Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

Does it do the SMTIV thing of having special death animations for each spell branch?

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I can't believe Persona 5 is bad

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
how good are the non-party member P5 Babes(in terms of story), sicne Persona 3 and 4's were better than the party members by a mile

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

could you give a basic rundown of each character's role in combat

not too indepth just like

Yukiko: Fire/Healing
Yosuke: Everything, especially buffs/debuffs
Chie: Physical/Ice
Kanji: Physical/Thunder
Teddie: Buffs/Ice/Healing
Naoto: Everything, especially light/dark

Ryuji: Better Kanji, his physical attacks are infinitely good and his health is insane and he gets matarukaja and charge and he's loving great
Anne: Worse Yukiko, her magic damage is the highest, but her hp is piss poor and her claim to fame is status effects which only has so much of a place in fights and fire magic which is good.
Morgana: Healer and outright loving broken. Beyond the fact Morgana gets insanely good damage out of his wind spells, he gets stupidly strong healing abilities and a high rear end sp pool, he's so good.
Yusuke: Speed-Based Physical Damage. He's not gonna out damage Ryuji, but his magic is solid and he has a lot of attacks that hit multiple times increasing the overall damage he can do off of technical hits and his speed is also high leading him to dodge a lot and he has counter abilities which make him very untouchable to a lot of enemies. He's very glass canonny though, as a result.
Makoto: Well-Rounded. Makoto doesn't excel at anything, but she's good at everything she can do. Do you need someone to do full party physical attacks at the moment? She's got that. Do you need nulear abilities that poo poo out damage? She's got that. Do you need full party heals that you can rely on? She has that too. She even has a full party defense buff and a gun with high rear end accuracy. She's a useful asset to have on your team.
Haru: Reflector God. She specializes in abilities that make it so your team is effectively untouchable by having things like Tetrakarn, Makarakarn, and other such stuff and she has really good magic in her psychic spells as well.
Goro: Naoto, literally Naoto. He has light, dark, and almighty based spells. He has a loving pistol and a dumb glowing sword. His damage is very good, his sp is very high, and he can also use a stupidly powerful physical ability, HE'S JUST BETTER NAOTO.

No one in the cast is outright bad, but not all teammates were created equal.

Big spoiler
Don't rely on Goro.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

wet your whistlers mother posted:

She's okay, but I honestly think she's one of the duller members of the cast.

aaaaah i liked her hair the best :(

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Atlus improved teddy and risa, i trust them

Also you said this and it makes me laugh because I hated Rise and Teddie even after the english version made them slightly less unbearable, whereas I'm just ambivalent on Haru.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I thought Morgana was a girl

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

He uses masculine pronouns and is referred to as male by the cast

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd say the character weaknesses are:

Ryuji: He's your lightning guy but his magic is honestly kinda crap so it's only really useful for hitting weaknesses and sometimes not even then. The Kanji comparison is accurate. His shotgun hits hard but has limited ammo
Morgana: Honestly I don't think morgana has any really reliable weaknesses. He's just strong as poo poo.
Anne: Like Wetbaal said, she's pretty weak and vulnerable. Also her Uzi is kinda unreliable despite having tons of ammo.
Yusuke: Again, as mentioned, he's a glass cannon.
Makoto: Good at every but not great at everything, can be a little underwhelming at times if you directly compare.
Haru: Joins pretty late and her skillset is a little specific which can make her hard to fit generally.
Goro: His face is stupid and I hate it.

Your 'optimal' team is probably going to be Joker, Morgana, Makoto and a fourth based on the dungeon, maybe slotting Makoto out if nuclear just isn't doing it for you.

He uses masculine pronouns and is referred to as male by the cast

He's specifically asked what his gender is and says a dude IIRC.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I forgot about that too. Optimal team is prob gonna be Joker, Morgana, Makoto, and Ryuji, dude shits out damage way too much and his charge is invaluable with some of his late game skills.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also combined with baton touch he turns into a touch of death character even on bosses

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also combined with baton touch he turns into a touch of death character even on bosses

Oh yeah, if you don;'t know who to Baton Touch you Baton Touch him because a baton-touched Ryuji attack will do goddamn gangbusters on almost any team comp except the rare ones with some kinda phys resistance.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Baton Touched Ryuji is the best character in the game, no one gets as much off of baton touch as he does, holy poo poo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
On a scale of vanilla p3 to p4 golden, how is the leniency on trying to max out all the co-ops?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would honestly say P4 vanilla because you don't get anywhere near the amount of forgiveness Golden gives you, but it's honestly still very forgiving especially since Fortune actually can up the amount of points you get from social stat training and coop interactions

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'm probably dumb and it was probably already explained multiple times, but what is baton touch exactly anyways? Is it just like a one more that's passed off to whoever you want?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Saagonsa posted:

I'm probably dumb and it was probably already explained multiple times, but what is baton touch exactly anyways? Is it just like a one more that's passed off to whoever you want?

Whenever you hit a weakness, any of your characters at a certain point in their coop can baton touch another provided they aren't knocked down, dead, or status effected. Baton Touch is basically a doubling to all of your stats onto another character in exchange for the point character's extra turn, but really it's not exchanging a loving thing in certain cases so much as an instant win button.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It also has the nice purpose of allowing non-Joker characters to spend their SP off Joker's flexible elemental coverage. Joker can hit a Nuclear-weak enemy and then swap over to Anne who can clean up the fire-weak enemies rather than Joker having to Nuclear then Fire and blow through his SP pool more quickly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there a shortcut or shorter method to switch between personas outside of battle, because I usually cook up an SP recover persona to lead off battles.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, it's the same as before. You go to the menu and switch them from there. On a plus switching persona in combat is basically instant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Is there a shortcut or shorter method to switch between personas outside of battle, because I usually cook up an SP recover persona to lead off battles.

There isn't but the Clinic sells accessories that give you SP recovery and I basically kept one of those on Joker 24/7.

No, it's the same as before. You go to the menu and switch them from there. On a plus switching persona in combat is basically instant.

Beyond how fast it is there's even a button that will INSTANTLY swap you to a Persona that has an elemental attack an analyzed enemy has a weakness to if you have it in your party.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
What are your guys' favorite non-party member Coops? I've seen people say that Temperance is great along with the max rank benefit being totally broken from a gameplay perspective, what other ones have you found enjoyable and/or useful?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've already gushed about how much I love Temperance, but I also liked Yusuke's a lot because a lot of it involved his paintings and see what weird nonsense he'd concoct and Tae's is good too because it starts with her feeding you medicine that knocks you the gently caress out and leads to a story about a doctor's responsibilities to their patient and how Tae has to deal with that. Also I didn't get to do all of it but Munehisa's about him selling guns under the table and how that works in Japan is really cool and I'm gonna try to finish that on a second playthrough. The tower kid who teaches you gun techniques is great too because he's a pro at his gun game in the arcade and teaches you about it and gets progressively pissed off with how rear end you are the at the game.

Also Caroline and Justine are outright my favorite attendants, they make fun of you and poo poo on you so much and you can taking anything that passes as a compliment from them too far and Caroline will threaten to beat the poo poo out of you while Justine insults your entire existence and that she regrets being even a little nice to you. They're the loving best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

What are your guys' favorite non-party member Coops? I've seen people say that Temperance is great along with the max rank benefit being totally broken from a gameplay perspective, what other ones have you found enjoyable and/or useful?

Hm, that's tough. I like Tae (Death) and Sadayo (Temperence) most of all I think. Tae is fun and has some great dialogue options and Sadayo's is just great.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Whenever you hit a weakness, any of your characters at a certain point in their coop can baton touch another provided they aren't knocked down, dead, or status effected. Baton Touch is basically a doubling to all of your stats onto another character in exchange for the point character's extra turn, but really it's not exchanging a loving thing in certain cases so much as an instant win button.

ImpAtom posted:

It also has the nice purpose of allowing non-Joker characters to spend their SP off Joker's flexible elemental coverage. Joker can hit a Nuclear-weak enemy and then swap over to Anne who can clean up the fire-weak enemies rather than Joker having to Nuclear then Fire and blow through his SP pool more quickly.

Ah, thank you, both for this and for the informative posts about P5 in general.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

How practical is it to switch your party around every dungeon or so? I know there was talk about the most optimal group but do the characters you're not using get xp along with the active party or do they just fall behind really quickly?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

ImpAtom posted:

Hm, that's tough. I like Tae (Death) and Sadayo (Temperence) most of all I think. Tae is fun and has some great dialogue options and Sadayo's is just great.

How's Fortune? I like her character design, and getting extra points for the other links makes it seem like a good one to prioritize early.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

How practical is it to switch your party around every dungeon or so? I know there was talk about the most optimal group but do the characters you're not using get xp along with the active party or do they just fall behind really quickly?

If you buff the Moon coop (Yuki Mishima) then he gives your reserve members exp and if you do the star coop (Hifumi Togo) she can give you the ability to swap teammates mid dungeon and battle so it is absolutely feasible to switch your team comp entirely to accommodate for certain things. I only had to do it once, but it doesn't seem like it's very impractical at all.

Grozz Nuy posted:

How's Fortune? I like her character design, and getting extra points for the other links makes it seem like a good one to prioritize early.

She's a fortune teller who gets really upset that she draws cards for you that she feels like she shouldn't be getting and is generally p funny. She's got personality, but I wouldn't say I find her stuff super engaging, just fun.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If you buff the Moon coop (Yuki Mishima) then he gives your reserve members exp and if you do the star coop (Hifumi Togo) she can give you the ability to swap teammates mid dungeon and battle so it is absolutely feasible to switch your team comp entirely to accommodate for certain things. I only had to do it once, but it doesn't seem like it's very impractical at all.

Sweet. Kinda dumb they're under coops rather than things you just have, but it's good they're there at all (swapping in battle in particular sounds pretty cool).

I just like to switch the party often in rpgs, I generally like all the characters so i'm disappointed when it's not practical to use all of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

Chihaya's okay. She didn't really stand out to me but she's pretty easy to get going once you meet her and has some funny dialogue. I would say her and Sadayo are the absolute best to max out first in terms of saving time. You'll want to at least get Sojiro to the point you can make coffee because getting that extra 30SP recovery can be the difference between finishing early dungeons 1 day or or 2. It trails off later on once you have more SP recovery options though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sojiro is also one of the biggest offenders of things gating you off from progressing his coop consistently. You have to make coffee to impress him, then you need social stats for certain ones, and then it can still take a while to rank him up even at lower levels because he seems to take more time than most other night characters, probably because he's accessible from the start and SP healing items are insanely invaluable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sojiro is also one of the biggest offenders of things gating you off from progressing his coop consistently. You have to make coffee to impress him, then you need social stats for certain ones, and then it can still take a while to rank him up even at lower levels because he seems to take more time than most other night characters, probably because he's accessible from the start and SP healing items are insanely invaluable.

He at least does gain friendship points from you making coffee so you can make coffee and rank him up at the same time, but yeah. It takes a long time to level him up and he's also plot-gated too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Ryuji just did 1k off of a power charged angeystra with matarukaja and this without rakunda on the boss and baton touch, this character is loving stupid

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lame that his coop is gated. I liked the idea that your guardian this time wasn't even family and barely gives a poo poo about you. I've only seen the like first 2 hours or so and (early game spoilers I guess) I loved that he gives Joker an awful room that just does not look liveable in, complains about having to introduce him to the school, and basically outright calls him a troublemaking piece of poo poo. So I was kinda looking forward to that coop.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Also Ryuji just did 1k off of a power charged angeystra with matarukaja and this without rakunda on the boss and baton touch, this character is loving stupid

I'm glad he's powerful because I like his design and his persona a lot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Lame that his coop is gated. I liked the idea that your guardian this time wasn't even family and barely gives a poo poo about you. I've only seen the like first 2 hours or so and (early game spoilers I guess) I loved that he gives Joker an awful room that just does not look liveable in, complains about having to introduce him to the school, and basically outright calls him a troublemaking piece of poo poo. So I was kinda looking forward to that coop.

A big part of the gating is Futaba so it honestly kind of makes sense.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sojiro is an awesome character, but yeah it's hard to make progress with him because of how much poo poo you have to push past.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am glad most of the characters I thought looked cool are seemingly actually cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
2k off of baton touched power charged tarukajad downed enemy Ryuji all hits on critical because of revolution, still no Rakunda, maybe i can bump it up to 3k with rakunda