Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
fahrenheit is perfectly fine for every-day purposes and convincing 350 million people to change their habits for no particular reason is hard

see also: pounds, feet, miles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

shut up about your dumb units nobody cares

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spankmeister posted:

shut up about your dumb units nobody cares

they're customary

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Snapchat A Titty posted:

nah dude

1. nobody can tell the difference between 57 and 58 fahrenheit. and even if they could, thats circa half a degree celsius which most thermometers can handle & display.

2. the zero and hundred points make sense: freezing and boiling, these are useful values to know if you want to freeze or boil a thing.

3. the temperature extremes on earth are p much -50 to +50 celsius, centered on a cool freezing zero.

4. also i would have preferred if fahrenheit was at least human temperature instead of a cow's. who gives a poo poo if a cow has a fever?

5. ur a dumb

6. being used to whatever scale or thing doesnt mean its better than the thing you aren't used to.

People can definitely tell the difference between a few degreases f, especially when you're up in the 60-80 range.

Nobody irl uses temperature to figure out when stuff freezes and boils, plus those values change based on irl conditions that celcius does not take into account. People stick water in the freezer or stick it on the stove when they want it to boil. they don't pay attention to the temperature at all.

the common earth temp range in celcius is -17.7778 to 37.7778.

Fahrenheit is a scale designed for human usage on earth and at that it works really well. celcius was designed to be a scientific scale but it was based on outdated science and is now obsolete. only the biggest retard would use celsius for air temps on earth

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Dumbass foreigner: "Time to bake something! Let's set the oven to 176.667 celcius"

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Wait till Shaggar finds out about gas marks

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

tumblr hype man posted:

Wait till Shaggar finds out about gas marks

no, the blue stains on the walls were planted by (((globalists)))

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

no, the blue stains on the walls were planted by (((globalists)))

hah

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Shaggar posted:

was designed to be a scientific scale but it was based on outdated science and is now obsolete. only the biggest retard everybody outside the US would use celsius for air temps on earth

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

Dumbass foreigner: "Time to bake something! Let's set the oven to 176.667 celcius"

lomarf

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they're customary

i like it when they call them Imperial units

like america is gonna invade and force you to change

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well England failed so now it's up to us

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

One reason why American food is different is because it has to be baked to a different multiple of 10 than anywhere else

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i thought we had infected canadia w/ fahrenheit for baking and weather since we make all of their ovens and thermometers and they receive a lot of our news media/forecasts due to all of them living within 50 miles of the border

i mean naturally quebec is gonna be different but aren't they always

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I don't care about any of this slapfighting, but: lol Quebec

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Captain Foo posted:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i thought we had infected canadia w/ fahrenheit for baking and weather since we make all of their ovens and thermometers and they receive a lot of our news media/forecasts due to all of them living within 50 miles of the border

fahrenheit isn't used for weather in canada at all (unless you're over 60)

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Montreal owns and I want to go back

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Canada is weird, they have kilograms and Celsius, but they say aluminum.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
how loving stupid do you have to be to think that canada uses fahrenheit for anything

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yes that's what I posted.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

canada still uses imperial units for lumber measurements

probably because they ship all their lumber to us :getin:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Shaggar posted:

People can definitely tell the difference between a few degreases f, especially when you're up in the 60-80 range.

Nobody irl uses temperature to figure out when stuff freezes and boils, plus those values change based on irl conditions that celcius does not take into account. People stick water in the freezer or stick it on the stove when they want it to boil. they don't pay attention to the temperature at all.

the common earth temp range in celcius is -17.7778 to 37.7778.

Fahrenheit is a scale designed for human usage on earth and at that it works really well. celcius was designed to be a scientific scale but it was based on outdated science and is now obsolete. only the biggest retard would use celsius for air temps on earth

lmao

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Shaggar posted:

in my country we use C for everything, it works fine, have you considered that you might be a loving idiot?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
You use it because you're used to it and you don't know any better.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Shaggar posted:

You use it because you're used to it and you don't know any better.

yeah if i was used to it it probably wouldnt feel so weird. here it also has stigma because we used to use it before metric, so all the old racist people use it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

ah yes, 350 degrees fahrenheit, the universally constant temperature at which bread bakes. set the oven to 175 celsius and you'll just end up with a pile of mush

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

canada is complicated

it was basically the same situation as the USA until the 1970s, using imperial units and moving towards metrication. except where the USA became lazy and snotty and gave up, canada managed to get most of the way until a conservative prime minister stalled it in 1985 when the conversion was 95% complete, the last incomplete step being to make the use of imperial units illegal for trade.

so in the end the canadian system officially requires SI, but you'll regularly see, for instance, stores advertising meat for sale in pounds (though officially they have to sell it per hundred grams [though small businesses are exempt from this requirement]).

almost every canadian uses celsius for the weather, even older ones, because that's how the weather report goes. however, everyone knows their height in feet and inches, even though your driver's license has it in centimeters.

if an oven has a dial it will be dual units. the only people i know who use celsius on the oven are people who immigrated from another country after learning to cook there. everyone else uses fahrenheit because cookbooks are from america.

people know their weight in pounds more commonly than they do in kilograms, again because of media. the doctor will tell you in kg but it's more important to be able to compare yourself to the american celebrity du jour.

you buy fuel in litres and drive in kilometers, but everyone knows their car's fuel efficiency in miles per gallon because of american advertising (and because all canadian cars still have miles on the gauge, etc, being dual-market designs). this led to a really stupid situation where the canadian govt told car dealers that they weren't allowed to use MPG because it wasn't an SI unit, and they had to use the official SI litres-per-100km figure. everyone loathed that change, because (1) people want to know how far they can drive on a tank, not how much gas they need to buy to go an arbitrary distance, and (2) no one had any idea whether a car that gets 5.4l/100km was any good. so after six months or so the government recanted and said "okay, you can use MPG...but you can't use dirty US customary gallons. we are purportedly part of the british empire and you will use the imperial gallon for your calculations."

so end result is that canadian cars all appear to get really great gas mileage on the sticker because the MPG figure is using a gallon that's 20% larger.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 2, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mishaq posted:

canada still uses imperial units for lumber measurements

probably because they ship all their lumber to us :getin:

oh yeah, this one too -- standardization in the construction industry. all the measurements in a canadian hardware store are identical to an american one. it drives me bananas because it means that a purportedly metric country only has the one sad bin of expensive metric fasteners over in the corner and everything else is dumbass 5/16-18 or whatever

spankmeister posted:

Canada is weird, they have kilograms and Celsius, but they say aluminum.

aluminum is the correct spelling.

Dislike button posted:

Montreal owns and I want to go back

confirmed

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

the strange case of Dr. Radian and Mr. Degree

he's here to gently caress up your trigonometric functions because you didn't convert your god drat units

supreme laffo if you don't insist on radians and enforce that with an iron fist

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
"hurr i'm american and i'm gonna use a measurement system that uses eighths because i'm incapable of understanding what a decimal is"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

ah yes, 350 degrees fahrenheit, the universally constant temperature at which bread bakes. set the oven to 175 celsius and you'll just end up with a pile of mush

canada is complicated

it was basically the same situation as the USA until the 1970s, using imperial units and moving towards metrication. except where the USA became lazy and snotty and gave up, canada managed to get most of the way until a conservative prime minister stalled it in 1985 when the conversion was 95% complete, the last incomplete step being to make the use of imperial units illegal for trade.

so in the end the canadian system officially requires SI, but you'll regularly see, for instance, stores advertising meat for sale in pounds (though officially they have to sell it per hundred grams [though small businesses are exempt from this requirement]).

almost every canadian uses celsius for the weather, even older ones, because that's how the weather report goes. however, everyone knows their height in feet and inches, even though your driver's license has it in centimeters.

if an oven has a dial it will be dual units. the only people i know who use celsius on the oven are people who immigrated from another country after learning to cook there. everyone else uses fahrenheit because cookbooks are from america.

people know their weight in pounds more commonly than they do in kilograms, again because of media. the doctor will tell you in kg but it's more important to be able to compare yourself to the american celebrity du jour.

you buy fuel in litres and drive in kilometers, but everyone knows their car's fuel efficiency in miles per gallon because of american advertising (and because all canadian cars still have miles on the gauge, etc, being dual-market designs). this led to a really stupid situation where the canadian govt told car dealers that they weren't allowed to use MPG because it wasn't an SI unit, and they had to use the official SI litres-per-100km figure. everyone loathed that change, because (1) people want to know how far they can drive on a tank, not how much gas they need to buy to go an arbitrary distance, and (2) no one had any idea whether a car that gets 5.4l/100km was any good. so after six months or so the government recanted and said "okay, you can use MPG...but you can't use dirty US customary gallons. we are purportedly part of the british empire and you will use the imperial gallon for your calculations."

so end result is that canadian cars all appear to get really great gas mileage on the sticker because the MPG figure is using a gallon that's 20% larger.

lol Canada is so dumb.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Improbable Lobster posted:

"hurr i'm american and i'm gonna use a measurement system that uses eighths because i'm incapable of understanding what a decimal is"

sorry that you hate using binary over decimal

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

its because non-americans don't use measurements irl otherwise you'd understand why eighths and sixteenths and thirty-seconds are useful

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Quebec is why you guys have such hosed up keyboards. pwnt.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

its because non-americans don't use measurements irl otherwise you'd understand why eighths and sixteenths and thirty-seconds are useful

fractional measurements are good in cooking and lumber. everywhere else they're useless garbage.

i make a special effort to have all of my tools in dual units: metric and decimal inches. no fractional inches in my household, goddamnit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sorry you cant understand fractions I guess.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

sorry you cant understand fractions I guess.

-- shaggar, to the grizzled 70-year-old machinist on his retirement from rocketdyne

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

1.75"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

dont post my dick size