Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Because pilots and marines can't masturbate furiously to planes painted anything but gunmetal grey or SR-71-Wannabe Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Outrail posted:

Why are they wasting money with this fancy 'stealth' coating that doesn't work when a camo paint job costs like fifty bucks? I mean it just has to look like sky/blue on the bottom and asphalt/grey on the top instead of trees and poo poo so it should be even cheaper.

I need five million dollars to develop simulated clouds with acrylic paint.

Camo paint doesn't dampen lidar/radar signals?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Because pilots and marines can't masturbate furiously to planes painted anything but gunmetal grey or SR-71-Wannabe Black.

Lies, my brother was a marine aviator and he gets all hot and bothered for the Flying Tigers paint scheme

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Outrail posted:

Why are they wasting money with this fancy 'stealth' coating that doesn't work when a camo paint job costs like fifty bucks? I mean it just has to look like sky/blue on the bottom and asphalt/grey on the top instead of trees and poo poo so it should be even cheaper.

I need five million dollars to develop simulated clouds with acrylic paint.

Are you lost?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
if we didn't develop stealth coatings how else could we give supercancer to some random enlisted dudes

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do they make stealth anti-air missiles so the plane's systems can't tell it's been fired upon?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Roylicious posted:

Camo paint doesn't dampen lidar/radar signals?

:thejoke:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Do they make stealth anti-air missiles so the plane's systems can't tell it's been fired upon?

I have zero doubt that this is in the works. Most air to air missiles have been very difficult to see on radar anyway, but that's changing with the latest radar hardware.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, missiles should cost more, right? Why the gently caress not, we're obviously made of money.

Are cruise missiles stealth yet? I think they're currently only like a hundred thousand dollars each (assuming conventional warhead) so that's obviously way too cheap.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Leperflesh posted:

I mean, missiles should cost more, right? Why the gently caress not, we're obviously made of money.

Are cruise missiles stealth yet? I think they're currently only like a hundred thousand dollars each (assuming conventional warhead) so that's obviously way too cheap.

They'd look incredibly baddass when the stealth paint catches fire as they slam through the air like a guided meteor.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Leperflesh posted:

I can assure you a TLAM is not that cheap.

That said, it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than putting a refueling plane and a couple of F-18's in the air.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

I have zero doubt that this is in the works. Most air to air missiles have been very difficult to see on radar anyway, but that's changing with the latest radar hardware.

They were tossing around LiDAR as a possible system for Anti-Missile systems for aircraft a while back. Wonder if that gained any ground.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

There was the AGM-129 (which I think is gone now?), and before that there was Senior Prom, which was basically Have Blue turned into a missile; http://www.astronautix.com/s/seniorprom.html

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Outrail posted:

They'd look incredibly baddass when the stealth paint catches fire as they slam through the air like a guided meteor.

gently caress yeah, turning into a fireball and exploding is a feature not a bug in missiles.

Just retrofit the whole f-35 program into piloted missiles

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fauxtool posted:

Just retrofit the whole f-35 program into piloted missiles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistel

:getin:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CommieGIR posted:

They were tossing around LiDAR as a possible system for Anti-Missile systems for aircraft a while back. Wonder if that gained any ground.

Maybe they can spin it off as a laser midair bug zapper.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

If you're asking if such a thing as stealthy cruise missiles exist, the answer is yes. If the question is whether the US has them, the answer is no, because every time the issue comes up people don't want to spend the money on it. We're still using variants of the Tomahawk, originally designed in the '70s.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Godholio posted:

If you're asking if such a thing as stealthy cruise missiles exist, the answer is yes. If the question is whether the US has them, the answer is no, because every time the issue comes up people don't want to spend the money on it. We're still using variants of the Tomahawk, originally designed in the '70s.

There were the AGM-129 Advanced Cruise Missiles that were withdrawn from service and destroyed a few years back due to the SORT treaty. They were chosen because they were considered too expensive and unreliable by nuclear weapon delivery standards. I imagine that at least part of the reason is also that having any nuclear stealth cruise missiles around makes it much more dangerous to deploy conventional stealth cruise missiles because it's not clear which is which to the country being shot at until they explode. That joint European stealth cruise missile doesn't have that problem for example.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

There were the AGM-129 Advanced Cruise Missiles that were withdrawn from service and destroyed a few years back due to the SORT treaty. They were chosen because they were considered too expensive and unreliable by nuclear weapon delivery standards. I imagine that at least part of the reason is also that having any nuclear stealth cruise missiles around makes it much more dangerous to deploy conventional stealth cruise missiles because it's not clear which is which to the country being shot at until they explode. That joint European stealth cruise missile doesn't have that problem for example.

I thought the JASSM was considered low observable?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

TCD posted:

I thought the JASSM was considered low observable?

That one has been in development so long I honestly thought that it eventually got cancelled in favor of the JSOW. Procurement development times are just getting way out of hand these days.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Godholio posted:

Is there a reason to think that the Tomahawk is obsolete against any possible adversary?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

Is there a reason to think that the Tomahawk is obsolete against any possible adversary?

Well, it can be shot down. And should we really wait until something (ie a cornerstone of our entire national military doctrine) is completely obsolete before replacing it?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Stealth cruise missiles incentivize first strikes. My hunch is that their development was greenlit with the hope that down the road they could be traded in treaty for someone else's destabilizing thing.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

That one has been in development so long I honestly thought that it eventually got cancelled in favor of the JSOW. Procurement development times are just getting way out of hand these days.

Well they are making the ER model and the LRASM out of it.

I think the base model is being exported.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Stealth cruise missiles incentivize first strikes. My hunch is that their development was greenlit with the hope that down the road they could be traded in treaty for someone else's destabilizing thing.

Not every cruise missile is nuclear. But yes, they have been widely used as first strike weapons in our major conflicts since the 80s.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Godholio posted:

Not every cruise missile is nuclear. But yes, they have been widely used as first strike weapons in our major conflicts since the 80s.

oh i thought every cruise missile was nuclear

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Godholio posted:

Well, it can be shot down. And should we really wait until something (ie a cornerstone of our entire national military doctrine) is completely obsolete before replacing it?

Well that depends if we'll be building an F35-alike to replace it :v:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

A missile that can launch from three different platforms but has advanced stealth coating that sometimes spontaneously combusts and makes it smell like wet farts.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Philip Rivers posted:

A missile that can launch from three different platforms but has advanced stealth coating that sometimes spontaneously combusts and makes it smell like wet farts.

But enough about your posting

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Booblord Zagats posted:

But enough about your posting

An oldie but a classic

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

its curtains for Kevin posted:

An oldie but a classic

I never seem to get a chance to use it anymore, I don't even know that dude but I just kinda saw the opportunity and heard the theme from Rocky in my head

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It's overused to death, but the timing was excellent.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

OMGVBFLOL posted:

oh i thought every cruise missile was nuclear

Conventional cruise missiles are very useful for wrecking enemy defenses before you send in the manned aircraft.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Godholio posted:

Conventional cruise missiles are very useful for wrecking enemy defenses before you send in the manned aircraft.

wow thanks i didnt know that

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Godholio posted:

By convention every f-35 is a cruise missile I just dunno if the end of the runway counts as an enemy defense

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

ethanol posted:

By convention every f-35 is a cruise missile I just dunno if the end of the runway counts as an enemy defense

It is if there are lockmart contractors at the end of it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

OMGVBFLOL posted:

wow thanks i didnt know that

It helps to minimize friendly casualties.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Someone might correct me, but if you listen to the broadcast of the "Shock and Awe" bombing of Baghdad, every time you hear what sounds like a jet passing overhead it's actually a Tomahawk, as that's what most of these explosions are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R30cbnkMG3s

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
let's be honest if Lockmart contractors aren't spending those millions of dollars making a way to paint shark teeth in stealth paint then they should have their heads' examined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

MikeCrotch posted:

let's be honest if Lockmart contractors aren't spending those millions of dollars making a way to paint shark teeth in stealth paint then they should have their heads' examined

Yeah, like no one's going to be suspicious of the giant roaring shark tearing through the sky.

Paint it up like a small tornado and noone will think twice. Am I the only one with a functioning brain around here?

• Locked thread