Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

Isn't tor that super hosed up S&M rape fantasy setting?

That's Gor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Will I be anonymous while playing this game?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's a good one but it can't handle all of the templates from the KS. You need the $600 version to be able to print everything.

With an 8x8x7 build area it should handle everything in the Fat Dragon ks. The Maker select he linked to is not the Printrbot play they talk about in the FAQ. That's this one.

Edit:

Helical Nightmares posted:

Never pay for Warhammer again?

That's part of how I justified buying a 3d printer myself.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wow, exciting. :effort:

And a d24 based system, eh?
It has a class called the Psycho. How could you not be on board?

quote:

The world is but a malleable ball ready to be warped and twisted by the minds of mankind. However, many of us are the sane, the untampered, and the inexperienced. Those who stray away are labelled psychos, but to them, they are the tools that shape Aliicaar’s mysterious realm known as the Mindscape. They are the afflicted, the twisted, and happy to be so. Pain is but a weapon to them, ready to be traded in for the body’s natural weapon known as adrenaline. Their daring perspective on life and how to get goals done causes them to be shunned by the many, but used and employed by those with an aberrant way of thinking. On the field they have no fear of death. There is but one thing on their mind: the death of their enemy- and they will go through any means to make this vision a reality.

Role: Psychos are amazingly powerful combatants, putting their own lives on the line in order to maximize their damage output. They constantly skate past the brink of death, while bringing many unfortunate souls far below it.

So it's this dude's Pathfinder homebrew, but he decided to add 4 more sides to the die and make it a heartbreaker instead.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

plz someone tell me wtf a heartbreaker is

8one6
May 20, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

plz someone tell me wtf a heartbreaker is

Fantasy heartbraker is usually shorthand for someone's homebrew not!D&D that they want to publish.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

8one6 posted:

Fantasy heartbraker is usually shorthand for someone's homebrew not!D&D that they want to publish.

Ah thanks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dungeon Builder: An Isometric Map Maker looks pretty nice. $40, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxBOGIudr8E

There's a demo available, but I can't try it right now.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

It has a class called the Psycho. How could you not be on board?

This not the goatman I expected.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is super cool but I'm not sure it's $40 super cool, unless they hit the "Go outside and play" stretch goal which adds more natural cavers and some trees, bushes, etc. If it ends up being able to do any decent looking "dungeon" as an indoor or outdoor map I'd definitely buy it for $40.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

8one6 posted:

With an 8x8x7 build area it should handle everything in the Fat Dragon ks. The Maker select he linked to is not the Printrbot play they talk about in the FAQ. That's this one.

Edit:

That's part of how I justified buying a 3d printer myself.

Have they actually gotten to that quality level?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wow, exciting. :effort:

And a d24 based system, eh?

I can't wait for this game's exhaustive explanation of the difference between an island and an islet.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The terrain he had at Gen Con looked pretty good and he had printed it at 200 micron (. 2 mm layer height) resolution. Here's an example of print quality at 200, 100, and 50 micron resolution.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Evil Mastermind posted:

This seems cool. I like to use Campaign Cartographer and their isometric program, but if this pans out, it + hexographer would make a really compelling alternative.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

DalaranJ posted:

I can't wait for this game's exhaustive explanation of the difference between an island and an islet.

One feat with a plus two to swim checks in oceans and another with a plus two to swim checks in rivers

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So has anyone backed Gattaibushido:FUSION! Mecha Pilot RPG? I'm curious about it because the power rangers are cool, but I have no idea if it's a good game.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

It doesn't look like a great time but i'm surprised that no one at all has backed The Book of Tor.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Given that it's a "first created zero backed" situation, the guy probably thinks you just make the kickstarter and everyone will just find different it on their own. 5'll get you 10 he hasn't gone to any of the major sites to advertise.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Nuns with Guns posted:

So has anyone backed Gattaibushido:FUSION! Mecha Pilot RPG? I'm curious about it because the power rangers are cool, but I have no idea if it's a good game.

Color me interested, for sure.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nuns with Guns posted:

I liked Motobushido so this was a no brainer for me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That forest goblin Kickstarter failed to fund. It probably would have been more wise to wait until after successfully delivering the shieldmaidens before launching their next project.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

moths posted:

That forest goblin Kickstarter failed to fund. It probably would have been more wise to wait until after successfully delivering the shieldmaidens before launching their next project.

psst: they were probably depending upon the forest goblins money TO deliver the shieldmaidens.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You're not going to get jeweler level prints, but you can make some pretty nice buildings and terrain. In the other 3D terrain KS (again, I can't remember the name,) the guys gave their prints a quick acetone wash which really helped to smooth things out on the models, and helped to eliminate any stepping.

Also, what is really cool is that you can take that Monoprice printer and print parts to make it even better!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

moths posted:

sadhorn.wav

I guess they're not quite popular enough a company to sustain themselves through constant Kickstarters like Mierce and Mantic.

Probably would have funded if they gave the Gobbos tits (or added Shieldmaidens as an add on).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think they brought in tits (in the form of spider maidens) and that wasn't enough to save the project. Which is kind of a shame since their goblins looked cool.

Their shieldmaidens failed the first time, too. Iirc they had reached their stated finding goal, but hadn't exceeded their actual goal, which just makes me nervous about the company.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

moths posted:

I think they brought in tits (in the form of spider maidens) and that wasn't enough to save the project. Which is kind of a shame since their goblins looked cool.

Their shieldmaidens failed the first time, too. Iirc they had reached their stated finding goal, but hadn't exceeded their actual goal, which just makes me nervous about the company.

Why the hell would you do that? No, seriously, why would start a project and put your funding goal at even one penny less than your actual budget for completion? You can't count on exceeding your goal, and usually exceeding your goal also means your costs are going to go up (either from stretch goals or just having to produce more units), so why would you ever ask for less money than you need when you don't have any way to make up the difference. It's just nonsense and madness, and I should know, being well versed in nonsense and extremely mad.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's probably much more common that you'd think. Excitement creates momentum, and lowballing the cost artificially moves up your hype "we're funded!" moment, which is important because the funding is on a limited timescale.

People love a winner, and looking like a winner for more of the campaign means you'll collect more money.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kwyndig posted:

Why the hell would you do that? No, seriously, why would start a project and put your funding goal at even one penny less than your actual budget for completion? You can't count on exceeding your goal, and usually exceeding your goal also means your costs are going to go up (either from stretch goals or just having to produce more units), so why would you ever ask for less money than you need when you don't have any way to make up the difference. It's just nonsense and madness, and I should know, being well versed in nonsense and extremely mad.

Because when you do what you said people call it boring and lame, like the Dungeon Fantasy kickstarter.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Because when you do what you said people call it boring and lame, like the Dungeon Fantasy kickstarter.

Oh, you mean the competently run and basically guaranteed to work out well Dungeon Fantasy kickstarter?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also they would have made a ton more money if they hadn't been up their own butts about the figure design. Everywhere they posted about their KS (Warseer, LAF, etc etc) and basically everywhere else that talked about it (Oldhammer, here, etc) said "I would be interested in this if all these figs didn't have huge stripper boobs and belly shirts" and they sort of waffled on maybe doing a slight redesign and they sort of did but it was clearly a hack job done in ten seconds and didn't actually solve any of the problems and also garnered some serious ill will because their rep was super flippant with people.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's also best not to forget that gamers are terrible people who have a huge amount of entitlement, and absolutely zero understanding or acceptance of the real costs in making a game or game related product, tabletop or video

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I still have 16 hours to possibly waste money on the Dungeon Fantasy kickstarter:

1. What level/deal do I back to get just all the PDFs?
2. How much is that going to cost me?

E: Nvm, they had instructions on how to do it.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 30, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

It's probably much more common that you'd think. Excitement creates momentum, and lowballing the cost artificially moves up your hype "we're funded!" moment, which is important because the funding is on a limited timescale.

People love a winner, and looking like a winner for more of the campaign means you'll collect more money.

It is vastly more common than you'd think, not just in tradgames but other Kickstarter areas as well, both for this reason and for this reason:

NTRabbit posted:

It's also best not to forget that gamers are terrible people who have a huge amount of entitlement, and absolutely zero understanding or acceptance of the real costs in making a game or game related product, tabletop or video

A lot of people lowball Kickstarter funding thresholds because A). if they asked for the amount of funding that successfully seeing a project to completion usually requires it would make people balk, and B). because if you can get the hype train running with stretch goals it can be easier to keep the momentum going stronger for longer as opposed to "wow, we're 12 days in and over a third of the way to our baseline goal!" Most Kickstarters get the biggest spikes of their funding in the very early days and like the last 48 hours or something, then in-between you've got a long stretch of doldrums that you have to work around, and in that time if it doesn't look like there's a lot of steady forward progress being made it's very, very easy for enthusiasm and subsequently pledges to drop off and dry up altogether.

Plus having a project's minimum funding met makes it seem like more of a "sure thing" than a project that still has yet to be successfully funded, so artificially moving the goalposts like that makes your project seem like a sounder investment even if you're secretly pinning your hopes on securing more money than you asked for.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Stonehaven Giants kickstarter hit $20,000 releasing the Gnomish Titan so I can finally stop sweating over it.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Cat Face Joe posted:

Stonehaven Giants kickstarter hit $20,000 releasing the Gnomish Titan so I can finally stop sweating over it.

Yesssss.....

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
This looks interesting: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mvmedia/ki-khanga-a-sword-and-soul-role-playing-game

quote:

Ki Khanga is a new Sword and Soul (African-inspired epic and heroic fantasy) roleplaying game that uses regular playing cards to resolve conflicts and to achieve feats in a fun and dynamic way that keeps the action and drama moving.

Ki Khanga: The Sword and Soul RPG contains all the tools and guidance players need to don the roles of sword, spear and bow-wielding warriors; powerful Babalawo and Nana priests, who control the forces of nature; nangas, who cast powerful magic through their nkisi statues; and countless other occupations, all creatable through our free form character creation system.

Taking many inspirations from oral history and literature, Ki Khanga gives players a unique experience, immersing them in a world of African folklore and culture. Add in some Sword and Sorcery excursions into the forests, desert, plains, rivers, seas and sprawling metropolises, along with ancient temples and powerful gods and demigods and you have Ki Khanga – classic tabletop roleplaying, with a fresh configuration of friends, fiends, foes and formidable dangers.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The huge box of miniatures game, Conan, will be shipping soon, almost a year late, but that is not too bad I guess. I will update all you fine folks on the quality of the miniatures and perhaps the game when it arrives. So far I have been disappointed with my first big box of miniatures purchase, Shadows of Brimstone. SoB was late, and I did not realize that they would create other products and expansions before completing on all the items promised in their kickstarter. They offered to expedite shipping, and send some half parcels, but I didn't really want to pay more. To be honest I was also disappointed in the SoB miniature quality. If anyone picked up some of their newer releases, or paid for wave 1.5 shipping, could you let me know if the miniature quality improved at all?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

No preview, but at least it's not obviously a heartbreaker.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
One of the first RPG kickstarters I backed was The Grand Temple of Jing. The same creator is back with The Dread House, a huge, haunted house adventure for Path, 5E, and.. COC? Grand Temple delivered a couple of years late but ended up being good in the end, and it looks like this one's WAY further ahead in development (apparently he was showing it off at GenCon this year.)

However - the miniatures and terrain pieces look rad, and I like the idea of him including what are basically custom dungeon tiles for this adventure too. And the prices for those add-ons are actually pretty good (you can also just pledge for the minis or house decorations if you like).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

shipping a year late
disappointed with my purchase
that they would create other products and expansions before completing on all the items promised in their kickstarter
I was also disappointed in the quality.

kickstarter.txt