Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Anne Whateley posted:

No, one rule of thumb (take it or leave it) is that you should have something alive in every room. So if you want you can stick a fish tank in one, but all the other rooms should have one or more plants to add life and movement to the space. You can disagree if you want, but it is a current principle, and not an '80s thing.

Yeah I put plants in most rooms because they are natural air filters and my mccmansion is next to a highway (hello nox)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Sagebrush posted:

is this a feng shui thing or what

because i've never heard that before in my life
It's not a feng shui thing, it's a regular American interior design thing. Like groupings of odd numbers, or the height to hang art, or where/how to hang curtains, different lighting sources within a room, etc. This stuff makes some spaces look put-together and others look like awkward goon dens even if you can't put your finger on why. It's also a little job security for professional interior designers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My landlord's wife is some hot poo poo interior designer and after our last suite inspection he said his wife liked our place a lot. Feels good man. Need more plants I guess though!

Oh also our building has no emergency lights in the stairwells. The power went out a while ago and the hallways were ok but there stairs were pitch black. Nice.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

A plant in every room is too many things for me to kill through neglect.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

I can't have houseplants because the cat will relentlessly seek them out, eat parts of them, and then barf those parts up. Every day until the plant is gone.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Jordanis posted:

I can't have houseplants because the cat will relentlessly seek them out, eat parts of them, and then barf those parts up. Every day until the plant is gone.

I have a cat who does this and he also seems to have figured out that my wife is a vegetarian because he will rip a plant straight out of a pot, shake it like he was snapping the neck of a mouse or whatever, and deliver it to her (or her office chair or whatever). He also likes pastries and will try and yank doughnuts or cinnamon rolls right out of your hand.

We've switched to cacti.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Jordanis posted:

Sounds like a better solution for you is more cats, one for each room minimum

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

He also likes pastries and will try and yank doughnuts or cinnamon rolls right out of your hand.

We've switched to cacti.

Do the spines affect the flavor?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You can usually tell which plants are toxic to cats because those are the ones they try to eat first.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

the sexual Shiite posted:

Do the spines affect the flavor?

Actually, prickly pear makes a drat fine tart.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Magnus Praeda posted:

I have a cat who does this and he also seems to have figured out that my wife is a vegetarian because he will rip a plant straight out of a pot, shake it like he was snapping the neck of a mouse or whatever, and deliver it to her (or her office chair or whatever). He also likes pastries and will try and yank doughnuts or cinnamon rolls right out of your hand.

We've switched to cacti.

lmao A+ pussy

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Javid posted:

You can usually tell which plants are toxic to cats because those are the ones they try to eat first.

This person speaks truth.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Javid posted:

Now that our toxic plants are out of reach, my cat ignores all the rest of our plants.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maybe "house plants are an 80s thing" is an American thing because they are hell bent on killing every living thing on this planet anyway? :smugmrgw:

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Maybe "house plants are an 80s thing" is an American thing because they are hell bent on killing every living thing on this planet anyway? :smugmrgw:

No that's true, I've spent a considerable amount of time researching how to kill hedgehogs, and had even set traps and lined up a source of dry ice to kill it with CO2 (as the AVMA guidelines for euthanasia suggested as a possible method) and the drat thing moved away and didn't come back. Disappointing!

So instead I spent the afternoon spraying roundup on cracks and ant killer around the exterior of my house to take the edge off.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bozart posted:

No that's true, I've spent a considerable amount of time researching how to kill hedgehogs, and had even set traps and lined up a source of dry ice to kill it with CO2 (as the AVMA guidelines for euthanasia suggested as a possible method) and the drat thing moved away and didn't come back. Disappointing!

So instead I spent the afternoon spraying roundup on cracks and ant killer around the exterior of my house to take the edge off.

See? Here you have to pay 101€ to kill a hedgehog.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Boy this went from laughing at hilariously obvious things like 15 different kinds of windows and massively oversized pillars to smug douchebaggery criticizing minor details that don't really look that bad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I stopped to look at a jugend-style building when I was walking home from my mother's place and it was asymmetrical as hell and the windows weren't lined up and it looked great.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like the idea that a bunch of goons only live in houses designed by contemporary architects, filled with important heirloom furniture placed by interior designers.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chemmy posted:

I like the idea that a bunch of goons only live in houses designed by contemporary architects, filled with important heirloom furniture placed by interior designers.

And all the upholstery stays pristine forever, because those goons have no friends and never leave their basements.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Here's my crappy construction tale. Just did this.

Installed a toilet in the guest room of my old house. Flange wasn't quite seated properly (atop a lead drainpipe, of course!), and when I screwed the toilet down, there's a gap on the front end of about 3/8". The back is tight against the floor.

It's reasonably level and feels fairly solid. Said "gently caress it" and shimmed the front, which I'm sure to regret someday. I figure if the world doesn't turn wet after our first guests, I'll caulk the bastard and watch the ceiling downstairs.

You may now chastize me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've moved away from wax rings. The rubber ones let me gently caress up placement multiple times.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Yeah, I refuse to use wax. I hate that poo poo. The rubber is part of the reason I just gave up. I figure it's more tolerant of my mistakes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bozart posted:

Should have used a better bait.

Next time try rare gemstones.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Jordanis posted:

Sounds like you need to switch to terrariums, which also gets rid of the whole "maintenance" issue. I have one in my bedroom that I haven't touched in three years except to dust, and the plant is perfectly happy.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

crabcakes66 posted:

Boy this went from laughing at hilariously obvious things like 15 different kinds of windows and massively oversized pillars to smug douchebaggery criticizing minor details that don't really look that bad.

The brass n' glass in every room does look tacky and awful.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Youth Decay posted:

The brass n' glass in every room does look tacky and awful.

House plants. The greatest crime.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Oh hey speaking of tacky

This house just confuses me. It was built in 1969, yet it's clearly meant to look 50s mid-century modern/Barbie dreamhouse but then you've got a lot of 80s decor so it all kind of clashes into a true masterpiece time capsule unholy mess.

of course there's a carpeted bathroom

]

Linoleum straight outta my high school cafeteria

"lol we're selling this place for $835,000"

Exterior is remarkably "normal" at least

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Photoshop: File -> Mass Convert -> HDR Filter

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holy Stanley Kubrick movie set, Batman

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
For how gaudy everything is, that kitchen is painfully bland.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

This is from 10,000 pages back but w/e

there wolf posted:

This just makes me wonder if anyone has ever tried to fake floorboards/joists on their ceiling for a more rustic look.

At my mom's, not only are there fake foam beam joists, they are actually covering up real 2xwhatever ceiling joists that protrude through the ceiling, as we found out when we attempted to take one down to see how it'd look. This was for a quick remodel, and she didn't want to re-do the ceiling texture (which was left smooth under the foam beams and looked like rear end exposed), so we ended up leaving them. At least now they're the same cream color as the walls, unlike the original poo poo brown which stuck out like a sore thumb against the white ceiling.

Why the joists stick down like that is beyond me. Maybe the ceiling was originally lower before being raised to its current 8' height? Who knows.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Sounds like you need to switch to terrariums, which also gets rid of the whole "maintenance" issue. I have one in my bedroom that I haven't touched in three years except to dust, and the plant is perfectly happy.

The terrariums are full of snakes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Youth Decay posted:

Oh hey speaking of tacky
These rooms look delicious.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chemmy posted:

Counterpoint: my domiciles have not cost $3 million.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Apart from that gaudy bathroom complex, 99% of the problems are wallpaper, paint, and carpet. From that angle, the kitchen floor isn't too bad; replacing cabinets or just the doors plus a new countertop would make that a perfectly serviceable kitchen.

I'd buy that thing and spend a few weekends updating the decorating. It's a boring house without the themed rooms and I'm OK with that.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That kitchen ceiling is just sad.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Oh hey speaking of tacky

This house just confuses me. It was built in 1969, yet it's clearly meant to look 50s mid-century modern/Barbie dreamhouse but then you've got a lot of 80s decor so it all kind of clashes into a true masterpiece time capsule unholy mess.

of course there's a carpeted bathroom

]

Linoleum straight outta my high school cafeteria

"lol we're selling this place for $835,000"

Exterior is remarkably "normal" at least

Everything about this looks like a Mormon temple. But colorful. :barf:

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I'm not going to lie. It's pretty tacky, but I love it. It so over the top it wraps back around to awesome. I even like the terrazzo flooring.

Except the pink bedroom. That's a little much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If I bought that house I would only consider changing things in the kitchen. The rest of it was considered opulent when it was put in and has held up amazingly well (probably because they used high quality materials to begin with). If you can handle the intensity of the colors it is actually really nice. Finishing it in up to date styling with materials of similar quality would cost a fortune. It's not crappy construction.