Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Erebus posted:

I'm going to assume what you were listening to was Drew and Mike. I don't know if they made it or where they got it, but if you go to this archive of their past shows and get the November 4, 2010 episode, it starts at about 144 minutes in.

holy poo poo you are an amazing human being thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

DrTempest posted:

Thr only other one that's remotely close I can think is Fastball's The Way. Perhaps that?

Nope.

Remember, the catchy chorus has an instantly recognizable "you've heard it everywhere" sound to it.

Liquid Banjo
Dec 23, 2009

full of mama's homemade pemmican
Uh this might be a longshot but does anyone recognize the tune in this?
https://www.instagram.com/p/1Ugz-Fr-mj/

Sounds like it might not be in English which makes lyric identification near impossible.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I played in the pit in high school, and my senior year we did one that I can't remember the name of. It was all Gershwin tunes, but I believe it was assembled posthumously. I know "They Can't Take That Away From Me" was in it, and I'm pretty sure it had "Someone to Watch Over Me" as well. I believe the plot involved a composer from out east and his apprentice or something. The apprentice went west and convinced the people in whatever town he landed in that he was the composer. Anyone have any ideas?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I remember seeing a video on Deadspin or a similar site a couple of years ago that featured a couple of androgynous 20 somethings discovering their sexuality in a dilapidated old house. I liked the tune but haven't been able to find it again.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Synthetic Hermit posted:

It's driving me nuts. It's one of those songs that everyone's heard, but can't put a face to. Real FM radio/muzak material.

Now I want to take some shots at this because this was right up my alley when I was spinning for the world most milquetoast AAC radio station:

Dexter Freebish - Leaving Town or My Madonna
Good Charlotte - The Anthem
Nine Days - Story of a Girl
Stroke 9 - Kick Some rear end or Little Black Backpack (skip to the chorus, it's got some tonal shifts)
Butthole Surfers - Dracula from Houston
Sasha - There She Goes Again
Lucky Boys Confusion - Bossman
James - Laid
Better than Ezra - Good or Extra-Ordinary or Recognize
Spacehog - In the Meantime
The Refreshments - Down Together or Banditos
Zebrahead - Get Back or (shudder) Playmate of the Year
Long shot Jump Little Children - Habit

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I was going to guess 'Steal My Sunshine'.

Instead I'll guess The Moola Song:
https://jordybirch.bandcamp.com/track/the-moola-song

Other guesses:
Evan And Jaron - Crazy For This Girl
Wave - Think It Over
Wave - Thats How It Feels
Blessid Union of Souls - Hey Leonardo (She Likes Me for Me)
Bryan Adams - On A Day Like Today
David Usher - A Day In The Life
David Usher - Alone In The Universe
David Usher - Black Black Heart
David Usher - My Way Out
Jason Mraz - The Remedy (I Won't Worry)
Robbie Williams - Feel
Lifehouse - Hanging By A Moment
Luce - Good Day
Our Lady Peace - Is Anybody Home
Puddle of Mud - Blurry
Snow - The Plum Song
Spek - I'm A Hippie
Sugar Ray - Someday
Theory Of A Deadman - Make Up Your Mind

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I myself need some help.

I've been trying to upgrade and properly purchase the music of my younger years, but I can't seem to find this specific remix of Gorillaz's 'On Melancholy Hill':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17P5s_hAF0A

Please give it a listen and let me know if you know which remix this is. I looked to see if I could piece it together from the original (since it's only the same chunk repeated 3 times), but that's not possible with the vocals fading beyond the 'start point' of the sample, and vocaloid effects where the remix has none.

Thanks!

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Thanks for the guesses. Dexter Freebish - Leaving Town has some of the right catchy-yet-bland vibe, Dracula From Houston has the right kind of vocals (except for the backing vocals - I don't think the mystery song has any), and the hook in James - Laid has some similarities (though too up-front). But otherwise, these are missing the mark. In general, too obscure, too indie, too emotional, too edgy. The mystery song is like a dance song that has generic rock rhythm guitar and isn't really that danceable. It's VERY easy on the ears. Absolute perfect mall/supermarket music. In fact, here's a song I recently heard in a supermarket that has the exact same overproduced, bland vibe, and similar (though even MORE disinterested) vocals.

Aside from Big Shiny Tunes, here's another relevant compilation series from Canada. On that first release, Edwyn Collins - A Girl Like You has a lot of similarities, though a touch too loud and busy.

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I was going to guess 'Steal My Sunshine'.

Instead I'll guess The Moola Song:
https://jordybirch.bandcamp.com/track/the-moola-song

Other guesses:

None of these either. The singer is more mature than most of them, and there's no acoustic guitar or horn section.

I can at least say that Theory Of A Deadman - Make Up Your Mind does check the box of "you've heard it everywhere but probably can't put a name to it".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok I gotta ask. Is this some sort of running joke or is everyone just really passionate about finding his song?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Are you Canadian? Would you recognize staple Canadiana? What you consider obscure might throw some of us off.

For instance, The Tragically Hip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGRNEJiD3PY

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I've been trying to upgrade and properly purchase the music of my younger years, but I can't seem to find this specific remix of Gorillaz's 'On Melancholy Hill':

I doubt that's something you could purchase anyway. It sounds less like a remix and more like someone only had one chunk of the song and tried to extend it out to full length, like when people tried to create extended edits of Get Lucky based only on the first SNL ad.

veni veni veni posted:

Ok I gotta ask. Is this some sort of running joke or is everyone just really passionate about finding his song?

It's a vague request about a style that was really popular, which makes it feel like it's really familiar and it's on the tip of your tongue. He's basically found the musical version of "It doesn't do anything, that's the beauty of it."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, but like most people get like one or 2 guesses and people have been making effort posts trying to figure his song out for a month. I'm pretty sure he's just loving with you guys at this point.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, but like most people get like one or 2 guesses and people have been making effort posts trying to figure his song out for a month. I'm pretty sure he's just loving with you guys at this point.

That was my assumption after a certain point.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Are you Canadian? Would you recognize staple Canadiana? What you consider obscure might throw some of us off.

Yes, I'm Canadian, and I'm pretty well versed in 90's Canadiana.

When I say "obscure", I mean stuff that charted very low, got very limited airplay, and never got a foothold in the larger listening consciousness, regardless of country. I highly doubt this is the case for the mystery song, which I recall hearing quite often. Unfortunately, I can't narrow down the time period any more than after 1995 and before 2006.

Erebus posted:

It's a vague request about a style that was really popular, which makes it feel like it's really familiar and it's on the tip of your tongue. He's basically found the musical version of "It doesn't do anything, that's the beauty of it."

Exactly.

veni veni veni posted:

The problem is that people haven't been paying full attention to the clues I've provided. They keep suggesting grunge, emo, acoustic, soft rock, indie rock, etc. The song is closer to Prozzäk than Crash Test Dummies. If you really want to help, go back, re-read what I've said about the song's various elements, and narrow down your suggestions accordingly.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I don't think the man who heroically maintains this forum's AC/DC thread would gently caress with people in that way.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Synthetic Hermit posted:

The problem is that people haven't been paying full attention to the clues I've provided. They keep suggesting grunge, emo, acoustic, soft rock, indie rock, etc. The song is closer to Prozzäk than Crash Test Dummies. If you really want to help, go back, re-read what I've said about the song's various elements, and narrow down your suggestions accordingly.
The problem is that nobody has any idea what song this is going to be, you saying it has similarities to literally dozens of songs that have been suggested doesn't help to narrow it down it just makes it even harder to know what you're looking for. People aren't robots that can program in the various vague elements you're looking for and auto search their brains for one that fits all of them. I don't understand why you can't buy a USB mic for like 5 bucks and hum the tune, or why you don't have any way of doing this to begin with. It's 2016.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Also, several of your clarifying clues have been contradictory. Not that I care. It's a fun diversion that has introduced me to 3-4 songs that the kid in me really digs.

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

I played in the pit in high school, and my senior year we did one that I can't remember the name of. It was all Gershwin tunes, but I believe it was assembled posthumously. I know "They Can't Take That Away From Me" was in it, and I'm pretty sure it had "Someone to Watch Over Me" as well. I believe the plot involved a composer from out east and his apprentice or something. The apprentice went west and convinced the people in whatever town he landed in that he was the composer. Anyone have any ideas?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_for_You_(musical)

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I gave up on Mr. Canada a long time ago when it was apparent it was going to take a lucky guess. And if it's lucky guessing, the OP can do the searching himself since he's the one who knows what it sounds like, not me.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Theoretically, at some point we will post every track within those years.

Perhaps the mystery song is contained in this Radiohead sextuplet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bGPPBoh9E8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_qMagfZtv8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPLEbAVjiLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBH97ma9YiI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7hvGPLexL0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO4bjdWXIhg

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

At this point it'd be faster to just go back to the jukebox and look at the selection.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Also, several of your clarifying clues have been contradictory. Not that I care. It's a fun diversion that has introduced me to 3-4 songs that the kid in me really digs.

I'd be happy to clear up any supposed contradictions. Just point them out. :)

It's definitely not Radiohead. The singer's nowhere near that wimpy.

Here's an example of people not following my instructions. Please stop suggesting songs with acoustic guitar, clean guitar, or lead guitar. The song is nothing more than a single, disinterested adult male vocalist, a dance-esque drumbeat, and rock rhythm guitar, with polished production. I understand how broad this is, but I warned you at the beginning. I highly suggest focusing only on songs that are bland aside from a very hooky chorus.

No song I've heard during this process has a closer vibe than Big Sugar - Diggin' A Hole. All it needs is clean, weaker vocals and a bit of smoothing off the edges.

I have no use for a microphone on my computer aside from VERY occasional moments like this. Besides, I can't recall the melody exactly. I know of no other like it, though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

sing it into your phone

some half-remembered poo poo is way more useful than nothing

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjZqgk6FEyw&t=492s

at this point the video for this song (back in the day when music videos meant $10 mil spent on a miniature action movie) breaks down into a dance sequence, but it's an entirely different song. Anyone recognize it? Was it cut just for the video?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Erebus posted:

I doubt that's something you could purchase anyway. It sounds less like a remix and more like someone only had one chunk of the song and tried to extend it out to full length, like when people tried to create extended edits of Get Lucky based only on the first SNL ad.

That's what I'd almost hoped, since I could re-cut the original song myself but unfortunately there's enough small differences to make that difficult. If some fan put it together they must have added the "splash" effects to mask their cuts.

Edit:
It won't match Synthetic Hermit's criteria, but I'm going to guess Marcy Playground - Sex And Candy anyways.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

sing it into your phone

some half-remembered poo poo is way more useful than nothing

I already said I don't have a smartphone. I consider them pointless toys. I do have a pre-paid flip phone for emergencies, FYI.

I'm not going to keep playing the justification game. If you don't want to help, then just don't.

P.S. I've already said that similarities to the mystery song's hooky chorus can be found in Istanbul (Not Constantinople) and Truck Got Stuck. I have yet to hear a suggestion with a chorus melody anything like these.

EDIT

Tomero_the_Great posted:

It won't match Synthetic Hermit's criteria, but I'm going to guess Marcy Playground - Sex And Candy anyways.

Not a bad guess, actually. Too droll, unfortunately.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 3, 2016

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjZqgk6FEyw&t=492s
at this point the video for this song (back in the day when music videos meant $10 mil spent on a miniature action movie) breaks down into a dance sequence, but it's an entirely different song. Anyone recognize it? Was it cut just for the video?

SoundHound app suggests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cBDbgRO1qY

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Not a bad guess, actually. Too droll, unfortunately.

Money City Maniacs by Sloan (or similar era Sloan?)
https://vimeo.com/24406724
or this maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9KfKx8PmM

Both those were on the first few Big Shiny Tunes which is probably your best bet.

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy
Did anyone guess something by CW McCall yet, like "Convoy"?

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Elrobot posted:

Money City Maniacs by Sloan (or similar era Sloan?)
https://vimeo.com/24406724
or this maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ9KfKx8PmM

Both those were on the first few Big Shiny Tunes which is probably your best bet.

No. The song leans more towards pop than rock, and has no hip-hop influence either.

I've been through a number of BST and Now! tracks, as well as countless YouTube and Pandora suggestions, and I got a big load of zilch out of it. That's why I'm asking you fellows...

LL_Ghoul_J posted:

Did anyone guess something by CW McCall yet, like "Convoy"?

No, because it's a mid 90's to early 2000's song, and not country.

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 4, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It sounds like a slightly different mix, but the original is better because War is way underrated, so, yeah, thanks.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I've been in a halloween mood and I'm trying to remember an album I used to have

It was either synths or organs over recordings of seances or exorcisms. I think it was late 60s

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
Nevermind!

a pwn cocktail fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 6, 2016

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

Long shot, but does anybody know if KCRW's 'Morning Becomes Eclectic' episodes are available online? I need it to identify a song that is not listed in their playlist because it was a background song during one of their breaks. I know the most recent one is available for play online, but I am looking for an episode from a month ago.

Finally identified the song. It was Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy. Given that I listen to tons of Tycho and Bonobo, I could have found this song much earlier if I had just let the playlist advance a couple of songs further.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

theHUNGERian posted:

Finally identified the song. It was Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy. Given that I listen to tons of Tycho and Bonobo, I could have found this song much earlier if I had just let the playlist advance a couple of songs further.

may we all (HINT HINT) learn from your prudence and not ever ask of the thread an impossible task about some bullshit 2000s canadian blip.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Sorry about this since it's more Canadiana bullshit, but I'm looking for two songs from at least 3 years ago that used to be played regularly on CBC Radio 3.

I only know a set of lyrics from each of them. The first one is "Never going to get out of this house, you win."

The second is "I want to break your back and leave you paralyzed." I think the song title of this one is Paralyzed? It's from some no-name person with two independent LP's under their belt at best.

Google is useless for both of these unless I'm just searching completely incompetently. The second one is going to be super unknown, but the first might actually be someone with more than one (canadian indie) hit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

life is a joke posted:

may we all (HINT HINT) learn from your prudence and not ever ask of the thread an impossible task about some bullshit 2000s canadian blip.

Boards of Canada is neither bullshit nor Canadian but I appreciate the sentiment in your post nonetheless.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
a song where a line goes something like "talking to you is like i never heard a voice before" or something like that. it sounds vaguely countryish in my memory but that might be completely wrong. male singer i think

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
This is killing me. I think maybe I can't find it because I'm mishearing a lyric or something, but Google is giving me nothing. If anyone wants to take a crack at it:
http://www.filedropper.com/untitled1_2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Is that mystery song I Want You by Savage Garden? I was just randomly reminded of the talking singing that you were talking ago and that popped into my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQt6jIKNwgU