Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

The GEAR folks watch as the Nadesico B shows up, right on time; Shibuya has heard much about it, built as the successor of the ship responsible for ending the Lizard War three years ago, and how much it helped during the Baam War and Devil Gundam Incident a year ago.
Inoue also remembers how the captain, Ruri Hoshino, the Electronic Fairy, also holds the record as being the youngest person to ever take command of a ship; Aiko huffs at how the professor left out how cute the girl us, prompting him to quip at how much the operator seems to know about girl.
Aiko’s a bit of a fan, having learned much about Ruri from articles written about her in women’s magazines and whatnot; she’s pretty famous, even among GEAR staffers. Whatever the case, Shibuya takes her as a fine ally to have in this crisis.

Harry and Saburouta (with the weird hair) coming everything’s A-OK with the ship and Ruri asks them to bring it by GEAR HQ. Saburouta is quite surprised to see that the place actually IS built under an amusement park – he had a hard time believing it, despite hearing the stories.
Harry argues that it’s your standard secret base, though Saburouta figures an asteroid or the Japanese alps would be better suited for that. But never mind that, his focus now is checking out the local cute chicks in GEAR and the team coming aboard.

Harry sighs at the guy’s usual antics, though Saburouta insists that a man should always seek to meet new people. The kid’s still surprised at him, having thought all Jovian men to be serious and brave sorts.
But that’s a conversation for another time. Ruri tells them to start loading the new units as soon as they’re moored – time is of the essence. What, she won’t even meet with GEAR’s chief? No, that’ll have to be postponed. When everyone’s aboard, it’s straight to the moon.

Later on, Ruri formally introduces herself to everyone. Judau’s a bit stunned to see that the Nadesico’s captain is around their age and she takes it as a compliment. Inwardly, Beecha sighs at how he’s been one-upped in the “young captain” department, while Aqua feels the average team age moving further and further away from her.
Speaking of, Puru is very impressed with the ship and wastes no time to start Purupurupuru’ing around, much to Puru Two’s worry. Saburouta likes her energetic vibe, though, as well as the fact that they’ve got some girls around Harry’s age around.
Eris, meanwhile, introduces herself to Ruri; the captain herself has actually heard of the MIT prodigy before and Eris is bursting with pride at that. Ruri’s actually curious about her work and asks that Eris give her the rundown on Data Weapons once this mission’s wrapped up. She stammers that she’d be happy to, and Kirakuni quietly laughs at how nervous the girl is.

Eris’ attention is grabbed by a picture placed beside Ruri’s chair, which she says is of her family. Taking a look, Beecha if these are her brother and sister – “more or less,” Ruri says. Eris has done her homework, though, and knows it depicts the late Nadesico captain and her husband: Yurika Misumaru and Akito Tenkawa.
When Ruri asks what she’s thinking, Eris stammers once more and changes the topic; she’d like to know more about this cutting edge ship as it could be useful later on. Ruri tells her to feel free to ask Harry about any non-classified matters.

The kid introduces himself as Harry Makibi, the Nadesico B’s XO. Saburouta likes seeing Harry make friends with this cute girl – mayhap this is his first step in the rose-colored road towards :wiggle:
As Harry flushes, Saburouta Takasugi introduces himself to everyone. Rain greets him back, taking the time to apologize for the trouble she unintentionally caused this ship during the Devil Gundam Incident. Domon also steps over to personally thank the entire crew for their help back then.

: Yeeaah, I remember you! We all heard your passionate yelling.
: Hrm…
: His what now?
: U-Um…
: Right before he finished off the Devil Gundam, this guy was screaming so loud pretty much the whole universe heard him. “I LOVE YOOOUUU! I NEED YOOOUUU!”
: Th-that was…
: Whoa… You said all those things to Rain, Domon?
: Well, I… Y-yes…
[IMG]http://lpix.org/2542414/KirakuniNormal].png[/IMG]: Domon… You’re a proper man among boys…
: Seriously. That crazy heartfelt confession of yours even got me all tingly.
: Must be nice…
: Huh?
: N-Nothing!
: Relax, girl. With that sexy getup of yours, it’s only a matter of time before you’ve someone saying stuff like that to you.
: (And here I go, being the butt of the joke again... That’s four now...)
: Or maybe I should go ahead and say it myself?
: Lt. Takasugi!
: What, you wanna be the one?
: Wh-wh-what are you talking about?!

Saburouta sighs at how Harry always reacts the same way to his jives, though the kid says he’s not an Aestivalis that can simply be stirred differently; speaking of Aestivalises, Ruri heard that something like one emerged in Kyoto? Via Boson Jump, yeah.
Aqua has some data and videos that she can pass along, though the Nadesico team already expects it to be THAT ghostly robot. The strange part about the debacle with that bot is how unenthused the Hisago Investigative Committee was about looking into the matter; they just labelled the ghost as a “misidentified” unit and tried sweeping it under the rug.
Figuring out what actually happened is their mission… but only after the Dendoh’s rescued. So, Ruri asks everyone to get ready for takeoff.

Meanwhile, Ginga and Hokuto have been brought before the Gulfer leaders and they’re quite daunted at the size of their enemies. Conversely, Giga Absolute and Gurumei and appalled at how tiny the Dendoh’s pilots are: minuscule, even among such small beings as the humans.
Ginga doesn’t like their sass but Hokuto whispers for him to chill out – acting rashly won’t help them here. As Giga Witter praises Altair for his successful capture, the kids see the Ogre’s pilot as being another human.
Altair relates to the Gulfer that, for whatever reason, both of Dendoh’s Data Weapons are loose; he expects them to come over in pursuit of their masters and, when they do, he’ll capture them.

What do they do with the kids, then? “They’ll be sent to the Emperor. Despite their appearance, they are still the Dendoh’s chosen pilots,” Altair says and, once again, Hokuto has to hold Ginga back.
Giga Gurumei wonders if the two of them will be made into Altair’s subordinates – like Subaru, maybe. Regardless, Altair also expects the kids’ companions to be coming over to rescue them, so he tells the Spiral Castle to keep them under guard while he goes hunting the Leo and Unicorn.

The boys get thrown in a cell, Ginga demanding very loudly to be set free. A Gyandolar Zarios tells him to pipe down OR ELSE but a Falgos figures they can let the brat cry to his heart’s content. It’s not like they can go anywhere! Mwahahaha!
Ginga’s further pissed and yells even louder. Hokuto argues that screaming won’t do anything: if demanding they free them is all it took, they wouldn’t have locked them away in the first place. What, so he should just be a nice prisoner like Hokuto? No, he should wait for the right time opportunity – whether that be an escape on their own or a rescue from someone else.
Ginga isn’t too sure they could be rescued as he saw a crapload of RoBeasts inside the castle while they were being brought over.

No problem, as the cell door opens – it’s Vega, relieved to see them safe!
Ginga’s very surprised that she’s here but explanations will need to wait. They, and the Dendoh, need to get out lest Altair send them to the Gulfer homeworld.

As they prowl the Spiral Castle’s corridors, the kids are still curious as to how Vega managed to get all the way here. Can her bike even fly into space?! No, that’s asking too much – what she did was stow away in the Dendoh’s maintenance hatch while they were being brought over.
As for the guards posted by their cell, she used a little trick to get rid of them. More importantly, the Dendoh should still be in the hangar, so they’ll get it and make a break for it.

Ginga figures its tank is probably empty by now but Vega’s seen to that problem: she ordered said Gyandolar guards to take the Ogre’s batteries and put it in the Dendoh.
And how did she manage to order those guys around? As it turns out, her mask is equipped with a voice-mimicking device which she used to copy Altair’s (as demonstrated by Vega actually speaking one of the guy’s voiced lines). Impressive but there’s a problem…

: ! Watch out!

*Swoosh!*

: Oh? You managed to avoid my attack?
: It’s that guy!
: The Ogre’s pilot – Altair!
: This man’s Altair…?!
: How could those robots let a lone woman and children slip away… Size is their sole asset, I see.
: Hokuto, Ginga, I’ll handle him. You two head to the Dendoh.
: But what about you?!
: I’ll meet up with you later – hurry!
: You’d sacrifice yourself for them? How admirable. As a reward, I’ll slay you quickly!

*Sword block!*

: Urk!
: You parried my blade… Not bad!
: Vega!
: Go already! I’ll be fine!
: Come on, Hokuto! We’lll use the Dendoh to wreck this place from the inside!
: O-OK!

*Off they go.*

: Stop right there!
: You’ll have to deal with me first, Altair!
: I know not who you are but you’ll have ample time to regret opposing my blade in the afterlife!

*Clash!*

: Argh!
: I have you now, woman!

*Crash!*

: drat it – my mask!
: Y-You’re…?!
: !
: Uurgh! Gwaaaargh!!
: (Again, he’s in pain after looking at me…!)
: Rrrgh! You…!
: (If I’m escaping, it has to be now!)

Back to us, the Nadesico’s already entered into the sectioned off sector of the moon; we’re headed to the Spiral Castle and, already, Eris is detecting RoBeasts heading our way.
Ruri doesn’t want anyone deployed, however, ordering a wide Gravity Blast shot right at the center of the enemy platoon. Boom goes the entire first wave of attackers and Ruri asks her AI friend, Omoikane, to keep full speed ahead. Once we’re closer, she wants the strongest Gravity Blast possible fired to carve an opening for our troops.
Eris wants to be out there in person so she leaves, with a reminder from Ruri that our objective here is solely to rescue the Dendoh. Harry wonders if she’ll be alright but Ruri is confident: these people are more battle-hardened than he might think.

As they prepare to go with the plan, a call comes in from Vega. There’s a lot of static, though she manages to tell that they’re escaping with the Dendoh.
Before Rain can ask for details, however, the call breaks off. Looks like we’ll need to change our plans: as soon as we’ve broken into the Spiral Castle’s perimeter, Ruri wants everyone deployed. We’ll need to buy time until Vega and the Dendoh can escape.

Mission 15 (Moon Route) – Trembling Spiral, Resurrected Memories

We’re in and everyone deploys; the Spiral Castle is dead ahead and it’s as big as advertised. “I-It looks like a huuuge Funnel!” Puru says and Judau’s forced to concede her point. Iino’s intimidated but Beecha points out that the thing isn’t actually attacking, so relax.
Harry confirms the new mission parameters: everyone’s to engage the RoBeasts until the Dendoh escapes. Don’t engage them too far in, either. Saburouta agrees with the plan, seeing how we’re clearly not equipped to take on the whole dang place. We can absolutely rescue some captured princesses princes, though.

Harry does take the time to remind Saburouta not to stray too far from the Nadesico, already planning for when we need to bail. Saburouta wonders if asking such restraint from Domon would fly… signs point to no, as the guy swears to rescue Ginga and Hokuto. His fiery attitude is a wave of nostalgia for Saburouta.
Hugo’s also ready to give this everything he’s got: “I refuse to experience something like that again…!” he says, and Aqua wonders what he’s talking about. The Spiral Castle sees us coming, muttering that they’re managing to make some headway in the mission the Emperor gave them. He’s not about to let humans rain on their parade: “Your blood will paint this white earth red.”

Mission Objective: Shoot down all enemy units
Mission Failure: Any allied unit shot down
No problem at all, provided you keep an eye on your flimsier units. If you haven’t been leveling the ZZ kids up, chances are you’ll be a bit limited in your forces. Consider this the game giving you fair warning; that’s all I’m going to say.
Everyone here’s up to speed, though, so we’ll move in together. Keep Harry’s warning in mind and don’t let your guys stray too far from the ship.

Nadesico B (Ruri Hoshino/Harry Makibi)
Pilot Skills:
  • Hacking – Enables “Scan” as a menu option. Hit and Crit % raised against affected target
  • Support Attack L1
  • Support Defense L1
Spirit Commands – Ruri:
  • Iron Wall (30)
  • Trust (30)
  • Strike (20)
Spirit Commands – Harry:
  • Cheer
  • Vigor
  • Accelerate
  • Gain
Unit Features:
  • Gravity Wave Beam – Any Aestivalis within six tiles will have its EN restored (marked by the yellow squares centered around the ship)
  • Phase Transition Engine – unit recovers 10% EN every turn if in space
  • Distortion Field
Ruri’s Voice Actress: Omi Minami (other known works: Xiaomu in Endless Frontier and stuff, Euphemia in Code Geass, Tama in Gintama and many more)
Harry’s Voice Actress: Noriko Hidaka (other known works: Noriko Takaya in Gunbuster, Kikyo in Inuyasha, Akane in Ranma ½ and many more)

The Nadesico’s better compared to the Nahel Argama: stronger and way bulkier thanks to the Distortion Field. Ruri herself is a worse pilot than Bright but not by a whole lot.
Doesn’t matter one way or the other as, in a game with only two ships, you’re stuck with her. Her Hacking is pretty much the baby form of Z’s Analyze, though without the damage boost… not too impressive.
Regardless, the Nadesico’s also pretty much a necessity if you want to use Aestivalis.

Super Aestivalis Saburouta (Saburouta Takasugi)
Pilot Skills:
  • Prevail L2
  • Support Attack L1
  • Support Defense L1
Spirit Commands:
  • Focus (15)
  • Iron Wall (30)
  • Strike (15)
Unit Features:
  • Distortion Field
  • Gravity Wave Beam Requirement - Unit fully recovers all of its EN each turn, so long as it's within six spaces of Nadesico B. Any action taken outside of the Gravity Beam range will consume an additional 5 EN, even guarding and evasion. If EN falls to 0, the unit becomes inactive.
Saburouta’s Voice Actor: Shinichiro Miki (other known works: Ryusei in SRW Alpha and OGs, Kojiro/James in Pokemon, Kurz in Full Metal Panic and a truckload more)

Blah, is what I say. He was mediocre in W, he’s still mediocre here. At the very least he’s not completely overshadowed by EVERYONE as he was back then, though.
His main niche here is being a Distortion Field-breaker as his Distortion Attack goes right through the stuff, unlike most other weapons. This is particularly handy when dealing with stuff like the Hokushin guys.

Saburouta's spirit list shows his Jovian blood is still full of GEKI GANGER, though that doesn’t jive too well with a Real Robot (unlike his past Tetsujin/Daitetsujin). At least Iron Wall will give you more mileage of the Distortion Field, though it’s always best for him to just dodge stuff.
He’s reliable enough but will all but certainly end up as a bench warmer unless you go out of your way.

Everyone moves onward as a nice group.

Enemy Phase!

In come the little Gulfer.

I never noticed their adorable gun before (because they usually die before getting a chance to attack).

Player Phase!

Giga Absolute comes with news of the Dendoh pilots’ escape from their cell.
What about Altair? Seems like they slipped away right under his nose. The Spiral Castle commands the RoBeasts to pursue and to send the Gyandolar as well. Inwardly, he fumes at Altair for screwing up at such a critical juncture.

These mooks make for some easy ZZ fodder, as Beecha shows.

Pretty much anyone here can oneshot them.

Like so.

Roux gains a level in Newtype while Puru Two learns Alert.

Enemy Phase!

Now why would you do that?

Domon profits from the suicidal mook, taking Prevail and Sword Cut L4.

Player Phase!

Ruri’s picked up a signal and confirms it via data given by Eris. What is it? She’s pinging the Data Weapons nearby; they really care for their masters, it seems.
She tells everyone to be on alert – the Dendoh should be arriving soon, sixty seconds give or take. Beecha wonders how she’s so sure but Saburouta vouches for her insight in battle. Time to plow the road for them but, of course, never going too far away from the ship lest it screw up our retreat.

Might as well get some usage out of Saburouta.

Always be oneshotting.

Puru Two, Elle and Judau clear the rest, pushing Domon into Hyper Mode. Judau also takes Newtype L3.

And out comes the Dendoh, much to the Gulfer’s annoyance. As soon as they break through the castle’s walls, they see the team waiting to pick them up and confirm to Domon that they’re alright. Problem is, they’ve a bunch of Gyandolar in pursuit and are immediately surrounded.
They didn’t really think they were escaping THAT easily, did they?

: Idiots! We’ve got the cavalry here to pick us up!
: “Cavalry”...? Ye dinnae mean… ’im, do ye?!
: Jings…! Nae guid… Speak o’ the devil an’ ‘e’ll appear… Again!
: Nevermind. If there’s ony cavalry ‘ere, it’s the one taking ye tae 'Ell! Yer surroondid! Hoo do ye figure ye kin escape?!
: Easy! I’ll bust through you with my fists!
: Ohoho! Ye’ve got stones. Wot a braw lad! But are ye still gunna be talking like that efter ‘e comes ower?!
: “He”?!
: That’s reit! It’s yer ride tae 'Ell, right thare!

: You’re not going anywhere, Dendoh…!
: Ogre… Altair!
: Urgh, they’re in trouble!
: And we can’t fire the Gravity Blast with them so clustered…!
: GAHAHAHA! Serves ye reit, brat!
: drat it…!
: If only we had the Leo or Unicorn with us…!
: Ginga! Hokuto!
: And that’s the end of their escape…
: Yes, though they got rather far.
: I… I’m not throwing the towel! No way!!
: Right…! The second you think it’s over, that’s when you’re really finished!
: (Hokuto, Ginga…! And I can’t do anything in a situation like this…!)
: I’m not about to let this happen again! Come on, Hugo!
: Aye, aye! Keep an eye on our output, Aqua!
: I got it!
: Yow, this really is nostalgic. Still, I reckon I can follow their lead here.
: What do we do, Captain?!
: It’ll be all right.
: Huh?!
: Attack. Destroy everyone, except the Dendoh.
: Aye, that wis the idea fae the stairt!
: Prepare to meet your end!
: HOLD IT!!
: ?!
: W-Wot the?! Whae wis that?!
: Where are you?! Show yourself, whoever that was!
: It’s…!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-sSLdBNulY
Captions are available.

: Oh, fools who know not the emptiness of combat… Fighting is only permissible when it is done in the name of saving loved ones.
: And the person who has the courage to sacrifice oneself to emerge victorious… That is what people call… a hero!
: What…? You dare approach the Spiral Castle so impudently? Who are you?!

“You do not deserve to know my name!”

: Where there is darkness, there is light… Where there is evil, there is justice.
: The emissary of the heavens, Kenryuu, has arrived!
: Blast you, Rom Stoll! Sniffed us out, did you?!
: Ah knew it…
: You again?! In that case…! Viper Drive, INSTALL!

: Then I’ll answer in kind!

: PIIIIIIILE FOOORMATION!!

: Behold! Vikungfu!!
: Och, haud up! Ye cannae just go an’ transform! That’s pure unfair, nae?!
: “Unfair”…? That word suits you far better than anyone else, Devil Saturn 6!
: He’s so cool…!
: Harry?
: Ah… Excuse me. But when you said it’d be alright, were you talking about…
: No, my prediction turned out wrong… but this is still fine. Either way, is that man is an ally?
: Y-Yes… He helped us during Operation Yashima too.
: …
: It’s that guy…!
: He’s come to save us…?!
: … They are beckoned.
: Huh?
: The Sacred Electronic Beasts have come, over there.

: L-Leo!
: Unicorn… They followed us all the way here?
: :horse:
: So that’s where you were! Good, I’ll claim both—!
: No, you won’t!!

*Rom pins down Altair*

: Urgh! Bastard!
: Go! Call out your Sacred Beasts!
: Hokuto!
: Ginga!
: File Save: Leo Circle!
: File Save: Unicorn Drill!

*Both Data Weapons fade into the Dendoh.*

: Unicorn!
: Welcome back, Leo!
: Oh, thank goodness…

That’s our main objectives taken care of, so it’s time for us to bail. Though Ruri knows running away is quite the bummer after all this hype, she asks that everyone board the Nadesico in three minutes.
What about Rom, then? He tells Ginga not to worry and to focus on leaving here. Time is short!
The Spiral Castle sees what we’re up to and a pissed off Altair is already charging in.

As before, you don’t NEED to bring everyone onto the Nadesico; if you’re confident, you can down everything and the plot will kick in just the same.
Of course, if your team isn’t too evenly strong, you might run short, so keep everyone together.

And Rom’s finally taken off the kiddie gloves, transforming the Kenryuu into Vikungfu. This thing, on top of being one of the strongest units around, is also bulky as hell with that lovely barrier + shield combo. God Hand Final reduces all damage by 1500, so mooks will have a very hard time doing any damage against him (and Rom’s surprisingly dodgy).
Of course, the power boost is offset by an increase in EN cost and, more importantly, a huge dip in range: aside from his weakest attack (3-6 range), everything Vikungfu has is point-blank. Rom outright has no attack that can hit at range 2.
The good thing is that all his moves can be used post-movement, so there’s that. All this just strikes me as a small handicap in order to stop Rom from destroying everything that looks at him wrong.
It will not work.

Case in point.

Lovely.

Under the safety blanket of Hokuto’s Iron Wall, Ginga will clear out all the nearby Zarios.
Beecha also nabs a Kasmodon.

Might as well start working on Altair. All bosses run off under 30% HP, so keep that in mind if you want their goodies.

: Ah, the one who failed to defend the Dendoh back on Earth… Did you come all the way to the moon out of some sense of responsibility?
: drat straight! Ginga and Hokuto are our comrades… and I’m done losing comrades under my watch!
: Hugo…

Good damage.

Same treatment for Deondra.

: Those who conspire with evil are evil themselves! I’ll take on the lot of you!
: … Whatever planet we’re at, Kenpo fighters are always these in-your-face types, huh? Then I might as well get rid of you and Rom in one go!

Getting them all primed.

Enemy Phase!

Oh, boy, here he comes.

: Didnae yer maw teach ye not tae stick yer nose whaur it doesn’t belong, Rom Stoll?! And ye’ve naething ta do with this werld’s folks!
: Where there is evil, there is justice! By the guidance of the Wolf Blade, I’ll lay punishment upon the lot of you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahc92pmiXlU
“You’re carrying out your villainy here as well, Devil Saturn 6?!”

There go the Zarios.

Of course, Altair decides to get clever.

: You won’t get away from me, Dendoh!
: You’re crazy if you think…!
: We’d let you kidnap us again!!

:itjb:

Player Phase!

With some work from Roux and Hugo, Saturn’s at just the right spot.

: Stop reit thare, brat! Bringing ye in’ll gie a big boost tae oor commander renk!
: The 'ell do Ah caur aboot ye?!
: Whoa, Ginga! You can speak Scottish?!
: Heheh… Guess I picked some of it up after hearing his comedy act.
: Ooh, ye bastart! ‘Ave a laugh at me and Ah’ll go my dinger!

Devil Saturn can’t take any more punishment and runs off in a hurry.

And I forgot that Domon had a convo with him…

: Crivens! Noo that Ah look at ‘im… Is ‘e an earthling Kenpo fighter?! We’ve only bad memories aboot Kenpo fighters!
: Good! My fists will add another failure to your pile!

Hugo weakens Deondra and off goes Saburouta.

: Hmm… She’s a little bit older but still pretty nice…
: H-huh…?! What are you babbling about?!
: Sorry but I’m short on time today! Our date’s gonna have to wait ‘til later!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWZ469ZGL_E
And here’s his strongest move.

Deondra will (also) remember this and runs along.

And the last one…

: You came all the way here to retrieve the Dendoh, hm…?! That’ll cost you your head!
: No way! Ginga and Hokuto are both safe, so we’re headed straight outta here!

: This is payback for before!
: Out of my way!

: You actually believe you stand a chance against the Ogre…?
: The Vikungfu will not be bested by a heart steered by darkness!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzW6IwzVOtE
Captions are available.

Altair’s headache starts flaring up again and he leaves in pain.

As we prepare to escape, Ginga thanks Rom for the assist. None are needed and he hopes to see us again. :qq:

Notable loot: Chobham Armor, Cartridge and Thruster Module (equipped unit has an S rating in space)

Safely aboard the Nadesico, Ginga and Hokuto can finally let their feet up. Puru and Kirakuni are so very relieved that all three are safe and Judau is quite impressed by the kids’ unbreakable spirit.
Hokuto chalks it all up to Vega and everyone else’s help… and Rom, of course. Saburouta wasn’t around the last time, so Domon gives him the rundown about the Cronosian. And while there’s much we don’t know about him, Domon can easily vouch for his skill as a martial artist. High praise from the King of Hearts.

Hokuto is still curious as to how the guy knows about the Data Weapons but Rain figures, as an alien, he might’ve run into one of them somewhere or heard rumors? Ginga hopes we can get the guy to join our crew as, then, we’d be able to look for the Data Weapons without having to rely on Eris’ crazy programs.
Kirakuni prods the kid, saying the Unicorn and Leo are back safely so all’s well that ends well, right? Maybe not…

: … I’m sorry, Ginga, Hokuto…
: Ah…?
: It was because of my tracking program that the Leo and Unicorn fled… and that got you two into so much trouble…
: drat right! We went through so much crap because of you!
: I’m so sorry…
: Ginga, she didn’t do any of that on purpose. Surely you can tell that much.
: That’s right. And a proper man will know how to forgive and forget.
: But we were sooo close to being shipped off to the Gulfer planet!
: And Eris worked really hard to save you two, no?
: And we can’t really blame it all on her, since the Ogre only caught us because we weren’t paying attention…
: Aah, fine! Fine, I get it!
: Eris, are you really sorry for what happened?
: Y-Yes…
: Then finish up that tracking program and help us find the other Data Weapons.
: You… You forgive me?
: It’s not about forgiving or not. If we went crazy on each other over every screw up, I’d be getting yelled at every single day.
: And I guess you’re also part of the team… so I don’t want you to be bummed out all the time.
: Thanks, Ginga…
: Ah, come on… Don’t thank me…!
: Now, now, no need to play it cool.
: Ah, to be a teenager...
[IMG]http://lpix.org/2542414/KirakuniNormal].png[/IMG]: Good times.

Vega thanks Ruri for her help with the rescue and the captain’s just glad that everyone’s safe. Furthermore, Ruri asks for a copy of the data she gathered inside the Spiral Castle to run some analysis of her own.
With this done, she tells Harry that the Nadesico will return to its mission of investigating the incident with the Hisago Plan. This includes, but isn't limited to, the Black Ghost and, upon Ruri's request, Vega says our team is more than willing to assist them with that.

…Do we have to?

Maillot’s already talked to the younger officers and Guiltorre is very glad: had the guy not returned to the moon, they risked an insurrection.
Maillot wants no thanks, saying that the officers are all quite willing and able to lay down their lives for the homeland; with their misgivings towards the upper brass quelled, he’s certain they’ll once more dedicate all that they are towards seeing Guiltorre’s ideals brought to life.
That said, there IS a certain faction among the brass which is still a problem – and if that isn't corrected, Maillot believes that this whole mess will recur.

Guiltorre asks what Maillot is getting at: Dorchenov. Why does the marshal allow that guy’s excesses? Everyone can see the blackness that pervades Dorchenov’s heart and it’s all but certain that he’s secretly colluding with Jovian remnants. If Guiltorre leaves him to keep at it, Maillot is certain their cause will suffer.
Still, Guiltorre argues that such men are necessary to uproot the evil that governs the earth Federation and bring about a new world order.

In effect, Guiltorre is advocating the use of a controlled amount of poison: as Zeon once tried to do, the marshal realizes that one cannot purge the corruption in the Federation’s system without extreme measures. That’s why, during the Neo Zeon attacks, he allowed the one use of the Mass Driver to bring the iron hammer of justice upon them.
The Earth Sphere has moved past the point where spontaneous change could save it; Guiltorre figures he’ll go the way of Gihren Zabi, remembered as one of the greatest fools in human history, but he’ll accept it in the name of restoring human society.

Just then, Dorchenov bursts in and demands to know why the young officers have received no punishment; the Giganos’ iron-clad order must be enforced with suitable action against insubordination!
Guiltorre doesn’t seen the need, as the movement was quelled before any disturbance ever took place. Dorchenov calls this thinking naive and will only fuel the officers’ attitude – they need to be made an example of.
Maillot politely informs him that those same officers swore their undying allegiance to Guiltorre: he therefore judges punishment unnecessary. Dorchenov sniffs that the son of a traitor can make no such claims; plus, Maillot’s inability to recover the D Weapons has allowed the Federation to reach the point where they can mass-produce the things. Just how does he intend to make up for all that?
By striking down the enemies of Giganos.

Fine, so Dorchenov has new orders for him: they’ve received intel that a new MS is being developed in the Federation’s docking ship La Vie en Rose. So, he’s to grab a bunch of Metal Armors and capture everything, ship included.
Maillot confirms and sets off, leaving Dorchenov with another matter to speak with Guiltorre. With the Federation on the cusp of mass-producing the Dragonars, they’ll obviously start a counteroffensive against the Giganos. So, before it gets to that point, Dorchenov wants permission to wreck the production plants, and several other key locations, with the Mass Driver.

Guiltorre isn’t having it and an outraged Dorchenov asks if he wants them to just sit idly as the Federation builds its strength? The marshal figures there are other ways beyond the Mass Driver to oppose the Federation, so he won’t allow the thing to be fired again.
Inwardly, Dorchenov fumes that this is hardly the time for Guiltorre to be taking this sort of approach; some extraordinary measures may be necessary…

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So, Dorchenov seems to be shaping up to be the Ghiren of Dragonar, as far as I can tell.

On a scale of Space Hitler to Djibril, how comically :moreevil: is this guy?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

So, Dorchenov seems to be shaping up to be the Ghiren of Dragonar, as far as I can tell.

On a scale of Space Hitler to Djibril, how comically :moreevil: is this guy?
He really loves to send his opponents to the Netherlands, if that helps.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Saburouta's artwork makes him look like a creepy flat faced reptile man.

Wait is he meant to be a flat faced reptile person?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Well, they weren't called the Jovian Lizards for nothing :v:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's part of the terrible secret of space.

No, not really, the Jovians were all human miners that a Nergal subdivision left out there to die because their budget got axed.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

In truth, he looked a lot more human when he was a regular, hotblooded Jovian.

God, I miss W's version of Nadesico. They even managed to make PoD tolerable.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
Unfortuately you are gonna have to do through Prince of Darkness again Brunom because it's one of the storylines of the games.... also it's coming back in SRW V.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Banpresto should allow us to forget Prince of Darkness ever happened. It isn't even fun to mock like SEED Destiny, it's just a gigantic piece of poo poo that should've never existed and was made by people who completely failed to understand the original show and somehow wrote something that followed everything Nadesico stood against.

Years later, Eureka Seven AO would do the same loving thing, but you know what doesn't appear in SRW so we can safely ignore forever? Yeah.

Prince of Darkness is so bad even the Latin American dub just...didn't give a poo poo. Several name mispronunciations, a change in VAs IIRC, and even some lines that weren't translated at all, and while I watched the only thing I thought was "this is still more effort than this poo poo deserves". Yes.

gently caress Prince of Darkness. At least W let Gai survive and actually take part in it unlike actual canon, here we don't even have that.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I wonder what it would take to bribe the scenario notes for movies 2 and 3 out of Kia Asamiya, I'm not suggesting that they wouldn't also be terrible, but they'd at least be a new flavor.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Banpresto should allow us to forget Prince of Darkness ever happened. It isn't even fun to mock like SEED Destiny, it's just a gigantic piece of poo poo that should've never existed and was made by people who completely failed to understand the original show and somehow wrote something that followed everything Nadesico stood against.

Years later, Eureka Seven AO would do the same loving thing, but you know what doesn't appear in SRW so we can safely ignore forever? Yeah.

Prince of Darkness is so bad even the Latin American dub just...didn't give a poo poo. Several name mispronunciations, a change in VAs IIRC, and even some lines that weren't translated at all, and while I watched the only thing I thought was "this is still more effort than this poo poo deserves". Yes.

gently caress Prince of Darkness. At least W let Gai survive and actually take part in it unlike actual canon, here we don't even have that.
I'd argue the best thing W did in its adaptation of PoD was actually bumping the "Inez is Ai" reveal from the end of the TV show to the end of the movie, because that change actually gives closure to events and wraps up a few character arcs much nicer due to being placed after the depressing events of PoD. Granted, Akito still waits until the second-to-last stage of W to join up (spoilers: he's going to do relatively the same thing here in MX), but at the end of the day, I give the writing staff for SRW W a lot of credit for taking the shows they were given and managing to create a good story out of it. Including taking a bunch of sub-par content and making them work brilliantly.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
:swoon: ROM STOLL! :swoon: Oh, and also, Dendoh stuff. Yay! Unfortunately, we now have to help the Nadescio B group. It's a fair trade. We got a stage reminding us how cool Rom Stoll is with some Dendoh plot, so in exchange we have to suffer through PoD. Wait, did I say fair? I meant evil, because we don't get to keep Rom Stoll to give us something out of this route. Basically :argh:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Question: Is Rom Stoll going to keep up this gimmick of appearing in the middle of a stage and decidedly not joining the team for the whole game?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Alacron posted:

Question: Is Rom Stoll going to keep up this gimmick of appearing in the middle of a stage and decidedly not joining the team for the whole game?

Well not the WHOLE game, but he does have one key event he needs to interrupt.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Alacron posted:

He's not going to take that long to join, unlike some other people.

The game just needs to hold back on big powerhouses like him and Zeorymer to safeguard whatever semblance of difficulty it thinks it has.

Onmi posted:

Rom has a lot of events he needs to interrupt and I love it. From the few that I saw a while back, I reckon he does that pretty much every episode in his series.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 2, 2016

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Blaze Dragon posted:

At least in Super Robot Wars you're not going to get stupid bullshit like TheEND being teased early on just so it can get blown up without any fanfare whatsoever in the final act.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
Zeorymer especially is not going to join us for a WHILE

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
Also kinda spoilerish but You got two choices after completing the first route mission.... For Moon Route, your probably gonna want to do choice 2 first because choice 1 is slightly difficult

Looking forward to the Earth Route, there's a lot more fun missions in that and GOOD units to get.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Vikingfu is so good it can tank the final boss without casting any spirits until the end of time, it doesn't run out of shield activations or anything.

ldragon
Feb 18, 2011

Onmi posted:

Now I'm kinda disappointed he doesn't keep interrupting everything till the end of the game.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

ldragon posted:

Now I'm kinda disappointed he doesn't keep interrupting everything till the end of the game.

Oh, don't worry.

What he meant was just that Rom wouldn't be dangled off our reach for the entire game.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
Well this route has Dendoh and G Gundam (also a reference to the best love confession of all times). I think that might be a fair trade-off for PoD.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Ashram posted:

(also a reference to the best love confession of all times)

You're thinking of Brunom's last thread. :colbert:

I mean, don't get me wrong, G Gundam ended on a really great note with a lot of sincerity and humanity, but nothing can beat having everybody on the team join in with Gainer in defeating Kashmir with their love. Or hunger, in Jiron's case. Whatever.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

You're thinking of Brunom's last thread. :colbert:

I mean, don't get me wrong, G Gundam ended on a really great note with a lot of sincerity and humanity, but nothing can beat having everybody on the team join in with Gainer in defeating Kashmir with their love. Or hunger, in Jiron's case. Whatever.

God almighty, I'm rereading that LP now and that moment is still just the absolute best :allears:

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
And that series is the closest that Capcom got to be in Super Robot Wars.... the art is from the guy that does the really good Capcom artwork

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

heavybassX posted:

Unfortuately you are gonna have to do through Prince of Darkness again Brunom because it's one of the storylines of the games.... also it's coming back in SRW V.

I think that confirms that Brunom's next LP is going to be SRW Reversal (or possibly SRW Gakuen) in order to keep the PoD pain train rolling.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Balendos has good news for Gandal: he’s found the Grendizer’s Achilles’ Heel! Plus, Jigura, a top member of King Vega’s royal guard, has been sent all the way from the homeworld to exploit it.
Jigura wants to cut the introductions short, not caring much for all the formalities. And he brings news that the King isn’t too pleased with the lack of progress on Earth; thus, he was sent over to bring about a definitive end to the Grendizer. Of course, he is also personally elated for the chance to cross swords with such a strong opponent.
Balendos is pleased his subordinate hasn’t changed in the slightest and, indeed, he’s read the data on the Grendizer. For a so-called “invincible” bot, it has quite the fatal weakness. He won’t tell Bracky what it is, though, figuring it would go right over his pinhead.
As Bracky fumes, Balendos tells Jigura to get to it – they already know where their foe lies.

Back in the Argama, Daisuke tells that Umon has just finished some support unit to the Grendizer and he wants to go pick it up before we head to Chongqing.
Bright’s a bit queasy with letting him go by his lonesome, especially since our forces are currently reduced but Misato argues that the RahXephon will be joining up with us soon. Furthermore, she figures adding the new support unit to our forces will also help cover the momentary decrease in power.
Daisuke requests Bright’s approval, adding that, if things go south with the Spiral Castle offensive, the Grendizer and “Double Spazer” will be able to mount a counterattack and rescue the kids.
Fine, Bright agrees BUT he wants the Mazinger and Getter Teams to accompany Daisuke.

Kouji's ecstatic to hear that the Double Spazer is finished. When Asuka asks, he explains that it’s meant as a support unit that can combine with the Grendizer just as the regular Spazer – and the Dragonars’ Lifter, as Light points out – does.
Of note is how the transformation time with it is much shorter than the regular thing. And off goes Daisuke to pick it up, with Asuka prodding Kouji not to waste time and get captured again.

Cut back to the bridge, Torres reports to Bright that the RahXephon’s already en route – a scant five minutes away from us.
Sounds good, so he asks Misato to welcome the TERRA team aboard.

And that, she does, introducing herself to Haruka as they arrive. Curiously, they have pretty much the same positions within their respective organizations. What about their age? They don’t say it out loud, closing it to whisper to each other.
Shinji watches from afar, wondering what they could be talking about. Sharing lessons learned over the years, Rei wonders? But, yes, Haruka and Misato confirm that they’ve the same age (29), much to their mutual amusement. “And would you, by any chance be…” Misato asks and Haruka completes the sentence: “A drinker? Absolutely.”
Akira looks on, laughing at the two hitting it off in record time, though Shinji seems a bit taken aback (I’d wager he’s wondering how he’ll survive having two Misatos around).

Megumi raises her voice, asking if Haruka isn’t going to introduce her and Ayato. She forgot all about them with her new BFF, so the kids shrug and introduce themselves; Megumi, additionally, will be serving as another of the Nahel Argama’s operators.
When Ayato names himself the RahXephon pilot, Akira seems rather surprised. That goes both ways, when Akira says he’s the Raideen’s. As they stare at each other, Misato and Haruka figures they’re already getting along.
“You call that ‘getting along’? They both just look shocked to me…” Shinji says and Megumi agrees. Well, Haruka figures everyone’ll have a chance to know each other from this day onwards. Misato looks forward to it.

Someone’s sneaking around the place, feeling a strong response from the Fleed royal pendant – the Grendizer has to be here.
“My mother, father and brother are long gone… It falls on me to recover the Grendizer, the guardian of Planet Fleed, from the hands of these demons!” the person proclaims.

Elsewhere, our people are checking out the Double Spazer. It’s rather smaller than the Spazer proper but Kouji says that, in turn, it’s a whole lot more agile. They’ll be doing a small combination test before leaving, and Kouji tells Sayaka he’ll be piloting the thing – his teamwork with Daisuke has been pitch-perfect since his time piloting the TFO.
Sayaka prods Kouji, saying Tetsuya’ll get really bummed out if he hears that. But he’s got Jun with him, so Kouji figures the guy would have no problem with his and Daisuke’s cool partnership… And Sayaka? “Well… you have the Diana, right?” he asks, prompting Sayaka to promptly call him an idiot and stomp off.
Kouji wonders what set her off like that and Hayato figures he wouldn’t understand. Michiru feels for the girl.

But never mind that! If Kouji and Daisuke’s team doesn’t fly, how about pairing Tetsuya with him? A powerful team, Mucha and Boss think… they could probably beat all enemies by just lecturing them. Looks like Kouji, with his strong bond with Daisuke, is the only choice.
Hikaru points out that, if they’re talking bonds, she can fit that bill just as easily and announces her candidacy for the Double Spazer’s pilot seat – she will not be left in the dust by Kouji! As Kouji fails to see what’s going on, Boss objects that both protagonists are so popular when he always gets zip. Nuke figures the beauty gap is too wide to bridge here but quickly shuts up as Boss starts wringing his neck.
And where is the popular Daisuke? Hikaru says he’s with Umon, getting things set up for the test. Kouji figures he might as well head over and help too—

“PREPARE TO DIE, DEMONS!
The hidden intruder starts blasting a ray gun, cursing we, blasted Vegans, for stealing the Grendizer. Unforgivable! Boss asks what the hell, causing the girl to flip out further – we dare feign ignorance after destroying Planet Fleed?!
Hikaru stops short upon hearing that name but the girl isn’t here to talk – only to take back the Grendizer! She starts blasting Hikaru, who only barely avoids the attack. Daisuke runs over right then, blindsiding the girl and tackling her to the ground. He warns her not to move and nobody’ll get hurt.
The livid girl demands he let her go, though Daisuke won’t of course. He wants her to pipe down and explain why in blazes she went and attacked us. It doesn’t fly and as the intruder shakes about to escape his grasp, Daisuke notices the pendant swinging around her neck. How did she come to possess such a thing? Who is she?!

She’s Maria Grace Fleed, daughter of King Fleed, and that reveal shocks everyone present. So much so that Maria manages to free herself and escape, vowing to take back Planet Fleed’s guardian.
Daisuke’s dumbstruck after this, though Hayato suggests we run after. The girl might be a Vegan spy. Kouji raises the point that she yelled as though WE were the Vegans her – plus, if what she said is true, that’d make her Daisuke’s sister.
Safest option is to go pick her up, especially considering how prone the Vegans are to showing up around here and start blasting.

Mission 15 (Chongqing Route) – Bond Upon Twin Wings

Maria is up ahead, frustrated with her failure. Still, she’s not about to give up in her quest. Our people deploy right then and Duke flies over in pursuit.
Maria snaps at the “Vegan mook” to go ahead and kill her already, then. She knows all about what this hateful army did: attacked her home planet, killed her entire family and even stole the Grendizer!
Duke asks who told her all that and Maria says it was the man who brought her away from Planet Fleed – her second father. But, then, the Vegan army attacked and he lost his life as well. “And, now, I’m all alone… the last survivor of Planet Fleed. But I will not give in! I’ll take back the Grendizer and avenge my family!” Maria yells.
At length, Duke speaks up and begs her forgiveness. Maria’s taken aback as she takes a better listen to his voice, finding it rather familiar. Duke’s about to explain what’s what when…

: Mwahahaha! I’ve found you, Duke Fleed!
: D-Duke Fleed?!
: Watch out, Maria! Run!

*Jigura charges in*

: Hrm! SHOOT IN—
: Oh, no, you don’t!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aol71icHrUI

: A-argh!

: Aah! The Spazer…!
: He destroyed it!
: Victory is mine!
: W-What…!
: Hmhmhm, I’ve done my homework. The Grendizer takes a whole seven and a half seconds to separate from the Spazer and, during that time, it is nigh defenseless. And with it destroyed, its offensive capabilities are more than halved… or, in other words, you are half dead! Ahahahahaha!
: Urk…! He was gunning for the Spazer from the start…?!
: You’re pathetic, Duke Fleed! May you rue your accursed fate as you plummet into Hell!
: drat you…!
: He’s Duke Fleed… My brother? He’s alive?!
: M-Maria, run…! Get out of here!
: Y-You’re…!
: Please, go! I can’t lose my one and only sister!
: It really is you…! Brother!
: Hurry up and leave! I… The Grendizer will not fall – ever!
: O-OK!

Jigura’s amused that Duke, despite the situation, still finds the time to care about that girl. As Kouji starts coming over, the guy brings in a batch of troops that he had set up to deal with us.
Duke’s a sitting duck now but no one’s about to sit by and watch him be killed. Bad guy hubris takes hold of Jigura, as he decides to kick back and enjoy watching us get slaughtered by the saucerbeasts.

Mission Objective: All enemies shot down
Mission Failure: Any allied unit shot down
Simple, especially considering there are only four saucerbeasts and they’re the weakest types. Lead with Kouji, Getter and TFO, leaving Sayaka, Michiru and Boss to clear up whatever’s left. Jigura will just sit by, so we don’t even need to worry about healing Duke (he’s immobilized, FYI).

Saucerbeast Jirajira (Jigura of the Royal Guards)
Pilot Skills:
  • Shield Defense L6
  • Support Attack L1
  • Support Defense L1
Jigura’s Voice Actor: Keaton Yamada (other known works: Hayato in Getter, 004 in Cyborg 009, Juuzou in Combattler and several more)

No Prevail. Yawn. He’s got fine stats and Shield Defense L6 gives him some longevity but only until you wear down his three shield charges. Then his Jirajira will melt under our Supers.
Just keep your Reals protected because he can do some not insignificant damage to them.

Let’s begin, with our most reliable unit!

Hikaru’s more evasive stats has been giving her flat 0% chances to be hit against pretty much everything.

Everyone else moves closer.

Enemy Phase!

The saucerbeasts are hanging back, through Hikaru and Kouji wreck attacking UFOs. One for her, two for him.

Player Phase!

Saved one for you, Boss.

Boosh!

Hayato and Michiru wreck two UFOs while Hikaru goes give them some EWAC. Along the way, she weakens a Gilgil.

I guess I might as well show off Sayaka’s strongest attack while I still can. She’ll either be benched or have to ditch the Diana A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzM1iSVx86w

There goes the first Gilgil.

Enemy Phase!

And I just realized I never showed Hayato’s Drill Arm. Being point-blank really limits its usability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbHWdP1PpjI
At least it’s got a cool cut-in.

The other two Gilgil’s bash their heads against Kouji.

Player Phase!

Drama dictates that, instead of steamrolling the Vegans, we’re actually on the verge of being overwhelmed. Jigura looks forward to that, as it’ll signal the moment for him to finish Duke off.
The Grendizer could fight back against the guy if it had a Spazer and Kouji asks Umon if the Double can’t be launched. It can but we’ve no one to pilot it right now. Kouji’s on the verge of retreating to hop on the thing but Sayaka points out that, if he does, it’ll leave a gap in our defenses and the lab will be in danger.
Umon’s on the verge of launching the thing on auto-pilot (a very dangerous gamble), when Maria rushes in and asks to be the pilot. She introduces herself as Daisuke’s sister and begs Umon to trust in her to save her brother; she can’t lose him after finally reuniting with him.

Fair enough, Umon agrees to it. Meanwhile, Ryouma calls Kouji over – they’ll fly to the Grendizer and just grab the thing away from Jigura’s clutches. Of course, Boss points out, that’ll leave them wide open to get blasted.
Duke tells them not to worry about him, saying he’ll find a way to get out of this mess. How, when the Grendizer can’t even move? “Kouji, my friends… take care of my sister,” is Duke’s answer. Kouji yells at Duke to stuff his cheap drama as he’s not taking it, and tells him not to throw in the towel just yet.

Especially because Maria launches the Double Spazer right then, much to Duke’s surprise.
Umon tells her to fly and rescue the Grendizer; she confirms, inwardly telling her brother to hold on until she arrives.

We now need to move Maria over to Duke but, as these things go, we can speed up the whole process by just wrecking the remaining mooks.

Double Spazer (Maria Grace Fleed)
Pilot Skills:
  • Precognition – When over 110 morale, +30% to dodge rate during the enemy’s turn.
  • Unyielding Spirit
  • Support Attack L1
  • Support Defense L1
Spirit Commands:
  • Focus (10)
  • Cheer (30)
  • Luck (40)
  • Attune (35)
Maria’s Voice Actress: Miho Yoshida (other known works: Lily Junkers in SRW OGs, some minor roles and… quite a few early-2000 hentai OAVs.)

Gee, Duke, who come the producers let you have TWO support girls?
Maria is more offense related, though, and has decent enough stats as far as her archetype goes. Precognition, her exclusive skill, plus Focus also gives her some more survivability than most (or you can place her in the TFO and laugh as she dodges everything forever).
Granted, that’s not really important because, if you deploy the Double Spazer, it’s not to send it into combat directly. You’ll see why in a sec.

Clean up time, real quick.

There.

And, why the hell not, let’s give Benkei some time out. The Getter 3 can actually work on land, so here’s its strongest attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSh9S323zXU

Benkei and Hayato get a boost to, respectively, Prevail and Counter.

*Maria zips over to the Grendizer*

: I’m here to save you, brother!
: Maria…!
: Maria, listen closely! Your Spazer and the Grendizer can unite via the Combination Cross! It’s by executing it that you can help Daisuke!
: I understand!
: You can’t, Maria! If the combination goes awry, it’ll mean your death as well!
: We won’t know until we try it!
: But the Combination Cross is…!
: Leave it to me, Daisuke! I’ll teach her the proper timing!
: What…?
: We’re used to combining with our Get Machines in under one second. You can count on us with this, alright?
: B-But…!
: No time for “buts”! Have faith in Maria – she’s your sister, right?!
: Kouji…!
: And you just reunited with her, so you absolutely can’t screw up now!
: Very well…! Let’s do this, Maria!
: Ready, brother!
: Maria, keep your eyes glued to your gauges and pay attention to your relative distance!
: R-right!
: 3, 2, 1!
: Here we go…! This is the gamble of our lives!
: 0! Now!

: Double Spazer, GO!!
: Scramble Turn! Combination Cross!

: Yes, they did it!
: Heheh, that’s a brother and sister for you. Their timing was perfect!
: Brother!
: Maria… very well done!
: Hmph, clever girl. But you’ll find that even after combining with a replacement Spazer, it won’t change anything!

Benkei’s a bit intimidated at Jigura’s backup, but that’s fine. Ours is here, too.
Jigura figures its convenient that so many nuisances have popped out the woodwork and decides to actually join the fight again. Duke and Maria, meanwhile, are ready to bring the proper might of Planet Fleed’s guardian to bear.

The Grendizer with Double Spazer is pretty much a flat upgrade to the regular Spazer form. Better yet, it gives the Grendizer choices of ranged attacks, beyond the expensive Space Thunder, with the Cyclone Beam and Double Cutter attacks (the latter being 3-7 and post-movement!).
Now for the bad news: like Fuunsaiki, you’re required to actually deploy the Double Spazer solo and THEN have it combine. Considering the number of troops we have and the ever-so-limited slots, that’s a significant issue.
It’s up to you but, personally, I find that Duke’s regular Spazer serves him well enough that he can make do with just that; for instance, Duke has been my top ace since pretty much the start of the game. The enemies mostly love to get in close.

Back to work, Asuka weakens a Gubigubi saucerbeast. Since I’m apparently using this mission to showcase hitherto unseen attacks, let’s go with Mari.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrCW0TgzDa8
Shinji finishes the job.

As for this one, it’s been tenderized by Light.

I’m getting the sinking feeling that these saucerbeasts don’t know Shield Defense.

Duke’s backing off from Jigura to try and bait the guy closer. Meanwhile…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sbkM2Fsp-Q
That’s beautiful range.

Enemy Phase!

Annoyingly, all saucerbeasts decide to gang up on Mari. She’s not in any danger, hiding under Light’s EWAC umbrella, but her counterattack damage isn’t too hot.

The Minifoos are not that determined, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPUfpaXd0qEvvvv

Some crash against Ayato, too. Shame that his barrier takes a while to get going, so he’s losing Shields.

Jigura plays ball and comes way closer.

Player Phase!

The Jinjins are all weakened after Mari. Just apply any other unit to push them a bit more and that’s game.

Repeat this for Akira and Bright.

Only one of those left and, uh oh, Boss has got enough morale to break out his really serious punch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISc0l8xbwWw
Perfect.

Only the Mother Burn left and its quite weak. Everyone closes in, getting ready to jump Jigura next turn.

Enemy Phase!

This is surprising. I expected him to prioritize Duke.

That’s about an even trade.

Player Phase!

Alright, one more for the road. I finally remembered to use Shinji’s MAPW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYacnM0CEeg
The problem with this is that stuff dies too fast to our melee folks for him to get a good firing angle.

At least he learns Assisted Attack L2 and we’re clear to take out Jigura.

: Hmhmhm… Powerful opponents are a dime a dozen here… Earth certainly is my kind of planet!
: This man… He enjoys war?!

: Again and again and again, baddies go and jump labs while we’re not around! You’re all a bunch of one-trick ponies!
: Bite your pretentions tongue, boy, or it’ll lead you to an early grave! Let me show you!

: I’d heard much of how impressive Earth’s weapons were… so what is this pile of trash doing among them?!
: You’ve done it now, guy! I’m gonna make you regret underestimating the Borot’s power all the way to the next life!
: Boss, that’s a very “bad guy” thing to say!

: Tough luck, Vegan! So long as we’ve got its back, the Grendizer won’t go down that easy!
: Fair enough! Then I’ll just have to exterminate you before destroying it!

: Your power precedes you, Getter Robo! Let’s put it to the test!
: This man… he’s bursting with confidence!
: I’ve come to this planet precisely to defeat the strong. You’d best not disappoint, Getter Robo!

: Do not assume you slapping those wings on means we’re now evenly matched!
: Then I’ll simply have to make you painfully aware of the Grendizer’s new strength!
: Hahahahaha, good! There’s no greater thrill to me than facing strong enemies!
: And how many people have you victimized for that reason?! How many planets have died for your enjoyment?!
: Oho, I’ve no idea! But I assume your planet was somewhere in that pile, right?
: Y-You fiend…!
: Laugh away, demon…! I’ll be turning that laughter into a howl of regret in due time! And that’s a promise!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRLtP3xU7WQ
And here’s Duke’s strongest move with the Double Spazer… and I forgot he had Leadership.

He also learns Faith/Friendship, a full heal at the selected target.
Notable drops today are: a Propellant Tank, Magnetic Coating and a Screw Module.

Jigura’s had some good fun today but he swears that it is only a matter of time for Duke to share the fate of his planet.
As he runs off, that’s all enemies down. Bright orders all units recovered and to settle the ship by the lab.

Maria’s so glad to meet with Duke face-to-face, though he begs her forgiveness for turning his back on everything in order to keep the Grendizer from falling into King Vega’s clutches. She holds no ill will, only happy to find him alive and well and Duke promises to never abandon her again.
Meanwhile, Akira and Haruka are pondering how Daisuke had a sister whom he was separated from for many years. “It’s tough, isn’t it…?” Haruka sighs inwardly.

Ben himself is watching the reunion and Kaine is blown away to see the hardass sergeant getting misty eyed. He’s a much bigger crybaby than Kaine would expect from someone that looks like that!
When prodded for details on what happened, Kouji struggles to hold back tears of his own and fails to answer. Hey, that’s a nice sunset!
…It’s noon, as Asuka points out.

Maria then comes over to meet with Daisuke’s friends, Ryouma giving her props for that excellent combination. All thanks to his help, she argues. She also is thankful to Kouji for encouraging her and Duke back then.
Kouji says there’s no need for that, as we’ll all be part of the same team now. And anyone that’s Duke’s friends are her friends, Maria proclaims. Kouji likes hearing that… prompting Sayaka to be confused. She tried to kill him once and he’s already getting along this nicely? “Uuurgh! Why only him…?!” Boss groans. Again, the beauty gap is too wide and off goes Boss to give Nuke what for.
Regardless, Tap and Light figure a new rival has stepped onto the stage. “Back up there, you two. Why are you looking at me?” Sayaka frowns. “You better keep your eyes open or Kouji might get hooked by someone else,” Asuka quips right back.
Challenges await Sayaka.

Didn’t Kouji actually end up hooking up with Maria instead in some manga? Mazinger Zero?

Later, Daisuke’s briefed Bright on the whole story and he’d like Maria to stay on the Nahel Argama as a pilot. Is there no problem with that? Daisuke says that, as a member of the Fleed royal family, the two of them have a duty to stand against the destructive King Vega.
Misato argues that it’d be very cruel to split apart these siblings after they finally got back together and we’ve all seen that the girl can hold her own in battle. Furthermore, Daisuke figures her powers will be useful to us.
Maria can see the future with her precognition… though, of course, it’s not the DISTANT future and she can’t use at any given moment. Still, it may let us be warned of incidents when they’re on the cusp of happening. This is an ability that about 1% of the Fleed population had.
Bright happily will permit her aboard first and foremost as Fleed's beloved sister, with the precog part as a happy extra. And, with that done, it’s time for us to start heading to Chongqing – the end of Kaine and co.’s mission awaits.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Didn’t Kouji actually end up hooking up with Maria instead in some manga? Mazinger Zero?
Yep, it was the Shin Mazinger Zero manga. Basically, from what I've heard about it, an in-universe soft reboot or some other major event caused Kouji to succumb to amnesia and move away from the main cast. When Sayaka finds him again on a farm, Kouji reveals he's married to Maria but has no memory of his past adventures. This leads into an adaptation of Grendizer's story, wherein Daisuke is a lot more reclusive compared to his classic incarnation.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I've only read like 5 or so chapters of Mazinger Zero, but it seems completely insane. There was one really awesome scene of Kouji doing a rocket punch with his own severed arm. As in, like, no robots involved, his arm gets chopped off and he just fuckin throws it at the guy who maimed him.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Super robots combining while shouting about crosses and Gai's dead. :japan:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cross action going on and the Evas dont muscle in? For shame.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Cross action going on and the Evas dont muscle in? For shame.
This is still early on in Evangelion TV, when the religious stuff was rather light and/or subtle, and the show was more a mix of teen angst and serious drama with some comedy here and there. It's understandable they'd not raise an eyebrow at Combination Cross.

Or they heard "Cross" and assumed Daisuke was saying "Combination X" because Japan does that a lot for some reason.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Alacron posted:

I've only read like 5 or so chapters of Mazinger Zero, but it seems completely insane. There was one really awesome scene of Kouji doing a rocket punch with his own severed arm. As in, like, no robots involved, his arm gets chopped off and he just fuckin throws it at the guy who maimed him.

this thread got me reading mazinger zero
up to chapter 17 or 18 now
and the insanity train never stops
it never ends...
and its sequel is getting included in super robot wars V
considering all I have seen and read about what happens, I wonder how that will work.

anyways, that is my long winded way of thanking this thread to introducing me to the sheer awesome insanity that is mazinger zero

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Alacron posted:

...jesus christ i hope this happens in SRW V

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

Bonus points if that scene is what actually inspires Shin Mazinger's Zeus to also do his rocket punch during the Kedora arc.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

Extremely doubtful. For one, the Shin Mazinger Zero manga is sadly going to be "units only" for SRW V, and we've seen its representative already (the modified Mazinger Z with a giant zero on its back in the first PV). Also, the lead up to this scene is an insane Juuzo Kabuto tentacle raping and murdering Sayaka right before attacking and chopping off Kouji's arm. No really, I am not making that part up. I highly doubt that's getting featured because SRW doesn't do brutally graphic death scenes and outright uncensored nudity on-screen.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

The new writers have taken up Go Nagai's penchant for brutality, I see.

Still, I see no reason why Banpresto can't allude to some stuff even if it's unit only...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

The new writers have taken up Go Nagai's penchant for brutality, I see.

Still, I see no reason why Banpresto can't allude to some stuff even if it's unit only...

Nagai never got into loving tentacle rape though, did he? loving Christ. :stare:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Nagai never got into loving tentacle rape though, did he? loving Christ. :stare:
Eh, it's Nagai. I'm sure he did at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I'll bet even money it showed up in Devilman Lady at one point or another.

• Locked thread