Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Shai-Hulud posted:

This is my edition of Mein Kampf:

So I need at least three seats anyway, might as well let everyone know that Hitler stole their seat!

I feel like I should ask you why you have a copy of Mein Kampf but it is likely just for historical study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
It's the new edition as far as I can tell which is released by the Institute of history with annotations and poo poo.

Imo the best way they could have gone with it.

Also yeah Kindles rule, I have so many books on me and I can get them in any language without having to go to specialized book stores. I'm just sad they don't replicate the smell of book yet. Like little perfume sprayer.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
"Sorry not sorry" - 1,576 Points

Jesus Christ.

"Just a little dump of double standards" - 5,853 Points

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The first half of the image is pretty :smith: but the second half is pretty :stare:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

These things always make me wonder what world the person posting them is living in. Like, when are women praised for hitting men? And if Jack Thompson was ignored and forgotten, how is it that years later you can so easily reference him and have people recognise him?

The weird thing about Rebecca Black is, she's actually a decent singer. It's just that the people her parents paid to make that video were so implausibly bad at their job that they did literally everything wrong.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Fathis Munk posted:

It's the new edition as far as I can tell which is released by the Institute of history with annotations and poo poo.

Imo the best way they could have gone with it.

Yeah it's pretty interesting especially with the annotations explaining a lot of historical context and changes the book went through.

I barely scratched it's surface though since, you know, it's two thousand pages of hitlers writing and writing about hitlers writing so it's pretty drat exhausting.

They also go as far as documenting spelling differences between different editions of the book which doesn't exactly make for riveting reading.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Tiggum posted:

These things always make me wonder what world the person posting them is living in. Like, when are women praised for hitting men? And if Jack Thompson was ignored and forgotten, how is it that years later you can so easily reference him and have people recognise him?

The weird thing about Rebecca Black is, she's actually a decent singer. It's just that the people her parents paid to make that video were so implausibly bad at their job that they did literally everything wrong.

I just love how it's obvious they couldn't even watch the first 20 seconds of a Fem Freq video because she starts them off with "This does not make a game objectively bad, you can still enjoy a game while recognizing its flaws" and yet they get "Video games turn you sexist" out of that.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

You'd think that given all the ones previous to this that they'd be happy that a man was being treated better than a

Oh wait he's black never mind

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Ularg posted:

I just love how it's obvious they couldn't even watch the first 20 seconds of a Fem Freq video because she starts them off with "This does not make a game objectively bad, you can still enjoy a game while recognizing its flaws" and yet they get "Video games turn you sexist" out of that.

It's worth noting that none of them actually watch the videos they talk about, but at this point that's kind of obvious.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I think the real irony is that these dipshits rely on FemFreq continuing to release content so that they can keep the views coming to their own channels. If Sarkeeskan ever stopped, as many of them profess to wanting her to, they'd make a lot less money on their channels.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
The FemFreq videos are pretty good in a "gender studies 101" kind of way. The only real criticism I have is that Anita really took a while to get out of her lecturing habits and talk in a way more suitable to the format of the videos.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I actually learnt poo poo from her, but before those videos I was your cishet never had any reason to think beyond his boundaries person, so I owe a debt to her for expanding my horizon

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Intoluene posted:

The FemFreq videos are pretty good in a "gender studies 101" kind of way. The only real criticism I have is that Anita really took a while to get out of her lecturing habits and talk in a way more suitable to the format of the videos.

I literally used them that way this term (and as an example of basic evidence-based argumentation). One male student who... ah... "knows all about gamergate" had said that he had "heard about her" but had never before seen one of her videos, and it was not at all what he expected given the vitriol she receives online. I guess from what he had heard he half expected to see her spout invented lies about how Lego had been marketed disproportionately to boys and then call for mandatory castration of all white males.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Anita's output is alright. Especially after she learned to smile like a white person.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I love the vitriol people have for Anita considering her videos are incredibly softball. I can't even understand how people get so frothing angry about this poo poo. I can only imagine the screaming hordes have never seen one and have no idea what she actually says and just have built this image up of a "shrill feminazi" in their heads

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Yeah it is incredibly feminism 101, but for someone who has never had a reason to challenge themselves that is enough for beginners

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I mean you shouldn't be vitriolic at her, and you should be open to learning

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011

Funzo posted:

It's worth noting that none of them actually watch the videos they talk about, but at this point that's kind of obvious.

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that something like 70 people disliked one of Sarkeesian's just-uploaded videos before it was even possible to fully watch it.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

sex shop clearance rack posted:

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that something like 70 people disliked one of Sarkeesian's just-uploaded videos before it was even possible to fully watch it.

Lol

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Glagha posted:

I love the vitriol people have for Anita considering her videos are incredibly softball. I can't even understand how people get so frothing angry about this poo poo. I can only imagine the screaming hordes have never seen one and have no idea what she actually says and just have built this image up of a "shrill feminazi" in their heads

It's the same ilk as ol' vagina bones from yesterday. Boys who absolutely can not deal with even the idea of being told their toys might in some way be less than perfect

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Plom Bar posted:

ol' vagina bones

Mods please give me a mulligan on the GBS namechange thread in favor of this thanks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Well no wonder this one is in favour of women, the man is being led off in Wonder Woman's magic lasso at the end.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Plom Bar posted:

It's the same ilk as ol' vagina bones from yesterday. Boys who absolutely can not deal with even the idea of being told their toys might in some way be less than perfect

There is this strange irrational fear some of these guys have about how games might change. They see stuff in their games toned down and scream :byodood: "Censorship!" without even stopping to think about how many other non-white male 18-30 roles have been 'censored' this whole time. They also think this change is a zero-sum kind of thing. As though the more inclusive we try to make games the less it will appeal to straight white guys. But I really doubt games with eye candy that cater to them will go away, its just that there will be a lot more variety outside of this genre in addition. I think some nerd guys also get really territorial when it comes to their subculture. They think it is 'their' thing, and other groups coming in and changing it is treated as some kind of attack.

Also, I'm embarrassed to admit I had to squint at that illustration for a bit to figure out what they meant by 'vagina bones' (pubic bone? mons? some kind of calcified tunnel supporting the vagina I've never heard of up to this point?).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well no wonder this one is in favour of women, the man is being led off in Wonder Woman's magic lasso at the end.

It's just going to make him tell the truth. What does he have to fear?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Leavemywife posted:

It's just going to make him tell the truth. What does he have to fear?

Introspection.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Intoluene posted:

I only watched some of the early ones, and although I think they weren't very good, they were miles ahead of anything I've seen a university lecturer do, because university lecturers absolutely suck at presentation. Lectures are the worst. They are boring to sit through no matter how interesting you find the subject, because no one ever teaches lecturers how to effectively present their material.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

she learned to smile like a white person.
What does that even mean?

Glagha posted:

I love the vitriol people have for Anita considering her videos are incredibly softball.
I watched some of her videos back when she was first gaining notoriety and that was my big problem with them. What she says is so basic and uncontroversial that I find her videos completely pointless to watch because I feel like it's someone spending ten minutes trying to convince me that the sky is blue. I loving know, why are you doing this?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Empty and dead, like she's had her soul sucked out.

at least that's what i assume from watching white people smile on tv

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Well, as Jordan Owen explains,

https://youtu.be/TuJDbO6gGs4

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Oh! Like a hhhhhwite person!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Panfilo posted:

There is this strange irrational fear some of these guys have about how games might change. They see stuff in their games toned down and scream :byodood: "Censorship!" without even stopping to think about how many other non-white male 18-30 roles have been 'censored' this whole time. They also think this change is a zero-sum kind of thing. As though the more inclusive we try to make games the less it will appeal to straight white guys. But I really doubt games with eye candy that cater to them will go away, its just that there will be a lot more variety outside of this genre in addition. I think some nerd guys also get really territorial when it comes to their subculture. They think it is 'their' thing, and other groups coming in and changing it is treated as some kind of attack.

Also, I'm embarrassed to admit I had to squint at that illustration for a bit to figure out what they meant by 'vagina bones' (pubic bone? mons? some kind of calcified tunnel supporting the vagina I've never heard of up to this point?).

They seriously believed that SJWs kept the new Dead Or Alive volleyball thing from coming to the west, and not that it just wouldn't sell enough here to justify localizing it.

I don't understand how anyone can say this, then look in the mirror and say "Yea, I'm a decent human being. Not racist or sexist at all"

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Tiggum posted:

I only watched some of the early ones, and although I think they weren't very good, they were miles ahead of anything I've seen a university lecturer do, because university lecturers absolutely suck at presentation. Lectures are the worst. They are boring to sit through no matter how interesting you find the subject, because no one ever teaches lecturers how to effectively present their material.

I watched some of her videos back when she was first gaining notoriety and that was my big problem with them. What she says is so basic and uncontroversial that I find her videos completely pointless to watch because I feel like it's someone spending ten minutes trying to convince me that the sky is blue. I loving know, why are you doing this?

If you get nothing from Anita's videos you are probably not the target audience. It's not really preaching to the choir, it's presenting an incredibly simplified version of "hey idk if you knew but the sky is blue" to people that will scream on twitter that the sky is, in fact, red, and anyone trying to tell them otherwise is an islamocommienazi.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Tiggum posted:

One of my friends sent me this video of hers because he found it really eye-opening and thought I would too. It had literally never occurred to him that it's something that's bugged girls and women for decades.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiggum posted:

How do you feel about people putting up YouTube videos with basic math or history lessons on them?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I used to be one of those "there's no WHITE HISTORY MONTH or STRAIGHT PRIDE PARADES" idiots because I came up in a tiny Midwest town of 500, graduating from a class of like 80. I was fortunate to end up interacting with people on online fora that were anything but echo chambers for my sheltered and hitherto unchallenged ninio blanco idiocy.

Things that make you acknowledge that other people exist and experience things differently are good. If Anita's admittedly 101-level "intro to basic feminist concepts" reaches a few people, that's probably cool.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

How do you feel about people putting up YouTube videos with basic math or history lessons on them?

To be clear, I'm not saying that her videos are bad or have no value or whatever, I was basically just trying to echo the point that they're so low-key that the backlash against them seem pretty ridiculous. Like, I know that there are people who don't have the levels of maths ability I got from school, and to them a video series bringing them up to that level is incredibly useful, but if there were a whole lot of people vehemently against those videos then that would be weird because it's such a basic, accepted thing that it makes no sense to disagree with it.

I did say that I had a problem with her videos, but my problem was based on what I'd heard about them, because I encountered the opposition to them before her actual videos, so I was expecting a lot more from them than is actually there. When a whole lot of people say "these are some dangerous ideas that threaten our way of life" you expect to hear something you don't already agree with as a basic foundational assumption. It's like if you hear about this video series challenging the foundations of capitalism and it's actually a series on grade 6 maths. You're going to be disappointed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiggum posted:

To be clear, I'm not saying that her videos are bad or have no value or whatever

So when you said "why are you doing this?" you meant something else entirely. I think that's where I got confused, thanks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tiggum posted:

If these things were so obvious that they didn't need to be explained and articulated, they wouldn't be problems.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

So when you said "why are you doing this?" you meant something else entirely. I think that's where I got confused, thanks.

I meant it from my own personal perspective. Like, if someone came up to me and started telling me how to do addition, I'd be wondering why they'd do that because I'm not six years old.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
My stepdad is pretty racist but the more he's directly exposed to different people the less racist he becomes. He used to rant about "drat illegals" but the second he met my (latina) wife he suddenly shut up about it. He'd do similar rants about asian people then my cousin married a Japanese guy and my stepdad similarly shut up about it. Wife and I joked if his daughter married a black muslim guy then it would pretty much plug all the racist holes in his brain, and he'd eventually have a bunch of biracial grandkids to dote on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Listened to the whole thing and came away not knowing a single thing about what he means by that.