro is also pretty good. That takes place in a sort of alternate Meiji era.

The Devil is a Part Timer is also really good, but that's modern Japan with some people from a fantasy world.

Spice and Wolf is also great if you don't mind the setting being really low magic and the main character being just a regular merchant.

Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita is technically sci-fi, but really closer to fantasy.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 4, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've been meaning to watch Mob anyway, but is that really a big part of the series?

Reigen is the best father figure for Mob. His parents really don't have much of a place, but a lot of Mob is about Mob and his relationships to his brother and mentor/father figure.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Berserk for the second one, 98 anime or the manga, don't bother with anything else.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

How flexible is the second one? Scrapped Princess is an anime about a girl who is decreed forsaken by everyone and is supposed to die, and her sibling bodyguards who keep her alive. She has to endure quite a lot of hardship despite being so young, it gets rather heavy at times. Also goes to some really unexpected places with its setting.

It's not "fantasy schoolkids shenanigans", though it can be real funny.

also, shoooooooulderpaaaaaaaaads

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 4, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sorcerous Stabber Orphen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Jesus dude, maybe you don't like the guy but some things are going too far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Jesus dude, maybe you don't like the guy but some things are going too far.

I liked it :colbert:.

The first season anyway, not the second one with digital animation. That was just tedious and I never made it past the first episode.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I may be mixing it up with the awful PS2 game

Somewhere Sanguine
May 25, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Otome Youkai Zakuro is also pretty good. That takes place in a sort of alternate Meiji era.

The Devil is a Part Timer is also really good, but that's modern Japan with some people from a fantasy world.

Spice and Wolf is also great if you don't mind the setting being really low magic and the main character being just a regular merchant.

Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita is technically sci-fi, but really closer to fantasy.

Seen all of those but Otome. Really liked the other three mentioned.

Otome Youkai Zakuro seems cool just for the setting. I'll probably give that one a go.

Sakurazuka posted:

Berserk for the second one, 98 anime or the manga, don't bother with anything else.
I made the mistake of trying to get into Berserk with the cg anime :negative:

Captain Invictus posted:

How flexible is the second one? Scrapped Princess is an anime about a girl who is decreed forsaken by everyone and is supposed to die, and her sibling bodyguards who keep her alive. She has to endure quite a lot of hardship despite being so young, it gets rather heavy at times. Also goes to some really unexpected places with its setting.
I'm a bit iffy on the premise, but I'll give it a few episodes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Holy poo poo! I had seen a couple episodes of this in the early 2000's and then lost the name.

Thanks for all the quick suggestions, everyone.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also check out Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit for fantasy parent feels.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
moribito owns, it can be enjoyed from a character perspective and an anthropological perspective (the author's day job is an anthropologist)

mushi-shi is similar, it's about a wandering medicine man in edo-era japan who solve's people's problems with a mystical ecology of spirits (which are in turn allegories for psychological issues)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This only just started airing, so there's the risk that it won't turn out very good, but if you're down for WWII + Magic the first episode of Izetta, The Last Witch was really exciting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

I may be mixing it up with the awful PS2 game

You should check it out if you haven't, it's a really fun fantasy adventure and the english dub is really good.

Crimson Chin
Aug 16, 2005

mister happy turtle is a happy turtle
Okay so I'm midway though watching Shimoneta (a boring world where the concept of dirty jokes doesn't exist) and its just so good. I think i need more anime in my life that is both dirty and hilarious. Any suggestions?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Crimson Chin posted:

Okay so I'm midway though watching Shimoneta (a boring world where the concept of dirty jokes doesn't exist) and its just so good. I think i need more anime in my life that is both dirty and hilarious. Any suggestions?

Seitokai Yakuindomo

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Crimson Chin posted:

B Gata H Kei

and while I haven't seen it myself Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt has a reputation for being both exceedingly dirty and funny.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Droyer posted:

Seitokai Yakuindomo

Seconded, I just finished watching this and it's pretty good.

By the way, I'm working through the recommendations you guys gave me a few pages back and I gotta give props to whoever recommended Natsume Yujinchou. I'm only a few episodes in and I already really like it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

fezball posted:

B Gata H Kei

and while I haven't seen it myself Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt has a reputation for being both exceedingly dirty and funny.

B Gata H Kei is better read than watched imo.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Crimson Chin posted:

Have you seen Haganai? It's trashy as hell but hilarious.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Droyer posted:

Seitokai Yakuindomo

I did the exact same thing and watched this on a recommendation after watching Shimoneta and it's even better. Once it gets going it's basically just people no selling dick jokes for 20 minutes straight every episode (that's a good thing btw)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hensemi has the dirtiest jokes in anime, but its also not funny

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

fezball posted:

B Gata H Kei

Seconding PSG, hilarious and absolutely filthy.
Puni Puni Poemy is also really short with its all of two episodes, but it's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Watch the dub for PSG, because it's even filthier. :allears:.