Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
I am looking for a decent RPG for PS4 to sink my teeth into.

I was hoping to get a good recommendation for something more in the vein of a JRPG. Games like The Witcher 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition and Dark Souls/Bloodborne have run their course for me for a bit. I am currently loading up the GotY Edition of Shadow of Mordor (which is more of the same I suppose).

I have been hovering around the new Star Ocean, Tales of Zestiria and Digimon Cyber Sleuth as they are all decently priced presently. I know most people are rating the Star Ocean game as mediocre to garbage tier, but I have never played a Star Ocean game before so I am not sure if that will impact how well I would receive the game.

I've played the Dragon Quest Heroes game and thought that was pretty good fun wise but not terribly engaging.

I am mostly looking for something to kill time in between now and FFXV. (Really wish the remaster of FFXIII/FFXIII-2 was coming out sooner than next year, I never got a chance to play those).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
If anyone likes JRPG music, the recent FF14 expansion dropped in the usual battery of FF music, some great, some not so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T1k-9UvdlU - sounds a lot like a Nier track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E51ZuULFxvk - more alexander riffs, this link excludes the metal portion go find that one yourself (I think it sucks)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYVFNPv6iAI - obligatory grand choir final fantasy track, I always like these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyWOkfH0D00 - nice piano piece

I don't play the game anymore so I doubt it's exhaustive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

karn1635 posted:

I was hoping to get a good recommendation for something more in the vein of a JRPG. Games like The Witcher 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition and Dark Souls/Bloodborne have run their course for me for a bit. I am currently loading up the GotY Edition of Shadow of Mordor (which is more of the same I suppose).

I have been hovering around the new Star Ocean, Tales of Zestiria and Digimon Cyber Sleuth as they are all decently priced presently. I know most people are rating the Star Ocean game as mediocre to garbage tier, but I have never played a Star Ocean game before so I am not sure if that will impact how well I would receive the game.

I've played the Dragon Quest Heroes game and thought that was pretty good fun wise but not terribly engaging.

I am mostly looking for something to kill time in between now and FFXV. (Really wish the remaster of FFXIII/FFXIII-2 was coming out sooner than next year, I never got a chance to play those).
Tales of Zestiria is pretty heavily flawed, so I can't really recommend it. Its only real strengths are its music and its humor, the story is a trainwreck and combat is very hit-or-miss and has a lot of balancing issues. Star Ocean is a mess without even the good points Zestiria has.

Cyber Sleuth is very good and has a lot of fun stuff to mess with, so it could last you the month or so until FF15 comes out. Translation is a little iffy, but not a trainwreck.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Really liking that Nier-lite song.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

karn1635 posted:

Cyber Sleuth is by far the best of those, the only real knocks against it are a not stellar translation and it looking like (and basically being) a Vita game.

If you want something FF-y you could try Type-0 but it tends to be a love (well okay, like) or hate sort of thing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I played part of Type 0 on the PSP and the only things I remember about it are the OP song and it being impossibly grindy to keep 14 (!) different characters leveled because I hate imbalanced active parties.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You don't need all 14 but two full groups at least yeah.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Is it just me or are most of the JRPG selections on PS4 middling to terrible Vita ports?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Good JRPGs are kind of thin on the ground lately.

Game design may have passed the entire genre by.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

dont be mean to me posted:

Good JRPGs are kind of thin on the ground lately.

Game design may have passed the entire genre by.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

So are you just ignoring the 3DS entirely, or

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The PS4 selection is weak but that is because 80% of the JRPGs on the PS4 are Compile Heart games because they can pump out new games incredibly quickly.

Like I played three excellent JRPGs and a port in September alone.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rascyc posted:

more alexander riffs, this link excludes the metal portion go find that one yourself (I think it sucks)
t:mad:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Endorph posted:

arche is 17, you monster

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
when the gba port came out in english there were gamefaq people posting about how NINTENDO HAD CENSORED IT by REMOVING THESE CLASSIC LINES

loving morons

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the gba release of phantasia was bad, but not because it wasn't translated by dejap

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought that was the real translation when i first played that game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's lots of goofy dialog in the boat scene in phantasia but even the other fan translations for the psx version don't translate it to anything near that

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You left out the best slash worst of the new FF14 songs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb0P9jHV8dQ

forward and back and then forward and back...

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
compile heart games are cheap and bad

Wendell
May 11, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You left out the best slash worst of the new FF14 songs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb0P9jHV8dQ

forward and back and then forward and back...

I like this!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Rascyc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E51ZuULFxvk - more alexander riffs, this link excludes the metal portion go find that one yourself (I think it sucks)

???

The link contains an orchestral remix of Metal.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

arche is 17, you monster

yeah maybe in elf years but she's like 5000 right

corn in the bible posted:

when the gba port came out in english there were gamefaq people posting about how NINTENDO HAD CENSORED IT by REMOVING THESE CLASSIC LINES

well i was pretty offended when they removed all references to the norse apocalypse

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The White Dragon posted:

well i was pretty offended when they removed all references to the norse apocalypse

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The White Dragon posted:

Kangaroos are perfectly dangerous, I'll have you know.

edit: dammit, beaten like an impending kangaroo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

yeah maybe in elf years but she's like 5000 right

no she is literally 17

she is 17 when she joins the party and she's 213 by the time narakiri dungeon x takes place

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have a lot of problems with tales of phantasia but as far as character writing it's actually kind of crazy strong imo, at least when it comes to the main cast. most of my issues with it are just that it's boring to play

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The PS4 selection is weak but that is because 80% of the JRPGs on the PS4 are Compile Heart games because they can pump out new games incredibly quickly.

I know you're just channeling your inner Verranicus here (3 games are not 80%) but his point that a lot of games are just prettied up Vita or PS3 ports isn't wrong.
Some stuff currently released: Atelier Sophie, Digimon, Disgaea 5, FF-Type 0, I Am Setsuna, Mystery Chronicles, Nights of Azure, Odin Sphere, Star Ocean 5, Tales of Zestiria...
Lotsa middling games.

Some stuff coming up: FF15, Persona 5, World of Final Fantasy, Atelier Firris, Nier, Ni No Kuni, Tales of Berseria, Kingdom Hearts, Ys 8, Tokyo Xanadu...
While there's still some ports most of these are looking good or better than what we have now. Berseria is way better than Zestiria, P5 is great, Ys and Tokyo Xanadu are both good on Vita right now... The most I'm uncertain about is SE's output and NiNoKuni.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

I bet she fucks like a tiger

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the idea of an inner verranicus sounds absolutely horrifying

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

I know you're just channeling your inner Verranicus here (3 games are not 80%) but his point that a lot of games are just prettied up Vita or PS3 ports isn't wrong.
Some stuff currently released: Atelier Sophie, Digimon, Disgaea 5, FF-Type 0, I Am Setsuna, Mystery Chronicles, Nights of Azure, Odin Sphere, Star Ocean 5, Tales of Zestiria...
Lotsa middling games.

Some stuff coming up: FF15, Persona 5, World of Final Fantasy, Atelier Firris, Nier, Ni No Kuni, Tales of Berseria, Kingdom Hearts, Ys 8, Tokyo Xanadu...
While there's still some ports most of these are looking good or better than what we have now. Berseria is way better than Zestiria, P5 is great, Ys and Tokyo Xanadu are both good on Vita right now... The most I'm uncertain about is SE's output and NiNoKuni.

I don't think you actually read what I sad.

It's also genuinely kind of lovely for you to misread what I said and then try to compare to me to Verranicus.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 1, 2016

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbmCKT3XSAU
The only good part of the GBA Phantasia

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think you actually read what I sad.

It's also genuinely kind of lovely for you to misread what I said and then try to compare to me to Verranicus.
All the games I listed are "JRPGs on the PS4" so I don't see why you're so upset or how I misread anything?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

HGH posted:

All the games I listed are "JRPGs on the PS4" so I don't see why you're so upset or how I misread anything?

ImpAtom posted:

HGH posted:

I know you're just channeling your inner Verranicus here (3 games are not 80%)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

Because you pretty clearly decided I was saying something I didn't and rushed to drop your hot burn instead of actually read the context of what I said. The entire point of what I said was "JRPGs are not exclusively on the PS4 and there are a lot of good JRPGs coming out."

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Except I'm not arguing about JRPGs off the PS4, I'm pointing out the fact that you immediately go "PS4 JRPGs are bad because they're all CH games!" when there's a multitude of reasons why it doesn't have the greatest track record as far as current games go.
Like, you can hate a company and its lovely output as much as you want, but constantly bringing them up and blaming them for everything wrong in the world isn't exactly healthy.
3 games as in "3 CH games total on PS4". I wasn't addressing the second half of the post at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

Except I'm not arguing about JRPGs off the PS4, I'm pointing out the fact that you immediately go "PS4 JRPGs are bad because they're all CH games!" when there's a multitude of reasons why it doesn't have the greatest track record as far as current games go.
Like, you can hate a company and its lovely output as much as you want, but constantly bringing them up and blaming them for everything wrong in the world isn't exactly healthy.

You still are rushing to defend CH so quickly you are not actually paying attention to the point of what I said.

Also "constantly bringing them up" when this is the first time I've mentioned CH in ages?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean you two are having a fight over an obvious troll that said " Game design may have passed the entire genre by" so ya know.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
There are a lot of good 3DS JRPGs and some of the upcoming PS4 jrpg's look really good. I agree with ImpAtom. However not all of us were already able to play translated Persona 5.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

There are a lot of good 3DS JRPGs and some of the upcoming PS4 jrpg's look really good. I agree with ImpAtom. However not all of us were already able to play translated Persona 5.

Even without P5 this month had Cold Steel 2 and SMTIV:A. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That list looks like a pretty good line up to me anyway.