Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

it probably helps that zoss straight up told her that

Zoss probably told everyone, I doubt he shut up much when he was alive. Allison just understands it on an infinitely deeper level.

GunnerJ posted:

This is the real secret to Allison's potential for Royalty imo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Pureauthor posted:

Notably, Mottom's halo disappeared once she hesitated.

"What did she just call me? What is a turbo? I guess I should be offended but...weird."

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Bell_ posted:

I might be wrong. If Allison doesn't magic the gang away in the next panel, I don't see Mottom making it back to her home planet.

What home planet? Mottom ate it. She is too fat

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

akulanization posted:

The blade of want is your ability to alter reality to more closely align with your desires through violence.

and sovereignty is the state wherein one does not need to have that ability because it happens by itself

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
"Don't think? Oh! Hey! I'm GREAT at not thinking!"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lovely tribute to Luke and Yoda though Abbadon.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ZeroCount posted:

Zoss probably told everyone, I doubt he shut up much when he was alive. Allison just understands it on an infinitely deeper level.

Actually, much like Aesma, Allison's advantage is that she doesn't understand it at all.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Hey guys, how powerful would Don Quixote be in KSBD?

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

thechosenone posted:

He'd probably take down a windmill or two.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Mmmm....that's good paneling.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

thechosenone posted:

He's actually one of the 108 pursuers.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I wish you weren't joking.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Aurium posted:

He'd probably take down a windmill or two.

Windmills are a type of wheel, right?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Thought: Royalty is the ability of a wise man to harness the power of an idiot's mindset when trying to solve problems.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Royalty is turning Will into Action, regardless of what other people say is possible or not.

It is the ultimate form of daredevil hooliganism. A godly Hold My Beer.

My favorite part of the art in these last updates is Mottom just straight turning into a corpse, instead of rapidly aging. She is so, so dead.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

thechosenone posted:

Thought: Royalty is the ability of a wise man to harness the power of an idiot's mindset when trying to solve problems.

I mean, you could just cut out the middleman and skip straight to being an idiot

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pureauthor posted:

I mean, you could just cut out the middleman and skip straight to being an idiot

we can't all be Aesma. and thank goodness for that.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Green Intern posted:

Royalty is turning Will into Action, regardless of what other people say is possible or not.

It is the ultimate form of daredevil hooliganism. A godly Hold My Beer.

My favorite part of the art in these last updates is Mottom just straight turning into a corpse, instead of rapidly aging. She is so, so dead.

I wonder if her rapid decay is a sign that the fruit was not the only thing keeping her alive, and now that she's convinced of her impending death that power has vanished?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pureauthor posted:

That's real-world royalty, as opposed to K6BD Royalty.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So what's the difference between Royalty and all the idiots out there who are just stupid and impulsive but don't hold ultimate cosmic power?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Rand Brittain posted:

So what's the difference between Royalty and all the idiots out there who are just stupid and impulsive but don't hold ultimate cosmic power?

A trip to the hospital/morgue?

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Rand Brittain posted:

Follow-through.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
What I mean is that while one can be ignorant of what is possible and impossible for a little bit, you can't keep it up. like how the one guy hesitated when facing Aesma, he couldn't keep up the stupid. Since its so easy to know enough to gently caress you up, or just not be in the right mood, you have to go around the bend and become so smart you can reliably act like an idiot/simulate an idiots failure to realize some things aren't possible by realizing in your heart that they are not only possible, but banal to do.

idiots only achieve royalty on accident for fleeting moments, the truly smart can manage it for like, a bajillion years

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 2, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

thechosenone posted:

idiots only achieve royalty on accident for fleeting moments, the truly smart can manage it for like, a bajillion years

And the truly smart... probably started out as idiots.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Also remember Aesma was so stupid she eventually self-immolated.

Also consider: why do we assume that being Yisun's favorite disciple is a good thing?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Hansa was Yisun's previous favourite disciple, was Royalty, and was definitely not an idiot.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

thechosenone posted:

I feel like there must be a fair number of people in the KSBD universe who tried to imitate this while missing the first part and just loving died, because even here, just being an idiot doesn't make you magic. :kiddo:

Because, as you say, the state that allows people to do insane poo poo in KSBD isn't actually idiocy, it's something else that's indistinguishable from idiocy when looked at from an overly narrow perspective.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Aesma may have been a fool, but she was a fool who could split into a dozen godly war forms, rain fire from the sky, and pick up the universe to hit someone with it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
It's very Nietzschean will-to-power in a lot of ways, but real Nietzsche, not the stuff twisted up to justify pathetic white dudes calling themselves supermen.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Hansa was Yisun's previous favourite disciple, was Royalty, and was definitely not an idiot.

Hansa was a tryhard, the Vegeta to Aesma's Goku.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Demiurge4 posted:

It's gonna be hard to keep up the cosplayers excuse when there's a whole loving (magical and flying) ship sticking out of her window.

"Look, I had a lot more fun at the grand canyon that I expected"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Glumslinger posted:

"Look, I had a lot more fun at the grand canyon that I expected"

If any of her friends had known or guessed what "trip to the grand canyon" actually meant, that's going to be awkward.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

She actually went to Burning Man and took too many drugs.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It's very Nietzschean will-to-power in a lot of ways, but real Nietzsche, not the stuff twisted up to justify pathetic white dudes calling themselves supermen.

The previous form of KSBD, before it became a webcomic, was a kind of MSPA style thing. In that, Alison meets of with Nietzsche lounging on a lounge chair in the space between worlds.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Renaissance Robot posted:

Hansa was a tryhard, the Vegeta to Aesma's Goku.

Actually the complete opposite, because he did not desire Royalty, it came easily to him.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Royalty is the power to cut infinity with the blade of Want. I've always taken this to mean that it is the will to carve up the possibilities of the infinite and shape them into something definite. Violence is certainly an expression of that, and similarly a Key of Kings gives you a channel to impose one's will on the world.

In my mind, the difference between the demiurges and Allison / Zoss is that the demiurges approached enlightenment in order to win something, to be victorious, while Zoss and Allison would choose victory but never cling to it, instantly moving forth to shape newer and grander things. To cling, after all, is to stop, and Royalty is a continuous cutting motion.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
TBH I'd guess all this royalty business isn't as much a coherent philosophy the author is trying to articulate through is fight-ladies web comic as it is some cold-blooded poo poo for his characters to say to a motherfucker before dropping white fire on them.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Dead Reckoning posted:

TBH I'd guess all this royalty business isn't as much a coherent philosophy the author is trying to articulate through is fight-ladies web comic as it is some cold-blooded poo poo for his characters to say to a motherfucker before dropping white fire on them.

I take the opposite view that it's clearly inspired by Buddhist concepts of enlightenment mixed with Elder Scrolls mythology. I feel it could actually be very clearly explained in a mechanical sense--just swap the "mindfulness" of Buddhism with imposing your will on reality with every waking moment.

Zooloo fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 3, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Royalty is just telling Reality to go gently caress itself when it tries to tell you that you can't do whatever dope poo poo you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Who What Now posted:

Royalty is just telling Reality to go gently caress itself when it tries to tell you that you can't do whatever dope poo poo you want.

but, you know, in an enlightened way