Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Spintzel posted:

Plus isn't FIU like one of the largest university's in the hemisphere?

I was thinking of UCF but FIU is ranked 4th in the US in enrollment. Which is still impressive as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Take this with an enormous grain of salt, but Colin Cowherd apparently said on radio that USC is already shopping for a new head coach.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DJExile posted:

Take this with an enormous grain of salt, but Colin Cowherd apparently said on radio that USC is already shopping for a new head coach.

USCalifornia Les stealing LSU recruits would be hilarious.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spacebump posted:

USCalifornia Les stealing LSU recruits would be hilarious.

That would be a hoot to watch, but I'd bet a whole bunch of money they go the incest route yet again. I've never seen a school as completely obsessed with inside hiring as them.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

DJExile posted:

That would be a hoot to watch, but I'd bet a whole bunch of money they go the incest route yet again. I've never seen a school as completely obsessed with inside hiring as them.

They learned all about inside jobs when Pete Carroll was coach

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Pakled posted:

If any mid-major Florida school was going to make the move to the big time, I would have thought they'd do it while the big three Florida schools were down. From the mid-2000's until like, this year, you had a situation where every year, Miami and either UF or FSU was down. Now, Miami and UF are both on the rise and FSU is remaining dominant and I can't see any other Florida football programs making much headway in recruiting or general hype.

We've had midmajors ascend though :confused:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Marquis de Pyro posted:

They learned all about inside jobs when Pete Carroll was coach

Nice!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Spintzel posted:

I was thinking of UCF but FIU is ranked 4th in the US in enrollment. Which is still impressive as hell

Yeah, like I said its major expansion was over a decade ago, so now the alumni are at the stage where they can afford to donate.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

I mean this was also kind of obvious if you just, like, watched USC play football.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJExile posted:

And yet Pete Carroll was basically a rando to USC

:iiam:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DOOP posted:

And yet Pete Carroll was basically a rando to USC

:iiam:

Yeah it seemed to start with Carroll. I get wanting to maintain the momentum he gave them, but they were so loving locked on getting his former guys and seemed to pass up a ton of far better options for it.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

MourningView posted:

gonna be exiting when literally every coach in the SEC is a former Bama assistant

SEC coaching searches are basically NFL coaching searches except instead of lovely retreads and former Belichick assistants it's lovely retreads and former Saban assistants.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I hope Arizona State boatraces USC and Lynn Swann takes Helton out to LAX to fire him and leaves him there.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

MourningView posted:

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/repo...m_medium=Social

LSU to "gauge the interest" of Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and Bob Stoops, because shooters gotta shoot.

I actually hope everyone with an opening does this. "Hi, Urban, I'm with Florida International University and I was wondering if you-hello?"

Jim Harbaugh has always wanted to coach LSU.

Also... http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-state-seminoles/os-fsu-jimbo-fisher-lsu-david-whitley-0928-20160927-column.html

quote:

Your guess is as good as my guess, but the guessing game is definitely on. Fisher saw to that at his weekly press conference Monday.

"I'm not talking about LSU," he said.

With those five words the purple-and-gold elephant officially plopped down in FSU's living room.

Fisher could have shooed it out with an unequivocal, "I am not interested and will not listen, much less accept any offers from LSU." But his parents apparently taught him that honesty is the best policy, even if it leads to three months of angst and scrutiny over a potential change of address.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

an adult beverage posted:

SEC coaching searches are basically NFL coaching searches except instead of lovely retreads and former Belichick assistants it's lovely retreads and former Saban assistants.

Don't forget the occasional fun poaching of an Arkansas State dude

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Jimbo is just looking to use this to get a raise from a paranoid FSU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spintzel posted:

Jimbo is just looking to use this to get a raise from a paranoid FSU

Once again proving that he is Saban's best apprentice

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

Once again proving that he is Saban's best apprentice

He's the only one with any lasting success, right? I can't think of anybody else.

Besides, if he really wants a better job, as long as he keeps doing good at FSU, when Saban retires, Alabama might come knockin'.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

whiteyfats posted:

He's the only one with any lasting success, right? I can't think of anybody else.

Besides, if he really wants a better job, as long as he keeps doing good at FSU, when Saban retires, Alabama might come knockin'.

I mean tbd on a couple of them but so far it'd be him or Dantonio. But there's also a chance he's using LSU the same way Saban uses Texas every time they get antsy about their coach where his agent leaks that he's being offered 50 million dollars a year or whatever and seriously considering it, which is followed immediately by Bama giving him a raise and buying him a house.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Saban to Texas a few years ago was one of the more hilarious offseason topics ever. So many people in Austin told me variations of "he's coming for sure, we know people." It was also fun making fake twitter accounts and posting about having just spotted Saban in Austin.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

I mean tbd on a couple of them but so far it'd be him or Dantonio. But there's also a chance he's using LSU the same way Saban uses Texas every time they get antsy about their coach where his agent leaks that he's being offered 50 million dollars a year or whatever and seriously considering it, which is followed immediately by Bama giving him a raise and buying him a house.

I mean that's probably what he's doing. I doubt Jimbo really moves anywhere else this cycle. He's young enough to jump ship if he wanted to for one more big job, but I don't feel like "second fiddle in the SEC West" is really a step up from King poo poo of the ACC.

I hope it's Petrino because it won't be Zook and that breaks my heart

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Saban to Texas was fun whereas the Harbaugh to Michigan offseason was annoying.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Saban to Texas was a fun time.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Pakled posted:

Saban to Texas was a fun time.

as if saban would tolerate a plane route that wasn't a straight line

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I still have friends that are convinced Saban to Texas was a done deal that was unwound by PC FORCES that wanted a black coach.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Raku posted:

as if saban would tolerate a plane route that wasn't a straight line

unless he is telling the earth to stop spinning (which I am sure that a booster somewhere would fund), gotta curve a little bit due to the rotation and curvature of the earth

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

an adult beverage posted:

What do you mean 'Instead of'?

It's just one extra layer.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Saban to Texas was fun whereas the Harbaugh to Michigan offseason was annoying.

I know - considering only one of those had a high probability of happening.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Sab0921 posted:

I still have friends that are convinced Saban to Texas was a done deal that was unwound by PC FORCES that wanted a black coach.

The version I always hear is that Mack's stalling killed the deal. The Mack stalling thing was real, but I've never seen any credible evidence that there was a deal to be killed. There was a much-publicized meeting scheduled with the Prez/AD to discuss his future and when the day arrived he told them he couldn't make it back to Austin and kept flying around Texas and Florida using up as many in-home visits with our recruits as possible. I think that may have even coincided with that period of a few days when Saban hadn't signed his contract extension at Bama.

Doesn't seem plausible to me. I know Mack did a lot for this place and they wanted to do things the right way, but I really doubt they would've let a done deal with Saban fall through purely because they thought it was too disrespectful to fire Mack over the phone.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Thermos H Christ posted:

The version I always hear is that Mack's stalling killed the deal. The Mack stalling thing was real, but I've never seen any credible evidence that there was a deal to be killed. There was a much-publicized meeting scheduled with the Prez/AD to discuss his future and when the day arrived he told them he couldn't make it back to Austin and kept flying around Texas and Florida using up as many in-home visits with our recruits as possible. I think that may have even coincided with that period of a few days when Saban hadn't signed his contract extension at Bama.

Doesn't seem plausible to me. I know Mack did a lot for this place and they wanted to do things the right way, but I really doubt they would've let a done deal with Saban fall through purely because they thought it was too disrespectful to fire Mack over the phone.

I love that people still believe it was a done deal lol.

"We have this deal for millions of dollars ready to go"
"I want to sign it Tuesday, not Friday"
"We have to wait until Mack is back in town"
"Back to Alabama it is then"

Sab0921 posted:

This is the funniest one. Those friends should get help.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I feel like I am uniquely qualified to post on this issue.

that poo poo was never even close to happening

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Not that I'm inclined to trust Steve Patterson on anything, but here's his version of the entire thing:

quote:

I’ve known Jimmy [Sexton] for 30 years. I told him if he wanted to come here and drink bourbon and eat barbecue and talk about Saban, that’d be fine. But I told him not to come here if he just wanted to get Saban an extension and a raise at Alabama, which I thought was his intention all along. Of course, Jimmy took great affront to that, which is fine. He was just doing his job. But that was the end of the conversation. I never talked to Saban and we never made an offer.

e: I guess if you do a little reading between the lines, you could convince yourself that Saban was possibly open to Texas but Steve Patterson killed any chance of it happening by being an rear end in a top hat.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 30, 2016

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Thermos H Christ posted:

Not that I'm inclined to trust Steve Patterson on anything, but here's his version of the entire thing:

e: I guess if you do a little reading between the lines, you could convince yourself that Saban was possibly open to Texas but Steve Patterson killed any chance of it happening by being an rear end in a top hat.

You can convince yourself of basically anything when it comes to a school as powerful as Texas, they truly have gently caress you money

I wouldn't doubt they put out feelers and had some casual conversations with figures being thrown around but that weird chest beating fanfiction probably did not happen

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Thermos H Christ posted:

or you can read it as jimmy sexton doesn't even need you to actually be pursuing his clients to use you to get them a raise

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Raku posted:

or you can read it as jimmy sexton doesn't even need you to actually be pursuing his clients to use you to get them a raise

If they wanted an "offer" to leverage they could probably just get in touch with some of our wealthier, more meddlesome boosters and get them all worked up. "Oh yeah, totally, $8m a year and it's done. Spread the word!"

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I reckon it's about time for all the "insiders" to start dishing out the latest news on the totally done deal(s) for the services of Tom Herman.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
as an enemy of texas athletics, i do hope they do not hire tom herman

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
If the season goes the way the game today did, I can't see Strong coaching another season. After a bye week following a poor defensive game, the defense regressed this week leading to a truly bad loss.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

as an enemy of texas athletics, i do hope they do not hire tom herman

Gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
"Sources" tell ESPN Charlie is gonna last the year and maybe be back

quote:

This year's Oklahoma game is critical for Strong, but his future does not depend on the outcome, the source said. If the Longhorns continue to struggle, though, the most likely scenario is that the defensive staff would be sacrificed for Strong to return in 2017, the source said.

• Locked thread