Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Imgur seems to be having huge trouble uploading like 8 of my >1mg photos at a time. On the other hand, the weird LPix site doesn't even seem to support uploading more than a single photo at a time. I'm a little bit confused. I thought that Imgur was like the loving Internet's image host, yet I've been trying for the past 2 hours to upload a single 8 photo album and it can never get beyond 3 photos uploaded before erroring all over the place.

Is Imgur usually like this or am I just trying to start an LP at a really bad time?

e: all of the images are .png files, is that something that Imgur is incapable of handling?

How are u fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How are u posted:

Imgur seems to be having huge trouble uploading like 8 of my >1mg photos at a time. On the other hand, the weird LPix site doesn't even seem to support uploading more than a single photo at a time. I'm a little bit confused.

For LPix, use ShareX or Rightload, both are programs you install on your computer that let you upload pictures to image hosts without opening a browser. Both can support LPix, and I think also Imgur and tons of others. ShareX can also take screenshots itself and do a ton of automated processing on them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

How are u posted:

Is Imgur usually like this or am I just trying to start an LP at a really bad time?

It's having trouble at the moment, yes.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

How are u posted:

Imgur seems to be having huge trouble uploading like 8 of my >1mg photos at a time. On the other hand, the weird LPix site doesn't even seem to support uploading more than a single photo at a time. I'm a little bit confused. I thought that Imgur was like the loving Internet's image host, yet I've been trying for the past 2 hours to upload a single 8 photo album and it can never get beyond 3 photos uploaded before erroring all over the place.

e: all of the images are .png files, is that something that Imgur is incapable of handling?

Don't use Imgur. Use LPix with Rightload. Rightload is a standalone application that will let you batch upload to a specified host, and the LPix site has instructions on how to apply it to Rightload.

Technically you can use whatever you want but LPix was designed for SSLPs here, why not use COOL CUSTOM TOOLS?!

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 18, 2016

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Yeah, I only ever did one LP that was image-heavy and using LPix was a super nice. I only use Imgur for header images.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble getting FRAPS to record zsnes games. I have zsnes set at 1280x960 DR F and triple buffering is checked. However, when I try to record it only picks up the game sound and my microphone, it doesn't record any video. I don't believe this is a FRAPS issue since I can record from Overwatch and DOSBox just fine. The real odd thing is that I've been able to record with these settings before. In fact, I was recording just fine earlier tonight but it stopped working when I restarted my computer. Has anyone else run into this?

Is it showing the FPS counter on screen as you are playing? Sometime it has issues with older games where you have to fiddle with them until the counter pops up

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble getting FRAPS to record zsnes games. I have zsnes set at 1280x960 DR F and triple buffering is checked. However, when I try to record it only picks up the game sound and my microphone, it doesn't record any video. I don't believe this is a FRAPS issue since I can record from Overwatch and DOSBox just fine. The real odd thing is that I've been able to record with these settings before. In fact, I was recording just fine earlier tonight but it stopped working when I restarted my computer. Has anyone else run into this?

I don't use FRAPS but I did have trouble recording ZSNES out of nowhere last night. In the past I've been able to record windowed ZSNES 1.51 with OBS no problem but last night I had to put the window in the perfect upper left corner to get OBS to recognize it. Honestly, unless you absolutely need to use ZSNES, I would recommend using snes9x for your emulation needs. I don't know if it'll work properly with FRAPS though, but using OBS to record should work fine.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I'm currently recording footage for a VLP. Unfortunately, it's a PS2 game, I'm emulating for lack of hardware, and it will only work in software rendering mode, so the quality is not very good. I'm recording at 1080p, and am now thinking of downscaling the videos to 720p to help improve on the quality a bit. I'm using avisynth, and am not sure what the best resizer would be for this.
Anyone have pointers or experience with a similar situation?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

LogicalFallacy posted:

I'm currently recording footage for a VLP. Unfortunately, it's a PS2 game, I'm emulating for lack of hardware, and it will only work in software rendering mode, so the quality is not very good. I'm recording at 1080p, and am now thinking of downscaling the videos to 720p to help improve on the quality a bit. I'm using avisynth, and am not sure what the best resizer would be for this.
Anyone have pointers or experience with a similar situation?

I usually use LanczosResize for anything non-integer based like that, but I suggest hitting the Avisynth Wiki, checking the Geometric Deformation/Resizing sections of the Filters lists, and trying a few to see which you like best.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Nidoking posted:

I usually use LanczosResize for anything non-integer based like that, but I suggest hitting the Avisynth Wiki, checking the Geometric Deformation/Resizing sections of the Filters lists, and trying a few to see which you like best.
That was actually the first thing I tried, but the wiki was down last night. I'll have a look when I get off work tonight and see if I can figure it out.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

GameboyHero posted:

So this is something I wanted to bring up. Whenever I try to load ANY previous Avi file I had lying around in VDub, I get a weird error about unable to locate decompressor for format 'ULY0' or 'LAGS' to name a few. I recorded a new video in avi to make sure it's just with the old videos and it loaded it up in VDub though I get an small error like this:

The old files worked before since I have the encoded version in the same folder so I dunno what's up now. They have audio and play fine in my other media players.

I get audio no problem through aegisubs.

In case anyone is wondering I fixed GBH's problem by telling him to add atrack=-1 to the FFMS2 function call

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
How long do you guys keep your raw footage around for? I'm only 1/3 into the LP, footage-wise, and my folder is already up to 38 gigs; but I'm 99% sure the moment I delete something is the moment I realise I goofed something up and will want said footage back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I keep all my footage until the end of the LP. You might want to invest in a terabyte-ish-sized hard drive so that space isn't a significant issue. I've had LPs run up to 300gb-ish in raw footage just because either the game is really long or I had to do a bunch of extra recording.

If you don't want to do that, though, I'd say at least keep them until the relevant episode is rendered, uploaded, and posted. There's a lot that could go wrong inbetween the render and posting.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Only 38 gigs of raw footage, how cute. :allears: For real, it depends on how big of a drive you're working with, how long you want to archive it in case you need to call back to something, and a host of other reasons but cjakes has the short version. At least as until the relevant episode has been rendered and posted (and presumably given a little bit of time so that no one says "hey the audio is desynced" or whatever), otherwise as long as you're comfortable keeping it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

How long do you guys keep your raw footage around for? I'm only 1/3 into the LP, footage-wise, and my folder is already up to 38 gigs; but I'm 99% sure the moment I delete something is the moment I realise I goofed something up and will want said footage back.
Probably worth looking into something like AWS Glacier, considering, as you point out, how unlikely it is that you'll need any of it again. It's usual the traffic that costs money, not the storage, and given that you'll only use a few gigs if at all, that might be something to look into.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
For the first two or three updates I was lucky; my raw footage was usually the same length as my final episode since I could do the whole thing in one take and LL actually has fade from/to black at the beginning and end of each chapter so I could just record it, sub it and hardcode the subs/cut the tail ends in the same pass. (Seriously if you're working with subs try AviDemux, it's fantastic and much, much easier than trying to figure AviSynth out. Should I write up a tutorial for it for the thread?)

Now it's getting trickier to nail everything in one take so I'm ending up with 3 raw videos, then the edited episode and then the subbed version, and it's starting to pile up.

I'm not that desperate for space; I usually keep the latest update, the one I'm currently working on and the raw footage for the one after that in my hdd and have been dumping everything else on an external drive I have. Having said that, I'll probably get a nice roomy external drive when I fly to the States on November since my current external is the designated backup drive and I'd rather keep it as a dedicated backup instead of just more storage.

ufarn posted:

Probably worth looking into something like AWS Glacier, considering, as you point out, how unlikely it is that you'll need any of it again. It's usual the traffic that costs money, not the storage, and given that you'll only use a few gigs if at all, that might be something to look into.
I keep forgetting cloud storage is a thing, so that could also be an option. I'll look into it.

Artix posted:

Only 38 gigs of raw footage, how cute. :allears:
So far. :v:

Joking aside, how long are your raw videos for LR? Because I can easily see them being an hour long for each 15-minute chunk we actually see.

/edit: oh poo poo, I just finished uploading an episode and I just realised I can upload custom thumbnails! I only needed to verify my account, I thought it was only for "YouTube Contributors" or some poo poo. Time to fire up photoshop! :v:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 25, 2016

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I keep all my raw footage until the end of the LP, and even then I retain the originals of whatever videos I posted because as long as DMCA, contentID, and lossy compression are things I make no assumptions and neither should you.

E:

Edmond Dantes posted:

Joking aside, how long are your raw videos for LR? Because I can easily see them being an hour long for each 15-minute chunk we actually see.
I hate editing and consequently make a point to only LP games where I don't have to do much if any, but I recently switched from lq software encoding to hq hardware encoding and I just got 3gB for a ~20 min vid.

It's a good thing storage is cheap.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 25, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Since I switched to Avisynth, I've been keeping the raws of my video and audio as well as the scripts and final videos, so if I need to, I can recreate the videos with any edits that might be required later. I delete the intermediate products once I'm done the LP because they just take up space.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Yeah. I've got a 5tb external I picked up for the express purpose of storing my raw footage. If you do pick something like that up whilst visiting lovely 'Murica, you can probably get it for pretty drat cheap. It's not really a problem for me right now, since I'm currently being forced to use a codec that's only spitting out 3gb of audio/video per half hour recording. Once I switch over to lagarith again, that thing's going to fill up pretty drat fast.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I have a 4 TB internal HDD that I installed just after starting my LP and the vast majority of the data on it is my LP stuff.

I still have my raw footage, my AviSynth scripts, my encodes, all the commentary tracks and my MKV final videos saved on there.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I have a seperate 3TB HGST drive that I record all video to, and use for cutting apart and working on while editing. After I get everything done, rendered and uploaded and I've watched it and can accept the few mistakes I almost always make, I usually just encode all of the raw videos using x264 for archival purposes, that way they're much smaller and I still have them anytime I want footage from the game that isn't in the final video I did. I then take those and the final video and chuck them in a folder tucked away on a NAS that I have, and delete everything else. I usually keep the project file I used in the folder too, just in case I forget how to do a neat trick I did in that video. The clips won't show up on the timeline, but I can at least see what I did and what effects I used.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How does the new experimental H.264 AMD codec in OBS compare to the old one?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I'm having audio desync issues. The video starts to play and then a good three seconds later, the sound effect for something players. It's not in the source videos though and I've done nothing to the audio in AVISynth- however, when I preview the video from AvsPmod in an external player, the sound is desync'd there.

Any ideas?

I'm giving the solution in the OP a try ( video = video.AssumeFPS(video.FrameCount() / (video.AudioLengthF() / video.AudioRate())) ) but avspmod is teling me that it doesn't know what Video means. :(

Sion fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 29, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Sion posted:

I'm having audio desync issues. The video starts to play and then a good three seconds later, the sound effect for something players. It's not in the source videos though and I've done nothing to the audio in AVISynth- however, when I preview the video from AvsPmod in an external player, the sound is desync'd there.

Any ideas?

I'm giving the solution in the OP a try ( video = video.AssumeFPS(video.FrameCount() / (video.AudioLengthF() / video.AudioRate())) ) but avspmod is teling me that it doesn't know what Video means. :(

If you're not using video as a variable to store the video, then trying to do things to the variable video isn't going to work. It would be much easier if you just posted your script, particularly the part where you import the videos, so that if you did something wrong with the script, we can see it.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Nidoking posted:

If you're not using video as a variable to store the video, then trying to do things to the variable video isn't going to work. It would be much easier if you just posted your script, particularly the part where you import the videos, so that if you did something wrong with the script, we can see it.

code:
x=DirectShowSource("C:\Users\user\Desktop\raw film\2016-09-27-0059-16.mp4")
a=DirectShowSource("C:\Users\user\Desktop\raw film\2016-09-27-0104-27.mp4")
c=DirectShowSource("C:\Users\user\Desktop\raw film\2016-09-27-0115-54.mp4")
 Dissolve(x, a, c, 30) 
 Dissolve(last, x, 30)
 Dissolve(last, a, 30)

Crop(0, 0, -196, -0)    
Trim(1396, 45587)
Trim(530,44192)
Dissolve(Trim(0, 6860), Trim(7121, 43663), 0)
Dissolve(Trim(0, 6860), Trim(7081, 43139), 0)

FadeIn(24)
FadeOut(24)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Sion posted:

code:
x=DirectShowSource("C:\Users\user\Desktop\raw film\2016-09-27-0059-16.mp4")
a=DirectShowSource("C:\Users\user\Desktop\raw film\2016-09-27-0104-27.mp4")
c=DirectShowSource("C:\Users\user\Desktop\raw film\2016-09-27-0115-54.mp4")
 Dissolve(x, a, c, 30) 
 Dissolve(last, x, 30)
 Dissolve(last, a, 30)

Crop(0, 0, -196, -0)    
Trim(1396, 45587)
Trim(530,44192)
Dissolve(Trim(0, 6860), Trim(7121, 43663), 0)
Dissolve(Trim(0, 6860), Trim(7081, 43139), 0)

FadeIn(24)
FadeOut(24)

Well, for one thing, that's a whole lot of redundant trimming. I don't see why you'd want to repeat the first two clips at the beginning and end, then trim bits out of them, then trim out of the middle twice. But that's beside the point. Your attempt to correct the framerate failed because you used "video" as the variable when your script clearly uses x, a, and c as the variables. However, before doing that, why not try adding "fps=30" or whatever the framerate of those videos is to the DirectShowSource calls. So it's

DirectShowSource("filename", fps=num)

where num is the framerate of the video.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone who sucessfully uses Virtual Super Resolution with OBS Studio? I can't get OBS to capture the entire window with it on.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm planning on doing an SSLP of an old game that has a few neat "incidental" sound effects. In particular, when you launch the game there's a dude saying "TASKMAKER" over the splash screen, and I want to start every update with that sound. What's the best way to include short sound clips in an SSLP? Something the user can click on to play. Ideally it'd be directly embedded in the post, but I'm guessing the forum software doesn't support that, so what's the next-best option?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Record a video that includes it, extract the audio, cut it down to the little bit you want, and upload on Tindeck/Clyp/service of choice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks. I was mostly looking for service recommendations. I've seen Tindeck used for LPs in the past; shame about that "3 months without listeners" deletion policy. Anyone know if they actually follow up on that? I guess I could also just pony up the $15 for an account.

Ditto on Clyp; don't see any deletion policy there, but that doesn't mean they don't have one.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Baldurk recently offered to include mp3s on LPix (still with the 2MB limit), and the "TASKMAKER!" growl at the start of each update would probably qualify. Looking forward to that, too, I only played the Shareware version. :D

I started typing up a recommendation to try .webm, not too many LPers have taken to those yet and it's a cool way to do the splash screen + sound effect greeting so many older games had. But that's probably not too helpful without a free place to host 'em.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Wayne posted:

Baldurk recently offered to include mp3s on LPix (still with the 2MB limit), and the "TASKMAKER!" growl at the start of each update would probably qualify. Looking forward to that, too, I only played the Shareware version. :D

Oh, sweet! That works nicely. I'll have to make some kind of banner for the sound effect links, but I think that's the big technical hurdle solved. Thanks!

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
For recording 1080p 60FPS is a 5400RPM HDD fast enough?

I've got a couple of 7200RPM drives and an SSD but the slow drive has the most free space and is where I would store the videos anyway.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
My WD 3TB Red clocks in (according to Dxtory) at about 160 MB/sec. Assuming the bitrate of whatever you're recording doesn't exceed that, and that drive is only being written to, I'd imagine you'd be just fine. Now, that'll likely slow down as you get towards the outer edges of the disk, so you'll want to pay attention to that.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Touchfuzzy posted:

My WD 3TB Red clocks in (according to Dxtory) at about 160 MB/sec. Assuming the bitrate of whatever you're recording doesn't exceed that, and that drive is only being written to, I'd imagine you'd be just fine. Now, that'll likely slow down as you get towards the outer edges of the disk, so you'll want to pay attention to that.

Any sort of fragmentation will degrade disk writes faster than reaching the outer edges of the platters. It is really not a thing to keep in mind anymore unless you're riding so close to the limit that you have to format your disk every time you use it to be able to get the proper sustained speeds.

That said, make sure your disk isn't fragmented to hell and don't try to use raw video for 1080p60.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Geemer posted:

Any sort of fragmentation will degrade disk writes faster than reaching the outer edges of the platters. It is really not a thing to keep in mind anymore unless you're riding so close to the limit that you have to format your disk every time you use it to be able to get the proper sustained speeds.

That said, make sure your disk isn't fragmented to hell and don't try to use raw video for 1080p60.

This reminded me that I haven't defragmented my hard drives in multiple years so I loaded up Defraggler to check and

My recording storage drive may be a tiny bit fragmented :eyepop:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 2, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For recording, it's not so much file fragmentation, but free space fragmentation, that will typically be a problem. You just need the free space to be as few sequential blocks as possible to get full write performance. Most specialty defrag programs should have an option to just collect all the files near the start or end of the partition.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
I don't know if anybody has heard about this (I would be surprised if that were true), but Twitch is now doing open beta for uploading videos. This means it is looking like it will be a fully qualified video host to compete with Youtube. I don't know if you want to update the "Hosting" section of the opening posts, but I just thought I would mention this because at the very least with a competitor like Twitch we might finally get Youtube to actually pay attention to what everyone knows to be true about how poo poo the site is in reference to ContentID and other such nonsense.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

So this is more of a general video editing question but I'll give it a shot anyway. What's the most user friendly audio codec that you can slap into an Mp4 container? Thing is, I noticed that people who don't have state of the art codecs(or VLC player) can view my Mp4 files fine but get no audio. I just did a little test run with 3 different audio codecs(FFmpeg and Aften Ac3, Nero AAC, which all work fine for me obviously) and the laptop from my mom. She doesn't use VLC player, but has Windows 8. All three files had perfect picture but no audio at all. It's a petty thing to be concerned about I guess since most people nowadays have the right Mp4 playback tools but I'm still curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I believe there is an ISO standard way to put standard MP3 audio in MP4 files, but anything that handles MP4 files (and especially any with H.264 video in them) should also have a full-featured AAC decoder available.

Don't use AC3, it's an absolutely horrible relic of history, and there isn't an (official) standard way to put it in MP4 either.